As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 3/5/2008 - NEW FRONTIER special

jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid?NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Graphic Violence
Cooke brings it again. The Batman versus Superman story would have been enough, but the Robin / Kid Flash team up, the Black Canary / Wonder Woman team-up, and the extras put it over the top.

tOkYVT2.jpg
jkylefulton on

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    what

the

fuck

one thing to keep in mind is that there's
    Warlock and The Magus

but there is also

Warlock and The Magus.

Which I was wondering if they were going to address ever since The Phalanx started fighting the original Warlock.

EDIT: Now that I've sat down and read it, it's not nearly as WTF as I thought. This was the first issue I picked up and when I was leafing through it I thought golden robot guy (Bastion, right?) was calling HIMSELF The Magus, while looking like the original cosmic The Magus. Still, same conclusion I guess - big evil technorganic evil.

Also Penance would have been sweet if he
    actually threw the damn suit away. Sigh.

august on
    edited March 2008
    dammit

august on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Eh, we should use your thread instead, I've had too many of them.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    My MotW is the NEW FRONTIER SPECIAL. Cooke brings it again. The Batman versus Superman story would have been enough, but the Robin / Kid Flash team up, the Black Canary / Wonder Woman team-up, and the extras put it over the top.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Well, you beat me I'll just see if I can delete mine.

august on
    edited March 2008
    NEW FRONTIER IMAGES (Spoiled for size more than actual spoilery stuff):
    jlnfs1p03hv0.jpg
    jlnfs1p35ju1.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    is your WTF for X-Force a good wtf or a bad wtf

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    NEW FRONTIER IMAGES (Spoiled for size more than actual spoilery stuff):
    jlnfs1p03hv0.jpg
    jlnfs1p35ju1.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited March 2008
    Penance doing it American History X style.

Might wanna add NSF56 XD.
    pr5dcp014ra1.jpg

Shamuuu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do they explain how this fits in continuity? Or do they just ignore little things like the fact that Nitro's dead already?

Fencingsax on
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited March 2008
    He never died right? Just tortured?

Shamuuu on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When did Nitro die before? Wolverine cut off his arm and then gave him to Namor.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Isn't Paul Jenkins writing the PENANCE miniseries? I'm guessing he's just ignoring any other established continuity, because that's just what he does.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    When did Nitro die before? Wolverine cut off his arm and then gave him to Namor.
    Namor used Nitro to blow up Atlantis in the NAMOR miniseries, presumably killing him. Maybe it didn't though.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Namor killed him. Although I guess he may not really be dead, and Namor took him to Doctor Doom when they all went.

Or it's one of those things, that when Nitro blows up he still survives despite it being impossible. It's his "power" after all.

Shamuuu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shamuuu wrote: »
    Namor killed him. Although I guess he may not really be dead, and Namor took him to Doctor Doom when they all went.

Or it's one of those things, that when Nitro blows up he still survives despite it being impossible. It's his "power" after all.
    Yes, but he was at the bottom of the ocean. The pressure would've crushed him.

Fencingsax on
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited March 2008
    Shamuuu wrote: »

Yes, but he was at the bottom of the ocean. The pressure would've crushed him.

It's magic!

Shamuuu on
    edited March 2008
    is your WTF for X-Force a good wtf or a bad wtf

Now that I actually read it it's not nearly as wtf.

Still, unexpected plot element.

At least I think so - I didn't read 1.

august on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    concerning green lantern.

that Atrocitus dude
    is just a regular red lanter right, he's not the "guardian" per se of the red lanterns?

Sars_Boy on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Namor used Nitro to blow up Atlantis in the NAMOR miniseries, presumably killing him. Maybe it didn't though.
    Well the thing to remember is that at the end of the Namor mini-series, Namor hooked up with Doom.

Owenashi on
    edited March 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    concerning green lantern.

that Atrocitus dude
    is just a regular red lanter right, he's not the "guardian" per se of the red lanterns?

That's how I read it, yeah.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Well the thing to remember is that at the end of the Namor mini-series, Namor hooked up with Doom.
    As if DOOM would lower himself to work with a mort like Nitro.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    I gotta ask.

Has there always been this past friendship between Hal and Sinestro, or is that something John's is coming up with?

Because I feel like it's being shoehorned into their past but I don't know.

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure if we really need to be spoiling this stuff, but the mighty DOOM
    had Nitro in chains in a cell. As a bargaining chip or somesuch I guess

august on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Man, I want an alternate New Frontier Cooke-iverse where he's cloned and puts out 4-5 regular series a month with the characters. Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and a rotating Showcase book.

DMAC on
    edited March 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    Man, I want an alternate New Frontier Cooke-iverse where he's cloned and puts out 4-5 regular series a month with the characters. Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and a rotating Showcase book.

In theory, this is what we had when DC was regularly publishing BATMAN ADVENTURES and SUPERMAN ADVENTURES. The JLU book is terrific as well, but I think DC is cancelling it (because they aren't so bright when it comes to certain things).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    fuck it I'm putting them both together

DJ Eebs on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's probably why he had Nitro locked up in a top-security prison.

I like Penance, and I'm guessing that, in the end
    He'll just wind up going back to the Thunderbolts and Osborn will smooth everything over. After all, Penance came back, gave them Nitro, and still wants to do good. Osborn still wants a powerhouse. This will probably fit back into main continuity without much trouble.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited March 2008
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    That's probably why he had Nitro locked up in a top-security prison.

I like Penance, and I'm guessing that, in the end
    He'll just wind up going back to the Thunderbolts and Osborn will smooth everything over. After all, Penance came back, gave them Nitro, and still wants to do good. Osborn still wants a powerhouse. This will probably fit back into main continuity without much trouble.

Correct.

Shamuuu on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And everything in 616 remains as fucked up as ever.

Whee!

(Note that I approve of this status quo.)

Crimsondude on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So my MotW

Buffy
    Is a Lesbian...really, come on Joss I expected better from you.

smokmnky on
    edited March 2008
    I guess this kinda takes place in the future, but what with Secret Invasion coming, and Dr. Doom doing other stuff (along with Mighty Avengers), I just don't see how it would fit.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2008
    I don't see why it wouldn't.

EDIT: It just takes place before the current Secret Invasion DOOM time travel shenanigans.

august on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    First motw for me:

All New Atom
    The whole part where he is describing the cancer, and then the narrative as he's getting into the blood cell were really awesome.

I really dug the new art.. didn't like the letters as much. I dunno if that has changed or not.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So my MotW

Buffy

You're kidding.....right? That's ridiculous, after you know....Angel, Finn, Spike, that demon guy Spike and Angel tried to "save" her from......

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So my MotW

Buffy

You're kidding.....right? That's ridiculous, after you know....Angel, Finn, Spike, that demon guy Spike and Angel tried to "save" her from......

She didn't actually date "that demon guy" (The Immortal) one of her impostors did. That being said yes that is the reason, Joss created a definite pattern with her never once was there a hint that she would go that way and then suddenly after like 2 issues she's with this other slayer? I just didn't work for me.

The revel scene was pretty funny though.

smokmnky on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The New Frontier Special was such a refreshingly great read. Definately long overdue.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited March 2008
    you have no idea how badly I want Cooke to follow through on his NF sequel idea

Sars_Boy on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So my MotW

Buffy

She didn't actually date "that demon guy" (The Immortal) one of her impostors did. That being said yes that is the reason, Joss created a definite pattern with her never once was there a hint that she would go that way and then suddenly after like 2 issues she's with this other slayer? I just didn't work for me.

The revel scene was pretty funny though.

Whedon said it was just a young girl experimenting and she's not a lesbian. There was something in the NYpost or something like that.

KVW on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    fuck it I'm putting them both together

Next time delete them both and start again?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG