As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metalsmithin' n wood n stuff (Update Feb 1)

Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Heres some of my semi-recent work that I have made with in the last year. Sorry for the poor image quality.

First project had to be a tea infuser. The form had to some how be related to tea/tea culture. The infuser is a tea blossom, the actual ball in the center is where the tea is placed. This isn't a functional piece.

img0039gl2.jpg

img0037zd1.jpg

Second project was based upon oldschool die forming. The project was about making a container about losing something. I based mine upon Van Gogh cutting his ear off.

img0041jm9.jpg

img0042kp5.jpg

img0044iq0.jpg

This final set of pictures is from the castings I had to do. The assignment was to make a set of five rings that transformed. Ring 1-5 had to look different, but display a coherent transformation. I chose to do a ring into a bear trap.

img0054de2.jpg

img0047vp5.jpg

img0052uh8.jpg

It is painful to wear.

I'll have a few of my newer pieces up on Tuesday or Wed.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
Forbe! on

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dude, you rock. That's seriously some cool shit you got going on. If that ring didn't hurt, I'd buy a few off you.

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Och! I've got plenty of respect for people who work in metal. Such a frickin hard medium, there is little room for error. Love the tea infuser, very cool design.

Mustang on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm actually in the process of making some larger bear trap rings out of silver. It isn't that painful to wear, I just have fat sausage fingers.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    NO ONE CARES FORBE
    ;P
    will you make me a beartrap ring?

beavotron on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I tried working with metal only once, and it was enough for me to have mad respect for people who are willing to do it. I really like the tea infuser and the rings. Unfortunately, I also have fat sausage fingers and likely wouldn't be able to wear them.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited March 2008
    Beavo you jerkass.
    Mebbeh if you are nice to me and give me your ring size.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Beavo you jerkass.
    Mebbeh if you are nice to me and give me your ring size.

Hey! HEY! I asked first, man! ME!

Tam on
    edited March 2008
    Do you know your ring size?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    oh god oh god YES
    i don't know my ring size!
    um... very small, does that help?
    guh, i'll find out. how do i find out?

beavotron on
    edited March 2008
    Do you own a ring that fits well? If you can't get the real measurement, measure the inner most diameter of the ring.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    see the ring that fits well fits that finger well
    but i don't want to wear the new ring on the same finger
    i'll just take a piece of tape measure and measure my finger, how about that?

i love jewelry i'll commission you to make me lots of neat things.
    in exchange for some sort of compensation
    like money or something, i dunno...

beavotron on
    edited March 2008
    If you have something more specific that you want, you can draw it up, and I can see how feasible it is to make. I also have some broaches/pins I've been working on.

I'm gonna make a set of etched Star Trek pins for my own enjoyment. I suppose I could really make any image into a pin.
    st2jr3.jpg

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    Imma get a mezherment. I WILL HAVE THE RING! How much, by the way?

Tam on
    edited March 2008
    That depends on the size of your finger and the weight of the silver.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    I have a U.S. size 7.5 middle finger.

Tam on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hot damn, Forbe, these are fantastic!

I love the tea infuser.

I am also dying for one of those lovely rings. :o

Sheri on
    edited March 2008
    Didn't think they would be that big of a hit. Guess I need to buy some sterling casting grain :O

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    img0060gn2.jpg

First stone setting I did from a few years back.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait, so if I designed a ring that was along similar lines to that one and paid you, you could make it? Do you have some sort of vague estimate for how much you would charge for something along these lines for an average ring size?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited March 2008
    I suppose I could. I am kind of pressed for time at the moment, especially if I'm gonna have to make a few of these bear traps. Silver is about $20/Ounce. Depending on the amount of work put into it (I guess $10/hr is reasonable for a student). Roughly speaking...$50-$100 sounds about reasonable for me. Then again it all is depending on the complexity of the ring and the overall weight. You can always draw something up and I can take a look at it. If I can't get it done this semester, I certainly will be able to next semester.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    will you make a heavy's gun into a pendant for me?
    i swear i'd kiss your friggen face off.

beavotron on
    edited March 2008
    img0022ze0.jpg

My most recent piece. The project assigned to us was to create a Vinaigrette/Pomander. A vinaigrette is a Victorian piece of body adornment which would carry a scent, usually lavender or an essential oil. It was used to cover the bodies odor and provide pleasant smell to the user. I chose to do a modern take on a vinaigrette, using the smell of Anise (Absinthe/Licorice). The piece is meant to be placed in the pocket (there is no chain for it at the moment), but it would be attached to the bail/clasp (the chain lookin doo-dad). So in other words, it would be worn like a pocket watch. I still need to refinish the surface and replace the bail chain/clasp.

Anyways.

img0003ln3.jpg

The front design has been acid etched on. The design is not my own.

img0008ru7.jpg

The bail, as you can see, doubles as a lentil clasp, which holds the two inside pieces together. The top cap is tension fit, and is removable so you can open the inside.

img0013ep0.jpg

The innermost box contains a piece of felt, which is what holds the scent. I decided to put an image on the inside, which would be intimate to the owner of the piece, because they will not be opening the box often to change the scent.

img0016or5.jpg

img0021kx7.jpg

Here is a close up of the inside piece which carries the felt. The image is of death holding an hour glass and smoking a pipe. The words "We drink to die" are etched beneath the image.

img0030hx5.jpg

Here is the backside of both boxes. The inside set of holes are larger to give the owner the ability to change the felt or refresh the scent.

I don't know what you are exactly talking about Beavo. An etching or an actual 3d model of the gun? I'd be willing to do some work for y'all but I need to know what chu want.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dude. These rock so hard.

Corgi on
    edited March 2008
    "We Drink to Die"
    Nice.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That is awesome. Make me a cigarrette holder with the words "We smoke so you die" on it :D

Lly on
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    Also I just got a copy of the slides my Professor took. I'm applying for a scholarship with these images.
    joej305ap1hd2.jpg
    joej305ap2aiy4.jpg
    joej305ap2bph5.jpg
    joej305ap3zv6.jpg
    joej305bp1awn1.jpg
    joej305bp1bpq0.jpg
    joej305bp1cxk5.jpg
    Some of these were taken before I finished cleanup.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fookin hell Forbe, that vinaigrette is freakin awesome.

Mustang on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dyou get A's on all of these?

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited March 2008
    All A's except the set of rings and the Vinaigrette. I have a tendancy to get the forms and objects completely done, but not finish the cleanup, which is why I got Bs, along with some conceptual problems. Thankyou 'stang.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    holy fucking shit, the vinaigrette is fucking amazing

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2008
    These new pictures make them look even more awesome. Good luck with the sholarship.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that these are all great, and should get As. I think the uncleaned look is pretty neat on the rings and vinaigrette.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited March 2008
    So here is a piece I just finished. It is a test piece for a body of work I intend to complete over summer. I work at a summer camp teaching blacksmithing, so I won't have access to a traditional metals studio. I will be focusing mostly on cold forming/joining techniques, sawing, ect ect. I hope to complete 20-40 broaches to show at the beginning of next semester.

img0051ek7.jpg
    All steel, except for a copper backing and nickel rivets. There is steel wool inset in the hole, and steel brush bristles coming out the side. I guess this is my ode to rust removal.

img0037ei3.jpg
    An image to show the relative size.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    This is my latest piece. The assignment was to make some sort of toy utilizing die-forming. Die forming is the way that those old tin wind up toy were made. I decided to make a bubble pipe in the shape of one that a grown-up would use. The bowl of this piece was die-formed, top and bottom. The stem is made of a hand drawn copper tubing, and the mouth piece is a pipe mouth piece.
    img0019dv4.jpg

img0020rp3.jpg

img0021ux0.jpg

img0022qg7.jpg

img0006tz5.jpg

BIG BUBBLE!
    img0013hq8.jpg

img0016kh4.jpg

Anyways, huge image dump. I'm probably going to make a second one, or at least repaint this one. I was thinking about putting some sort of metal accents around the stem and the rim of the bowl. I will probably end up making a new one, and leave it metal.

This piece is probably going to be part of a series. I wanted to make a kind of 'Young Gentleman's Kit' including a flask for the bubble solution, and maybe a cigarette case with bubble blowers or candy cigarettes (if I could find them). I am also planning on getting someone to do some graphic design work for me, make some packaging for the set.

C&C Appreciated.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited March 2008
    drawingsrq3.jpg

Drawings of a few pieces I am either working on or preparing to work on.

The pill pin is almost done. And I am thinking of making some light up constellation pins. I figure, maybe I will drill out the holes in correspondence to each star in the constellation to let the light through. Then etch the form of the constellation around it, in the case of Ursa Minor/Major, a bear.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    More pro images from my professor.

joej305bp2kr5.jpg

joej305bp2awj2.jpg

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    That's one slick pipe.
    And an even slicker beard.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Great work. I love the idea of a young gentleman's kit. Maybe a hip flask for soda in the same colours as the pipe?

EDIT: Love the beard.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Yes. Soda.

bombardier on