As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

• TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty stocked, I got my Grav/Ice dom to 35 last night. Singularity isn't quite as awesome as I was hoping, but Greater Ice Sword gives me hope for when it will be fully slotted.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Its possible in a "CoH 2" kind of way. Back Alley Brawler outright said this weekend that power customization would require a sequel level of work to do.

See Champions Online. :D

Its sort of a shame that Cryptic gets to benefit from making a new engine while NCNorCal is saddled with the old engine Cryptic made, which is the cause of all the problems.

That said, I expect we'll see a sequel to CoH sometime in the next few years. As for Champions, we'll see if its customization makes it into beta, let alone live. I don't particularly have much faith in Cryptic's abilities to deliver features. Hell, they never even got a feature of CoV they advertised as a selling point on the box working right.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Base raids?
    They pretty much stopped putting any effort into it after realizing the PvP community consisted of Ghost and a few other guys.
    Still sucks because if Base Raids were ready at CoV's launch they would have really helped fuel PvP.

Didn't 98% of Cryptic's CoX crew become NCNC? If so it sucks but, really, your own damn fault for not building a more open engine. I give them slack simply because it was the first game they ever created but not anticipating people would want to change even just the tint of their powers was a HUGE oversight.

Accualt on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    To be fair, no other online game (and hardly any game, period*) allows for customization of skill graphics like that. It's just never been done. You can't blame Cryptic for not doing it, and even in hindsight it's not obvious that it's needed. Yeah, it would have been better if they'd at least not hard-coded the animations the way they did, but that's water under the bridge. They still introduced a revolutionary character customization system, and now that's somehow not enough. Urgh.

The whole ongoing kerfluffle over power customization has always been annoying to me because of that. I mean, I get it, I know why people want it. And it would be nice to have. But everyone who asks for it should understand just how unusual a feature it was and still is.

And here's my big problem with it: There is SO MUCH ELSE that would improve the game SO MUCH MORE than power customization. The devs need to work to make the game play better first, not make the powers prettier. All the player clamor over customization is detrimental if it takes dev resources away from those other things, IMHO.

* The Freedom Force games are the only exceptions that come to mind.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think people ask for it because they're like me: not software developers. And they just assume, not entirely unreasonably, that's it's just a matter of throwing some new textures on old powers. And not even that many powers; there's only a few sets that people ever really want to change.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited March 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I think people ask for it because they're like me: not software developers. And they just assume, not entirely unreasonably, that's it's just a matter of throwing some new textures on old powers. And not even that many powers; there's only a few sets that people ever really want to change.

Well, ok. As it turns out, I have been a software developer (never my main job though). Not a games developer, but I can appreciate the difficulty and how certain portions of a program can just be terribly difficult to modify. Especially years after they were written.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited March 2008
    I don't blame them for not doing it now but I certainly fault them for not thinking of it to begin with.
    Shoot, I joined the CoH boards within the first three months they opened...which was three years before the game was even released and I recall plenty of posters talking about wanting to be able to pick the color of their powers. To me it would be like giving a kid a glove and ball but no bat for his birthday. Sure he can play catch but he won't be getting the full experience of the game.

Accualt on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    And not even that many powers; there's only a few sets that people ever really want to change.

I wouldn't even have brought it up if they hadn't decided to sprinkle snow flakes in the wind power. :P

Echo on
  • NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what are people using as the character builder of choice these days? A search of the official forums has gotten me fucking bupkis.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2008
    So I rolled a gravity/energy dominator, and it looks like a friend will try a corruptor. Might get a second friend along that likes melee.

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    That would be a mean little trio.

Personally I'd have to say, at least at the moment, Dominator's are the class I've had the most fun playing. They take a bit of getting use to, and personally I found my Fire/Energy to be a bit underpowered early on, but lord are they fun. Every battle is like being on the edge of a razor. Plus the full END recovery from activating Domination makes the lack of stamina early on much easier to deal with.

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, until I get more powers all I do is tab through enemies and lock them down with gravity. :P

Echo on
  • RagRag Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really should give Plant/Psi another chance sometime, but I hated the way that character turned out for me.

Maybe once I'm done punishing myself with ninjas.

Rag on
    edited March 2008
    So, level 5. Crush with two slots, Gravity Distortion with three slots, Power Bolt with one, Power Push with two. Fun fun. I lock shit down while my Dark/Dark Corruptor buddy nukes shit.

edit: and my outfit.
    c4-2.jpg

Echo on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I quite like that costume.

Gear Girl on
    edited March 2008
    I've already gotten some random whispers from people that liked it. :P

Some other versions I considered:
    c3.jpgc2.jpgc1.jpg

I considered taking some Enforcer armor pieces, but I decided to leave it off and maybe add it later when I have more costume slots.

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    I like it without the enforcer stuff and with the current color scheme. It seems to fit the idea of a grav/energy robot well. You could of course do a "supar armar!" version with a later slot.

Gear Girl on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dominators are really fun to play. They seem to mix solo power and group utility better than most villain classes.

I kinda want to make another one (ice/thorns just hit 40), but I'm having trouble deciding what to go with. I have a level 13 mind/psi right now who's honestly kinda meh; I'm thinking about trying out either mind/fire or fire/eng next.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I'm looking to join the Penny Arcade SG, but I don't have any alts on Virtue. What type of characters do you guys need the most? I'm up for playing anything. Also, do I need to make a specific costume or color scheme when I first make my costume or does that happen when I get the SG invite? I've never been in an SG before so I'm a little bit of a noob in the area....

SmokeScreen on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dude chill. We are not like that at all. Make what ever you want. Join the channel and look for teams. It's as simple as that. Just remember that Duck is full of rage and cocks are where it's at.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited March 2008
    Yeah we seem to basically just have an SG so we can have portals and storage and a workbench, and so that a couple dudes can have fun making some of the rooms ridiculously elaborate. And, so we can be deadbeats WRT our rent.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited March 2008
    On that note, I have a villain that demands access to your jacuzzi and dental plan!

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    On that note, I have a villain that demands access to your jacuzzi and dental plan!

We traded the dental plan for a free keg of beer at our meetings.

Corvus on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I've already gotten some random whispers from people that liked it. :P

Some other versions I considered:
    c3.jpgc2.jpgc1.jpg

I considered taking some Enforcer armor pieces, but I decided to leave it off and maybe add it later when I have more costume slots.

I think you should go with something on the shoulders but not enforcer armor. Maybe one of the small rounded pads

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited March 2008
    I guess enforcer armor is way overused. :P I considered one of the Tech shoulders. Tech 1, I think it was.

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    Enforcer is new, which is why its used alot. Unless its something sort of narrow, like the Jester outfit, when something new is added, lots of people use it for a while.

Corvus on
    edited March 2008
    Enforcer and stealth are overused because they're both new, and also some of the better modeling available. It doesn't help that there isn't much room for variety in using them, aside from changing their colors.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I personally like the Stealth boots in conjunction with Enforcer baggy pants, with some other form of top. It's what I use for my SS/WP Brute.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's kind of scary, Echo. I have a level 26 Gravity/Energy Dominator with that face. I'm not sure if I really love Dominators, but I do appreciate the ability to both solo and group effectively. On that note, are Stamina and Hasten still pretty helpful, if not essential, to most builds?

Oh, and someone explain this "invention" stuff to me. I haven't been around since I8 and it is scary and confusing.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited March 2008
    Hasten is helpful, but it's not essential. It can be perma'd again, but it takes a lot of work and money.

Stamina is still all but required for anything that's not Regen or Willpower. Or a Traps Mastermind.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2008
    That's kind of scary, Echo. I have a level 26 Gravity/Energy Dominator with that face. I'm not sure if I really love Dominators, but I do appreciate the ability to both solo and group effectively. On that note, are Stamina and Hasten still pretty helpful, if not essential, to most builds?

Oh, and someone explain this "invention" stuff to me. I haven't been around since I8 and it is scary and confusing.

Stamina is almost necessary for the vast majority of builds. Hasten you can take it or leave it but it is helpful for certain builds.

Also go do the invention tutorial in steel or cap at the university and then if you have further questions ask.

Gear Girl on
    edited March 2008
    I saw this guy tonight when I made a new character for no real reason at all on Victory. DB/WP Brute. If Axe/Mace ever comes over to Brutes I am probably going to rip this off. Name was mecha-troll or troll-mech or something along those lines.

mechatrolljb2.jpg

DB, pfff, way too wussie of animations for a proper troll.

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    That's not a bad use of Enforcer, but man. I hate those boots. They don't go with anything.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited March 2008
    MECHA-TROLL SHALL NOT BE BOTTOMED!

I think the boots go really well there, normally I'm not a big fan of them. I love how the Jester mask was used to add troll style to it. :^: I seriosuly want to remake him as MechaBoosOrk, or something. A 40k WAAAAGH boss stuck in Paragon City/Rogue Isles. I guess I could go SS Brute but I'd rather wait for a more Orky choppa. I have one high level Tank so I'm not keen on making another, especially isnce I'll most likely make a shield tank.
    Accualt wrote: »
    I saw this guy tonight when I made a new character for no real reason at all on Victory. DB/WP Brute. If Axe/Mace ever comes over to Brutes I am probably going to rip this off. Name was mecha-troll or troll-mech or something along those lines.

mechatrolljb2.jpg

DB, pfff, way too wussie of animations for a proper troll.

I made this costume when Enforcer first came out. I like it but I wish the boots were scaled down just a liiiittle bit.

eludeuj5.jpg

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    Enforcer and Stealth and Exoproto are also awesome as well as new. :P

Might consider the Justice or Sinister pads if you have GvE.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for le answers. One more question though, what's the consensus on Dual Blades and/or Willpower? DB looks really awesome, and the animations seem fast (I might be totally wrong here), but does the high-level lethal resistance handicap it? I've never played a melee class seriously, so I dunno what think of Willpower.

Where is the invention tutorial in Cap?

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for le answers. One more question though, what's the consensus on Dual Blades and/or Willpower? DB looks really awesome, and the animations seem fast (I might be totally wrong here), but does the high-level lethal resistance handicap it? I've never played a melee class seriously, so I dunno what think of Willpower.

At the university, one of the dudes there will be your first contact for it.

Gear Girl on
    edited March 2008
    My Stone/Willpower brute is up to 30 now, and WillPower, frankly, is awesome. I think its got the Regen "if the alpha strike doesn't kill you, nothing will" sort of thing going on.

Also, those Enforcer boots are really silly if you put them on an MA Scrapper:

kickfi7.jpg

However, if you're going for a power-armor look, I think they're fine:

NemesisBattleSuit.jpg

Corvus on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maybe my opinion is weird, but I like the look of the Enforcer boots on my characters. I use them on both of my main Hero-side toons. I don't use the whole Enforcer set though.

I like Dual Blades a lot because of the combo system. It adds a bit of extra variety to combat. The defense debuffs seem nice as well. I've been playing a DB/WP Scrapper.
    So I'm looking to join the Penny Arcade SG, but I don't have any alts on Virtue. What type of characters do you guys need the most? I'm up for playing anything. Also, do I need to make a specific costume or color scheme when I first make my costume or does that happen when I get the SG invite? I've never been in an SG before so I'm a little bit of a noob in the area....
    When you're in an SG you can pick a second color-set for your "SG mode". You can choose each part of your costume to be it's default color or one of the SG colors while you're in SG mode. I usually just keep my default colors. The only reason to be in SG mode is to earn moneys for the SG base (though I don't think anybody uses SG mode after lvl25, as it takes away from your Inf).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
This discussion has been closed.