As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why isn't there a Justice League thread?

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    This issue wasn't bad. It set up a lot of individual stories which I'm sure will tie together and the JLA will overcome them as one

But man, do I hate Michael Turner. On the cover, Arsenal is wearing Ollie's costume, it's just red. You can tell by the "G" belt buckle, and the facial hair on Roy

Garlic Bread on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    i almost snuck out the with the red tornado variant, but then the shop owner noticed.

Angry on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Damn michael turner shit shit shit

DouglasDanger on
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Man, I have high hopes for this, it's good to actually start buying a DC book from it's start again.

And I'm pretty sold on the lineup, except for Vixen. Never really liked her.

Skullo on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    what the hell is a bee's nest.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Right now all I care for is Supes, Bats wonder Woman, Hal, and Canary.

That horrible costume on Arsenal though.......kinda makes it look like when they designed the cover they were going with Ollie as first string, they didn't modify that placeholder well. Canary's looks a little odd too but I can't tell who they would have put into her slot.

If you don't know what I mean, look at the old JLA covers DC originally put up, and compare them to the actual covers printed and you can see where they just scribbled over people and some of them look more then a little off as a result. That's what I mean.

Also [spoiler:080816c147]Booster in the running for the League and Supes talking about him as though it was the one that bailed him out during Doomsday and the Energy fiasco......so it's not his ancestor, it appears he didn't die?[/spoiler:080816c147]

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Also [spoiler:a95804930e]Booster in the running for the League and Supes talking about him as though it was the one that bailed him out during Doomsday and the Energy fiasco......so it's not his ancestor, it appears he didn't die?[/spoiler:a95804930e]

If you look closely at that panel again,

[spoiler:a95804930e]I believe they were talking about Booster's suit, which was all that was left of him aside from some bones.[/spoiler:a95804930e]

I'm still enjoying Meltzer's take on the League, but this was such an obvious bridge story. It's the same problem that I had with parts of Whedon's Astonishing run - it kind of deflates all the built-up excitement as we wait to see all the set pieces put in place.

Terrorbyte on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:a7ea869092]Booster in the running for the League and Supes talking about him as though it was the one that bailed him out during Doomsday and the Energy fiasco......so it's not his ancestor, it appears he didn't die?[/spoiler:a7ea869092]

That bit actually confused me a little. [spoiler:a7ea869092]Superman said they could give his suit to someone, getting cut off before he could say who. Batman cut him off saying, "There are better ways to honor Ted." So, did Meltzer screw up and think that Booster's name was Ted, as some Newsarama people are speculating? Or did Batman think that giving the deceased Booster's old suit to someone would somehow honor Ted, since Michael was his friend? But since they're both, presumably, quite dead OYL, who would they give the suit to that would somehow honor Ted or Michael?

Fuck Batman for shooting the idea down anyways.[/spoiler:a7ea869092]

Munch on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Munch wrote:
    [spoiler:c6db9a7e80]Booster in the running for the League and Supes talking about him as though it was the one that bailed him out during Doomsday and the Energy fiasco......so it's not his ancestor, it appears he didn't die?[/spoiler:c6db9a7e80]

That bit actually confused me a little. [spoiler:c6db9a7e80]Superman said they could give his suit to someone, getting cut off before he could say who. Batman cut him off saying, "There are better ways to honor Ted." So, did Meltzer screw up and think that Booster's name was Ted, as some Newsarama people are speculating? Or did Batman think that giving the deceased Booster's old suit to someone would somehow honor Ted, since Michael was his friend? But since they're both, presumably, quite dead OYL, who would they give the suit to that would somehow honor Ted or Michael?

Fuck Batman for shooting the idea down anyways.[/spoiler:c6db9a7e80]

Though it seems like a screw up, I think you may be right on the latter portion.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2006
    also:

fuck hal, you boring dick

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2006
    Wait a second. Going with spoiler text just to be safe.

[spoiler:77ffc514fa]
    Issue 1: Diana says she's never going to vote for nightwing.
    Issue 2: She starts backing up Supes on his reccomendation, but Batman shoots them down.
    Wtf?
    [/spoiler:77ffc514fa]

Skullo on
    edited September 2006
    Skullo wrote:

[spoiler:e7212dca6a]
    Issue 2: She starts backing up Supes on his reccomendation, but Batman shoots them down.
    Wtf?
    [/spoiler:e7212dca6a]

[spoiler:e7212dca6a]She's joking in the first issue. Don't they say something about Batman grinning (or not grinning but you know he totally would be if he wasn't an emo kid?)[/spoiler:e7212dca6a]

Garlic Bread on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:9bb4f8c199]not so much that he shoots them down, but more that dick was his first choice and he invited him behind clark and diana's back and he said no.[/spoiler:9bb4f8c199]

Conditional_Axe on
    edited September 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Skullo wrote:

[spoiler:4cc4666ee2]
    Wtf?
    [/spoiler:4cc4666ee2]

[spoiler:4cc4666ee2]She's joking in the first issue. Don't they say something about Batman grinning (or not grinning but you know he totally would be if he wasn't an emo kid?)[/spoiler:4cc4666ee2]

Okay. I thought thats what it is, but wasn't sure.

Skullo on
    edited September 2006
    I like Batman's pitch for Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) to be on the team. "It sends a message..."

Read: You gon' get raped.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    heh.

[spoiler:eece77f09e]Tornado Red/Tornado Blue.[/spoiler:eece77f09e]

They did that just to piss me off, I know it.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I like Batman's pitch for Dr. Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) to be on the team. "It sends a message..."

When I read that, I had to stop and think, "That's not what they mean...is it?"

"It'll scare them."

It's almost funny how messed up that is.

Lux on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lux wrote:

"It'll scare them."

Well, the other way to take it is what they did to Dr. Light after.

Scooter on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just heard there's gonna be a Transformers V. Justice League crossover.

robosagogo on
    edited October 2006
    Lux wrote:

"It'll scare them."

Batman. I think that sums it up.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lux wrote:

"It'll scare them."

Batman. I think that sums it up.
    Just because he's less of a dick, doesn't mean he still isn't a huge dick.

Bloods End on
  • Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    There's a rumor wandering around the comic blogs that the female Dr. Light went after the male Dr. Light during the one year gap, to get back her powers that he took from her, and that she did some pretty serious damage [spoiler:87ab4054ea]read: castrated[/spoiler:87ab4054ea] to him, which is the message Batman is talking about.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    There's a rumor wandering around the comic blogs that the female Dr. Light went after the male Dr. Light during the one year gap, to get back her powers that he took from her, and that she did some pretty serious damage [spoiler:7ff7ab130a]read: castrated[/spoiler:7ff7ab130a] to him, which is the message Batman is talking about.

D:

Bloods End on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    There's a rumor wandering around the comic blogs that the female Dr. Light went after the male Dr. Light during the one year gap, to get back her powers that he took from her, and that she did some pretty serious damage [spoiler:c40d500295]read: castrated[/spoiler:c40d500295] to him, which is the message Batman is talking about.

D:

:shock:

The Muffin Man on
    edited October 2006
    Well, she is a crazy bitch like that.

(I've only read her in CoIE)

Garlic Bread on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    There's a rumor wandering around the comic blogs that the female Dr. Light went after the male Dr. Light during the one year gap, to get back her powers that he took from her, and that she did some pretty serious damage [spoiler:00c2a62364]read: castrated[/spoiler:00c2a62364] to him, which is the message Batman is talking about.

D:

:shock:

We need a female Dr. Light comic now.

Mai-Kero on
    edited October 2006
    I'm still waiting for Ralph to borrow Hawkman's mace and reduce Light to a fine paste with it. Between Johns, Meltzer, and Winick (especially Winick), Dr. Light became such a massive joke that he didn't even come off as threatening, just cartoonishly evil.

Every scene was just, "Haha, I like to rape things and am really fucking powerful now. Watch as I annihilate every past and present Teen Titan even though Wally should be able put my feeble old ass down in about five seconds flat by himself. Also, did I mention I like rape? Yeah, because I do."

The sad thing was, he wasn't even a bad villain before Identity Crisis. Yeah, he was made to look goofy in Teen Titans. Like thirty fucking years ago. I've got an old Hal Jordan Green Lantern issue, probably fifteen years old or so, where Light comes across as a legitimate threat, beating up GL without much effort, using Christmas lights of all things. And if I'm not mistaken Morrisson (or maybe Waid, can't remember) made him pretty dangerous in the JLA Rock of Ages arc.

Now he acts like such a putz I just want him to suffer as much of a horrible, undignified death as possible before having his corpse tossed into a garbage bag.

Munch on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dr. Light became such a massive joke that he didn't even come off as threatening, just cartoonishly evil.

020rw9.jpg
    "I'd like to go to jail now, please."

To be totally fair, he DID get an episode in season 5 where he was not only a legitimate threat, but also completely awesome.

The Muffin Man on
    edited October 2006
    The most recent Dr. Light/Teen Titans arc was awesome. The rape and mindwipe retcon really unleashed someone deliciously insane on the young heroes of the DCU. He was a sick man, lobotomized and made even sicker when it was undone. He's the walkin', talkin' and rapin' reminder of the League's lowest low.

As for the Rock of Ages arc, Dr. Light was only a threat when he had the Philosopher's Stone in hand. I think he was over in a corner crying like a baby in his other appearance. He and Mirror Master were hardly the premier members of Luthor's new Injustice Gang.

Personally, I enjoy sadist Dr. Light who might buttfuck your sidekick versus a boring, run-of-the-mill Green Lantern villain.

Terrorbyte on
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Personally, I enjoy sadist Dr. Light who might buttfuck your sidekick versus a boring, run-of-the-mill Green Lantern villain.

Yeah, probably makes it a lot easier to write your homoerotic slashfics.

Munch on
    edited November 2006
    So is anyone else not to happy with this? I'm finding it pretty boring.

Skullo on
    edited November 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Yeah, probably makes it a lot easier to write your homoerotic slashfics.

And how.

Terrorbyte on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Skullo wrote:

I love the dialoge and characters used. I just think this would be better in TPB form.

Lux on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Skullo wrote:
    It is realy slow and kind of dull.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2006
    Well, I guess Turner and DC Direct had it right all along.

[spoiler:23f4b44c32]Red Arrow[/spoiler:23f4b44c32]

And yeah, I totally called it..

[spoiler:23f4b44c32]Geo Force[/spoiler:23f4b44c32]

Man, I feel so cool now...I think I might call my mother and tell her she was right all along.

Bad Karma on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The handful of action sequences are good - they just need to get rid of everything else. The "Who's In" conversation should have taken one issue, at the most.

Hensler on
    edited December 2006
    So...[spoiler:72bb9ea8ed]Geo-Force[/spoiler:72bb9ea8ed] is in the JLA?

Why the fuck for?

Conditional_Axe on
    edited December 2006
    So...[spoiler:82bdc96caf]Geo-Force[/spoiler:82bdc96caf] is in the JLA?

Why the fuck for?

He's got two inside guys rootin' for him I guess.

Why not?

Bad Karma on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I chalk it up to Meltzer being a shaky comic book writer.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2006
    I'm reserving judgment until I read the thing. Hell, if I can like Red fuck Arrow, I can like him.

Conditional_Axe on