As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 reading an Ubuntu Share for media?

DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
I finally got my 360 to connect to my windows (XP) PC tonight, and I notice the 360 cannot see the ubuntu machine/shares, and it cannot pick up any media I have in the library in WMP11 on the PC that isnt local. I tried placing a shortcut to the share in the folder that it was watching, but to no avail. It CAN see media that is on the local windows computer, but nothing on my share, which actually has all my music and video.

Is there anyway to get this working currently? Moving over media every time I want to watch it is not going to work. Does this work with Vista? I have a buisness copy right here that I uninstalled after the BS it put me through, but if itill make things work ill have to bite the bullet.

Im not sure if I am missing any pertinent information here.... the windows pc connects to the ubuntu box fine, my media is all in the wmp11 library and plays without error....

steam_sig.png
DiannaoChong on

• Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think Vista Business has Media Centre and to be honest I'm not really sure what your problem is (It's late, I'm tired).

As far as picking up media sharing from non-Microsoft things goes, I believe there's some third party upnp sharing software or something and I think Nero, Winamp and some other big names now have their own sharing apps out, but I don't think they run on Linux so you'd need to go with some upnp library or something.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You don't need Media Center, squirly, you just need WMP11 or TVersity on Windows. Under Linux, ushare should work as a WMP server substitute.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    would tversity work for allowing the 360 to see the windows pc, and see the linux share through it? Becuase thats good enough and I hate digging into ubuntu to compile and get stuff working if I can help it.

ohhhhhhhhh ushare has a package, nevermind! Thanks, gonna try this out.

edit: haha, well it kind of works! the videos cant be in a directory tree, have to be out in a folder by themselves. and the 360 can connect, but not see the media, woot. double edit: completely works now, but only sees my first directory and none of the others, oh well Ill figure it out, thanks everyone!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    You don't need Media Center, squirly, you just need WMP11 or TVersity on Windows. Under Linux, ushare should work as a WMP server substitute.
    I'm sorry, where did I even remotely imply that you need Media Centre to stream music? And if I had done so why the hell would I make all those other suggestions?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I'm sorry, where did I even remotely imply that you need Media Centre to stream music? And if I had done so why the hell would I make all those other suggestions?

Geez, calm down; I thought that's what you were saying with your first paragraph up there. The one that warns that Vista Business doesn't have MC.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HAKdragonHAKdragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've had...issues with uShare. On my 360, it list all of my music files. Even if you select Artists or Album, it still showed a list of songs. Granted, they would play when I navigated down to Songs, but it would only show the first 1000. I've had much better luck with TwonkyMedia. It works very well with both my 360 and my PS3. The biggest downside is that it requires a license key ($40). Though it works on Linux, Windows, and OS X and comes with a 30 day trial.

HAKdragon on
    hakdragon.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I like UPnP so far, the only issue is it dosent read more then one directory when I give it multiple to share.

I dont mind all files being listed, as I felt I would just make a playlist anyways if I were going to play a game.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png