As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW] Theres a party in the Fissure of Woe and your all invited

MasterOfTactMasterOfTact Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
courtesy of Wikipedia

Guild Wars is an episodic series of multiplayer online role-playing games created by ArenaNet, a Seattle game development studio and a subsidiary of the South Korean game publisher NCsoft. Three stand-alone episodes and one expansion pack were released in the series from April 2005 to August 2007. All Guild Wars games run on the Microsoft Windows platform.

guild_wars_image.gif

Guild Wars provides two main modes of gameplay—a cooperative role-playing component and a competitive player vs. player (PvP) component—both of which are hosted on ArenaNet's servers. The games depict the history of the fictional fantasy world of Tyria, each campaign focusing on events in disjoint sections of the world, but roughly parallel in time. A player creates an avatar to play through the cooperative storyline of a campaign, taking on the role of a hero who must save Tyria from episode-specific antagonists. Players can group with other players and non-player characters, known as henchmen or heroes, to perform missions and quests found throughout the game-world. PvP combat is consensual, team based, and limited to areas designed for such combat. Players are allowed to create characters at maximum level and the best equipment specifically for PvP play, which is unusual for MMORPGs. ArenaNet hosts official Guild Wars tournaments where the most successful players and guilds may compete for the chance to play live at gaming conventions and win prizes up to 100,000 USD

Any profession can serve as primary or secondary, which means there are a total of 30 possible core profession combinations, 56 if you own Factions or Nightfall and 90 if you own both Factions and Nightfall. Only primary professions have access to the primary attributes

Core professions for Prophesies:

Gwwarriors2.jpg
-Warrior: The Warrior is the only core melee profession (the Assassin and the Dervish are available in the Factions and Nightfall campaigns, respectively), and has many skills designed to enhance the use of swords, axes, shields, and hammers. Warriors wear the highest armor of any profession (the Paragon has similar protection), allowing them to trade hits with the biggest, meanest foes in the game. They also have the primary attribute Strength, which grants extra armor penetration when using attack skills. Many Warrior skills revolve around combining straight-up physical damage with crippling conditions. They also have access to stances which modify their abilities, and shouts to boost the party's performance and even impair enemies. The patron god of Warriors is Balthazar.

Gwrangers-dv21.jpg
-Ranger: The Ranger is a versatile ranged attacker. While they do not provide as much damage as other professions, they are valued for their versatility. Rangers are renowned especially for their ability to interrupt enemies and the ease at which they spread conditions. They are one of the more survivable classes due to their mid-level armor, arsenal of defensive stances, and self-healing skills. Additionally, a Ranger has the highest armor versus elemental damage of any of the professions. Another feature of the Ranger profession is the ability to tame a pet to aid you in combat. Furthermore, their primary attribute alone can merit using the Ranger as a primary profession, even for builds that do not use many Ranger skills or bow attacks (Touch Ranger). Because of all this, a Ranger can fill in many gaps in a party. The patron goddess of Rangers is Melandru.

Monk_Female_Male.jpg
-Monk: The Monk indisputably possesses the strongest ability for healing other characters. Divine Favor adds a healing buff to all Monk spells, as well as improve the Monk's overall effectiveness. Healing Prayers are generally used for direct healing, as well as indirect healing-over-time. Protection Prayers is the attribute of choice for reducing and even preventing damage. Smiting Prayers allow Monks to deal damage to enemies - especially effective against the undead. The patron goddess of Monks is Dwayna, with the exception of smite Monks who are devoted to Balthazar.

NecrosDuo.jpg
-Necromancer: The Necromancer is a class that focuses on manipulation of performance, health and energy of foes and allies, as well as their unique ability to exploit corpses for various uses, including animation of undead minions and creation of defensive and offensive wells. Many of the powerful Necromancer skills require a health sacrifice, which is uncommon between the other professions and requires special attention to their health, but is sometimes used to the player's advantage. Blood Magic is powerful at manipulating health of both the player and his/her allies and enemies through sacrificing, life stealing, wells and redistribution of health. A Blood Magic Necromancer is also highly competent at keeping up allies' energy supply by use of Blood Ritual, Blood is Power or Well of Power. Curses are considered the most insidious of the Necromancer's attributes, with the ability to punish, weaken, remove enchantments, and otherwise hinder the foes' performance. Much of a Necromancer's Curses arsenal is centered around the use of hexes and conditions, and often requires direct health sacrifice or inflicts degeneration and other conditions on the caster in exchange for a powerful blow to the opponent. A focus on Death Magic will give the player the skills to disease and deal direct damage to foes, as well as the ability to exploit corpses to consume and explode them, summon undead minions and create wells. The Necromancer's primary attribute is Soul Reaping, which provides energy whenever nearby creatures die. Very few skills are available from this attribute, but its inherent effect gives the Necromancer one of the most powerful ways to recover energy when they need it most, in the heat of battle. The patron god of Necromancers is Grenth.

Mesmer-dv21.jpg
-Mesmer: The Mesmer is an expert in indirect damage and subtle magic, focusing on manipulation of the target to sway the events of battle to its favor. Mesmers are considered by some to be a unique profession in Guild Wars. They are a profession with a steep learning curve - to become a talented Mesmer, it is important to know not only your own skills and abilities, but those of every other profession in the game. This is perhaps why Mesmers are generally one of the least used characters in PvE. Thus, it can also be difficult for players who create PvE Mesmers to be accepted into PUGs due to a somewhat common misconception of their PvP-orientation - though GvG teams will nearly always have at least one Mesmer in their ranks. Mesmers are best suited in preventing their opponent from achieving their goals, whether it be to heal, cast spells, or attack. In order to do this they make use of a multitude of spells, hexes, and enchantments. Unlike other professions, such as Elementalists, skills within a Mesmer attribute are not always related to each other by any easily defined barriers. Because skills within an attribute can focus on many and very different goals, you will often see Mesmers utilizing all four attributes at once. The patron goddess of Mesmers is Lyssa.

Elementalist-dv21.jpg
-Elementalist: The Elementalist is the classical "fireball-and-lightning bolt" spellcaster of the game. Their power lies in their ability to do a large amount of damage in a short time with effective energy management skills. Their spells can deal considerable AoE or spike damage, as well as provide supportive wards to protect allies. Elementalists are one of the most sought-after classes in PUGs (behind Monks) due to the their sheer damage output. It should also be noted that many are biased towards Fire Magic to the point of kicking non-"fire nukers" out of their groups. An Elementalist primary may also often be paired with another caster class as secondary (Necromancer, Mesmer, or Monk), simply to gain the benefits of their primary attribute, Energy Storage. The patron deity of each Elementalist varies according to their specialization: Dwayna to Aeromancers, Balthazar to Pyromancers, Melandru to Geomancers, and Grenth to Hydromancers.

Core professions for Factions:

Redfemaleassassin.JPG
-Assassin: The Assassin is a ninja-themed profession introduced in Guild Wars Factions. Complemented by their primary attribute, Assassins are capable of dealing large amounts of damage in quick, short periods of time. As its name suggests, Critical Strikes increases the Assassin's chance to inflict a critical hit. Furthermore, successive points in Dagger Mastery increase their chances to double strike - that is, hitting a target twice in one attack. Despite being lightly armored, Assassins possess several self-enhancing stances and enchantments that may increase attack speed or chances to block. The Assassin's key ability is the Shadow Step. As the name implies, it allows them to quickly move in and out of battle through instantaneously teleporting to a target, friend or foe. Relying on luck and illusion, the patron goddess of Assassins is Lyssa, though dealing in death they also have ties to Grenth.

Ritualist2.jpg
-Ritualist: The Ritualist is a shamanistic profession introduced in Guild Wars Factions. They specialize in the arts of channeling the powers of the dead and the spirit world, though in a more subtle manner than Necromancers, and are capable of effective healing, much like Monks. The Ritualist can be recognized by its typical robes, garnished with bones, teeth, shells, and other objects. Like Monks and Necromancers, they also wear magical tattoos. Furthermore, Ritualists are blindfolded to better communicate with the spirit realm. The patron god of Ritualists is Grenth.

Ritualists provide party support as well as offensive enhancements through:

* Binding Rituals: Create supportive spirits by "binding" them with ethereal chains. These spirits are capable of dealing damage (Pain), healing (Recuperation), or negating damage altogether (Union).
* Item Spells: Conjure ghosts by containing their ashes within an urn. These bundle items allow you heal (Protective Was Kaolai), deal damage (Cruel Was Daoshen), and resurrect allies (Lively Was Naomei).
* Weapon Spells: Improve allies' weapons with magic effects that may heal (Weapon of Warding), increase damage (Brutal Weapon), or provide other benefits (Guided Weapon).

Ritualists shine most in team support, similar to Monks. Ritualists are able to solo quite well, as well as effectively tank - given they run the proper builds. A Ritualist's strength lies in preparing for battle by summoning spirits and manipulating urns before battle even begins. Although, more recently, Ritualists can be found in Heroes' Ascent, dealing massive damage through such spirits and Channeling Magic for powerful spikes.

Core professions for Nightfall:

Paragon_male-Render-cropped.jpg
-Paragon: The Paragon is a ranged profession first introduced in Guild Wars Nightfall. The term Paragon is used to describe a model of excellence, or one who represents the ideal of their kind. They are a supportive class who enhance teammates within earshot through the use of shouts, chants, and echoes to buff party members and allies. The Paragon has an angelic appearance with white armor and under garments. Several chants have an animation displaying golden wings extending from the Paragon's back, enhancing the effect. They wield spears - ranged weapons with the range of a shortbow - as well as shields tied to the Command or Motivation attribute. The patron gods of Paragons are Dwayna and Balthazar. Despite being classified a support character, the Paragon is the only other class other than the Warrior to have a base armor of 80 - though Warriors are still better equipped due to their extra +20 armor against physical attacks. They are also the only other class to naturally equip shields.

Dervish_male-Render-cropped.jpg
-Dervish: The Dervish is a close range fighter wielding a scythe capable of hitting multiple opponents and utilizing enchantments to deal damage, cause conditions, and protect and heal itself. Many of its abilities strike multiple foes, allowing it to be a fierce combatant on the battle field. The Dervish also has the ability to temporarily transform into 'the physical embodiment of a god'. This consists of 5 Elite Form skills, each referring to one of the five Gods of Tyria. These are incredibly useful in combat, but can only be used for short periods at a time. The scythes deal a very impressive 9-41 damage, the highest of any weapon in the game. Dervishes also have skills that allow them to be fair healers of themselves and others. They also have other abilities to add damage or conditions to their opponents, such as crippling them or making them burst into flames. With a strong offense in spells and damage, along with healing spells supplemented with the ability to turn into the avatars of gods and strike multiple opponents, the Dervish is a powerful profession.

So, now that you are in the know how do you get started?

Well, there are demo CDs available to purchase, they are probably $5 or $10. If you want to get started playing after that Prophesies, which you need to start, is around $20 Factions and Nightfall around $30 and Eye of the North about $40.

Want to know more?

Guildwiki: http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
This site has pretty much everything you need to know about Guild Wars so explore away.

Guild Wars Official Web Site: http://www.guildwars.com/
Pretty much self explanatory.

Guild Wars Guru: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/
Filled with good Strats/builds for professions as well as forums and FAQ.

Are there any server or realm type things that I have to worry about?

Nope, Anyone can play with anyone. There are different districts in every town that you can go into to find people.

For all you people who already play

I really would like to play some Fissure of Woe or Under World runs because I am trying to work towards my Obsidian Armor. Also if people would like to do some vanquishing in Hard Mode, clear some dungeons, Cap skills, farm for green weapons, or just go through missions and story line just go ahead and post. Also I am not currently in a guild so if anyone has one that is looking for membership/wants to make one go ahead and post. Otherwise just post some SNs and send me a message if you guys do wana do a Fissure of Woe run. And I'll pay the fee. =)

Player List

MasterOfTact:
Crash Card - 20 Elementalist
Crash Protection - 16 Monk
Crash Q - 10 Warrior

Bendery:
Bendery Lafiel - 20 Necromancer
Bendery Abriel - 20 Monk
Four Story Tantrum - 20 Assassin
Seraphim Repentia - 20 Dervish

Enig:
Zor Kalas - 20 Ranger

Aunsoph
Heaven Lotus - 20 Monk

Ramen Noodle
Save Ginny Weasley - 9 Elementalist
Deathly Deathness - 8 Dervish
Lol Emo Goth - 20 Necromancer
Kill Caustic - 20 Assassin

Varethius
Varethius Lifegift - 20 Mo/E/Me/N
Gabriel Of Istaan - 20 P/W/Mo/Me
Gabriel Deathraiser - 20 N/Mo/Me
Gabriel Bloodrinker - 20 R/Rt/Mo/A
Gabriel Shadowblade - 7 A/Me
Alicia Bloodrinker - 13 W/Me
Dreams Of Fire Rain - 11 Me/Mo
Gabriel Firestarter - 2 E

Frem
James Letourneau - 10 Ranger/Monk

citizen059
Hrythwin Eternus - 20 R/Mo
Rahn Del Sol - 20 Mo/N

BrokenAngel
Avriel Moonbow - 20 Ranger
Midori Ryu - 20 Necromancer
Seraphim Jibrille - 20 Elementalist
Sano Bellum Lupus - 20 Monk
Sh You Dont Know Me - 20 Assassin
Doom Equals Yes - 20 Mesmer
Zoot Of Anthrax - 20 Paragon
Laylia Spiritseeker - 20 Ritualist
Aerinyss Soulreaver - 20 Dervish
Lenora Ravenshorn - 20 Warrior

Guilds
[PDX]
Consortium of Cirithian Rejects

MasterOfTact on

• sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, this is so sad. Nobody who reads these boards plays Guild Wars? Nobody? *chirp chirp*

Well, I for one have never played in the Fissure of Woe and this sounds interesting, but I am on a bit of a GW hiatus at the moment. But keep this open as a revolving option? I'm sure there will be a better time for me to take part in a few months or something.

Sad that there's not an active GW community here, though. I do enjoy reading the gossip.

IGN: Neriah Gerasim, Nanashi Andersson

sidhaethe on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bendery Lafiel - 20 necro

Bendery Abriel - 20 Monk

Four Story Tantrum - 20 sin

Seraphim Repentia - 20 derv

I'm more focused on PvP lately, but if anyone needs help PvE leave me a message here and I'll give you a time when i can get on.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm kinda waiting for GW2, seeing as it sounds like it's going to be just totally awesome... But when I have the $$ to pick up Nightfall and EotN, I definitely will.

Zor Kalas - 20 Ranger

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh hey it's this game.

I was pretty excited when I got my obsidian armor. I gave a lot of ectos to people for helping me get to the armorer.

I cared a lot less for pve after that. Pvp was pretty great though.

ze swift class on
  • MasterOfTactMasterOfTact Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Enig wrote: »
    I'm kinda waiting for GW2, seeing as it sounds like it's going to be just totally awesome... But when I have the $$ to pick up Nightfall and EotN, I definitely will.

Yeah, I am super excited for GW2 and the stuff that has been reviled about the new game play/character creation sounds really promising.

Right now though I am pretty much working on titles and getting materials for my armor. But yeah, I am a total PVP noob so I haven't really done any PVP in GW because the system that they use isn't really noob friendly.

So do you have any extra Ecto that you would like to part ways with then Ze??? *puppy eyes*

MasterOfTact on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I'm just working on titles and armor, too. Trying to build up that Hall of Monuments so I can reap the sweet benefits in GW2! And since I don't PVP there doesn't seem to be much else to do.....

sidhaethe on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm a new Guild Wars player, and my only character so far is a lvl 20 Monk/Mesmer. The template I use the most is a Protection build, although I have no problems shifting to Healing or even mixing it up with a an interrupt or two when needed. :P

Luckily I got invited to a guild filled with several helpful and experienced players, way back in pre-Searing. They were always willing to answer my barrage of questions about game mechanics, templates, items, etc. I'm also in love with the built-in access to the wiki. I just finished the Prophecies campaign and am now working on doing the after-endgame quests, getting the runes I need to finish my 55 build and farming for some much needed gold.

If you want to do Fissure of Woe, I'll be glad to tag along. I intend on venturing into it with my guildies soon enough anyway. My character's name is Heaven Lotus. :)

aunsoph on
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I really should finish my 55 Monk. I've played GW since beta, but I'm poor as hell.. sigh.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, something i thought i should point out

[GW] Theres a party in the Fissure of Woe and your all invited
    a party in the Fissure of Woe and your all
    the Fissure of Woe and your all
    of Woe and your all
    and your all
    your all
    your

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fuck yes.

Save Ginny Weasley - E/Me (9)
    Deathly Deathness - D/? (8)
    Lol Emo Goth - N/R (20)
    Kill Caustic - A/? (20)

Ramen Noodle on
    edited March 2008
    So yeah, I got everything I needed for my 55 build now and I'm finally able to reliably farm for gold. Gates of Kryta, Nebo Terrace just outside of Bergen Hot Springs and the entire Cursed Lands are awesome in Hard Mode. Loads of undead. Hydras in Skyward Reach are also pretty good, although less so.

Also, I underestimated how awesome being a Monk/Elementalist with Glyph of Lesser Energy would be. Divine Spirit is great and all, and with Blessed Aura combined with Kepkhet's Refuge, it lasts 50% longer... but it just takes way too long to recharge.

In other news, I just got Factions! I'm thinking of making either a Necromancer/Ritualist for some tasty Minion Master Bomber build, or an Assassin/Elementalist focusing on slows or knockdowns.

aunsoph on
  • VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Heya, been playing for over 2 years on and off now =p I mainly play monk or a paragon.... Characters:

Varethius Lifegift - 20 Mo/E/Me/N
    Gabriel Of Istaan - 20 P/W/Mo/Me
    Gabriel Deathraiser - 20 N/Mo/Me
    Gabriel Bloodrinker - 20 R/Rt/Mo/A
    Gabriel Shadowblade - 7 A/Me
    Alicia Bloodrinker - 13 W/Me
    Dreams Of Fire Rain - 11 Me/Mo
    Gabriel Firestarter - 2 E

I've got 2 more slots too. One is a lvl 15 Rt/Me whome I can't remember the name of and I have one slot dedicated to a PvP character =) I usually AB and RA for PvP, looking to get into a lil GvG with my guild "The Consortium Of Cirithian Rejects" were currently recruiting too btw =p but im just posting this to make new freinds =p If you need any hints on farming or some builds or anything PvP gimme a whisp and i'll see if I can help =)

Spose my fave character atm is my Paragon, Gabriel Of Istaan, only about 7-8 months old but he's got the Elite Sunspear armor and I can solo the beech and the spider cave in FoW =) Just love the fact that para's can do nearly anything and are really hard to beat down in combat ^^.

Well, see you all in game =)

Btw Aunsoph, if you need a necro to SS we could 55/ss in the Underworld =) Ectoplasm drop there and they sell for about 4K each at the moment =)

Varethius on
  • DeadshotDeadshot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Divine Spirit is great and all, and with Blessed Aura combined with Kepkhet's Refuge, it lasts 50% longer... but it just takes way too long to recharge.

Divine spirit is pretty bad, and blessed aura is terrible.

Deadshot on
    o ok
    edited March 2008
    Deadshot wrote: »
    Divine Spirit is great and all, and with Blessed Aura combined with Kepkhet's Refuge, it lasts 50% longer... but it just takes way too long to recharge.

Divine spirit is pretty bad, and blessed aura is terrible.

What makes you say that? alotta 55's use Blessed and Divine isn't that bad at all, all it has is a long recharge. In fact it's nearly identical to selfless spirit. Helps you maintain alotta energy which can be hard when running a prot build.

In fact, running prot is alot harder than running a normal healing build as you gotta prevent the damage, not heal it.

And extending enchantments in a prot build by 25%+ is a damned good reason to take blessed aura imo.

anyway, that's my opinion =p

Varethius on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hah, we now have threads for GW both here and in G&T. It's the MMO that isn't one!
    Just kidding. It is one.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is... is there any way I might be able to get in on some sort of gameplay-like activity with you guys? I just got Prophecies and EOTN this past Christmas, but haven't had much time to play. Unfortunately, this means I'm not a terribly high level. Right now I'm on the fourth mission in Old Ascalon. I'm up for whatever on weekends. As long as it doesn't require being more than level ten.

My main: James Letourneau - Level 10 - Ranger/Monk

Is there still a PA guild going on? Google seems to reveal that KCHS has dissolved, or absolved... perhaps even resolved. Or something.

Also, to correct the original post, you don't need Prophecies to start. You can start with any of them except for EOTN.

Frem on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2008
    I used to be in KCHS, this game was great back when we first got the guild hall in the snowy mountains.

Unknown User on
    edited March 2008
    Frem, I'll be sure to add you later mate =) I've got my mesmer who can jump back a bit and help you out a bit =) Can't really do that much until you hit level 20. But I don't mind giving you a hand to get your first set of max armor =).

If you've got eye of the north I'd recomend waiting 'til you've compleated prophecies before you tackle eotn. Purely because alot of the story won't make sense to you if you haven't compleated one of the campaigns =pp

Varethius on
    edited March 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Is there still a PA guild going on? Google seems to reveal that KCHS has dissolved, or absolved... perhaps even resolved. Or something.

Do you guys wana make a PA guild? I am totally down if you do.

MasterOfTact on
  • seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My guild [PDX] isn't a Penny Arcade guild, but all 4-5 active members are fans. We're all pre-registered for PAX as well. If anybody wants to join up we'd be happy to have some new blood...

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    *you're

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For a minute there, I was starting to get back into GW. Eye of the North was pretty awesome with the story quests that didn't require you to bring specific heroes along, until I met Cyndr. Fuck that guy. There's nothing more aggravating than spending an hour crawling through a dungeon only to find that you need to reconfigure your whole party to fight him. It doesn't help that heroes & henches are spectacularly bad against him.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    edited March 2008
    Seraphex, whats you SN?

MasterOfTact on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not that I particularly want to lose more time to GW, but...

I've got a level 20 Mesmer(who really only has mesmer skills because that is all I need... but I'm horribly out of practice now so I doubt I could still keep my mad skillz)

If you guys start planning anything, drop me a PM. I never log in anymore since I'm too lazy to actually do stuff, but my SN is Severra Timarre.

Also, I have a L20 Assassin for random hijinks.

Both have completed the three main campaigns, my sin hasn't done Eotn yet, though.

Anyone want to try doing Slaver's Exile?

Rainfall on
    edited March 2008
    So... yesterday I got a purple Crystalline Sword 15-22, requirement 9 in Fissure of Woe. My guildmates tell me that's the rarest skin in Guild Wars or something. If that's the case, it's settled: my next character will be a Warrior.

Now I just need to switch out the modifiers it has for something more useful. I'm guessing 10% chance for double adrenaline, +15% more damage when health is above 50%, and +5 armor would be the optimal combination?

aunsoph on
    edited March 2008
    Omg.... q9 crystaline!? that's gna be about 100K+ whatever in ecto's =p very very nice! ^^ grats to ya =)

As for mods you'll probably want something like 15^50 inscription, either the double adrenaline or maybe something elemental? (doesn't count as physical damage and causes extra damage when you go W/E and take conjure.) For the other mod I'd reccomend a +30HP. I think I've got a +25 or a +29 I can give you for it. But it's not max =((

Grats again on the drop =p

Varethius on
    edited March 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Anyone want to try doing Slaver's Exile?

Slavers could be fun. I personally would love a voltaic spear, but wouldn't we all.
    I've got a guild event this weekend in the Deeps, if anyone wants to come along send me a whisp. But I'd deffinately be up for Slavers sometime soon.

Varethius on
    edited March 2008
    Varethius wrote: »
    As for mods you'll probably want something like 15^50 inscription, either the double adrenaline or maybe something elemental? (doesn't count as physical damage and causes extra damage when you go W/E and take conjure.)

It's inherently Icy; can it be changed to say Earth? Because if I'm going Warrior/Elementalist, I'll probably want to focus on the Earth Magic line. Or maybe Fire. I may also go with the double adrenaline from a Furious sword hilt, but at only a 10% chance, it doesn't sound THAT useful.
    Varethius wrote: »
    For the other mod I'd reccomend a +30HP. I think I've got a +25 or a +29 I can give you for it. (...)

Ah thanks, but I think I have one already. Wouldn't the +5 armor add more survivability in the long run though? I mean, with that and a max shield, the proper insignias and some enchantments from the Elementalist line, I could easily break 160 armor, right?

aunsoph on
    edited March 2008
    It's inherently Icy; can it be changed to say Earth? Because if I'm going Warrior/Elementalist, I'll probably want to focus on the Earth Magic line. Or maybe Fire. I may also go with the double adrenaline from a Furious sword hilt, but at only a 10% chance, it doesn't sound THAT useful.

I would suggest keeping it icy. If you can go W/E and take 12 sword, 9 in either tactics or strength (whichever you prefer) and then take 9 in water. Take armor of mist (increases your armor and movement speed) or go for frigid armor (increased armor and immunity to burning). I wouldn't go earth as most earth skills increase your armor and slow you down. Plus there's no Conjure earth spell so you won't deal any additional damage =/ kinda making it pointless xD

With fire you could take conjure flame and add in a mark of rodgort which will cause burning. Plus the extra damage you deal, could be quite nasty.

Ah thanks, but I think I have one already. Wouldn't the +5 armor add more survivability in the long run though? I mean, with that and a max shield, the proper insignias and some enchantments from the Elementalist line, I could easily break 160 armor, right?

all that +armor is kinda pointless if your being hit by an enemy ellementalist or against a vampiric necromancer. Certain things have a nasty habbit of ignoring your nice beefy warrior armor. It's why I always go for +hp as opposed to +armor =p

Thats the entire point of the W/E, to inflict elemental damage and ignore the enemy's armor =p

hope this helps =)

Varethius on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just an FYI, Target is selling Eye of the North for $9.99 right now.

I picked up a copy on my lunch break today, it was labelled 39.99 on the shelf but when I ran it under the nearby scanning station, it lists for 9.99.

citizen059 on
    edited March 2008
    prolly labeled incorrectly, it is quite cheap seeing as though its an expansion and not an actual game like it's predecessor's =)

Thanks for the info anyway =)

Varethius on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't claim full credit for the find...it was posted on the hot deals forum @ Anandtech, so I went to check it out and sure enough...

I haven't played GW in a long time, as I only own Prophecies. But I think I'll brush the dust off my L20's tonight. ;-)

citizen059 on
    edited March 2008
    $10?! Oh man, I am going to Target.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited March 2008
    55 Monk, complete!

4.5 plat per hour outside Gates of Kryta killing Mergoyles (not including tomes). I don't know.. on the one hand it's a lot more than I've ever made that quickly, but I'm not sure if it feels like I'm getting enough. I probably need to find a more rewarding (and challenging, I'm sure) location. It would probably help if I didn't just vendor stuff though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited March 2008
    Grats on the 55... If your after something a little more challangeing I'd recomend doing the gates of Kryta mission on hard mode. All you need to do is enchant yourself up, then run out the gates, take the first left and you'll see a house, go behinsd this house and down a hill and there is a MASSIVE mob there, you won't see them. They're mainly grasping that spawn out the ground.

Good luck with those guys =pp

Also, a bit of news. My guild leader has resigned the position as she won't be on as much due to real life comitments etc. So a meeting was held last night to discuss the matter, and. To cut a long story short. I was voted as the new guild leader.

So, if we wanna make a PA guild. Then the Consortium of Cirithian Rejects will be able to assist =)

Just send me a whisp guys =)

Varethius on
    edited March 2008
    So I played around with the expansion some last night as my ranger, and so far it's been fun.
    Holy shit Gwen is a fucking psycho. I guess seeing everyone she knew and loved die a horrible death had somewhat of an effect on her.

So on this 55 monk thing you guys are talking about...how's that work, exactly? I understand the use of runes to lower health, but what sort of skills are we talking?

My last monk farming build used primarily smite spells to do PBAoE damage, but they modified the AI to disperse in the event of AoE so that lost some of its bite.

Right now I have Hrythwin Eternus (20 R/Mo) and Rahn Del Sol (20 Mo/N) as my high levellers. I also have a 15 W/Mo who's been languishing for some time.

I only own Prophecies, never picked up Factions or Nightfall.

citizen059 on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    So on this 55 monk thing you guys are talking about...how's that work, exactly? I understand the use of runes to lower health, but what sort of skills are we talking?

55 Monk article at the official Wiki. Very nice explanation.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited March 2008
    Thanks.

Oh, and since I can't remember...is it possible to use an elite that's tied to your secondary profession? Like, my R/Mo could use an elite Monk skill?

Edit: Looks like the answer is yes.

Now to come up with a good concept for a new character. ;-)

citizen059 on
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I am looking to do some FoW runs today. I am online right now so hit me up if you would like to come. I will also be coming back and checking this thread once in a while so also you can post to get in touch.

MasterOfTact on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    w00t! Just made it out of the horrible, horrible Old Ascalon area and into Shiverpeak Heights. Suddenly it's like a whole new game. I think I'm going to need to start playing with actual people; all my hechmen run wild and I end up dead.
    ...Oooh, look! For 300 gold, I can get armor like four times better than my old stuff.

I might be up for joining a PA guild. Do we have enough people? I mean, there's eight of us listed in the OP, and that's not even enough for a full group by the end of the game.

Edit: Also, I note that I can buy a Monk rez skill which can be used multiple times and could replace the signet on my skillbar. But it costs a skillpoint. Is that one skillpoint that can never be put toward an attribute and is lost forever? Would I be forever slightly less powerful than all the cool people by picking it up?

Frem on