As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Frank Miller's "300" - This is Sparta!!!!!

124»

• ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just finished an essay on this. This is the Battle of Thermopylae. Relatively historically accurate, but I wrote it in an hour for a bullshit english class. Enjoy, those who don't know the story.

There are three virtues that are demanded of soldier in order to improve their performance on the battle field;self-sacrifice, discipline and courage. It is not a mystery as to why these three qualities are expected to be exercised in soldiers today and those throughout history. An army who exercises these three virtues will be immortalized on the field of battle for eternity. The 300 Spartans who fought to the death in the Battle of Thermopylae is the epitome of this philosophy. Born to be soldiers, trained from birth to be the fiercest, most disciplined and dedicated warriors in the ancient world. 300 men fought to the death, crippling an army over over sixty times it's own size. It will go down in history as the greatest last stand of all time.

During his reign as king of the Persians, Xerxes led an army of massive proportions through the Mediterranean, conquering all who stood in his path in the name of his father, Darius, who was defeated by the Greeks ten years earlier at Marathon. While the actual size of the Persian army is uncertain, Herodotus, who wrote the first history on the Battle of Thermopylae, recorded the army's size around 1.7 million soldiers, with the number rising another million if the navy were to be included. The size of the Persian army if a great source of debate among historians today. Numbers range from more than 500,000 to around 2.5 million. Xerxes spent over four years assembling his army, gathering supplies and rations from every corner of his kingdom. It was said that when the army stopped to quench it's thirst, it drained entire rivers dry.

In 481 BC, when the alliance of Greek city-states called congress in Corinth. The massive Persian army was quickly approaching and a defense needed to be mounted. The legendary Spartans, supremely disciplined warriors who were trained from birth to be soldiers, led the alliance with their king, Leonidas. With a force of less than 5,000 warriors, the Greeks were vastly outnumbered and fighting the Persians head on would be tantamount to suicide. Instead, the Greeks intended to delay the Persians as much as possible as they waited for reinforcements to arrive and win the battle in a decisive naval victory. It was decided at this congress that the most effective location to mount their defensive was the mountain pass of Thermopylae.

Fifty feet at it's widest and even thinner at some points, the pass at Thermopylae was enclosed by a mountain to the west and ocean to the east. Ruins of a fallen wall from a shrine rested in the middle of the pass. It was the only pass large enough for Xerxes' massive army to pass through, and detouring around it would create massive delays and losses for the Persians. Upon arriving at the pass, the Greeks quickly rushed to rebuild the fallen wall to increase their defenses. Their strategy should have worked, but it seemed as if the fates were working against them. The Persians crossed the sea into Greece much faster than expected, and reinforcements the Greeks had been expecting had not arrived. Consequently, they were not prepared for the attack.

Knowing that the Greeks would be waiting for him, Xerxes established camp on a plain at the mouth of the pass. He sent scouts up the valley to ascertain the nature of the opposition. The scouts reported to Xerxes that the Spartans were doing calisthenics and braiding their hair in perpartion. Unaware that these were ancient Spartan traditions to prepare for battle, Xerxes was astonished at the condition of the Greek army and expected swift victory. Xerxes announced his presence and waited four days for them to leave, believing they would flee to save themselves against Xerxes' massive army. The Greeks remained steadfast in their position. Running low on supplies, Xerxes ordered an attack on the fifth day.

The Greek soldiers arranged themselves in a phalanx, establishing a wall of overlapping shields and layers of spears that spanned the entire width of the pass. The Persians, armed with arrows and short spears were unable to break through the long spears of the phalanx. They were lightly armored and proved easy victims to the superior armor, weaponry and discipline of the Greeks. The preferred tactic of the Persian army was to defeat it's opponents in volleys of arrows. They were not trained in close melee combat, being very lightly armored and carrying only short spears and daggers for protection in close combat. Instead they relied on firing arrows from a distance to subdue their enemies. After a Spartan soldier in the battle was told that Persian arrows were so numerous that they blotted out the sun, he remarked, "So much the better, we shall fight in the shade." This quote solely demonstrates the dedication and self-sacrifice the Spartans possessed. However, due to the terrain and the enclosed nature of the pass at Thermopylae, there was no chance that the volleys of arrows would prove effective and the massive numbers of the Persian army were bottlenecked into a single location, effectively negating the fact that the Greeks were so tremendously outnumbered.

Xerxes sent over 10,000 men into the pass on the first day of the attack, expecting to eliminate the Greeks with ease. However, these ten thousand claimed to have only killed two or three Greeks in entirety. On the second day, the Immortals, a legion of 10,000 of Xerxes' best warriors were sent into the pass, but forced to retreat after sustaining heavy casualties. By employing this strategy, it seemed that at this rate, the Greeks would be able to fight back the Persians for eternity. The Spartan king Leonidas established a system in which tired and weary soldiers on the front line would be rotated to the back and replaced with fresh, eager warriors. However, the Spartans fighting on the front lines were so invigorated and dedicated to the battle that they refused to rest. Their dedication would be unmatched.

After the second day, treachery struck the Greeks. A local shepherd named Ephialtes defected to the Persians and informed Xerxes of a separate path through Thermopylae, which the Persians could use to outflank the Greeks. The pass was lightly defended by less than a thousand Greeks, who had been placed there last minute when the Greeks learned of the hidden pass just before the battle. Xerxes sent the remnants of the Immortals through the pass where they were met virtually unopposed. For this act of deception, the name Ephialtes means "nightmare" and is synonymous with "traitor" in Greek, much like Benedict Arnold is in the United States.

Realizing that defending the pass further would be suicide for the entire Greek army, Leonidas ordered that all Greeks retreat, save for the 300 Spartans who remained. 700 Thespians, mere militia soldiers, also stayed with the Spartans, refusing to leave with the rest of the Greek forces. The Spartans pledged themselves to fight to the death in this pass, and would do so to the very last man.

A brutal battle followed. Fighting with a vigor from the depths of their souls, the Spartans fiercely defended the pass from the massive army who approached. Thousands upon thousands of Persians fell to the Spartans. However, the Spartans were not without their losses as well. As their numbers diminished the Spartans retreated to a small hill in the narrowest part of the pass and held their final stand upon that hilltop. The battle raged for hours. After their spears broke, the Spartans and Thespians kept fighting with their short swords, and after those broke, they were said to have fought with their bare hands, teeth and nails.

Leonidas was eventually killed but rather than surrender at the death of their king, the Spartans held fast to their ideals and fought fanatically to defend his body. To avoid losing any more men, the Persians killed the last of the Spartans with a sea of arrows. At the end of the battle, Persian losses loomed around 30,000 – 50,000 at the cost of a few thousand Greeks. Enraged by the loss of so many soldiers, Xerxes' ordered the body of Leonidas beheaded and crucified.

Although the Battle of Thermopylae was a defeat, the resolve of the Greek warriors not aided in crippling the Persian army, but also invigorated the Greek city-states, calling them to action to fend off the rest of the Persian army. Xerxes' met a final defeat in the battles of Salamis and Plantae.

Perhaps the deciding factor of this battle was the dedication of the Spartans. When the other Greek soldiers urged to flee, the Spartans refused, galvanizing the rest of the Greek army. When their strategy was broken and imminent death faced them, they still refused to flee, opting instead to sacrifice their lives to defend the pass and allow the rest of the army to flee. They courageously stood up to a massive force over sixty times it's own size. Every soldier can learn a lesson from the example set by the Spartans of ancient Greece. The Spartans proved that through self-sacrifice, dedication and courage, insurmountable odds are easily overcome.

EDIT: Fixed for readability. Sorry.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    :| Holy shit dude. Do I need to type tldr is it implied?
    God, the forum anally-raped any readability in your formatting anyway.

TankHammer on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You know, that new trailer should just be removed. The first trailer was amazing. That new one makes the film look about 1/10 as epic.

Nova_C on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nova_C wrote:
    You know, that new trailer should just be removed. The first trailer was amazing. That new one makes the film look about 1/10 as epic.
    I feel the exact opposite way. In fact I don't think I could disagree with you more than I am right now.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    I feel the exact opposite way. In fact I don't think I could disagree with you more than I am right now.

Absolutely. It's beautiful.

Scooter on
  • Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    Same... I mean what about a wall of dead bodies behind a few dudes is not epic?

Vindicta_ on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rohan wrote:
    Were Spartans really homosexual or are you guys wandering away from SE++?

Because that would have no difference on the battle. Spartans were trained from birth to fight and fight well. There is no modern day equivalent, these guys ate, slept and drank warfare. Plus their spears were longer than the greek spears.

That's why they won, not teh butt secks.

I think the closest modern-day equivalent would be the French Foreign Legion. That whole outfit is just insane.

Replying to the first quote (dont know if it was answered), the Spartans were not homosexual, or at least not as open about it as the Sacred Band of Thebes which is what this whole homosexuality thing got confused with.

The Sacred Band of Thebes consisted of 150 same-sex couples (or 300 gay dudes) and were actually a very effective force with overall high moral, since they were all lovers. In fact the Sacred Band was so efficient, they defeated the Spartans after the Peloponnesian War and became the dominant military power in Ancient Greece until Macedonia muscled its way in. The Sacred Band is one of the few examples (aside from the Spartans) of a crack military force within the Greek Hoplites/phalanxes.

Also the French Foreign Legion is pretty ridiculous, but unlike Sparta, people join it on their own will. As great as Sparta's military power was, the trade-off was they were essentially a fascist state and relied on the fear of their spartan phalanxes to hold any semblance of order.

CptKemzik on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Vindicta_ wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

Seriously. Wall of bodies, lots of screaming and jumping and some weird dancy hot chick and three-horned rhino cavalry and mutants and probably some other shit I missed. Everything about that trailer was hardcore awesome.

Vincent Grayson on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ins0mniac wrote:
    Excellent history

Aw, you left out how the Spartan's last attack was the Spartan Wedge with Leonidas at the front and they charged the Persians in an attempt to kill Xerxes. They got within a few yards of him before Leonidas was killed and they fought to retreat with his body. Xerxes actually offered the remaining Spartans their lives if they turned over Leonidas's body, but they refused.

Fellhand on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Vindicta_ wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

Seriously. Wall of bodies, lots of screaming and jumping and some weird dancy hot chick and three-horned rhino cavalry and mutants and probably some other shit I missed. Everything about that trailer was hardcore awesome.

I preferred the tension in the first trailer. It was what they didn't show/explain that made it great to watch.

This new one does TOO much to get you excited. It's overkill.

I'm worried, if past movie-going-experience has taught me anything, that the second I get out of the theater I'm gonna strip down and start cracking heads of innocent people to work off the immense battle-high I'm going to have.

TankHammer on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oooh, just checked the Wiki, this comes out 3 days after my birthday (the release being March 9th).

WOO!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nova_C wrote:
    I'm in your camp. The first trailer was better.

And don't worry about us being the only ones who think that. No. When this thread is over... the world will know that few stood against many.

Raggaholic on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I haven't bothered reading the thread, but I'll chime in with my thoughts on the trailers.

Seems like they're going for way too many "Braveheart moments" to me. I love these types of movies, but there's a fine line between the right amount of intensity and going way overboard. I hope this movie does it right.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Don't get me wrong. I thought that trailer was fuckthundering unbelievable. But I just think they showed too much stuff. It's a pet-peeve I have with movie trailers, so I'm used to it, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The trailer looks really dumb and pretty and cool. I don't know if it's going to be much of a movie though.

Also I don't know if I've seen the first or the second trailer. Only one of the links worked for me.

Low Key on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The trailers looked amazing but I was about ready to call shennanigans on the second one when Leonidas began to ramble on about freeeeedom.

But then armored rhinos began to charge across the screen and I forgave them.

Casual Eddy on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I am totally looking forwatrd to this after seeing the trailer. It looks like a complete and utter sweaty beefcake fest and I will have tickets in advance fo shizzle.

Regina Fong on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Well, that certainly filled my daily quota of naked sweaty men.

Echo on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have been pretty much going around and screaming "THIS. IS. SPARTAAAA!" all day to the annoyance of everyone around me.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    VishNub wrote:
    Rohan wrote:

Because that would have no difference on the battle. Spartans were trained from birth to fight and fight well. There is no modern day equivalent, these guys ate, slept and drank warfare. Plus their spears were longer than the greek spears.

I think the closest modern-day equivalent would be the French Foreign Legion. That whole outfit is just insane.

*surrender joke*

You can't make a surrender joke about the French Foreign Legion. None of them are French!
    CptKemzik wrote:
    Also the French Foreign Legion is pretty ridiculous, but unlike Sparta, people join it on their own will. As great as Sparta's military power was, the trade-off was they were essentially a fascist state and relied on the fear of their spartan phalanxes to hold any semblance of order.

What I meant was that the level of dedication to the training, how incredibly tough the training alone is, and that they're often sent out in tiny numbers to do the job of many. In that manner was I comparing them to the Spartans.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Rohan wrote:
    VishNub wrote:
    Rohan wrote:

*surrender joke*

You can't make a surrender joke about the French Foreign Legion. None of them are French!
    CptKemzik wrote:

What I meant was that the level of dedication to the training, how incredibly tough the training alone is, and that they're often sent out in tiny numbers to do the job of many. In that manner was I comparing them to the Spartans.

When I was in Afghanistan, some jackass started making French surrender jokes to show off to his buddies in front of some French soldiers. In his ignorance, he didn't notice that the guy was wearing the eight pointed flame grenade patch, or that the guy was a British national originally.

Never have I seen an ass kicking so brutally delivered, or chaos ensue so quickly.

siliconenhanced on