As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 3/5/2008 - NEW FRONTIER special

• Options
    WizardFistWizardFist Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    So my MotW

Buffy
    Is a Lesbian...really, come on Joss I expected better from you.

You're kidding.....right? That's ridiculous, after you know....Angel, Finn, Spike, that demon guy Spike and Angel tried to "save" her from......

She didn't actually date "that demon guy" (The Immortal) one of her impostors did. That being said yes that is the reason, Joss created a definite pattern with her never once was there a hint that she would go that way and then suddenly after like 2 issues she's with this other slayer? I just didn't work for me.

The revel scene was pretty funny though.

I doubt that she's actually a lesbian now. Her sexual frustration has been mentioned more than a couple of times since the first issue. It's more like some experimenting rather than "batting for the other team."

WizardFist on
    1242529-1.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah come on guys, she'd been having wet dreams about threesomes with Angel and Spike and with freaking Xander. She and this chick had just been through a near deadly fight with the Big Bad, it was a one time thing.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    I was actually a bit disappointed with the New Frontier Special. I mean, it was fantastic, but I was expecting more.

The Superman/Batman story was the best because it actually built upon the NF story and made the story a bit deeper. The other two stories were good, but ultimately pointless. The Wonder Woman/Black Canary story especially so, as it was obviously more about humor than it was about presenting that time period.

I mean, I liked all three and it was definitely worth my $5 and then some, but I just think it would have been a lot better if there were more stories or if those two stories were a bit more fleshed out.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    nightwing is such a great book now

I just hate Rags Morales' art

Tim looked 7 years old before he put his costume on. It all just looks like quick sketches.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    let me

let me get this straight

i am not trying to provoke anyone here

but how

how in god's name is penance even being mentioned?

i read the new warriors "reality show" precursor to civil war

and good fucking lord

now he's curb-stomping people?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    let me

let me get this straight

i am not trying to provoke anyone here

but how

how in god's name is penance even being mentioned?

i read the new warriors "reality show" precursor to civil war

and good fucking lord

now he's curb-stomping people?

Attribute it to post-traumatic stress disorder, survivor's guild, and one too many 'drop the soap' moments while he was locked up.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i'll still go for edward norton every time

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    nightwing is such a great book now

I like Rags Morales' art (though oddly enough we get three inkers this issue)

No scans yet, but there's a great conversation between Tim and Dick in the Batplane -
    "Kinda nice having the JSA only a few miles south. THey've been a big help. "

"Did Power Girl do some heavy lifting?"

"As a matter of fact she did."

"Uniform or civvies?"

"Uniform. Think clean thoughts, chum. "

:rotate:

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And of course, from the amazingly beautiful Teen Titans Year One #3, the moment you've all been waiting for...the battle of the millenium.

Aqualad kicks some serious ass.

n47288.jpg

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I don't think they could have picked a more inappropriate artist for the Raven series

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gotta say... the continuation of Cyclops being a badass in X-Factor is my MotW

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So my MotW

Buffy
    Is a Lesbian...really, come on Joss I expected better from you.

You're kidding.....right? That's ridiculous, after you know....Angel, Finn, Spike, that demon guy Spike and Angel tried to "save" her from......

She didn't actually date "that demon guy" (The Immortal) one of her impostors did. That being said yes that is the reason, Joss created a definite pattern with her never once was there a hint that she would go that way and then suddenly after like 2 issues she's with this other slayer? I just didn't work for me.

The revel scene was pretty funny though.

I'll say. Opening up the goddamn New York Times and seeing the page was quite something.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Green Lantern-
    Laira- Red Lantern. I totally called it.

Also- New Doctor Who comics from IDW! Whoote!

Tach on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Which apparently we can't get in the UK! Whoo!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    My MotW is a toss-up between Green Lantern and Moon Knight.
    I'm really not feeling ASM this week. The whole 3x monthly thing sounded great, but it's kinda fizzling.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Which apparently we can't get in the UK! Whoo!

Define: Irony.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wildcat on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does anybody around here read 2000AD? Because there was a pretty sweet Future Shock this week.

Well, a little unpolished. But still totally rad.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Gotta say... the continuation of Cyclops being a badass in X-Factor is my MotW

Do you mean X-Force? X-Factor didn't come out this week to my knowledge (or based on Diamond).

Sars_Boy wrote:
    I gotta ask.

Has there always been this past friendship between Hal and Sinestro, or is that something John's is coming up with?

Because I feel like it's being shoehorned into their past but I don't know.

I didn't see this answered, but ya, they were fairly friendly. Sinestro was asked by the Guardians, him being the greatest GL and all, to rein in the hotshot rookie Hal Jordan. They weren't John Stewert or Guy and Hal-like friends, but Hal at least respected Sinestro until he found out he was an evil dictator GL of his homeworld. Im not sure if this was added in Emerald Dawn or if it was always there from the start. Johns seems to be expanding their former friendship, but nothing shoehorned in or anything.

New Frontier thoughts
    New Frontier was easily the best thing this week. The Batman Superman fight was perfect. I loved the Teen Titans psuedo origin and the flaming Wonder Bra story was light hearted enough to end the book. Rip Hunter's opening shooting of the aluminum salesman and Wonder Woman asking Bruce Wayne why he's at a strip club were the best parts though.

Nightwing
    Nightwing was fantastic again this month. Tomasi is doing great things early on in his run here. I could take it or leave it in regards to the art. Not bad, but not great either. Someone mentioned the Power Girl / chum scene, but the entire segment with Robin was great.

Dick loads up the Batplane with a tonne of heavy ordance while talking to Robin about the crazy stuff thats happened, like the League of Batmen over in Grant's book. Dicks like "I knew those guys, good people, how they doing?" and Robin explains how one went nuts, another got stabbed a bunch of times and his partner killed and Dick's old buddy blew up the old Batplane. Good times.

In the end, Dick leaves a note signed by "Your pal, Jimmy Olsen" to explain how they borrowed a few things, which Alfred checks the supply closet to see a few means everything.

I'll see abou tgetting some scans for some of this later.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Does anybody around here read 2000AD? Because there was a pretty sweet Future Shock this week.

Well, a little unpolished. But still totally rad.

I haven't read 2000AD in about ten years, but I fondly recall those Future Shocks. Would you mind spoiler-explaining it?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    sorry, I did mean X-Force. Good stuff.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    I don't think they could have picked a more inappropriate artist for the Raven series

I think the best thing about that book was the "FINALLY IN HER OWN EMO SERIES" tagline on the cover. It's just so ridiculous and I can't imagine what DC is thinking in regards to that book.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i gotta tie

GL: The whole thing

Scalped: When Dash goes to his room in his mother's house and breaks down.

Algertman on
  • Options
    ShamuuuShamuuu regular
    edited March 2008
    One more, the end of Logan #1.'

Hiroshima kawaii!

Shamuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I kinda wish they had gone all out and just made Logan a max title.

But it was still awesome.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My moment of the week?

Justice League Unlimited, written by Keith Giffen, starring Blue Beetle and Booster Gold.

Yes.

Specifically, the opening of the issue where Blue and Gold sit on a rooftop watching villains trash a construction site, debating on whether or not the potential fame, wealth, and chicks are worth possibly getting beaten up for.
    At the very end there's also a great image of a Superbuddies-esque ad promoting Blue and Gold as "Superdudes" for hire.

For $2.25 it's a great buy.

Munch on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is hilarious.

a0921bnl7.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ..... They actually said "In her own emo series"?!

:lol:

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Actually, I take my moment back...

my new moment of the week is ASM, when the supervillians are placing bets on who they think is in the cacoon... one of them bets it's Jean Grey, another one bets it's Captain America... freaking funny.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I like the Bookie character quite a bit, he showed up in Swing Shift too.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Green Lantern. Every week it comes out.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Green Lantern
    The Controllers weren't my first bet as Orange Lanterns. I was thinking Mongul, trying to claim all the rings he could, like the motivational poster ads

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Who's to say he won't still get one?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I meant I was thinking he would be the leader.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not one of you said Dark Tower.

I hate you all.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Green Lantern
    The Controllers weren't my first bet as Orange Lanterns. I was thinking Mongul, trying to claim all the rings he could, like the motivational poster ads

Thank you for reminding me to find out who they were.

-edit

So reading the wiki has me thinking
    "Why didn't anyone think it was them before". But Hindsight and all, I didn't know anything about them before.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Green Lantern

Thank you for reminding me to find out who they were.

-edit

So reading the wiki has me thinking
    "Why didn't anyone think it was them before". But Hindsight and all, I didn't know anything about them before.

They've been brought up a few times here and there.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I meant I was thinking he would be the leader.

Oh. n/m then.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just finally got around to reading Invincible Presents: Atom Eve #2

Jesus Christ.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is that good or bad?

Because I enjoyed it. Depressing as all hell, but still enjoyable.

Munch on