As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slam Dumb Comics: Robo Yao and the Phoenix Suns

VladieSharkVladieShark Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
www.Slamdumb.com has a rare treat: two comics in one week... GASP!

Now, these two comics actually require knowing what's going on in the NBA to "get", but if you do in fact understand them, feel free to compliment me on how amazingly creative the Phoenix Suns one is. I'm damn proud of it.

2_29_08.jpg

3_1_08.jpg

Comment away, folks.

VladieShark on

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Niche comics, sweet. Have fun with that.

Can you make a comic about sandwiches please?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maybe you should make a thread that you put all your comics into, and update whenever you have a new one? Kind of like how everyone else does.

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    multimoog wrote: »
    Maybe you should make a thread that you put all your comics into, and update whenever you have a new one? Kind of like how everyone else does.

I'll set up a general one then, whenever I post the next one...

VladieShark on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you mean to say you'll toss them into this topic? Like you should?

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Nope. That is, unless there is a way to change the title of the thread. You're gonna have to deal with me making more than one... good luck, buddy. Hopefully, the server won't explode. :-P

VladieShark on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Go to the main AC page, click the title. Bada bing.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Go to the main AC page, click the title.

Didn't know you could do that... thanks.

VladieShark on
  • Options
    biiirdmaaan!biiirdmaaan! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Did they put Yao Ming into an exoskeleton? Replace him with a robot? Put his brain inside a robot? And why don't the announcers seem to notice? Do Chinese people look like robots? I don't really follow.

You still have the same problems as you had with the last one, though.

biiirdmaaan! on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Same as last time, the art blends too many different styles and is too hard to focus on. The comics were pretty funny, but you need to stop using Nash in all of your strips. He's been in a good majority of them.

Honestly man, you're not a bad writer, and your artist isn't horrible either, he just needs to get a better line weight and drop the photoshop effects.

Having said that, inside humor about a sport that isn't followed by nearly enough people to be mainstream isn't going anywhere. Do a comic called slam dumb, and make it about a fictional team, have characters, and character development, and stories, and arcs, instead of just one liners based from the ESPN website.

also this:

Nope. That is, unless there is a way to change the title of the thread. You're gonna have to deal with me making more than one... good luck, buddy. Hopefully, the server won't explode. :-P

this is a dick response. If you're not going to take the time to learn how forum buttons work and do things the way the community has set up, then don't make smartass remarks when the community calls you out on it. Yes, the server probably won't explode, but it's kind of hard to get art crits on your comic when you're banned.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited March 2008

You've already been told how to do this by forbe but you can also edit your original post and access the title of this thread from there. In other words, there's no reason for you to even attempt to be a dick because you only come across as an ignorant twat. Keep that in mind the next time you try to pretend that you're brilliant.

Grifter on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

this is a dick response. If you're not going to take the time to learn how forum buttons work and do things the way the community has set up, then don't make smartass remarks when the community calls you out on it. Yes, the server probably won't explode, but it's kind of hard to get art crits on your comic when you're banned.

It really was, but this bridge was already crossed. Re: the comic you pretty much summed up my thoughts on it. Too niche can be a dangerous thing. Art isn't horrible (though definitely needs work, especially on action and motion which would be quite critical to this) and the writing isn't bad, but how many injuries and trades can you joke about before it gets stale?

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to reference the only other successful sports comic (that I'm aware of): Tank McNamara. It wasn't GREAT, but it had an ongoing cast and interspersed the one-off sports commentary jokes with character stuff. Try that out. You're just the writer, you should be able to write things other than overly obscure jokes on basketball.

multimoog on
  • Options
    ScirosSciros Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Did they put Yao Ming into an exoskeleton? Replace him with a robot? Put his brain inside a robot? And why don't the announcers seem to notice? Do Chinese people look like robots? I don't really follow.
    hmmm.. No; yes; no; for the joke in panel 3 to work; no

Regarding making the comic about an original property rather than just focus on NBA news... that's a rather different approach... though it also makes it more like a PA sort of endeavor. But who knows what direction the comic will go in the future.

I think the NBA audience is large enough that we just need to attract it. Depending on what city you live in, you either get a feel for it or you don't. In central Ohio it's all college sports, so the NBA is barely on the radar. But visit San Antonio during the playoffs, and you'll see black Spurs jerseys on every other person.

And there's more than just trades and injury to comment on ^_^ Did you know that this weekend they're actually doing a "redo" of the last 50-some seconds of a game because the officials screwed up last time?

Sciros on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    this kid has a really dirty habit of doing really dumb things and then talking down to people who try to correct him.

i've started actually paying attention to basketball since i'm working on a basketball game and all
    and they're still not funny
    so rest assured, it's not a lack of basketball knowledge that's making these dumb.

beavotron on