As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids these days

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know I had no idea that people hated Catcher until I came to this forum. this SUB forum. Fuck you all, its a good book. Just because you hate teenage angst doesn't make it not a good book. Goddam phoneys.

Also French Kiss is a good rom-com

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Wiggin if you bailed on Catcher what book did you end up reading?

Einhander on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    No it is a horrible book with a protagonist who should've slit his fucking wrists and been done with it.

Me Too! on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    You know I had no idea that people hated Catcher until I came to this forum. this SUB forum. Fuck you all, its a good book. Just because you hate teenage angst doesn't make it not a good book. Goddam phoneys.

Also French Kiss is a good rom-com

who the fuck are you and explain to me why shouldn't just disregard your opinion on every subject in the future

Pony on
    edited March 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Wiggin if you bailed on Catcher what book did you end up reading?

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
    Great book, but also one that's kinda hard for me to read.
    It's about an autistic kid, and the way he thinks and writes is very similar to myself.
    So you know

Me Too! on
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Coldbrand wrote: »
    Pony one of the upgrades for the Dark Eldar commander in Soulstorm is a fucking dead skin mask stretched out over his face that grates enemy morale, I just wanted to say that to someone who might appreciate it

so they decided to go with the terrifying cenobite-like dark eldar

good

i always preferred them to the whiney emokid dark eldar

well....it's pretty fucking weird, but.. when you're capturing points with warrior squads they pull out combat knifes and slit their wrists and led the blood flow to the ground

I gotta' say I'd be pretty fucking unnerved by that though as some schmuck imperial citizen

Coldbrand on
    edited March 2008
    Well furst of all just because you don't like Holden, that doesn't make it a bad book. He's not an unsympathetic character.

DodgeBlan on

edited March 2008
    when i was in OAC (grade 13, basically you used to get first year university courses for free as an optional extra level of high school) we were doing all this Jungian shadow archetype stuff in English.

so i was like "hey, we could do fight club!" since hey hey, it's pretty much jungian as fuck

i suggest to my teacher about it, she reads a copy i loaned her, and she thinks its perfect

whoa hey did that start shit i did not anticipate

all people dropping the course in protest n shit

Pony on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    No it is a horrible book with a protagonist who should've slit his fucking wrists and been done with it.

Kids these days. Suicide is their answer to everything.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    when i was in OAC (grade 13, basically you used to get first year university courses for free as an optional extra level of high school) we were doing all this Jungian shadow archetype stuff in English.

so i was like "hey, we could do fight club!" since hey hey, it's pretty much jungian as fuck

i suggest to my teacher about it, she reads a copy i loaned her, and she thinks its perfect

those people were tools anyways

Coldbrand on
  • yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    i fuckin HATE romance

There's romance as in Mills & Boone and then there's romance as in straight fiction with a love story attached

I'm talking about the latter

in my house we used to have a stack of harlequin romance novels about four feet high, lining a wall for about fourteen feet

look at this guy

in my house we just used firewood

mister fancy man

when my house burned down, we lost them all

along with the rest of the wall, which was completely lined with various pocketbooks all the way to the roof

DESTROYER NUMBERS ONE TO INFINITY

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
    edited March 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Well furst of all just because you don't like Holden, that doesn't make it a bad book. He's not an unsympathetic character.

he's a completely unlikeable and worthless human being, which would be fine if his story was at all interesting or anything

i mean, tom ripley was a big ole douchebag and a terrible person but the talented mr. ripley gripped me as a story and actually shook me on a deep level

catcher in the rye provoked no emotions out of me except boredom and contempt.

if it spoke to your abloo abloo teen angst, good on you

but i didn't angst as a teen, so

whatever

Pony on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One of my favourite authors is pretty much out of print now

he was pretty popular in his time, there were a bunch of movies based on his books :(

Janson on
    edited March 2008
    Coldbrand wrote: »

those people were tools anyways

pretty much

they dropped it because they were stuck-up youth ministry types who didn't approve of the book's graphic content or pretty much nihilistic message.

pussies

Pony on
    edited March 2008

he was pretty popular in his time, there were a bunch of movies based on his books :(

I miss Tom Clancy too, Janson

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited March 2008
    Ringo wrote: »

sir you are on fire tonight

excellent form

Pony on
    edited March 2008

Why don't you just post the name of the fucking author instead of trying to bait everyone into asking who it is, thereby guaranteeing yourself some form of interaction?

Einhander on
    edited March 2008

Why don't you just post the name of the fucking author instead of trying to bait everyone into asking who it is, thereby guaranteeing yourself some form of interaction?

damn dude
    that was pretty rude
    attitude
    take a lude
    crude

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
    edited March 2008
    I was going to say Ian Fleming, but I'm pretty sure the Bond books are still in print.

Me Too! on
    edited March 2008

sir you are on fire tonight

excellent form

Sometimes you just shoot the lights out. Happy to be appreciated in my own time :)

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Holden was a depressed whiner because he couldn't get with his underage sister.

I suppose that hits close to home with some of you.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2008

Because I didn't think anyone would care

Janson on
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Holden was a depressed whiner because he couldn't get with his underage sister.

I suppose that hits close to home with some of you.

seriously

what a douchebag holden was

Pony on
    edited March 2008

damn dude
    that was pretty rude
    attitude
    take a lude
    crude

It was pretty dickish, but I hate it when someone posts something that, thinly veiled fishing. It's like the guy who posts

"Man, I had the worst day today"

and that's it.

If you're sad about your favorite author not being printed anymore, tell us who it is so we can agree/disagree with you. It shouldn't take more than one post to get a point across.

But I am sort of a dick today so that might be part of it.
    Janson wrote:
    Because I didn't think anyone would care

You seem like a relatively sharp tack, I am curious as to who your favorite author is.

Einhander on
    edited March 2008
    Personally I liked Catcher in the Rye. It wasn't the greatest book I'd ever written, but I at least thought it was interesting.

Of course, that was years ago, and the only thing I remember is him pretending he was shot and dying at the bar. So the book could be absolute trash, but I don't remember it being terrible.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

you're not allowed to make these kinds of suggestions because you are the spastic with aspergers syndrome

Oden on
    edited March 2008
    TBH i remember getting quite bored at the end, I just feel someone should defend the book. I did enjoy the prostitute episode though, and the subsequent bit where he imagines being in a movie.

DodgeBlan on

edited March 2008
    Ah, okay, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gallico

Some of his books are overly mushy - you have to be in the right mood to read them - and some of his books are a little out-dated, but he tells a story very, very well.

I mostly admire him for his ability to tell a story about, well, anything. He makes stories about sport, stories about one day in the life of a family at the Queen's coronation, stories about stereotypical char-ladies and stories about cute animals all sound equally compelling.

Janson on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited March 2008
    some people feel compelled to defend catcher in the rye

because they feel they should defend it as a piece of literature

like somehow, culture dies a little if people hate it and nobody tries to say "hey it's great literature!"

no

it is trash

just because people made the mistake of respecting it in the past doesn't mean anyone should defend it

Pony on
    edited March 2008
    camus is my favourite 8-)

The Stranger made me want to kill people. Lots and lots of people.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited March 2008
    Janson a friend of mine tried to get me to read The Abandoned by Gallico, but I was too busy with other books at the time. I might have to take her up on it once I get caught up on my other books.

Einhander on
    edited March 2008
    i wish i was holden caulfield

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
    edited March 2008
    The Abandoned is the first book of his I read and it is very good :^:

His books are not high-brow literature and they're quite easy to read, they're just really sweet. He sums himself up pretty well:
    Gallico once told New York Magazine "I'm a rotten novelist. I'm not even literary. I just like to tell stories and all my books tell stories.... If I had lived 2,000 years ago I'd be going around to caves, and I'd say, 'Can I come in? I'm hungry. I'd like some supper. In exchange, I'll tell you a story. Once upon a time there were two apes.' And I'd tell them a story about two cavemen."

Janson on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    camus is my favourite 8-)

The Stranger made me want to kill people. Lots and lots of people.
    The book was pretty boring, but I don't know if I'd have killed someone because of it!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    discussing favorite novels and whatnot is a good way to learn stuff about someone

datin' this one gal, things going okay

she brings up books that have emotionally affected oneself

not necessarily books we really liked, but ones that really got something out of us

she says fifth business, and a seperate peace

i say the talented mr. ripley and thus spoke zarathustra

we get into talking about it, and it's pretty clear on a pretty huge personality level, we're really incompatible people

it was nice, in a way. i mean, it was also awkward and stuff but it saved bullshit later when we'd realize this through arguments or something

Pony on
    edited March 2008
    some people feel compelled to defend catcher in the rye

because they feel they should defend it as a piece of literature

like somehow, culture dies a little if people hate it and nobody tries to say "hey it's great literature!"

no

it is trash

just because people made the mistake of respecting it in the past doesn't mean anyone should defend it

It might not be great.

But there is no way that its trash.

DodgeBlan on

edited March 2008
    your a fuckin pussy for liking it

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
    edited March 2008
    Personally I liked Catcher in the Rye. It wasn't the greatest book I'd ever written, but I at least thought it was interesting.

Of course, that was years ago, and the only thing I remember is him pretending he was shot and dying at the bar. So the book could be absolute trash, but I don't remember it being terrible.

Guys

GUYS

I'm secretly J.D. Salinger!

Why didn't anybody tell me?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG