As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking Bad

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    Hey, Nap, did you see my In Bruges post in the Oscar thread?
    Uhmmmmmmm...if I didn't respond to it, probably not.

What's the post number?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=4553285&postcount=623
    Yessssssssssssssss.

I knew you'd love In Bruges, and I'm not even remotely surprised that you caught that.

Also, I just discovered your post about the Coen brothers' involvement with The Yiddish Policemen's Detective Union. I had like 12 orgasms when I saw that post.

naporeon on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love this show so much.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    KarnackKarnack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is one of the few shows I've gotten in on from the ground floor and it's been pretty awesome consistently.

I really liked the flashback to his college days in I guess the...third episode? where they were discussing what technically makes up the human body and then the flash to the present.

The main character is just so lovable.

pretty big spoilers
    when he was getting stabbed I made a D: face the whole time, also...he was killing the guy. you know that's gonna hit him really hard.

I missed the first twenty minutes of the fourth episode 'cause my roommate is terrible at keeping his word about fixing things he broke, could someone tell me what happened before the young meth guy showed up at his parent's house?

Karnack on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pooro got me into this based on his love of it and now I love this show too.

This show is pretty damn good. All 4 episodes so far are pretty solid. The 4th proves that this show is getting better and better. I love Cranston in this, he's really putting his A game out for this one but all the characters are really well done. Can't wait for episode 5.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Aw fuck and I was all excited it was new

I have to watch the tv's at my neighbors so I rarely see anything

All knocking on their windows.
    "Hey. Let me in. I wanna watch TV"

:S

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    this show is the king of shows

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i've only watched about ten minutes into the first episode so far.

i hate chad so much.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just watched episode 4. That kid woulda got smacked.

Ahaha, car go boom.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ok i finally watched the pilot

yeah this is a pretty incredible show

damn

satansfingers on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The most recent episode - holy fucking shit.

I've been spending like twenty minutes trying to detail everything I loved about it. But rather than an itemized list of every small touch that was perfect, I will instead say this: The writing and the direction were some of the most impeccable I've seen on television since the pilot of Studio 60.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i forgot that you were the other person who watched studio 60

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I enjoyed the whole series, but I realize that it wasn't for everybody. It had its fair share of weak elements, and there's no denying that.

But even beyond my personal enjoyment of the show, that pilot was just unimpeachably spectacular.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just watched episode 5. Totally awesome.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Just watched episode 5. Totally awesome.

I know, right?

The show deals so expertly in subtext that it kind of blows my mind.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What are the ratings for this show like? If it gets canned, I will fucking kill something.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What are the ratings for this show like? If it gets canned, I will fucking kill something.

Well, it is only the second foray into original programming my AMC. So, they aren't expecting the ratings to be very good at all.

Which is actually a bonus. Because it means they're more likely to give the show a couple of seasons, let word of mouth and critical acclaim build, and make some decent money on DVD sales.

Between this and Mad Men, they're looking to establish themselves as major players in intelligent programming. And by moving in that direction, they know they're sacrificing large initial numbers for a greater long-term return.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I still haven't seen more than two episodes of Mad Men, but I was planning on just picking up the DVDs after everyone was ranting about how great it was.

I hope they're not relying on ratings when they're just now starting to air decent original programming.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thank god this isn't on Fox. Those pricks make a habit of cancelling good shows.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am concerned that, with the death of the traditional US "TV seasons", top-shelf cable programming might stand to suffer. It would be a shame to lose series like Mad Men and Breaking Bad because a new paradigm in American network programming pulled audiences away.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thank god this isn't on Fox. Those pricks make a habit of cancelling good shows.

Well, here's the thing about Fox.

They do put out an awful lot of shit, yes. But they do take risks that other networks wouldn't dream of. Married with Children, for its time, was an incredibly risky move. As was The Simpsons - a prime-time animation show was just unheard of.

And even more recently. They'll give shows a shot that are very, very risky. And while they may cancel them fairly quickly too, that's more of a chance than any other network would give them.

But look at Futurama and Arrested Development. Two very brilliant shows with really strong cult followings, canceled before their time. With both of them, their ratings were always terrible. And yeah, they got shuffled a lot, but how else are you gonna try to catch an audience? Neither made money until looonnnng after they were canned. And yet, Fox kept both of them on for multiple seasons. Again - that's more than most networks would do.

So they get an unfairly bad rap, in my book. Yeah, they canceled good shows. But they at least gave those shows a chance.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i don't think they ever really figured out arrested development. the ads made it look like shit.

i'm giving nbc big ups for trying to figure out a way to keep friday night lights going, though.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Arrested Development wouldv'e been doomed on any primetime network. It's a serialized sitcom. You have to watch it beginning to end for half of the jokes to make sense. No one (in large enough numbers) wants to do that, especially when it's in a weird timeslot that keeps getting changed around or put on hiatus every few weeks.

If AMC, or FX, or HBO, or Showtime would've picked it up, it would've ended when mitch hurwitz wanted it to. That wasn't the case, but it had a good run, and ended with a satisfying resolution before it jumped the shark (figuratively, they did literally). I'm satisfied with that.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

They do put out an awful lot of shit, yes. But they do take risks that other networks wouldn't dream of. Married with Children, for its time, was an incredibly risky move. As was The Simpsons - a prime-time animation show was just unheard of.

And even more recently. They'll give shows a shot that are very, very risky. And while they may cancel them fairly quickly too, that's more of a chance than any other network would give them.

But look at Futurama and Arrested Development. Two very brilliant shows with really strong cult followings, canceled before their time. With both of them, their ratings were always terrible. And yeah, they got shuffled a lot, but how else are you gonna try to catch an audience? Neither made money until looonnnng after they were canned. And yet, Fox kept both of them on for multiple seasons. Again - that's more than most networks would do.

So they get an unfairly bad rap, in my book. Yeah, they canceled good shows. But they at least gave those shows a chance.

I agree. I can't think of another broadcast network that would have given Firefly a shot, especially in 2002. That might be different now, now that viewers are starting to expect better production values out of network TV, after shows like Lost.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I enjoyed the whole series, but I realize that it wasn't for everybody. It had its fair share of weak elements, and there's no denying that.

But even beyond my personal enjoyment of the show, that pilot was just unimpeachably spectacular.

Pooro becomes even cooler in my book.
    I fucking loved Studio 60.

and Breaking Bad is amazing so far

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    KarnackKarnack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bryan Cranston is a much better actor than I've ever given him credit for.

Then again, I must admit I've only ever seen him in Malcolm in the Middle.

I loved the expression on his face
    when he's asking Jesse at the end of the episode "So...you want to cook?" He looked so defeated and resigned at the same time. He's doomed, but I can't help but root for him.

Karnack on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This show is delicious. I watched eps 1-3 yesturday night. I'm gonna go watch the next two now.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I get MadMen onDemand since I have TimeWarner. But dammit, we need to connect the tv to the box and it's heavy and rghrghrghr!

I need to find it on the intertubes.

In conclusion: Breaking Bad is fanfriggintastic and gah, I'm loving AMC for it and Mad Men.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i wish they showed more episodes on the AMC website

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Fox gets a bad rap more for their deplorable news division than the rest their programming, I think.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    wait you're unaware of the tendency for people to complain incessantly about fox canceling shows?

you must be new to the internet

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I agree with sarukun: The cancellation of shows is unfortunate, but a business call.
    Their "news division" is a crime against humanity, though.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh man

I thought I was the only dude who actually liked Studio 60

everyone I know hated it

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i thought it was great

though i didn't see the last few episodes because i was overseas

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Studio 60 was a brilliant show.
    Watching it over is even more sad, since I now recognize several characters I didn't before, since I have now seen The West Wing.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So because of this thread I had to check the show out, now fully caught up.

Holy crap it is awesome. After the first episode it really caught me off guard about how heavy it was getting, but it's just amazingly well done all in all

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Holy crap it is awesome. After the first episode it really caught me off guard about how heavy it was getting, but it's just amazingly well done all in all

I am glad you are into it now.

But really, how surprised can you be? That opening scene is so unrelentingly intense that you've gotta see the heavier shit coming.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I am glad you are into it now.

But really, how surprised can you be? That opening scene is so unrelentingly intense that you've gotta see the heavier shit coming.

I guess I mean more in the sense of heavy drama, the first episode made me expect dark comedy. Not to say there aren't plenty of bits of humor, but it's not the focus at all like i was kind of expecting.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can't wait to watch the new ep!

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am a Chemistry Major, and I love this show.

Looking at the chemical formula, Meth is really simple to synthesize - The guys in meth labs just reduce over-the-counter meds to form an impure product.

A better route would be to do a synthesis with Styrene, Methylnitrate, and Epoxyethane. It would take longer and you need to separate out the diasteriomers, but it's much less suspicious than them buying 10 pounds of Ephedrine.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    man what how can the next episode be the season finale?

bull shit

also walt was a fucking BADASS in the last episode

Kusuguttai on
This discussion has been closed.