As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Sports eh?

wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
EA Sports has recently stated that they will be adapting even more sports into game licences, and with the recent attempt from EA to buy out Take2 and its 2K sports line, Is there a chance or the demand to warrant a CFL licenced game? How many Canadians here would purchase a game like this? Are there any Americans that watch or care about CFL Football?

I figure the audience for a game like this is probably low, as there are many Canadians that actually prefer NFL, but couldn't the company that has brought you Madden and NCAA for countless years, and also an Arena Football game, couldn't they turn out a reskined, re-rostered Madden with a few rule and field differences with no problems?

What other sports have yet to get the EA treatment that you'd like to see? Randy Ferby: Championship Curling 2009? EA ultimate frisbee.

Could be a great idea for a new photoshop thread.

also go roughriders.

stripessig.jpg
WBblunt.gif
wakeboarderblunt on

• Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would definitely buy a CFL game if it came out

That would be great.

Lothars on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A Lacrosse game would be pretty badass.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem with hoping for a CFL game, I think, is the way the developers look at markets. NTSC U/C titles are made for the U.S. and Canada, to be sure, but for the most part (speaking as a Canadian) they're made for the U.S.

The reason for this isn't a comment on culture, but market size.

Estimated population of Canada: 33,390,141 (July 2007)

Estimated population of the U.S: 301,139,947 (July 2007)

I can't say I know how many Americans are all about the Canadian football, but something tells me when they want a football game they'll go out and buy Madden like every other North American. Even if such a game existed, it wouldn't surprise me if half the Canadian football fans stuck with Madden. It would certainly find its niche with hard core football enthusiasts up here and ex-pats down in the States or oversees, but I can't see this number being big enough to warrant the amount of cash that goes into game development and promotion these days.

Nobody hopes to make it big in Canada. Making it big in Canada is still, for the most part, not the rout to fortune and fame.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't particularly care either way aboot the NFL or CFL, eh. If they have some log rolling man or igloo building games, I'll be all over that, eh. But if I was all civilized-like, I'd probably enjoy sittin on my chesterfield and playin some NFL and CFL all in one darn game, eh. But it's EA, so I'd probably have to drop money down on three separate games for college, NFL and CFL, eh.

KVW on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just give us a hockey game on Wii already and I'll be happy.

I couldnt care less about football, be it american or canadian.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nobody cares about football.

Let's see some hardcore physics engine action in a curling game!
    The tension is incredible! They're going for a triple takeout! HURRY HARD! SWEEEP! SWEEEP, YOU DUMB FUCKERS!

*KACLACKBOOM*

And red beats yellow by three points, after yellow took out all of their own rocks.
    Everyone would have fun. You could even do multiplayer with various skip, sweeper, and first positions.

The skip would spend most of his time telling people what to do. Tycho would love it.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would buy a CFL game in a second. Hell, I'd settle for some CFL DLC for Madden. Just give me the logos and player names and I'd pretend the rules are different. Of course, it'll never happen because the market is way too small to profit from this.

I've always wondered, forgetting the rule differences, how much work would it be to take Madden, build a team and change all the names and make it your favourite CFL team? Can you design logos?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ya, never gonna happen just for the fact that we have 1/10 the number of people.

they could take the madden engine, change the rules, then add the players/teams and they still wouldn't make money on the game.

As much as I loooove the CFL, a league with a 4.2million dollar salary cap to split among 50 players really shoudlnt' get a video game.(to all the americans, yes, $4.2million as in, $4,200,000)

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A curling game would be alot of fun on the Wii, as for release time, inturn/outturn, speed. I think it would add a whole new variation to something similar like Wii bowling.

The CFL option in Madden would be a great way to open the league to american audiences as well. I could see die hard Maddenites having fun with the 3 downs, no fair catch, wider field, and 20 yard deep endzones, as a challenge to the game that tests thier strategy and skills in a new way. Just remember that short passes aren't worth the risk.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A curling game would be alot of fun on the Wii, as for release time, inturn/outturn, speed. I think it would add a whole new variation to something similar like Wii bowling.

The CFL option in Madden would be a great way to open the league to american audiences as well. I could see die hard Maddenites having fun with the 3 downs, no fair catch, wider field, and 20 yard deep endzones, as a challenge to the game that tests thier strategy and skills in a new way. Just remember that short passes aren't worth the risk.

I betcha we will see curling in the upcoming (in 1.5 years) Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics. I really want that game, and curling in the vein of the M&S Beijing game would totally fly.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of Mario and Canadian sports. I want a damn Mario Hockey game! Come who wouldn't love seeing DK crushing Mario with a huge check along the boards. Or having Diddy in nets flipping around stopping pucks.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jeez, if there was a realisitc curling game for Wii, with 1:1 sweeping, i would buy that in a fucking second.

delphinus on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Rouge!

Aroduc on
  • Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is anyone else surprised that of the two most enthusiastic people, one's location is Regina and the other has a Roughriders avatar?

supertall on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would looooove a CFL game.
    But, the combined salary of all the CFL doesn't even meet one NFL teams salary. Also, with the Bills playing games in Toronto now I could see some expansion of the NFL into Canada.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    CFL option in Madden sounds like the best bet. It would take almost nothing to implement too.

As for Canadian sports to make into games:

- Lacrosse
    - Curling
    - Broomball (wtf eh?)

Also, Mario Hockey would be awesome.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    CFL option in Madden sounds like the best bet. It would take almost nothing to implement too.

As for Canadian sports to make into games:

- Lacrosse
    - Curling
    - Broomball (wtf eh?)

Curling would be cool.

Mario Hockey is genius.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just want whoever is making the most popular NHL game to send the money trucks to the CBC and get the Hockey Night In Canada people in on it. Coach's Corner FTW! :)

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure it's a Canadian sport, but how about some Crashed Ice with the Wii balance board?

Djiem on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I watch a lot more NFL than CFL, but I'd pick up a CFL game in a second. The wide open style of play would be a blast.

Also, BC SUCKS! (Just for you turkey)

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I live in the US, but I'd but be interested in Canadian sports games. Change is good, and it could be interesting to learn about teams in another country. Granted, I've bought one or two madden games ever, so I'm probably not terribly indicative of the market though.

Darlan on
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Screw the CFL, but if you offer me up a Curling game, I don't care how much it costs, or what stupid peripheral I have to buy with it. I'm in.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    I watch a lot more NFL than CFL, but I'd pick up a CFL game in a second. The wide open style of play would be a blast.

Also, BC SUCKS! (Just for you turkey)

Well, yes they do.

In case your referring to my avatar, it's Winnipeg:P

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I know Doug Flutie played in the CFL.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

I'm surprised they don't attempt to lump the CFL and the European Football League (is it called that? does it still exist?) in with Madden. Don't they kinda do this with FIFA or am I mistaken?

Then again seeing as how American football is mostly an....er....American interest, I suppose I can't imagine adding the other leagues as being cost effective.

As far as Canadian sports go, I'm all for it if the market is available.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    roywhitbyroywhitby Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Frigging A there should be a CFL mode for Madden. Why not? They have a version directed at Spanish speaking gamers. It can't be that hard to change the rules and the field. They used to have NFL Europe teams. Why not the CFL? I'm sure it wouldn't cost EA too much to get the license. And put in an Ottawa Renegades logo/uniform kit so I can resurrect my beloved Ottawa "Beavers". I miss them.

And wouldn't it be awesome to be playing and after a first down you would hear:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSS!

I don't like the Argos but the chant is awesome.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    roywhitby wrote: »
    Frigging A there should be a CFL mode for Madden. Why not? They have a version directed at Spanish speaking gamers. It can't be that hard to change the rules and the field. They used to have NFL Europe teams. Why not the CFL? I'm sure it wouldn't cost EA too much to get the license. And put in an Ottawa Renegades logo/uniform kit so I can resurrect my beloved Ottawa "Beavers". I miss them.

I'm sure they could get the license for like a bucket of chicken and case of beer to each team.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm sure they could get the license for like a bucket of chicken and case of beer to each PLAYER.

Come on man, we're not THAT cheap up here.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I'm sure they could get the license for like a bucket of chicken and case of beer to each PLAYER.

Come on man, we're not THAT cheap up here.

Well, you know that if EA came knocking on the CFL's door asking for the license the CFL would pretty much give it away. Could you imagine the exposure.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Lothars wrote: »

That would be great.

oh my god

another person from saskatchewan

I never thought I'd see the day

I would probably buy a CFL themed game

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    for everyone asking for a curling game, google "Take out weight curling 2" it's a PC game, and I've played it.

and yes, Mario Hockey would, in fact, be the shit. Not shit, but the shit.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd be all over a curling game but I'm one of those Canadians who is a giant NFL fan. I couldn't care less about the CFL, though sometimes I watch because my province has a good team.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lothars wrote: »

That would be great.

oh my god

another person from saskatchewan

I never thought I'd see the day

I would probably buy a CFL themed game

Every single person from Sask that I have met either online on in person (I work with 2!) is a CFL nutjob. What's up with that?

Aridhol on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mario Party 5 had a 2 vs 2 hockey mini-game which is amazing fun. I think we played that more than the boardgames.

Video Evidence

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Every single person from Sask that I have met either online on in person (I work with 2!) is a CFL nutjob. What's up with that?

Dear friends: let me just say there is a reason the entire nation of Canada treats people from Saskatchewan very delicately.

Let us leave it at that.

As for shoving it in as an extra with Madden, the field size and core rules are different enough that I doubt the AI could adapt.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Dear friends: let me just say there is a reason the entire nation of Canada treats people from Saskatchewan very delicately.

Let us leave it at that.

Haha yes.

Don't get me wrong I looooove my NFL (Go Steelers!) but, the CFL will always be number one in my books.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Let us leave it at that.

As for shoving it in as an extra with Madden, the field size and core rules are different enough that I doubt the AI could adapt.

This. The AI can't even really cope with one set of instructions.

It is kinda sad when you realize that NFL Blitz for the N64 is the closest thing to a CFL game you're ever going to get.

How about Mario and Sonic at the Lumberjack games? That would be pretty neat.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Woo roughriders

won the grey cup this year yeaaaaaaahhhhhh

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    actually...a curling game on the Wii would fit well

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How about a game about shirling?
    For the Kids in the Hall fans out there.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png