As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linux Thread - beta version 5 build 6200 alpha release 2

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also they got Photoshop CS/CS2 working (CS2 I think still has 1 or 2 issues, but CS is fine afaik).

Apparently roughly 4 patches a day are submitted by people at Google.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gubuntu? Goounix?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Try commenting out
    RgbPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath        "unix/:7100"
        FontPath        "unix/:-1"

and restart the X server.

Does glxgears crash, too?

Was all of your xorg.conf created by nvidia-settings?

Fixed it by re-installing and rolling back to the 97xx driver series. Even glxinfo was crashing X.
    Also I love having /opt and /home on seperate partitions, re-installing is so much less painful. :)
    Although it's broken again now after installing compiz-fusion....(White Screen after login...*sigh*) But I think I know how to fix it.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I've got a problem maybe someone can help me out with. I have a Saitek Eclipse keyboard. On said keyboard there is a Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute Button. By default these keys control the main volume of Kmix. Now, the Volume Down key works just fine as does the mute key but when I press volume up it changes the volume straight to 40% and wont go any louder. That seems a very odd thing to me so instead of digging through page after page of google searches I figured I'd just go into Amarok and set these keys to control the volume of Amarok instead of Kmix and just adjust Kmix manually when need be.

So, I go into Kmix and clear all the shortcut key bindings. I then start Amarok, go to Settings->Global Shortcuts and try to assign the keys to Increase volume (XF86AudioRaiseVolume) and Decrease volume (XF86AudioLowerVolume). Save->Close->Restart Amarok->No Dice... keys are still controlling Kmix and Amarko doesn't respond to them at all.

Currently I'm trying to create a .xmodmap file to feed to xmodmap to reassign the key codes so that Kmix will not pick them up and maybe Amarok will. The key codes for my Volume Up and Volume Down buttons are 174 and 176, respectively. I can't seem to figure out what I need to change here for Amarok to work with these keys.

Here is the info I've got so far:

Amarok Default Bindings:
    Increase Volume: Win+KP_Add (Super_L(115) or Super_R(116) + KP_Add(86))
    Decrease Volume: Win+KP_Subtract (Super_L(115) or Super_R(116) + KP_Subtract(82))

Default Bindings for my KB Volume Up and Down Buttons:
    Volume Up Button: XF86AudioRaiseVolume (176)
    Volume Down Button: XF86AudioLowerVolume (174)

So any suggestions anyone has on what my xmodmap file should look like in order to get these volume keys on my keyboard to control the volume of Amarok and not Kmix would be much appreciated.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Have you tried unbinding those keys from Kmix? Your post doesn't indicate that you have, and it would probably be the easiest solution.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited February 2008
    Have you tried unbinding those keys from Kmix? Your post doesn't indicate that you have, and it would probably be the easiest solution.

Yes i have, and my post says that I did in the second paragraph-ish thingy.

edit: That's what is really confusing me though. Even if I go into Kmix and clear the global shortcut keys so they are bound to nothing, or something else it always picks up the XF86 key presses unless I delete keycodes in xmodmap. But that leaves me with no working XF86 volume keys at all ;(

sad boots is sad.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Bleh. That is what I get for posting when I have little sleep.

One possible solution (I'm not using KDE ATM, so I can't test):
    On Friday 25 February 2005 16:10, Chad Robinson wrote:
    > KDE keeps stealing this keystroke and passing it to Kmix. I can't have it
    > do that, because KMix is changing the wrong channel for my sound card. How
    > can I stop KDE from stealing this key so I can properly use KHotkeys (which
    > doesn't see it right now) to call aumix?

Control Center | KDE Components | Service Manager

Uncheck KMilo, then press stop and then apply. At this point, your keyboard
    will stop working, iirc, and you'll need to restart your KDE session.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited February 2008

Bleh. That is what I get for posting when I have little sleep.

One possible solution (I'm not using KDE ATM, so I can't test):
    On Friday 25 February 2005 16:10, Chad Robinson wrote:
    > KDE keeps stealing this keystroke and passing it to Kmix. I can't have it
    > do that, because KMix is changing the wrong channel for my sound card. How
    > can I stop KDE from stealing this key so I can properly use KHotkeys (which
    > doesn't see it right now) to call aumix?

Control Center | KDE Components | Service Manager

Uncheck KMilo, then press stop and then apply. At this point, your keyboard
    will stop working, iirc, and you'll need to restart your KDE session.

Ah, good stuff. I'll try this later today but this sounds like it would work.

LittleBoots on

• HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For those who are interested, Amazon has finally gotten around to releasing their MP3 downloader for Linux

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I need to run linux because I have exactly one old game that vista won't run for me. How big should I make the partition?

edit: the game is 216 megs

double edit: I will probably be using ubuntu

Kingthlayer on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... that seems like a lot of work just to run a game. A base Ubuntu install with the Gnome desktop is about 3 gigs, but if you're actually going to be using it for anything, I'd recommend 10 gigs, min.

If you *just* want to run the game (and have enough experience with Linux), you probably get away with a server install, then grab in X, fluxbox, and Wine. All that plus the game would probably fit within a gig of space.

Frem on
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It is a lot of work just to run a game, but it's one of my favorites from my childhood and I'm not letting anything keep me from playing it. I've been curious about linux for a while anyway, so this is both a means to an end and a reason to fool around with it. 10 Gigs isn't a lot of space at all, so I'll probably go ahead and give it 15 just to make sure everything has room to breathe. Thanks.

Who knows? I might like it so much that I'll run it exclusively on my laptop. (The desktop has been and will always be for gaming)

Kingthlayer on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    exis wrote: »
    I've been wanting to try Linux for a while now, and just found out that my C+ class assignments are going to require a unix environment, so rather than using VMware or something, I figure I'll take the plunge. I have two hard drives, one 20GB IDE and one 200GB SATA. I'm thinking maybe I'll just dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on the SATA and save the IDE for a backup. My big question is: is there a way to make certain files accessible across both OS's? I like to listen to music whenever I'm using my PC, but I'd rather not have a duplicate of ~20GB of mp3's on each partition.

Also, how much space should I be allowing for Ubuntu? I'll only really be using big applications (mostly games) on Windows, and I can't really imagine most of the basic utilities I'll use on Linux being very big.

If it were me, I would split the 20GB in half and install windows on one and linux on the other, and use the 200GB for media storage.

Followup question, not entirely linux related. My current Windows install is actually sitting on that 20GB IDE. I have a few programs on there (nothing particularly important), which I started installing there before I realised that I will quite quickly run out of space on there. So most of my programs are sitting on my 200GB SATA, along with all of my media.

Can you foresee any problems with partitioning this smaller drive into Ubuntu/Windows and not reformatting the big drive? If I can avoid having to shuffle all my media around so I can format, just to put it back in the same place, I'd like to.

Also, for the actual install, I'm planning on running the Windows install, partitioning the drive then, then coming back and doing the Ubuntu install later. 10GB Windows/8GB Ubuntu/2GB swap sound okay?

exis on
  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    so ubuntu doesn't like any of my wireless stuff.

bah
    trying 7.04 now

Didja try ndiswrapper? It took me like three days to sort that shit out because Dell uses some crappy broadcom 43xx wireless mini-card. Disregard if you've already went back to 7.04

Also yeah, getting certain things working in 64-bit Ubuntu reminded me of back in the days of DOS.

yesss

i was thinking "fuck man, this reminds me of trying to figure out which fucking irq thing my sound was on in order to play doom"

Zonkytonkman on
    edited March 2008
    So this dual boot is up and running, things seem to be going okay. Except... I managed to screw up the whole boot loader thing, so as far as I can tell my linux partition is out of reach. I boot straight into windows without ever seeing a "Choose your OS screen", which I was expecting after trying out Fedora awhile ago. I must have screwed something up in the setup. Is there some way I can fix this? I have access to everything on my linux partition (as far as I can tell) when booting from the Ubuntu CD, is it fixable from there? If not, reinstalling it isn't a huge problem, I'd just like to know what I missed >.>

exis on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What would people recommend as "essential" linux programs? I'm really liking Ubuntu, and it's fun to spend time on it as a change from XP. If only my wireless card worked with it, I'm stuck using a wireless bridge to access my network. Bah, madwifi and ndiswrapper don't seem to do me any good.

Also, I installed KDE to see how that was, got quickly overwhelmed, and switched back to Gnome for the time being until I get my linux legs more.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited March 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I've been wanting to try Linux for a while now, and just found out that my C+ class assignments are going to require a unix environment, so rather than using VMware or something, I figure I'll take the plunge. I have two hard drives, one 20GB IDE and one 200GB SATA. I'm thinking maybe I'll just dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on the SATA and save the IDE for a backup. My big question is: is there a way to make certain files accessible across both OS's? I like to listen to music whenever I'm using my PC, but I'd rather not have a duplicate of ~20GB of mp3's on each partition.

Also, how much space should I be allowing for Ubuntu? I'll only really be using big applications (mostly games) on Windows, and I can't really imagine most of the basic utilities I'll use on Linux being very big.

If it were me, I would split the 20GB in half and install windows on one and linux on the other, and use the 200GB for media storage.

Followup question, not entirely linux related. My current Windows install is actually sitting on that 20GB IDE. I have a few programs on there (nothing particularly important), which I started installing there before I realised that I will quite quickly run out of space on there. So most of my programs are sitting on my 200GB SATA, along with all of my media.

Can you foresee any problems with partitioning this smaller drive into Ubuntu/Windows and not reformatting the big drive? If I can avoid having to shuffle all my media around so I can format, just to put it back in the same place, I'd like to.

Also, for the actual install, I'm planning on running the Windows install, partitioning the drive then, then coming back and doing the Ubuntu install later. 10GB Windows/8GB Ubuntu/2GB swap sound okay?

Regarding this part, I wanted to say that you can mount anything anywhere... or basically what I'm saying is you could for instance mount a separate partition as your HOME direction, or your BIN directory, etc.

Mblackwell on

edited March 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    What would people recommend as "essential" linux programs? I'm really liking Ubuntu, and it's fun to spend time on it as a change from XP. If only my wireless card worked with it, I'm stuck using a wireless bridge to access my network. Bah, madwifi and ndiswrapper don't seem to do me any good.

Also, I installed KDE to see how that was, got quickly overwhelmed, and switched back to Gnome for the time being until I get my linux legs more.

I guess it would depend on what you want to do. A lot of the good programs (openoffice, gimp, etc) are installed by default. If you don't like Rhythmbox try Amarok. Definitely download Mplayer for movie playback. gFTP is a decent and simple FTP client. Deluge is a good torrent program. Get Wine, make sure to add the official Wine repository. For those few Windows programs you might want to run it may come in handy. If you have other needs, I have lots of recommendations for audio production software. :)

Make sure that in Synaptic Package Manager you look at your preferences and check all the of the repositories (universe, multiverse, etc), and make sure you go to the last tab and check all of the repository types except "proposed" (which is potentially buggy packages). This will let you get more updates for programs.

Mblackwell on

• SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »

Just yesterday I tried Exaile, a GTK+ based audio player, and it's a really solid alternative to AmaroK. Hell, I'm using it and I'm running KDE.

Have a gander: http://exaile.org/

Silvoculous on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So anyone here using Hardy Heron? Also what would I have to do to try it?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseSchedule

Download links are put on release schedule pages as betas, RCs, and the full release come.

MKR on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, haven't read the thread because it's 37 pages long so this has probably been answered somewhere, but how would I set up linux/XP dual bootery? I've done it with XP and Vista a bunch of times but that's pretty damned easy. I'm on Vista now, but I'm going back to XP because I miss my old visual styles and whatnot.
    What would be the best distribution for an almost complete Linux noob to install, and how would I rig up the dualbootery?

LaCabra on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Most popular ones will install GRUB which will automatically add your XP/Vista installs to GRUB (Which is a popular Linux bootloader).

You'll probably be best off with Ubuntu, OpenSUSE or Fedora.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited March 2008
    What're the differences between them?

For starters, let's assume I want to use that thing with the third dimensional cube and whatnot.

LaCabra on
    edited March 2008
    Off the top of my head I wouldn't really be able to say particularly much but I just came across this site which you can use to compare different distributions.

Is it just me, or are the 8.04 Alpha 5 official download links dead?

squirly on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alright, so I posted this in the Ubuntu thread over in G&T, but I thought you guys might be able to help me out too.

Basically, I am having awful awful problems getting my live CD (Ubuntu 7.10) to work properly. First, I was receiving a horrible black screen freeze, until I changed the boot line to include nosplash.

Now I think it's having problems with my internet card.

Basically, I have to connect to my school internet using an SSH shell to Authenticate. This means that I have to use a static IP to authenticate. When I live boot Ubuntu however, filling out the required fields seems to do nothing, and I can't connect to the internet. Googling for solutions, I stumbeled across something that said that ipv6 was a bug, and that I should change something in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases from alias net-pf-10 ipv6 to alias net-pf-10 off.

I did this, then rebooted Ubuntu (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace) and then, for the tiniest portion of time, I was able to connect to the internet. However, once I connected to my authentication server, it rejected me saying I was connecting from the wrong IP address. I then went back to my network options (Where the icons were all the same as they were before, a disconnected ethernet cord) and verified my network settings. Everything seemed correct, but just to be sure, I input all the same values into my second ethernet connection (I apparently have two, one does not like to work for me.) turned off the first one, and tried using the second. This resulted in my internet not working again.

Switching back to the first one has not resolved the problem.

I have no idea what to do, I really just want to muck around inside the Live CD for a bit to see how I like it, I don't want to do anything permanent.

Any help?

Sceptre on
    edited March 2008

I'm using Hardy. Mainly because it was the only Kubuntu version that would install for me besides dapper drake but I wanted something more current. So far it's been very stable, but then again I don't really do anything that really taxes it. Also, my wireless card worked from the get go without me having to do a thing. So for me, thats one big plus it has on the previous version I used (6.06? I think).

LittleBoots on

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »

For starters, let's assume I want to use that thing with the third dimensional cube and whatnot.

The "cube thing" is Compiz, and it comes pre-installed on several distributions now, including Ubuntu (although it's not set on "cube mode" by default, it's relatively easy to change).

To set up dual-booting with Windows:

If you are starting from a blank hard disk:
    1) Boot to the Windows install CD and install Windows. During setup, make the Windows partition only take up part of the hard disk. Leave at least ten gigabytes free (unpartitioned space) for Linux. Use more space if you think you need it.
    2) Boot to the Ubuntu install CD and install Ubuntu. During the setup, make sure it's set to "use unpartitioned space". It will use whatever space you left unpartitioned and put Ubuntu there.
    3) There is no step 3. You should have a menu whenever you boot your computer asking you which operating system you'd like to boot to. You're done.

If you are starting from a typical Windows install:
    1) Back up any and all important data. Nothing should go wrong but you always want to back up everything before messing with partition table sizes. Make sure you've got the space free (at least ten gigs or so) for Ubuntu.
    2) Insert the Ubuntu setup disc and boot to it. The setup program will have an option to resize your Windows parition. Make sure you don't use the option to delete your Windows partition, obviously. Don't use ALL the free space in your Windows partition, as Windows needs SOME free space to function.
    3) The next time you boot to Windows, it will run that Scandisk check or whatever it's called in XP/Vista. Do not cancel this check. For god's sake do not cancel this check.
    4) You should be all set up now.

It's a hell of a lot easier than it was three or four years ago, believe me.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2008
    I actually just reformatted my system drives and kept two blank partitions, so I won't need to resize. I take it it'll be pretty simple to just point the Ubuntu installer to a blank partition?

Oh, and how much space does it need?

LaCabra on
    edited March 2008
    Yup, but it might be easier to install Windows first as if you install Windows second it may wipe the Linux bootloader which could cause you grief either trying to get it back, or adding Linux to the Windows booatloader thing..

I think the minimum recommended for Ubuntu is 4GB, so anything >= 4GB and you'll be fine. I myself just resized this partition to have 8GB free to install Ubuntu and one thing you can do is, keep all your media (For me, mostly me 25GB of music) on your Win partition and access it through Ubuntu so you don't need 2 copies of all your media and/or other files.

I have a question for you fellows, I'm on my last PC while my new one is being repaired and I have Win XP SP3 on a 80GB HDD and I just made a 8GB or so partition to install Ubuntu, but I don't really want GRUB to take over, so is there a way to install Ubuntu without installing GRUB?

Or what's the easiest way to wipe Ubuntu+GRUB and restore the MBR/Win bootloader? Can I just easily use my Win XP CD?

squirly on
    edited March 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Yup, but it might be easier to install Windows first as if you install Windows second it may wipe the Linux bootloader which could cause you grief either trying to get it back, or adding Linux to the Windows booatloader thing..

I think the minimum recommended for Ubuntu is 4GB, so anything >= 4GB and you'll be fine. I myself just resized this partition to have 8GB free to install Ubuntu and one thing you can do is, keep all your media (For me, mostly me 25GB of music) on your Win partition and access it through Ubuntu so you don't need 2 copies of all your media and/or other files.

I have a question for you fellows, I'm on my last PC while my new one is being repaired and I have Win XP SP3 on a 80GB HDD and I just made a 8GB or so partition to install Ubuntu, but I don't really want GRUB to take over, so is there a way to install Ubuntu without installing GRUB?

Or what's the easiest way to wipe Ubuntu+GRUB and restore the MBR/Win bootloader? Can I just easily use my Win XP CD?

Boot from the XP CD, press R at the setup screen, and type 'fixmbr' in the recovery console.

MKR on
  • badfishbadfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm partial to Fedora, I used ubuntu for a while but I've gotten use to using the terminal for a lot of stuff. Plus i didn't get interested in Linux because it is easy to use, I got in to it because it is so immensely useful. The terminal is such an important part of Linux. I do have gnome installed but I only use it for the graphical browser for when I have to look up shit I don't know how to do, :P.

I got frustrated with the partitioned PC and just loaded it on to a separate box, an old emachine that was laying around. Now it's my FTP server/porn hider :shock:

badfish on
    "What you had there is what we refer to as a focused non-terminal repeating phantasm or a Class 5 full-roaming vapor."
    edited March 2008
    badfish wrote: »

I'm partial to Fedora, I used ubuntu for a while but I've gotten use to using the terminal for a lot of stuff. Plus i didn't get interested in Linux because it is easy to use, I got in to it because it is so immensely useful. The terminal is such an important part of Linux. I do have gnome installed but I only use it for the graphical browser for when I have to look up shit I don't know how to do, :P.

I got frustrated with the partitioned PC and just loaded it on to a separate box, an old emachine that was laying around. Now it's my FTP server/porn hider :shock:

There's a terminal in Ubuntu, too. The only major difference between Ubuntu and Fedora is that Ubuntu uses deb/apt for its package manager and Fedora uses rpm/yum.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2008
    I've found a nice balance between Linux and XP. I use XP for the few things I do that require it, but I have cygwin installed with its binary directory in my path environment variable. Now I just need to find a good console replacement. Has anyone ported konsole or gnome-terminal to XP?

MKR on
  • badfishbadfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    badfish wrote: »

There's a terminal in Ubuntu, too. The only major difference between Ubuntu and Fedora is that Ubuntu uses deb/apt for its package manager and Fedora uses rpm/yum.

haha I didn't know that, thats probably why I was getting pissed with it and decided to go back to Fedora. :P Maybe I'll try it again some time.

badfish on
    "What you had there is what we refer to as a focused non-terminal repeating phantasm or a Class 5 full-roaming vapor."
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Off the top of my head I wouldn't really be able to say particularly much but I just came across this site which you can use to compare different distributions.

Looks like Alpha 6 has just come out (the kubuntu page links to the alpha 6 stuff now) so I bet they just haven't updated their links yet.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited March 2008
    Okay, this Ubuntu/XP install seems to be up and running. And I have to say, I'm really surprised by how awesome Ubuntu is out of the box. I tried Fedora Core years ago and it felt clunky and awkward. Getting and installing drivers was a pain considering I know next to nothing about using the terminal. Ubuntu is a dream. Everything that wasn't up to date straight out of the box was done for me. Compared to Windows which was a huge pain in the ass to go searching for drivers for everything. I thought it was funny that XP couldn't see any of my network hardware until I booted up the Ubuntu live CD - which detected everything just fine - and downloaded drivers for XP to use.

Anyway, I have a couple of really dumb questions.
    1) Virus protection, firewall? Do I really not need any, or is Ubuntu running something that I can't see?
    2) Where, according to the terminal, is my other hard drive? I can only find it via the file browser >.<
    3) Does linux have an equivalent of "Program Files"? Where is it? I'd prefer to keep my apps on my other HDD. Is there a way to change the default for programs to a different HD?
    I'm sure I'll be back with a host of newbie questions soon enough.

exis on
    edited March 2008
    Okay, this Ubuntu/XP install seems to be up and running. And I have to say, I'm really surprised by how awesome Ubuntu is out of the box. I tried Fedora Core years ago and it felt clunky and awkward. Getting and installing drivers was a pain considering I know next to nothing about using the terminal. Ubuntu is a dream. Everything that wasn't up to date straight out of the box was done for me. Compared to Windows which was a huge pain in the ass to go searching for drivers for everything. I thought it was funny that XP couldn't see any of my network hardware until I booted up the Ubuntu live CD - which detected everything just fine - and downloaded drivers for XP to use.

Anyway, I have a couple of really dumb questions.
    1) Virus protection, firewall? Do I really not need any, or is Ubuntu running something that I can't see?
    2) Where, according to the terminal, is my other hard drive? I can only find it via the file browser >.<
    3) Does linux have an equivalent of "Program Files"? Where is it? Can I make another directory on my other hard drive that I can install/run apps to/from? How?

I'm sure I'll be back with a host of newbie questions soon enough.

Linux comes with a firewall-esque thing, but Firestarter is a decent frontend to the firewall. You probably won't need it, but it does make it easy to watch the firewall log.

edit: for #2, df -h

for #3, Linux puts most things in /usr/bin. I'm not sure why you would do that, but you can move it to the other drive and set that partition as the mount point. It's the sort of thing that's easier to do during installation. :)

MKR on
    edited March 2008
    MKR wrote: »

Boot from the XP CD, press R at the setup screen, and type 'fixmbr' in the recovery console.
    Ah, I remember it being simple like that, thanks.
    Weretaco wrote: »

Looks like Alpha 6 has just come out (the kubuntu page links to the alpha 6 stuff now) so I bet they just haven't updated their links yet.
    Hah, yeah, I noticed that and was quite pleased with my timing. I'm downloading both 32/64 bit ISOs of Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

exis, have fun learning the filesystem. :o

squirly on
    edited March 2008
    3) Does linux have an equivalent of "Program Files"? Where is it? I'd prefer to keep my apps on my other HDD. Is there a way to change the default for programs to a different HD?

The way you install programs in Linux is quite different to the Windows way. Programs are distributed as "packages", which, for Ubuntu (and any other Debian-derived distribution) are files that end in .deb. You install packages through the package management system (in Ubuntu, this system is called "apt") through some program. There are graphical programs (Synaptic, for instance, comes preinstalled with Ubuntu) and command-line programs (apt-get and aptitude).

When you want to install a program, open up Synaptic (it's in the Administration menu) and just check off the package(s) you want to install, and then hit the Apply button. Synaptic will download and install everything you checked (as well as any packages that your new packages depend on to work) right from the Ubuntu software repository. The best part is that if there's ever an update to one of these packages, it will alert you and you can use the same update tool that works for system updates (which, themselves, are just other packages). It's really a great system.

The downside, though, is that it's essentially impossible to have some packages install to one hard drive and some install to another, and the way the filesystem is set up, it's really hard to change what hard drive they all go onto after you've already installed the operating system. My suggestion is to do what I do: have all your system files and programs and etc. on your main Linux partition and use your other hard drive for the hundreds of gigs of music, movies, porn, or whatever you've got stashed.

Daedalus on