As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Vampires in Phallanka - Game Over; Village Victory!!

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Locus wrote: »
    I know you're not really accusing me Egos, but I'd just like to say that I spent most of this weekend making sure that my future wasn't going up in flames. Now that I've solved that problem I can pay more attention.

I was kinda placing odds on everyone as to be fair. Its understandable. And unfortunately those laying low could potentially go either way : good specials or vampires. Or just busy (like you said)

Egos on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually, something I've learned is that a good way to survive is to act really suspicious. Bad guys don't kill you because they figure you're taking some of the heat off of them. Good guys don't kill you because they think it's too obvious. Just sayin'.

Locus on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to place a vote on Shorn Skrotum Man.

I need to make one and he has been hiding out. That doesn't mean he's evil per say, just inactive. Most of the time it's villageer that are the inactives.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I saw the game was vampire related I was worried there would be conversions.

M.D. on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I saw the game was vampire related I was worried there would be conversions.

I'm thinking conversions would be pretty powerful in a 20 player game. Given that two vampires have already gotten killed, I'm guessing there aren't any conversions. We'll know a bit better tonight, when we find out how many vampire kills there are.

FYI,

Night 1 there were 2 vampire kills
    Night 2 there were 2 vampire kills

I'm expecting them to be down to 1 kill per night now, but we'll see when the narration hits.

El Skid on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How about this?

!Gumpy got "contacted by the seer," who "conveniently" "died day 2," at which time he "confirmed" his "identity."

Quotes aside, it's a bit convenient how the seer died the night you claim to have been contacted. Maybe he didn't seer you? Maybe he didn't even contact you... but as his supposed ex-mouthpiece, you're certainly in a safe position, eh Gumpula?

Rend on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    Gumpula

LOL

El Skid on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had the same thought Rend.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ooooOOOOOooooo

Stupid Real Life getting in the way of phallas

oooooOOOOOoooooo

JPants on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    How about this?

!Gumpy got "contacted by the seer," who "conveniently" "died day 2," at which time he "confirmed" his "identity."

Quotes aside, it's a bit convenient how the seer died the night you claim to have been contacted. Maybe he didn't seer you? Maybe he didn't even contact you... but as his supposed ex-mouthpiece, you're certainly in a safe position, eh Gumpula?

So the seer trusted me out of the blue, I announced my contact with him to the world them killed him?

Smart plan.

And the fact the no one else was contacted by the seer yesterday means what? The seer didn't send in his seering result/get in contact with who they seered/try to inform the thread they seered a vampire? What do you think he did with his day 1 seering |:

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Maybe he seered a vampire. Maybe he forgot to send in an order. Maybe his target died. There are many possibilities.

It does seem strange for you to do that if he had not contacted you. But not outside the realm of possibility.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If it wasn't the week-end I would totaly vote Gumpy. As it was, to many people were inactive.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Locus wrote: »
    Maybe he seered a vampire. Maybe he forgot to send in an order. Maybe his target died. There are many possibilities.

It does seem strange for you to do that if he had not contacted you. But not outside the realm of possibility.

I think it's very possible he came out as having been seered in order to gain credibility with the village, especially if the vamps somehow knew who the seer was, or knew that they'd killed his target, but even so, it would require the seer or a mouthpiece to come out and say "no he's not!" And then the vampires would have even MORE information about the village, at the cost of (ideally) maximum one vampire.

Rend on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !Rend

Counter-Vote! I have no solid targets to hunt down at this stage, but your reasoning smells funny.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It may not end up true, but there's a good chance (i think) that it will. Also, what else do we have to work on?

I haven't heard any more compelling arguments for where to put the vote.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Heres a list with roles so far

1. Daius (the Dentist) - Bitten & DrainedSeer
    2. Squashua
    3. Burnage
    4. Egos
    5. Stew_Stick (the Fighter) - StakedVillager
    6. Shamus
    7. Locus
    8. Gumpy
    9. Crovaxan (the Breeder) - Bitten & DrainedVillager
    10. Quoth (the Chef) - Burned AliveVampire
    11. Rend
    12. Lightor216 (the Student) - Burned AliveVillager
    13. Toxic Toys
    14. Shorn Scrotum Man
    15. Hylianbunny
    16. JPants (the Dancer) - Bitten & DrainedVampire
    17. Mr. Defecation
    18. durax (the Geologist) - StakedVillager
    19. B:L (the Baker) - Bitten & Drained Villager
    20. El Skid

Egos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    !vote Gumpy

Sorry. I don't like any of the choices people have put forward, and honestly I don't really know what to do. But I did find you to be slightly suspicious with your reveal, so there it is.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It is a bit odd though that Daius wouldn't remark at all about Gumpy's claim and he just simply voted for someone else .

Egos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thats true, but if he would have said something, he knows he would have died from vampiring, and besides, the village was already not exactly looking too highly on him (re: almost voted off the island)

Rend on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Could be the case, especially if hes new..

But durax essentially called Gumpy out, and got killed - but not by the vampires but by the vigi. One would think if the Gumpy's claim was a lure- it would have been them that did the killing.

edit: Though you could be onto something and/or it just something that needs to be verified.

Egos on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah... the evidence against Gumpy is compelling

!Gumpy

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to go !Shorn Scrotum Man. I think(could be wrong) that Daius would have said something if Gumpy was lying.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I also think someone would have said somthing had gumpy been lying.

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Honestly, I don't like the Gumpy vote.

I don't know where else to put the vote, but I really don't find the evidence against Gumpy compelling at all. I therefore feel obliged to take a shot in the dark. !Shorn Scrotum Man, unless someone else can come up with an argument in the next hour.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'd rather not have a tie, if it can be avoided. Since my vote for Gumpy was weak anyway...

!retract Gumpy
    !vote Shorn Scrotum Man

Locus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wait a minute. I so didn't want to start a bandwagon.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Look at the monster you've created!

These things tend to happen when we don't have much to go on. Hopefully, assuming the bandwagon sticks, we will have hit the mark. If not, we start again tomorrow.
    Also I am going to kick your ass in our boxing match.

Locus on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So..!vote Shorn Scrotum Man?

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm sorry Shorn Scrotum Man. I didn't want a BW to happend, but it did.
    And you are so going to loose the match Locus.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Voting for Day 3 is now closed. Narration will be up next.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sweet.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    !vote Toxic Toys for tomorrow.

I am not used to this 9:30 shit, so consider this my default vote for the day as I follow my own advice.

This also assumes I didn't get vamp'd or vigg'd.

Squashua on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    “What is that racket,” the musician wondered aloud as he approached the village square. He had heard some sort of humming all the way from his tent and had been wracking his brain trying to figure out its source. With the revelation that a Vampire had been taken out by one of her fellow monsters, the musician was slightly more care-free and had allowed his focus to wander slightly.

Rounding the last tent between him and the square, the musician simply smiled. He stopped, looked down at his bell, and chuckled. “Well, I won't be needing you tonight,” he said, walking towards the crowd of villagers already gathered around the pyre.

Everyone had an excited buzz about them from the revelations of the morning. None of the refugees could figure out why one Vampire had turned on the other, but not a one of them was going to question it. It was a great victory for the village and the people were basking in it.

By the time the musician showed up, everyone else had already gathered in the village square. They were excited, most said, to get the voting overwith for the night, confident that they would throw another monster on the fire.

The banker stepped beside the pyre and called loudly for the attention of the others. “Quiet down, we need to focus on the task at hand.”

Her voice was strong and steady, but as more of the villagers turned to listen to her, her chest started to rise and fall more quickly. It had been a while since she was the centre of attention, but she was absolutely thrilled by it.

Smiling, she continued, “We were able to burn one of those vicious monsters last night.”

A cheer went up from the crowd and the teacher called out that they would do it again. Another cheer went up from the crowd and even the banker had to smile at the prospect.

“That's right,” the banker said, “we will get another one tonight—but first, we've got to start the voting. Now here's how we are going to do it...” Clearly in her element, the banker started laying out how she wanted to vote to go for the night. It would be more orderly, she said, than before. There would be less yelling that the other nights—she thought it was silly that they had just yelled out names over one another. She was clearly determined to take charge, and even though the other villagers groaned and grumbled, their spirits were still too high from taking out two Vampires to let the bossy banker get them down.

Voting *was* more orderly and smooth than the night before and the banker smiled to herself as the mechanic, salesman, and the farmer held the politician to the stake while the butcher bound her hands and feet. The translator wasn't sure if the banker smiled because she was sure the village had found another Vampire or if she was happy to have another of the strong women out of her way. Shuddering, she bent low to the kindling and lit the fuel, ignoring the angry curses of the politician.

The fire grew more quickly than the previous nights—the scientist had gotten a bit overzealous with the fuel in his excitement—and the politicians screams were soon the only thing that could be heard in Phallanka.

The villagers were crowded too close to the pyre when the translator sparked the flames, and there was a bit of a scramble for everyone to get back far enough as the large fire quickly grew uncomfortable. The miner openly joked that they were trying to burn the politician, not themselves, but no one laughed.

The flames had already reached the politician's head and her screams had stopped. She wasn't even flailing her head around anymore. Someone gasped and suggested they had gotten another of the monsters but before anyone could agree, the politician startted sobbing.

They were loud, gasping sobs, as though the heat from the flames had stolen all the tears from her eyes, but the politician cried anyway. She screamed once more, when the fire wicked up her hair and singed her scalp, but other than that, she cried until the very end. After her initial fight, it seemed the intense pain had disconnected her mind from her body, and though she had lived as a hard and sharp woman, she died a broken and weepy mess.

“I was sure that we would get another one.” The teacher shook his head as he spoke. “We did so well the night before...” he trailed off as the scientist grabbed his shoulder.

The two men were cleaning up the ashes from the fire the night before. There had been a hollow silence as the crowd dispersed and the villagers left the square for their own tents after the fire burned out last night. It seemed the majority of the refugees had thought they were on the right track jumping on the bandwaggon against the politician. It was quiet a shock, then, to watch the politician burn and never see the insanity return to taunt them.

“It's very difficult to be certain about anything, my friend.” The scientist watched the teacher while speaking. “If there's one thing I learned from the Break, is was that.” The teacher had to agree; the Break was completely unexpected.

Before the scientist could continue, the courier came running into the square.

“Come quickly! It's the butcher.” She was nearly out of breath, but as soon as she spoke she was off running again, calling out to the translator he was just entering the other side of the square.

The teacher and the scientist looked at each other, shrugged, and then ran off towards the butcher's tent.

When the courier got back to the butcher's tent with the banker shortly behind her, the miner was draping a sheet over the butcher's body. A tiny tent rose at his chest as the sheet struggled to conceal the wooden stake that had pierced the butcher's heart.

Murmers ran through the crowd as the filed out of the butcher's tent. Some were audibly arguing about whether or not the vigilante running around was good for the village or another threat. So far only villagers had been found with pieces of wood sticking out of their chests. According to the farmer, the vigilante was either incredibly stupid, unlucky, or a cool, calculated killer.

The scientist agreed and even went so far as to suggest the idea of interrogating the entire village to determine who was attacking people when he realised that everyone had responded to the courier's calls.

Calling for everyone to be quiet, he shared his revelation with the village—no one had been attacked overnight by the monsters! As the other refugees spun around trying to see who was in the crowd aroudn them, more and more began to see what the scientist saw. Most of the villagers cheered and some laughed, saying they were safe. Everyone was congratulating each other, shaking hands and clapping shoulders and joking about how they had been afraid when the monsters first struck.

It was the salesman, however, who spoke out and killed the joyful celebration. The politician wasn't a vampire, as they all had seen, and it was clear this morning that the butcher was also not a monster, so by his count, there was still another monster out there—they still hadn't found the Vampire that killed the dancer.

The courier groaned and the mechanic cursed, but the scientist said he figured the salesman was right, and that seemed to convince the others. Dejected, the villagers agreed to meet in the square for another vote at the end of the day, and sullenly walked off to their own tents. The cheerful mood of the village was gone again and Phallanka seemed once more clouded with despair.

Results:
    Dead:
    Burnage (the Butcher)
    Shorn Scrotum Man (the Politician)

Roles Removed:
    Villager
    Villager

Day 4 will end on Tuesday, @ 2130 EST

I realise my error with the matching of Character names to Player names instead of Role names, but for the sake of consistency, I am maintaining the method I started with. Sorry that I did not think that through right before I started.

LaOs on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    So... no vampire attacks? 2 of them dead must have really neutered them.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ok so how do we want to handle things from here if there is only one of them?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    We find them and kill them, just like always. The lack of vampire kills is puzzling. I'm thinking three possibilities.

1) The vampires, as Squashua suggested, were heavily neutered.
    2) There was kill overlap.
    3) The vampires just didn't show up today.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well that is odd. Why would there be overlap? Unless the vamps are not reading the thread or the vig is attacking people that had a vote on them.

Both are a little retarded for any one paying attention.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    My theory is as follows:

1) There were 4 vampires out of 20 villagers
    2) They each get kills every second day
    3) The two that were killed were odd-night vampires
    4) There will be 2 kills tonight
    5) The vampires either did not start networked, or only started in night-paired networks(even day vamps paired, odd-day vamps paired)

This theory fits the available evidence... As I say, we'll have to see what happens tonight to confirm most of it.

I'll post more later, but I recommend that if you agree with this assessment, we might want to go back through the thread and look at people who post "in tandem"- If the remaining two vampires are networked, that could be a clue.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    El skid is most likely right. That or the last vamps are a bit inactive.

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Not a bad theory El Skid. I'd just keep in mind that badguys tend to not talk to each other in the game thread, for fear of implicating themselves.

Personally, I think we should be looking at people who are flying under the radar. A lot of attention has been thrown towards the likes of Gumpy and Squashua over the past few days, which I think has made it easy for a few people to just skate by.

Locus on