As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC/Marvel Draft : Superhero General Manager

HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Graphic Violence
I had an idea stemming in a stream of conciousness type way from the name of the Scrull Draft thread. If you were to be named general manager of a superhero franchise (like in the sports team sense) in either Marvel or DC who would you draft to your squad? Assume you have to stay in the same universe for all picks and use an established team for your franchise....think of it like comic book fantasy football.

For example if I were to draft a stable for X-men....

1) Cable- He would serve as my team leader and I would go the more pro-active X-force model for the X-men as appossed to the wait until the people who hate us come knocking philosophy.

2) Gambit- I always like this guy, he has stealth, power, and the flexible morality needed to get the job done the way my X-men would.

3) Pheonix/Marvel-Girl - The Racheal Gray NOT Jean, Nice power selection, good character interactions with her sort of brother, and she is sorely in need of being put front in center in the main franchise for a lengthy run.

4) Wolverine- I know he is way over used, but I cant really picture the flagship book not having him around, plus his inability to get along with Cable and Gambit would make some nice tense moments.

5) Psylocke- Sexy somtimes asian ninja babe...nuff said... just let her be the character from the Jim Lee era and do away with all the crap they heaped on her since.

6) Forge - He is there to be technical, mystical, tactical support...seldom a field operative but always in their ear ala Oracle in DCU

7) Longshot - Always liked him and I think he is due for another shot, could see some cool fight scenes with him and Gambit, and he could give the book a little humor that it would otherwise probably lack.

8) M- I like Monet as a character for one, and I really like the idea of the team strong man being a strong woman instead.

I think this would make a cool book...and is a strong enough team to hold down the flagship title with the added bonus of not using the old mainstays.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
Hawkstone on

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think a cool teamup would be Atom (Ryan Choi) and Blue Beetle. Both young guys, both minorities (whether or not you want them to explore that stuff), both taking over the mantle of a well-established cape.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There need to be some serious constraints on picking the teams, otherwise I'm going for the unbeatable combo of Eternity, Galactus, the Living Tribunal, and probably Warlock wearing the Infinity Gauntlet.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My Marvel avengers squad would be a wetworks team with Ben Reilly in the black outfit (I'm assuming we're going alive or dead here) Agent Brand, Punisher, Bucky America (basically without the cap gear, so classic terrorist bucky), Hawkeye, and War Machine.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    There need to be some serious constraints on picking the teams, otherwise I'm going for the unbeatable combo of Eternity, Galactus, the Living Tribunal, and probably Warlock wearing the Infinity Gauntlet.

Yeah, but what would they do? How do you make the problems they would face not trivial without creating a new universe-wide problem every arc? I guess you could make it a book about nothing or maybe slice-of-life it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Running a kind of superhero fantasy league could be kind of cool...but you'd need some way to objectively measure a hero's 'performance' that month. As well as assigning a point value to them (ie dollars) for your team.

I don't play fantasy football so I don't really know how this works there, but I think it could be cool, if we could agree on a system.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Marvel-Team Up of Awesomeness:

Moon Knight
    Daredevil
    Spider-Man
    Dr. Strange
    Darkhawk
    Invincible

DarkPrimus on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Moon Knight
    Daredevil
    Spider-Man
    Dr. Strange
    Darkhawk
    Invincible

How can you count invincible though? wasn't his team up an alternate universe kind of thing?

amateurhour on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Moon Knight
    Daredevil
    Spider-Man
    Dr. Strange
    Darkhawk
    Invincible

How can you count invincible though? wasn't his team up an alternate universe kind of thing?

He was visiting the MU. So this could just be an extended visit. ;-)

DarkPrimus on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Marvel Knights / Heroes for Hire

Iron Fist
    Luke Cage
    Misty
    Colleen
    Moon Knight
    Daredevil
    Black Cat
    Spider-Man (more randomly shows up, not offical member)
    Shang-Chi (same as Spidey as I like, but don't love him)

It'd be by Brubaker / Fraction just for more Danny/Luke/Misty/Colleen and friends fun. Prince of Orphans could show up once ina while depending on how his story plays out in the current Iron Fist series. This'd probably have to be after they retcon the SHRA though, but who knows.

Also, I thought this post would be for some random version of actor / movie stock markets where you use comic book characters and they rise in value based on sales of books starring them adn stuff.

KVW on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'd say they have to fit the theme of the team(X-Force with Pixie or something)

The Muffin Man on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Didn't we do this thread once?

I think my 'theme' was along the lines of Blink, Nocturne, Mystique, She Hulk, Mercury, Marrow...

Scooter on
    edited March 2008
    Hot chicks who aren't quite normal looking?

The Muffin Man on
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, we did this thread like a year ago. Black Avengers time, people. Actually, maybe they'll be the Wakandan Avengers or something.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2008
    Everyone keeps saying spider man, but I think he's too mainstream. I hated the clone saga, but I like what they did with Reilly afterwards till they killed him. I think he'd make a great operative, because he's got all the skill, but none of the limelight, so not only is he peter parker awesome, but a little pissed because he's thought of as "peter parker awesome". I always thought it would be cool if SHIELD had him undergo some reconstructive surgery or something and made him a black-ops kind of guy.

Personally, I think he should have been the one to go through the "other" arc instead of parker.

Once again though, I am in no way endorsing or defending the clone saga.. ::shiver::

I guess he just gives me an X-23 vibe, like with a little time and development he could be a more well rounded character than the one he was based off of.

amateurhour on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay I guess I have to break out TEAM XTREEEEME once again

ROLL CALL:

250px-Thunderstrike.jpg

THUNDERSTRIKE!

With the power to be exactly like Thor

newsuit.jpg

BEN REILLY SPIDER-MAN!

Tattered Sweatshirt no more!

xman-bigcostume1.jpg

X-MAN!

Holy shit his power will kill him!

and team leader

maggott-bigcostume1.jpg

MAGGOT!

His digestive system is actually two giant maggots! Isn't that rad?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2008
    TLB I love you so much. That team is so awesome.
    But it needs more Liefeld characters.

The Muffin Man on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Boy Blue, Bigby Wolf, Ambrose Chase and Elijah Snow imo.

Mai-Kero on
    edited March 2008
    I'm fine with Spidey or one of his also-rans, but I'd like to see them on a cosmic team. I figure someone in an Iron Spider suit would work well.

wwtMask on
    edited March 2008

fret not, Muffin Man, for they meet the BAD IDEA SQUAD soon enough to bolster their ranks!

lead by BLACKWULF!

blackwulfii4.jpg

and his SHADOWLANCE fueled by our angry hero's RAGE,

CARDIAC!

250px-Cardiac.jpg,

He has a lance, too! And he flies!

SHATTERSTAR!

shatterstar.jpg

His sword is like, a double sword,

and DAMION HELLSTORM!

Hellstorm16.jpg

He's the son of Satan, or something, guys!

Their epic first meeting battle was immortalized in the classic story "NO TRUCK WITH YOU"

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like how Blackwulf is obviously black and sort of maybe a wolf...thing.

Mr Pink on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    It'd be by Brubaker / Fraction just for more Danny/Luke/Misty/Colleen and friends fun.
    Well, let's be honest. It's all Fraction.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

you are wrong on both counts, actually!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

you are wrong on both counts, actually!

He's not black? I mean, his skin looks black to me, unless that isn't his skin.
    I don't know anything about him.

Mr Pink on
    edited March 2008
    It's not his skin!

Blackwulf is a terrible character.

I should feel bad for knowing anything about him.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would like to see a Matt Fraction SHATTERSTAR series. Seriously. What's better than a sword? A double sword!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Everyone keeps saying spider man, but I think he's too mainstream. I hated the clone saga, but I like what they did with Reilly afterwards till they killed him. I think he'd make a great operative, because he's got all the skill, but none of the limelight, so not only is he peter parker awesome, but a little pissed because he's thought of as "peter parker awesome". I always thought it would be cool if SHIELD had him undergo some reconstructive surgery or something and made him a black-ops kind of guy.

Personally, I think he should have been the one to go through the "other" arc instead of parker.

Once again though, I am in no way endorsing or defending the clone saga.. ::shiver::

I guess he just gives me an X-23 vibe, like with a little time and development he could be a more well rounded character than the one he was based off of.

Lots and lots of people feel that way about post-Saga Ben Reilly.

Which is why I can get away with convincing people that he's coming back in *NEW SERIES X* at least once a year.

Hey did you guys hear that Skrull-Spidey gets his powers from Ben Reilly's reanimated corpse?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

fret not, Muffin Man, for they meet the BAD IDEA SQUAD soon enough to bolster their ranks!

lead by BLACKWULF!

blackwulfii4.jpg

and his SHADOWLANCE fueled by our angry hero's RAGE,

CARDIAC!

250px-Cardiac.jpg,

He has a lance, too! And he flies!

SHATTERSTAR!

shatterstar.jpg

His sword is like, a double sword,

and DAMION HELLSTORM!

Hellstorm16.jpg

He's the son of Satan, or something, guys!

Their epic first meeting battle was immortalized in the classic story "NO TRUCK WITH YOU"

we can't let our thing die

addendum: The All Bale Team is the only acceptable answer. Every Christian Bale has an answer for everything.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited March 2008
    Actually, since Shatterstar dual wielded his two-blade swords, it was like he was really fighting with four swords!!!!

Crimsondude on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Four swords really requires four exclamations marks, Crimsondude.

Wildcat on
    edited March 2008
    Fuck you guys, Shatterstar is awesome, with or without the double blades.

wwtMask on
    edited March 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Four swords really requires four exclamations marks, Crimsondude.

Indeed.

Crimsondude on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked Cardiac - those Bagley AMAZING issues came out when I was like eleven years old. That was right around the time of the "Round Robin" six issue bi-weekly summer crossover, too.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg