As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So if I could not get into XML, would I like this game? I work at Sears, and see commercials for it every 15 minutes, and it looks kind of fun. XML was more fun for me to watch than it was for me to play though.

Probably not. It's the same style of gameplay as XML, with a larger stable of characters and some new mechanics in terms of the costumes/stats.

cytorak on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    cytorak wrote:
    So if I could not get into XML, would I like this game? I work at Sears, and see commercials for it every 15 minutes, and it looks kind of fun. XML was more fun for me to watch than it was for me to play though.

Probably not. It's the same style of gameplay as XML, with a larger stable of characters and some new mechanics in terms of the costumes/stats.

It's soooooo much prettier than XML though, at least on a 360.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    cytorak wrote:
    I think using Ultimate Nick Fury to kill [spoiler:a5bbf4851a]Dr. Doom[/spoiler:a5bbf4851a] singlehandedly, after he spent so much time and effort to assemble the Earth's greatest heroes, is irony distilled.

Not really.

Ultimate Nick Fury is such a fucking bad-ass.

He probably assembled the other heroes just so someone would be there see him be awesome.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    awesome_andyawesome_andy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    How are the wii controls?

awesome_andy on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    cytorak wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe I will rent it some time in the future when I get one of the new consoles.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    How are the wii controls?

Goofy at first and I personally will forget to use certain moves like the popup attack or the knockback attack. But once you get used to it they are easy to use.

Marathon on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Arise Chicken! Arise!

Just wanted to ask about some input on Moon Knight, since I can't seem to find much about his powers and costume options. I can find names and descriptions, but no impressions on how well his powers do and don't work. Any of you Wii and 360 players have any opinions?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Arise Chicken! Arise!

Just wanted to ask about some input on Moon Knight, since I can't seem to find much about his powers and costume options. I can find names and descriptions, but no impressions on how well his powers do and don't work. Any of you Wii and 360 players have any opinions?
    He's decent, his staff slam is a pretty damn good area attack and his "Bo Staff Melee" thingamajig where his normal melee attacks are replaced with staff attacks can be a godsend. However his costumes suck, Ultimate Moon Knight is essentially him with the hood down and Koshnu is just the normal costume with some gold embroidary.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Arise Chicken! Arise!

He's decent, his staff slam is a pretty damn good area attack and his "Bo Staff Melee" thingamajig where his normal melee attacks are replaced with staff attacks can be a godsend. However his costumes suck, Ultimate Moon Knight is essentially him with the hood down and Koshnu is just the normal costume with some gold embroidary.

Ok so Staff Slam and the Staff Melee thing, check. I know Mandarin's White Ring makes him use his staff all the time, so that's a nice glitch. Any other input?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man this game is awesome.

I was in Stark Tower and I was all

"Is that Vision? OH SHIT IT IS THIS GAME ROCKS"

I have done this with about 6 other heroes as well.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Arise Chicken! Arise!

Ok so Staff Slam and the Staff Melee thing, check. I know Mandarin's White Ring makes him use his staff all the time, so that's a nice glitch. Any other input?

Forget everything except Cable Shot and Nunchaku, those are the two heavy hitters for Moon Knight. Emphasis on his Nunchaku. He grinds bosses into a fine powdered dust with those things in mere seconds, all you need to worry about is supplying him with energy. They eat up energy fast, but they eat up enemies faster.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Arise Chicken! Arise!

Forget everything except Cable Shot and Nunchaku, those are the two heavy hitters for Moon Knight. Emphasis on his Nunchaku. He grinds bosses into a fine powdered dust with those things in mere seconds, all you need to worry about is supplying him with energy. They eat up energy fast, but they eat up enemies faster.

The buffs suck then?

Right now I want to use Spidey, Cap, Wade, Stark, Thor, and probably DD, Doc, and Moon Knight.

I want to stick with Cap, Spidey and Wade....I'm just having trouble on filling the forth as this is my first playthrough (So I don't have DD or Doc yet), which leaves Moony, Stark and Thor.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Arise Chicken! Arise!

The buffs suck then?

Right now I want to use Spidey, Cap, Wade, Stark, Thor, and probably DD, Doc, and Moon Knight.

I want to stick with Cap, Spidey and Wade....I'm just having toruble on filling the forth as this is my first playthrough (So I don't have DD or Doc yet), which leaves Moony, Stark and Thor.
    Since you have Cap and Deaddy who are both damn good tanks and brawlers I'd throw Tony in, he's ungodly with ranged attacks.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The team I end up using and loving so much is

Strange, Deadpool, Human Torch, and Daredevil.

Favorite thing to do with bosses is switch between Strange, Deaddy, and Torch and use up all the power of Mystic Bolts, Dualshot, and Fireballs. Feel ridiculously powerful. And if that doesn't kill them, I use a baton smash from Daredevil to finish things off.

The only annoying thing about the Wii controls is the nunchuk controlling the camera. I always end up forgetting it and have the camera swirling around during a battle.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh yeah, another question. Xtremes. Do they need to be mapped to a button for the CPU controlled players or do they go off on their own?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh yeah, another question. Xtremes. Do they need to be mapped to a button for the CPU controlled players or do they go off on their own?

On the Wii at least, they'll only use them when you use your controlled character's one. Which is great, except when one of them is off by himself and wastes it blowing up a barrel or some shit.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Arise Chicken! Arise!

The buffs suck then?

I want to stick with Cap, Spidey and Wade....I'm just having toruble on filling the forth as this is my first playthrough (So I don't have DD or Doc yet), which leaves Moony, Stark and Thor.

It's less that they suck, and more that they are insignificant before the awesome might that is Moon Knight's nunchaku. I have no idea what they're made of, but evidently no one can stand before them. :lol:

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    According to the staff description, which is adamantium. So the nunchuks are probably adamantium too.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    According to the staff description, which is adamantium. So the nunchuks are probably adamantium too.

That would explain a lot. I kind of found it odd when Blackheart, who's supposed to be a big shit, got the arse kicked out of him five times, each ass whooping taking two to four seconds worth of nunchaku flurry.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:

That would explain a lot. I kind of found it odd when Blackheart, who's supposed to be a big shit, got the arse kicked out of him five times, each ass whooping taking two to four seconds worth of nunchaku flurry.

You know, you can destory the pod things he comes out of. Meaning that you would only have to kick his ass once if you wanted.

Marathon on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Artheleron wrote:

On the Wii at least, they'll only use them when you use your controlled character's one. Which is great, except when one of them is off by himself and wastes it blowing up a barrel or some shit.

I dont know about that. When I was playing on the Wii, our CPU controlled characters were not only the most frustrating thing ever in the Mandarin fight (they kept attacking the bugs before we could put them to good use!), but they activated the Xtreme sequence at times that would make you CRINGE, with no warning or provocation.

I never had that problem on my 360. Also, I dont think I ever mapped the Xtremes to the CPU characters on my 360, and they used 'em anyway.

Inx on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I never had a problem with my characters screwing me over in boss battles in the Wii, but for some reason, Dr. Strange REALLY liked jumping off cliffs.

Also: Ghost Rider's revive ability. Has anyone ever used it?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I never had a problem with my characters screwing me over in boss battles in the Wii, but for some reason, Dr. Strange REALLY liked jumping off cliffs.

Also: Ghost Rider's revive ability. Has anyone ever used it?

Iron Man loves to just dive right off a cliff, must be due to the lack of booze in the game.

Ive had GR's revive ability activate once on me, it's pretty handy.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

You know, you can destory the pod things he comes out of. Meaning that you would only have to kick his ass once if you wanted.

With Moon Knight's nunchaku, I actually expend less effort letting him come to me and die than I would running to the pods.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

With Moon Knight's nunchaku, I actually expend less effort letting him come to me and die than I would running to the pods.

Yeah, when you described it I figured you had done well enough that it did'nt matter. It was just something that I noticed while I was playing..I have yet to use Moon Knight.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ok this is odd, I unlocked both of Spidey's suits through combat and Ultimate Deadpool. For some reason it won't unlock the other combat costume. Is it just kills, kills done in melee or kills done with powers? I'm almost done with Atlantis and I still don't have it.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ok this is odd, I unlocked both of Spidey's suits through combat and Ultimate Deadpool. For some reason it won't unlock the other combat costume. Is it just kills, kills done in melee or kills done with powers? I'm almost done with Atlantis and I still don't have it.

Two you opening by gaining a certain number of levels with the character. The 4th costume is unlocked by doing the missions on the CD's you find laying around.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:

Two you opening by gaining a certain number of levels with the character. The 4th costume is unlocked by doing the missions on the CD's you find laying around.

Ah I thought I read somewhere you need to kill 100+ guys for the 3rd costume. Ok so a few more level ups should do it I hope.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NondocNondoc Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Costume unlocks are based on kills not levels. It's sopmething like 30 kills for the first, then an additional 150 for the next. Note that you have to be in control of the character you want to unlock them for to get any of the kills counted.

Nondoc on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've been solo'ing with Thor for the past couple of days. That hammer makes things so easy.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nondoc wrote:
    Costume unlocks are based on kills not levels. It's sopmething like 30 kills for the first, then an additional 150 for the next. Note that you have to be in control of the character you want to unlock them for to get any of the kills counted.

I figured I hit 150 by now, which is why I asked.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Something else, what Team Skills are worth using points on? I have 4 so far.

Also, when is it going to let me use Xtreme powers? I'm at the start of Act 2.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MartmanMartman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Haha, you just need two points to get an Xtreme power. I really hate that they didn't explain that.

Martman on
    TheFishF wrote:
    dude you going to answer my question or just say words that make no sence :?
    My Mario Kart DS Friend Code: 051-600-286-877
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Martman wrote:

Haha, you just need two points to get an Xtreme power. I really hate that they didn't explain that.

Sweet Merciful God! That's all? Yeah, explaining that somewhere in the game would have helped. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Martman wrote:

Sweet Merciful God! That's all? Yeah, explaining that somehwere in the game would have helped. =)

Yeah, as for team skills, I maxed health and momentum pretty fast, solely because health is always nice, and momentum means that as long as you wail on helpless minions throughout the level, you can hit the bosses with some harsh xtreme attacks pretty regularly.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY AM I FIGHTING DARK ELVES AND UNDEAD VIKINGS?

Seriously, holy retarded. I thought the opening level was cool, Omega base was kinda more of the same but still ok ... and arcade's place was kinda fun/funny ... but why am I fighting supersoldier/trolls that look like WoW orcs, and dark elves, and undead vikings ...

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    do you not pay attention to the story

you're in valhalla, dude

Whippy on
  • Options
    laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

you're in valhalla, dude

Uhhh, dude, I watch the cutscenes too, but continuity doesn't make fighting elves and orcs any less over-the-top terrible.

The only way they could one up the stupid factor on Valhalla as a centerpiece of the game would be replace spider-man as a playable character with Longshot.

(I love comics, but 3 levels based on a locale from a book whose greatest strength was its ability to get canceled? yeesh. Get your movie marketing people off of my games .. I want to see a Thor movie less than I did before.)

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

you're in valhalla, dude

(I love comics, but 3 levels based on a locale from a book whose greatest strength was its ability to get canceled? yeesh. Get your movie marketing people off of my games .. I want to see a Thor movie less than I did before.)

Hahaha

Okay there, buddy. You don't like Valhalla. We get it. But the fact that a place based on Norse mythology has creatures from Norse mythology does not make it retarded.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    This dislike for Norse mythology offends my sensibilities!

Fiaryn on