As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic - March 3rd 2008

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wait tycho doesn't like this game?

what the shit i hate this place

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sometimes Gabe & Tycho display amazingly bad taste.

For example, I can't imagine how Assassin's Creed could possibly be MORE fun (by which I mean less boring) if you play through slowly. Like, the whole problem with the game is that the things you do are really repetitive and grind-y, because there's very little variety and you have to do non-assassination-related stuff for a lot of the game. And also the combat blows because you have basically one move. So it seems like the best way to play that is to rush through and see the story events and cutscenes and crap, so that you spend a higher percentage of time doing cool shit, and a lower percentage grinding. Gabe for some reason felt that the game improved as you did less cool shit, and spent more time doing boring crap like fighting guards. (Admittedly, fighting guards would've been fun if the combat system had more than one useful move.)

Defender on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    It's called an opinion.
    People have them.
    Some people have different ones.
    It's OK.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    It's called an opinion.
    People have them.
    Some people have different ones.
    It's OK.

you are wrong

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Shut up, Wiggin.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    HOLY SHIT GUYS
    SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET HAS DIFFERENT TASTES AND OPINIONS
    HOLY JESUS THIS IS HUGE

Me Too! on
  • Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited March 2008
    You have bad taste. My taste is rad. You are wrong about my taste.

Defender wrote: »

For example, I can't imagine how Assassin's Creed could possibly be MORE fun (by which I mean less boring) if you play through slowly. Like, the whole problem with the game is that the things you do are really repetitive and grind-y, because there's very little variety and you have to do non-assassination-related stuff for a lot of the game. And also the combat blows because you have basically one move. So it seems like the best way to play that is to rush through and see the story events and cutscenes and crap, so that you spend a higher percentage of time doing cool shit, and a lower percentage grinding. Gabe for some reason felt that the game improved as you did less cool shit, and spent more time doing boring crap like fighting guards. (Admittedly, fighting guards would've been fun if the combat system had more than one useful move.)

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    oh my word

bongi on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Uh oh.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OH SNAPS

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FUCK YES

story.bill.ted.ap.jpg

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait, Gabe has been tasting Defender?

Squashua on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hahaha

sup gabe

(you should do the afghan idea, talk to khoo)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i'm giggling

Faricazy on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Come on Gabe, beat him up. Beat him up good!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Flawless victory.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    defender's wrong about the game too, it was good

bongi on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    defender is online but he just stopped posting

he is in the corner, rocking

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And there's Gabe with the block.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Block Obama.

/signed

Squashua on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gabriel wrote: »

This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on these boards

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    calling it: thread will be at the very least 8 pages now

Wow, that's a bold call to make halfway down page four with a day and a half to go. You're like some kinda latter-day Nostradamus.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    defender is online but he just stopped posting

he is in the corner, rocking

I was marked as online? That's weird. I took a friend of mine to the supermarket because she's sick and didn't want to carry stuff herself. I'm surprised it left me logged in for that long. I guess leaving my browser open does that, but if that's the case, I should be "online" almost all the time.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gabriel wrote: »

Hey, Gabe.

Pretty much expected exactly that response (was there a prize for that?), except I must say that I am surprised that you elected to post above the quote block. You "artsy" types are so devious!

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    what

what the hell are you even trying to say

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pretty much I'm going to stick with "people can have opinions that aren't yours, unless that opinion is that starving is healthy."

Me Too! on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He's noting that Gabe types his text before quote.

gabriel.png

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What I meant was, what point is he trying to advance by stating the obvious

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pretty much I'm going to stick with "people can have opinions that aren't yours, unless that opinion is that starving is healthy."

I would like to talk to you about the master clenser. It is very clensing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I would like to talk to you about the master clenser. It is very clensing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    also campion you are the best, and how have you been? Have you mostly retreated to AC

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I actually haven't posted regularly in the AC for 2-3 years, that place is only for posting my projects and sometimes pointing things out, and also lurking.
    So yeah, I've just started lurking a bit more, it goes off and on.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    campion that's rad

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    defender's wrong about the game too, it was good

Nah, in all seriousness, it was really, really bad. It looked like it was pushed out the door about 12 months early. The textures, 3D models, and animations were all really, really great. I want to give some credit for the tech, minus the pop-in and load times, but it's pretty vanilla Unreal 3, so that credit would mostly go to Epic, not Ubisoft, anyway. The problems with the game were pretty simple:

1) Combat sucked ass. Counter-attacking was ungodly powerful, and there was never a reason not to do it. There's also only one mission (the first assassination) where you can't use it, so basically every fight in the game is just "hold guard, press attack when they swing at you." That's boring as fuck, and there's no excuse for it, given that there's plenty of good combat available to study in new games (God Of War), last-generation games (Ninja Gaiden), and even games two generations back (Zelda 64).

2) The stuff you actually did in towns sucked ass. Aside from climbing and navigating towers, there was nothing to do; the town felt dead and sterile. Saving citizens was a chore, unchallenging but time-consuming (again, because of the shitty combat), and the reward was something I didn't even need and usually didn't ever use. Just the whole principle of getting a bureaucrat's permission to assassinate somebody takes away the coolness. Agent 47 gets his targets given to him in cutscenes, then the player goes and kills them. The ninja of the Azuma clan (Tenchu) get their targets in cutscenes, then the player goes and dispatches them. And I'm guessing that Sam Fisher doesn't have time to fuck around with red tape. Here, the assassin gets his target in a cutscene, then the player dicks around getting permission to kill him for 45 minutes, then spends 2-3 minutes actually shanking the guy.

The game just wasn't done. It needed to be streamlined, the combat needed to be rebalanced, and the city needed to feel more like GTA, where there's shit to do and different shops and stuff, instead of being sterile and repetitive.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Campion wrote: »
    He's noting that Gabe types his text before quote.

gabriel.png

This is a very pretty picture

And also quite accurate

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    it's definitely pointless to say this but

defender, you can't argue someone into not liking a game anymore

TheySlashThem on