As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Batmen and Jokers.

SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Graphic Violence
Comparing the several people, actors and voice actors alike, that have portrayed the Dark Knight and the most notorious member of his rogue gallery, the Joker, has become a rather popular subject on the boards lately. Some of us may have grown up with Adam West and Cesar Romero, Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammil, or some of us may be new to the mythology with Christian Bale and Heath Ledger.

tl;dr Discuss which Batman/Joker you favor, why you do, and so on.

28je138.png
Saiga on

• Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We have both a Bat-Thread and a Movie Thread for just such a discussion.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Batman the Animated Series has, in many ways, the definitive Batman and Joker, as the animated versions have been portrayed by the same people for more than a decade.

DarkPrimus on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    We have both a Bat-Thread and a Movie Thread for just such a discussion.

Because we are just so pressed for space here on the front page!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well in film I certainly prefer Christian Bale and, from what I've seen, Heath Ledger. To be honest I REALLY dislike the first four Batman movies. The Tim Burton movies just come off as endlessly hokey to me and just not very good. Batman tears off his mask like its made of cheap plastic in Returns for God's sake and him just cold as ice killing people and punching Catwoman off a roof. Plus Burton openly states that he views comic books as a 'lesser genre' and that they need to be reinterpreted to make any sense. I sort of felt insulted by that. All in all I prefer the modern film version and the comic book version. The animated series didn't have much of an impact on me as a child because I didn't like Batman as a kid because I didn't like how he always had a way out of everything. I really didn't get into Batman and DC in general until I was like 19.

ZombieAsuma on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always dug Keaton, but he would've been best used as a Bruce Wayne on the edge, spending too much time as Batman and pushing himself too far. He could've played the crazy for that type of role really well.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought he was crazy. Just kind of understated compared to all the other crazies around him.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah he slept upside down for christ's sake

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • SuperJaySS4SuperJaySS4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As Batman...he was terrible...but did anyone find the George Clooney was the better Bruce Wayne out of the first four movies?

Personally for me...THE Batman was the one from the Animated Series. That was what started it all for me and my Bat obsession.

Can anyone recall from which episode/movie Batman was danglin off the side of a floating object screaming "I am the vengence, I am the night, I am Batman!!!"? I've been looking for that for a while, watching through old clips, but I can never find it.

SuperJaySS4 on
    I can only be who I am, but how I can be what I do not know?
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can anyone recall from which episode/movie Batman was danglin off the side of a floating object screaming "I am the vengence, I am the night, I am Batman!!!"? I've been looking for that for a while, watching through old clips, but I can never find it.

i think that was from the intro to MAYBE batman the animated series?

upon further investigation, this site , says its a quote from the episode nothing to fear.

edit: "it" being the quote, and therefore i assume, the scene.

PantheraOnca on
  • SuperJaySS4SuperJaySS4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good tip, I am going to check that out when I get home.

SuperJaySS4 on
    I can only be who I am, but how I can be what I do not know?