As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Sports eh?

2»

• Options
    wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Lothars wrote: »
    I would definitely buy a CFL game if it came out

That would be great.

oh my god

another person from saskatchewan

I never thought I'd see the day

I would probably buy a CFL themed game

Every single person from Sask that I have met either online on in person (I work with 2!) is a CFL nutjob. What's up with that?

I think its because its all we have, No NHL Teams, No MLB, NBA. I think you'll find that people from Saskatchewan will be fans of all sorts of different NHL teams too, for lack of a local team. Are there alot of Phoenix Coyotes fans in Winnipeg due to the Jets history?

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why not just add a secondary CFL mode in a normal Madden Game? You can customize a lot of rules in most sports games anyways, just allow a switch between Canadian and American rules. Not much is different. 12 players vs 11, 3 downs instead of 4, no fair catches, etc. Even give the player a choice to start a CFL team in Franchise mode and play for the Grey Cup.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Interesting. My roommate was offered a job with EA out in BC working on new sports games. I wonder if there's a correlation?

Oats on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Every single person from Sask that I have met either online on in person (I work with 2!) is a CFL nutjob. What's up with that?

Dear friends: let me just say there is a reason the entire nation of Canada treats people from Saskatchewan very delicately.

Let us leave it at that.

As for shoving it in as an extra with Madden, the field size and core rules are different enough that I doubt the AI could adapt.

Well I am not a CFL nutjob but I definitely would love to see a CFL game even if it was just madden with CFL teams added on

and the reason they treat us delicately is because we are such a great provience ;) especially considering the provience to the west of us :P :)

Edit: I had to say it especially since I see where your from apotheos :)

Lothars on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Saskatchewan is definitely a great place...to be from.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Dear friends: let me just say there is a reason the entire nation of Canada treats people from Saskatchewan very delicately.

Let us leave it at that.

They did a study on how people react to accidents - primarily vocal evidence. Across Canada the data was very similar. People said some variant of "Oh shit!" in the moments before an accident. Saskatchewan was the only anomaly with most people saying "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I seriously cannot believe there is a discussion about Saskatchewan in my Penny Arcade forums. This is surreal. I have had the same avatar for years, and I won't ever change it.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Woo roughriders

won the grey cup this year yeaaaaaaahhhhhh

...Barely.

Hmmm, I might have to get Blitz 64.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Woo roughriders

won the grey cup this year yeaaaaaaahhhhhh

...Barely.

Hmmm, I might have to get Blitz 64.

Right. Riders played thier worst game of the year and still pulled it off. Glorious.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes, it would be great if HYPOTHETICALLY somebody made a curling game. Oh wait.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    roywhitbyroywhitby Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If they have released Arena League games why can't they give us a CFL game? Please don't be offended AFL fans. This doesn't mean that I don't think there should be Arena games. But if those games can have players in motion before the snap and could play on such a small field why can't they change the rules for a CFL game? Otherwise we need the ability to make logos, helmets and uniform kits to share on Live or something. I'm sure the CFL teams would be made.

Another Canadian game that would be cool would be OHL/WHL/QMJHL hockey. I might buy that over NHL and it would get a following up here I think like NCAA Football in the States. Just thinking about playing a season as the Petes and trying to get to the Memorial Cup makes me look a little inappropriate for work.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    roywhitby wrote: »
    If they have released Arena League games why can't they give us a CFL game? Please don't be offended AFL fans. This doesn't mean that I don't think there should be Arena games. But if those games can have players in motion before the snap and could play on such a small field why can't they change the rules for a CFL game? Otherwise we need the ability to make logos, helmets and uniform kits to share on Live or something. I'm sure the CFL teams would be made.

Another Canadian game that would be cool would be OHL/WHL/QMJHL hockey. I might buy that over NHL and it would get a following up here I think like NCAA Football in the States. Just thinking about playing a season as the Petes and trying to get to the Memorial Cup makes me look a little inappropriate for work.

I haven't tried it but apparently if you play a dynasty in the new NHL game you can play the farm team for the team. So if I played as the Canucks in my dynasty apparently you can play the Manitoba Moose games too.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    In case everyone has forgotten this existed:

CFL Football '99

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I haven't tried it but apparently if you play a dynasty in the new NHL game you can play the farm team for the team. So if I played as the Canucks in my dynasty apparently you can play the Manitoba Moose games too.

That's true you can play the AHL schedule as well but this is junior hockey I'm talking about. There's not a lot of Canadian AHL teams (off the top of my head I think it's only Toronto, Manitoba and Hamilton). I'm talking about Peterborough vs. Belleville. Or Regina vs. Prince George. Wouldn't that be awesome?

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    That's true you can play the AHL schedule as well but this is junior hockey I'm talking about. There's not a lot of Canadian AHL teams (off the top of my head I think it's only Toronto, Manitoba and Hamilton). I'm talking about Peterborough vs. Belleville. Or Regina vs. Prince George. Wouldn't that be awesome?

First, really how many people are even going to play this?

Second, as it is amateur sport, there is no way to license the players.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It would be cool though.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, it's kind of sad that I didn't know a CFL existed.

But like many of you said, I would be all over a curling game.
    If it was free

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So for all you followers of the CFL, I just read that Kerry Joseph is being traded to Toronto. :cry: I am not even kidding.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• Options
    edited March 2008

First we're throwing awesome Canadian games ideas out there. Isn't this one of them? I think a lot of smaller town Canadian gamers would definitely buy it. If EA did this they could use the NHL 08 engine. The only costs would be creating teams and players. This would be a good bit of work with 60 or so teams and all of their players. EA made the Elite Leagues so they could make these teams. The market for this game would be better than you think. There are 50-60 teams in Canada where there would be a fan base to buy the game. I don't know what the market would be if it was a full priced game but if EA already is reusing the engine, maybe commentary etc. then they could pull a budget title off. Some authenticity would have to be sacrificed as the game couldn't be expected to have all of the arenas (ie. no small arena with square boards like here at the Peterborough Memorial Centre).

Second, I don't think you are right with the amateurs. Most of these players already have agents. I can buy hockey cards of junior players with their autographs/jerseys etc. The players would have to be getting a cut of that I think. So if the players can be on hockey cards then they can be in a video game. And if this game didn't have licensed players I'm sure the community would pitch in and we would find a way to edit your favourite team. As long as I had the Petes right and then edited the stars (like Stamkos etc.) then I would be fine. Plus you could export the draft classes to NHL!

Would it work money wise? Maybe. But my idea is about what I want to see, not what is profitable.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So for all you followers of the CFL, I just read that Kerry Joseph is being traded to Toronto. :cry: I am not even kidding.

The CFL is kind of dead to me since I lived in Ottawa and the Renegades are gone. Seeing Kerry Joseph and all of the other Renegades playing in the Grey Cup was cool though. Who's the backup for Joseph? He's 32 or 33 already isn't he? Maybe they are selling high on him before his decline phase. Tillman runs the Riders right? I would trust him. He seems to know what he's doing.

roywhitby on
    sig.gif