As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    and for that matter, why not a new 2D castlevania? or one where they spend more than 6 minutes making the level design?

There have been a few. Dawn of Sorrow for the DS is excellent. Portrait of Ruin is ok too.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    and for that matter, why not a new 2D castlevania? or one where they spend more than 6 minutes making the level design?
    You, uh... you don't have a DS, do you.

edit: God DAMMIT Zack

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    oops :( sorry, I meant a new 2D castlevania on PS3/360. I haven't had a chance to play portrait yet, but it does look pimp awesome. Like...ok imagine a 2D castlevania on next gen systems with phenominal music and unbelievably good artwork + animation. TONS of weapons (so many you'd never collect them all), LOTS AND LOTS of content because it being 2D won't be slogging up all the disc space with 1 million + poly count character models.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    phenominal music and unbelievably good artwork + animation. TONS of weapons (so many you'd never collect them all), LOTS AND LOTS of content

This is exactly the reason you don't see epic 2d games that take up 200 gigs. Nobody wants to be the guy to tell the artists "Yeah ok you gotta go make 100 million sprites.. Please be done by christmas release date."

Good 2d art doesnt grow on trees.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    good point :(

I dunno, it'd just be nice if it happened like once. That we'd get some unbelievably proper 2D game from a 2D series. Shit not even make it involve the most beautiful art ever seen, just make it good. It's clear Sonic Team sucks at 3D sonic games. Kinda like Core and Tomb Raider after Tomb Raider 2. Taking away the title and giving it to Crystal Dynamics was nothing short of an amazing decision.

Maybe the standard Sonic guys just shouldn't do Sonic anymore and have someone else who could make it properly in 3d, do it instead.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Really they should just make more games like Secret Rings.

Best Sonic game since Sonic 3&K.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I kinda see what DarkSymphony's talking about, though. The Disgaea games were massive in scope because they sacrificed graphical quality for an assload of gameplay, equipment, and customization options.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rocketlex wrote: »
    I kinda see what DarkSymphony's talking about, though. The Disgaea games were massive in scope because they sacrificed graphical quality for an assload of gameplay, equipment, and customization options.

I, er, no. They simply didn't pour ungodly amounts of capital they didn't have into graphics. Economical, not sacrificial.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And with this act of semantic pedantry humanity was saved and peace ruled the Earth for the next 1000 years.

Glal on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would imagine that 2d sprites actually cost more per artist than 3d models do. It's a shitload of work, and frames often have to be drawn from scratch. Someone dissected the sprites from a Street Fighter game, one of the later ones, and each character consisted of something like 300+ frames. They used some brilliant techniques to re-use frames in certain animations, though.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of sprites, I remember some months ago someone here had posted sprites from various fighting games, just to show the difference in resolution, and the sprites for Guilty Gears were freaking huge compared to most everything else.

Henroid on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    And with this act of semantic pedantry humanity was saved and peace ruled the Earth for the next 1000 years.

Hilarious :p

On topic, there's something to be said for hand drawn animation. Monkey Island 3 comes to mind.

devoir on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

hahahahahahahhaaha

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Personally I find it shallow and pedantic

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    you know what? the stuff about Sonic and stuff really got me thinking...

why on earth can't we get a GOOD next gen Sonic that's 2D? do they just hate making good games?

Because unless your already a sonic fan or have played any of the original games nobody would be willing to shell out the cash for a 2D game on a next gen system. Not to mention after his latest 360 monstrosity (which I have the misfortune of owning) I doubt we'll be seeing another sonic game for quite awhile.

What Sega needs to do to make a decent sonic game:

1.) Mash the original three sonic games together
    2.) Make 3D
    3.) Profit

Added Bonuses:
    -Sonic does not act like a douche
    -MAYBE a chao garden if implemented correctly

What really happens:

1.) Take original three sonic games
    2.) Throw them in the trash
    3.) Add pointless new character that nobody likes
    4.) New "Exciting" storyline, Tails is Sonic's father?
    5.) Old sonic is promoting obesity, make him thinner
    6.) While were at this lets make him act "cool"
    7.) Wonder why your game isn't selling

On a side note though, I really did like how eggman looked in the 360/ps3 version, to bad I couldn't play through the whole game it was so bad.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually, if they made some sort of high-def hand-drawn spiritual successor to the 2d games for the modern consoles, akin to that King of Fighters game, I imagine it would sell like hotcakes. If Sonic is still making them enough money even with the lacking quality of many of the recent titles then the public interest is clearly still there.

I don't even like Sonic's gameplay, but a 2d platformer running at 1920×1080? Fucking hot.

Or, a cel-shaded 3d game that runs in a 2d side projection, with sections that rotate the camera around, or have Sonic get flung into the screen onto the platforms in the background, sort of like that Lomax game from a decade ago.

Glal on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Or, a cel-shaded 3d game that runs in a 2d side projection, with sections that rotate the camera around, or have Sonic get flung into the screen onto the platforms in the background, sort of like that Lomax game from a decade ago.

Gold

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sega does still make excellent 2D sonic games. On the handhelds.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to a purely 2D Sonic game on the home consoles. Just sayin'.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Although I wouldn't be opposed to a purely 2D Sonic game on the home consoles. Just sayin'.

Is Sonic Rush 2 very good? I really liked the first one, only sonic game I've gotten a 100% in.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fishguy wrote: »

Is Sonic Rish 2 very good? I really liked the first one, only sonic game I've gotten a 100% in.

It's certainly decent, although grinding for vehicle parts is annoying.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    johnct311johnct311 Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    It's certainly decent, although grinding for vehicle parts is annoying.
    Yeah, that got annoying kinda quick. That can at least be sped up by turning down the difficulty and then just fighting the bosses over and over... and over....... and over......... yeah. Otherwise a great game.

johnct311 on
    JohnCT311.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sparrow wrote: »

2.) Make 3D
    3.) Profit

Mario transitioned to 3D so well precisely because Nintendo didn't do that, though.

jothki on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I don't know if "excellent" is the right word. Maybe "not completely shitty." I bought Sonic Rush. It didn't even come close to touching the Genesis games. I loved the graphics, but that was about it. I didn't even feel compelled to finish Rush, while the Genesis games are so addicting I can replay them over and over again.

I still think Secret Rings is an average game that only seems great compared to the shitfests that were Heroes, Shadow, and the 360 game.

I don't think Sega can get me to play another Sonic game unless they remake one of the Genesis games with new graphics, but stay extremely faithful to the gameplay.

Dirty on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    jothki wrote: »

2.) Make 3D
    3.) Profit

Mario transitioned to 3D so well precisely because Nintendo didn't do that, though.

Sonic also made an awesome transition into 3D.

It was after that first 3D iteration that someone thru a wrench into the vagina that is SEGA.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

2.) Make 3D
    3.) Profit

Sonic also made an awesome transition into 3D.

It was after that first 3D iteration that someone thru a wrench into the vagina that is SEGA.

I don't really think Sonic Adventure and Mario 64 are comparable quality-wise. Sonic Adventure wasn't bad, but they could've done better. A lot better.

Unfortunately they've just been doing worse and worse.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    phenominal music and unbelievably good artwork + animation. TONS of weapons (so many you'd never collect them all), LOTS AND LOTS of content

This is exactly the reason you don't see epic 2d games that take up 200 gigs. Nobody wants to be the guy to tell the artists "Yeah ok you gotta go make 100 million sprites.. Please be done by christmas release date."

Good 2d art doesnt grow on trees.
    Not to stray too far, but anyone interested in seeing what this kind of effort actually looks like should check out pictures of the new King of Fighters XII. It cost a lot of money and took a long time though, which is why you hardly ever see a pure 2d game on a home console any longer: the costs of 2d art production rise exponentially with resolution, while being much less flexible than 3d assets.

More on topic, unlike older games, due to cost I don't expect there would be much cut from a game such as KoF XII. Having artists draw a bunch of HD-resolution sprites you never end up using is like bleeding money, so one would think the art planning would be a very high and tightly-managed concern. Perhaps they will surprise us yet, though.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here's a couple of things about Super Mario Bros 3 I only now noticed.

World 3:

smb3world3wb6.jpg

The islands toward the middle with the 2 houses are shaped like a mushroom house, with lakes as spots and a green hill as the door. The islands on the far right with the castle are shaped like japan.

World 7 is even better:

smb3world7vs7.jpg

a series of tubes :P
    Those are awesome; I played SMB3 throughout my childhood and never noticed that.

A little late with this, but I'd like to point out that they've placed the castle in what would roughly correspond with Osaka. Osaka Castle is probably the most famous and important castle in Japanese history.

whuppins on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What SEGA need to do to make Sonic good again is something utterly insane like making some kind of RPG on the DS and give it to some North American company to make.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait, so Sonic 2006 actually was going to turn out good, and then they fucked it up? Who'da thunk.

Also, this thread just reminded me to pick up SatSR.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright duders, new Sonic Xtreme stuff time.

First a preface - the videos of Sonic Xtreme posted earlier are videos of test levels created within the span of a day to show off the engine. Due to several circumstances, videos of ACTUAL levels (i.e. the REAL game that was being worked on, with REAL level design) have been in the hands of a select few for a while now. Those circumstances have been resolved graciously thanks to Chris Senn.

So I present, 100% real Sonic Xtreme: Link!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    To put it another way - the old videos were just engine tests. This is the actual game.

EDIT: Another video is coming later today.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    *click*

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    omgboomlol wrote:
    Usually when I play a game it's pretty rare when I find a glitch that works in my favor. For example when I played Half-life and take an elevator going up, good ol Gordons feet would get stuck in the floor. Rendering him completely immobile.
    I had that happen a few times, pretty much only porblem I can think of with halflife.

Got me killed on so many epic kill streaks on ts_lobby that I stopped taking it.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holy hell the second video is impressive.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've downloaded the first video, but when trying to download the second one, I get this error:
    This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Peewi on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    I've downloaded the first video, but when trying to download the second one, I get this error:
    This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OTAOGY2A

area on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Really they should just make more games like Secret Rings.

Best Sonic game since Sonic 3&K.

Hmm, i may have to check out secret rings. A friend of mine bought it, and wasn't all that impressed by it. But we dont always see eye to eye when it comes to games.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Really interesting videos you put up TSR. I think if the game was ever actually released, i would feel sick while playing it. Just watching the videos, the motion of it was bugging me.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rehosted the second one on Vimeo, for streaming.

The first is on the way.

LewieP on