As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recipes, my droogs!

B.C.B.C. is a bee!remember me?Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Social Entropy++
Being the socially capable forum that I believe us to be (no matter how much we say otherwise), I bet we've all go a recipe or two under our belts that we wouldn't mind showing off.

Whether it be steak+salt+pepper, your special midnight snack, or some drink you saw some dude make at a bar onetime, post em here for us to try.

I've got one I'll toss out for starters. I'm not too good with ratios and proper amounts so I'll just give basic ideas.

Panko Encrusted Salmon

Panko (or plain potato chips)
Dijon mustard
Olive Oil
A bit of garlic
Herbs (take your pick)
A couple fillets o' fish (I generally use Salmon, but it gets done with white fish a lot)

Combine the panko, mustard, olive oil, garlic, and herbs. If using chips make sure to crush them up finely.
Give the fish a decent crusting, and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Broil it for a bit afterwards to brown the top and finish things off.

I like serving the fish with a side of pasta and broccolini, preferably with a lemon basil sauce.

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
B.C. on

• PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Steak (or chops) Medici

You will need:
    2-4 boneless steaks (I find Delmonico or NY Strip works best)
    4 tbsp butter. Not margarine. Not I Can't Believe It's Total Shit, but butter.
    1 package mushrooms, sliced. Type of mushroom is your choice, although I prefer either white or portabella for this.
    1/4 cup red port wine
    kosher salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    garlic powder (NOT garlic salt. You don't need all that extra salt for Christ's sake people. Do your heart a fucking favor)

First, season the steaks. A light sprinkle of kosher salt on both sides to start with in order to break down the proteins so that you get a good sear on the meat. On one side, put some black pepper (to taste, of course) and a light dusting of garlic powder. Let sit for about 10 minutes.

In a large frying pan or skillet, melt 2tbsp of the butter over medium high heat, reserving the rest for later. Once the butter has melted, place the steaks in the skillet, seasoned side up. Bring up the heat a bit so that you get more of a sear than a fry, and let sear for about 5 minutes. Then turn the steaks over and let sear for another 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how rare you want it. Actually, if you want it rare, just sear for 2 to 3 minutes on either side. I find that medium or medium rare works best for this recipe, though.

Once the steaks are seared, remove from the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 2tbsp of butter. Stir to pick up some of the sear on the pan (basically, you're going to deglaze the pan with the butter). Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms and sautee them over medium heat until they are almost done. When the mushrooms have reduced in size, but are not quite done, add the port wine. Cook over medium heat until the sauce reduces, then serve with the wine sauce and mushrooms over the steaks.

I usually like to serve this with a green salad and dill roasted potatoes.

You can also do this with thick-cut, boneless pork chops. It works just about as well. I've also replaced the port wine with cream sherry, and it came out okay. Not perfect, but edible.

Pkmoutl on
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have not had steak in a long time pk.
    I'll have to try that out over spring break.

The Omar (courtesy of the Sausage Deli here in Tucson)

Thin cut turkey
    Thin cut salami (as fresh as you can possibly get it)
    Swiss cheese
    Diced Peppercini
    Chopped green peppers
    Chopped onions
    Mustard
    Italian dressing.

Throw it all onto a sturdy sub roll, toss it under a broiler to melt the cheese and mix the flavors, and en-fucking-joy my good sirs and madams. This is quite possibly the sub to end all subs it is so damn good.

B.C. on
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay, try this one.

You will need:
    1 Roasting chicken
    4-6 potatoes, cubed. You can peel them if you want, but I generally don't.
    Kosher salt
    Black pepper (freshly ground, natch)
    Garlic powder
    Rosemary
    Olive oil

First, prep the chicken. Take out the gut bag and all that, make sure it's properly plucked and the whole shebang. Cut off the tail, unhitch the legs so you can get to the cavity, and pin the wings behind the back Julia Child-style. This will keep them from burning.

Now separate the skin on the breast, but do not remove it. Just pull it back to the shoulders. Season with a pinch of kosher salt, black pepper, garlic and rosemary. Pull the skin back over the breast and season the cavity accordingly. If you want to re-hitch the legs, you can do that, but I usually don't. Take your knife and punch a few holes in the back between the ribs so that the liquid from the cavity can drain out, or you're going to end up with a messy bird.

Let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Yes, you read that correctly.

Now prep the potatoes. In a large bowl, season the potatoes with the salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Drizzle a little olive oil over the potatoes and give them a good stir. Set aside.

Take a deep roasting pan or baking pan and place a nice, heavy rack over the top. Put the bird on top of the rack and put in the oven. Let it cook for about 10 minutes.

Once the 10 minutes is up, slide the rack aside and put the potatoes in the bottom of the pan underneath. Spread out evenly with a wooden spoon or other utensil, then return the entire thing, bird and all, to the oven and let bake for about 45 minutes.

At the 45 minute mark, check the temperature on the chicken. If it's not over 170 degrees F, put it back in for only 5 minutes at the most. Once it hits about 170 to 175, remove the chicken from the oven and let it finish cooking. If the potatoes are brown in the bottom of the pan, you can remove the whole thing. If not, reduce the heat to 250 and let the potatoes cook for about 10 minutes.

Carve the chicken and serve with the potatoes. They'll be sort of roasted/fried and absolutely delicious.

You can also do this with a turkey if you have a big enough roasting pan and/or rack. Make sure the rack is a nice heavy rack, or it will bend and possibly break during the cooking process.

I don't have a name for this other than "The most wonderful chicken dinner you can make in about an hour." Goes well with steamed broccoli or steamed asparagus.

Pkmoutl on
  • LahnLahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    dotting as i may be able to find something to contribute here.
    or i'll just write out how i normally do lobsta

also, fuck the ny strip steak.
    kc strip will enslave that shit and make it build idols to kcstrip. because that's all this godforsaken wasteland is good for.
    but bed for now.

Lahn on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Microwave Pie

Need:
    1 Microwave
    1 Frozen pie
    1 Bowl
    1 Absorbant towel

What to do:
    The biggest problem with this is somehow making the inside frozen and the outside lava hot occurs far too often

So; Set the temp to 80%
    Set the time for 4 minutes 20 seconds
    Wrap the pie in an absorbant towel, then place in a bowl
    Place in the microwave then hit start

To get it out take the towel from the pie by pinching and tugging it off, it should be moist, shake it in the air for a few seconds so it becomes nice and cool, then fold till it is sufficiently thick to be able to pick up the bowl by pinching with it without burning through the towel to your hands.

Add condiments as neccesary

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2008
    Man...just...
    Fucking eh?

B.C. on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You have no idea how many people have no fucking idea how to microwave frozen food

I got frozen pies down to a science

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2008
    I'd really rather just bake the goddamn pie.

B.C. on
    edited March 2008
    Not everyone is allowed near an oven

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2008
    If you are not allowed near an oven then you shouldn't be allowed the privilege of pie.

B.C. on
    edited March 2008
    Not my fault my mum is a neurotic headcase

The Black Hunter on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Peanut Butter and Jelly

What you need-

Two pieces of wheat bread, white bread is for fatties.

Peanut Butter - preferably the all natural type.

Jelly - any flavor will do

Take a knife and dip it in the peanut butter and grab a nice chunk, spread it on one slice of the bread. Repeat for the other slice.

Take the knife and dip it in the jelly, and do the same as you did with the peanut butter but on only one slice of bread, and on the same side as the peanut butter.

Take both pieces of bread and put them together, with the contents facing each other.

Eat.

omega71 on
  • theDangertheDanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not my fault my mum is a neurotic headcase

I had this restriction. I feel for you.
    But, if you're feeling rebellious, you could always warm a frozen dinner in it. They turn out better that way.

theDanger on
    edited March 2008
    This thread needs less other people and more pkmoutl.
    If it does not involve an oven and/or stove, those are not recipes, they are directions.

theDanger on
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey that was PB&J recipe was handed down from three generations of Jewish grandmothers. I am quite proud of that

(I burn water, and cant cook for shit)

omega71 on
    edited March 2008
    I was really more just saying how delicious pk's recipes are, but fair enough.

theDanger on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here's one I do quite often. Can't remember the name though. You'll need:
    450g of sliced marinated chicken.... slices.
    A can of sliced pineapple.
    A spoon of flour (Maybe two)
    2-4 dl water
    A spoon of oil
    A small cube that I do not know the english translation of. Chicken something, probably.
    seasonings: Chili, black pepper, pulverised paprika.
    And a quite high pan.

Start by adding the oil into a pan, heating it up, and frying the chicken slices until they are ready (No fluids except the oil should be there according to my teacher.) At this point you add seasonings (Not too much, but add according to your tastes.) Then you add the flour, mix it up and add water. Add the small cube I mentioned, and let the thing not quite boil for twenty minutes. (When I say not quite boil, I mean that only a few bubbles should ever be visible.) You do ofcourse need to ocasionally stir the thing.
    When it has not quite boild for twenty minutes, you add the can of sliced pineapple, stir it, and serve with rise.

P.S My english sucks, so most likely I've got some measurements wrong. I'm particurarly a bit suspicious about the spoon measurement, but you can always add more flour if you don't think there's enough.

Burning Organ on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys I made that fish thing with some cheap salmon I stole from a friend the other night under B.C.'s suggestion, and it was delicious as fuck.

It was like fish were having the most delicious sex in my mouth.

Einhander on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    It was like fish were having the most delicious sex in my mouth.

Wouldn't that description be saved for... I don't know, salmon roe or caviar?

DarkPrimus on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Extra Famous Brandy Fudge Pudding Molten Spoon Cake (TM)

You will need:

1 cup flour.

1 cup sugar, deftly divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup portions.

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided with equal deftness into 1/4 cup portions.

2 teaspoons baking powder.

1/2 teaspoon baking soda.

1/4 teaspoon salt.

Pinch of ground cinnamon. Measure with care to avoid unmitigated disaster.

1/2 cup milk.

1/4 cup canola oil.

1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

1/2 cup brown sugar.

3/4 cup boiling water.

1/4 cup brandy. Christian Bros, if you really want to stay true to the spirit of the thing. Note: If you are under the legal drinking age in your area, you may need to find an adult or an easily-seduced liquor store clerk for this step.

1 1/4 hogshead raw determination

Part one:

Grease a 9"x9" square baking pan with your favorite cooking spray. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. This will come into play later.

Part two:

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup of the sugar, 1/4 cup of the cocoa, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add the milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Stir until it becomes a smooth, thick batter. A taste at this point would not go amiss, but be careful. It is rather important to the rest of the recipe that you do not eat all your batter with a spoon.

Part three:

Spread the mixture evenly into the pre-greased baking pan. Sprinkle the top with the brown sugar and the remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/4 cup sugar. At this point, the mixture can be covered and refrigerated for up to twenty four hours before bad, terrible things start to happen. It's useless if it's not served hot and bubbly, so if you're waiting for your idiot friends to show up, this would be the time for a thoughtful pause and a small glass of brandy. Stupid friends, never being on time for the cake party. When you're ready to bake the thing, pour the boiling water and the brandy over the top. Mmm, smell that.

Part four:

Bake (ah, the shenanigans with the oven back in part one are finally beginning to make sense, eh?) for around thirty minutes. The cake should be set around the sides, and the middle should be loose and bubbly. Like, the middle should have a crust on it, but if you tap it with a spoon you should definitely get the impression that there's some liquidy things going on underneath. Cool in the pan on a rack for at least 10 minutes to avoid yet more unmitigated disaster. To serve, use a big spoon to scoop out portions of pudding and cake. If you can't finish it, it actually microwaves up pretty well in a ridiculously short amount of time. Like, 10-20 seconds. Magic, see.

Part five:

Collect kudos and/or sexual favors. Polish off brandy. Take all the credit for yourself, you shameless person. Repeat as needed.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ilm such a good cook dudes you should check out my bolognaise

it's awesome

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LIGHT THE RIOTCOW SIGNAL

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Caramelized Chicken with Green Olives and Prunes

8 legs free-range chicken (thigh + drumstick, about 3kg or 6 1/2 pounds total), cut in two at the joint (I used 6 or 8 legs and 6 thighs with no skin or bones)
    130g (3/4 cup) green olives (I used the green garlic olives from the self-serve olive bar)
    300g (10 oz) pitted prunes, roughly chopped (I cut each prune into 4 pieces – like 1 cup)
    3 cloves garlic, crushed (I used a rounded teaspoon organic garlic paste)
    4 bay leaves (don’t forget to remove before serving)
    1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup sherry or white wine vinegar
    Fine sea salt (any kind – not a lot because the olives are salty)
    Freshly ground pepper
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 cup dry white wine (non-alcoholic is sold at grocery stores)
    1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted (or sprinkle over chicken for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking)

Start the recipe the night before. In a large salad bowl, combine the chicken, olives, prunes, garlic, and bay leaves. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and vinegar. Season generously with salt and pepper.
    Pour liquid over the chicken, and combine until the marinade coats the chicken thoroughly; it works better if you use your hands. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remember: wash hands immediately after touching raw chicken and don’t touch other surfaces that will touch food with “chicken hands”.

Remove from the refrigerator an hour before baking. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the chicken in a baking dish large enough to accommodate it in a single layer (I had to use two).
    Pour the remaining marinade (and any remaining solids) over the chicken, sprinkle with the brown sugar, and add the white wine. Place in the oven and bake for 1 and 1/2 hour, basting and flipping the thighs every 20 minutes or so, until the juices run clear, the meat is caramelized, and your family says that really, that chicken smell is torture.

Add the almonds for the last 10 -15 minutes of cooking.

Eat with homemade or rustic bread to sop up the sauce (or nectar)

FortyTwo on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Pkmoutl wrote: »
    Steak (or chops) Medici

You will need:
    2-4 boneless steaks (I find Delmonico or NY Strip works best)
    4 tbsp butter. Not margarine. Not I Can't Believe It's Total Shit, but butter.
    1 package mushrooms, sliced. Type of mushroom is your choice, although I prefer either white or portabella for this.
    1/4 cup red port wine
    kosher salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    garlic powder (NOT garlic salt. You don't need all that extra salt for Christ's sake people. Do your heart a fucking favor)

First, season the steaks. A light sprinkle of kosher salt on both sides to start with in order to break down the proteins so that you get a good sear on the meat. On one side, put some black pepper (to taste, of course) and a light dusting of garlic powder. Let sit for about 10 minutes.

In a large frying pan or skillet, melt 2tbsp of the butter over medium high heat, reserving the rest for later. Once the butter has melted, place the steaks in the skillet, seasoned side up. Bring up the heat a bit so that you get more of a sear than a fry, and let sear for about 5 minutes. Then turn the steaks over and let sear for another 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how rare you want it. Actually, if you want it rare, just sear for 2 to 3 minutes on either side. I find that medium or medium rare works best for this recipe, though.

Once the steaks are seared, remove from the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 2tbsp of butter. Stir to pick up some of the sear on the pan (basically, you're going to deglaze the pan with the butter). Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms and sautee them over medium heat until they are almost done. When the mushrooms have reduced in size, but are not quite done, add the port wine. Cook over medium heat until the sauce reduces, then serve with the wine sauce and mushrooms over the steaks.

I usually like to serve this with a green salad and dill roasted potatoes.

You can also do this with thick-cut, boneless pork chops. It works just about as well. I've also replaced the port wine with cream sherry, and it came out okay. Not perfect, but edible.
    One change I'd recommend to this
    If you're actually intending to denature the protein with the kosher salt, you should completely separate it from the seasoning step
    use more kosher salt so that both sides are liberally coated with either kosher or coarse sea salt (as long as it's a coarse grain and not regular table salt) and I do mean coat liberally because you're not going to leave the salt on there so it should be completely coated on both sides
    depending on the thickness of the steaks, let the salt sit for about 30-60 min so that it draws water out of the tissue and onto the surface of the steak (this is how it denatures the protein, by drawing water out which causes the proteins to relax)
    after this step is done, wipe off the salt and moisture
    really, it's not there for seasoning it's there just to draw water out of the tissue
    after the salt has been wiped off and the steaks patted dry, continue with seasoning as above (minus the salt, you won't need it) and follow the remaining steps in the recipe

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    theDanger wrote: »
    If it does not involve an oven and/or stove, those are not recipes, they are directions.
    recipes are directions silly, your assertion doesn't make any sense
    and good cooking doesn't require an oven or stove, not that I have anything against either but that's a silly restriction you're insisting on

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ratatouille + fried polenta with roasted garlic
    This recipe looks pretty complicated, but it's fairly easy, and when it's done, it's sure to impress.

To roast the garlic:

Take a head of garlic, and cut off the pointed end, low enough that it cuts into some of the cloves. Place it on a piece of foil, cut end up, and pour some olive oil on it. Wrap it in the foil, and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, until it's soft. At this point, it will pop right out of its skin when you squeeze the cloves.

For the polenta, you'll need:

2 cups + 4 cups water
    2 cups cornmeal
    1 tsp. salt
    3 tbsp. butter
    1/4-1/3 of a red onion, finely chopped
    Some olive oil
    some balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce
    The roasted garlic

Pour the cornmeal into a bowl with 2 cups of water, and stir until all of the lumps are gone.

In a large pot, bring the 4 cups of water and the salt to a boil. Slowly stir in the water/cornmeal mixture. Let the cornmeal and water simmer gently, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. After 20 to 30 minutes, it should form a very thick mash. At this point, stir in the butter and as much roasted garlic as you want, keep it on very low heat during the next step.

In a small frying pan, heat some olive oil, and add the chopped onion. Sautee until the onion is browned and soft. Add a few splashes of vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, and let it cook for another minute or two, until the liquid is reduced/absorbed. When the onions are done, mix them into the polenta.

Spoon the polenta into a greased casserole dish and spread it evenly so it's about 3/4" thick. Put it in the refrigerator and let it cool. You can keep it there for as long as you want (within reason, it's obviously perishable) but it only takes about 10-15 minutes to set, which is what you're looking for.

For the ratatouille, you need:

Olive oil
    A few cloves of garlic, minced
    Black pepper
    Salt
    Fresh basil
    Red wine
    1 eggplant, peeled and cut into small, bite-sized pieces
    1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2" pieces
    2 bell peppers (I like to use 1 red and 1 green), seeds removed, cut into similarly sized pieces
    1/2 of a white onion, cut into similarly sized pieces
    around 2 cups of mushrooms, cut into quarters
    6 tomatoes

In a bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Drizzle them with olive oil, and throw in the minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Toss until evenly coated. Spread the vegetables out onto a large, rimmed baking sheet, and bake at 450, turning every 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and starting to brown, around 40 minutes.

While the vegetables are roasting, dice 3 of the tomatoes, and cut the other 3 into thin slices. Put the diced tomatoes into a bowl, and add a few tablespoons of red wine, and let them sit for a while, allowing some of the juices to separate.

Take this time to finely chop 4 or 5 basil leaves.

When the vegetables are done, take them out of the oven, and transfer them to an 11" x 13" casserole dish. With a slotted spoon, add the minced tomatoes, also, add the basil, and toss all of that together. Add a couple tablespoons of the red wine/tomato juice mixture that should have formed in the bottom of the bowl, and discard the rest (you don't want too much liquid).

Finally, take your sliced tomatoes, and layer them across the top of the ratatouille. Cover the whole thing with foil, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Frying the polenta:

Take the polenta out of the fridge. At this point, it should have cooled and set, forming the shape of its container. Turn the dish over onto a large cutting board, and it should pop right out.

Cut it into squares (or circles, or triangles, or penis shapes) the size of your desired portions. Fry it in a skillet in some olive oil until both sides are crispy and brown.

Put the fried squares of polenta on a plate, and top them with some grated cheese (I like a combination of mozzarella, Romano, and Parmesan). Take the ratatouille out of the oven, and spoon a generous portion on top of the polenta, and enjoy.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hell yeah recipes. i'm cooking a pot of my git-in-mah-belly black bean chili today for the chili cook-off at church. i've done pretty well at a couple of cook-offs for work, secon place one year and peoples choice the next. wish me luck!

i'll give you the gist:
    1lb hamburger, fresh ground
    1lb hot sausage (e.g. jimmy dean)
    1 pack (5 links) andoullie sausage
    5-6 15oz cans black beans
    8-9 tomatos, diced
    1 ea green and red peppers chopped
    1 large white onion chopped
    1 cup chopped jalapenos
    1/4 cup chopped habaneros (optional lol)
    1/2 cup chopped serrano chilis
    ~1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
    3 cloves garlic, pressed
    1-2 6oz cans tomato paste
    aaaaaand salt, ground black pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, oregano, couple of bay leaves, etc...

i'm lazy sooo....

brown the ground meat and sausage together, cook the links in a pan or on the grill. (a g. foreman works pretty well for this). drain if you must.

i have an electric breakfast skillet i use to sautee the bell peppers and onion in olive oil. throw the hot peppers in there too, although i usually roast em with a sprinkle of olive oil.

drain the beans, keep two cans on the side and mash them with a spoon or soft spat. dice the tomatoes, be sure they drain well.

throw it all together in the pot, it'll fill a 5qt crock to the top. you can pretty much stew it as long as you want up to 8 hours on low, 4 hours on high. shredded cheese and chopped onions for toppings.

gettin in the shower.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
    edited March 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    theDanger wrote: »
    recipes are directions silly, your assertion doesn't make any sense
    and good cooking doesn't require an oven or stove, not that I have anything against either but that's a silly restriction you're insisting on

well, i suppose you're right. everyone back to what you were doing.
    no algorithms though. I draw the line there.

theDanger on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Popcorn

Get a smallish lidded saucepan. Put a few kernels of popping corn in the bottom, pour olive oil into the pan until it just completely covers the kernels. Salt the oil with fine salt. Set over medium-low heat. When the kernels in the pan pop, dump in ~1/4 cup of popping corn. Swirl the pan around with the lid on every 30 seconds or so until the popping stops. If the popcorn lifts the lid off of the pan, GOOD! But turn the heat off so nothing catches on fire.

Dump in a bowl. Devour. Beats the pants off of microwave or airpop bullshit.

KalTorak on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I suppose I could grab my little black recipe book and teach you scrubs a thing or two.

Javen on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do I have to come in here and drop some serious science?

Everytime I post in a recipe thread people all start climbing over each other to suck my cock.

I'm at work now, but I'm leaving, finally, after a 13 hour day.... on a saturday. Fuck you Job.

I'll post when I get home.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Extra-Lazy Ramen

Take ramen out of packet

Let water run out of faucet until it is really hot

Hold ramen under this for like 10 seconds

Open the flavoring packet and sprinkle it on top, make sure there's no clumps

Run under the faucet for like 10 more seconds

Eat like candy bar

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Extra-Lazy Ramen

Take ramen out of packet

Let water run out of faucet until it is really hot

Hold ramen under this for like 10 seconds

Open the flavoring packet and sprinkle it on top, make sure there's no clumps

Run under the faucet for like 10 more seconds

Eat like candy bar

D:

satansfingers on
    edited March 2008
    Easy Honest-to-God Gyros

2lbs ground lamb OR 1lbs lamb and 1lbs pork
    1 large onion
    8 cloves garlic
    1 tbls ground rosemary
    1 tbls marjoram
    1 tbls black pepper
    2 tbls kosher salt

Now, in a blender or better, food processor, combine all your spice and garlic and pulse 4 times, quarter your onon and add and blend until it is a smooth mixture. lay out a triple thick layer of paper towl or a very clean dishtowel and dump this into the center. Gather up the edges and apply a little squeeze to force out as much liquid as possible. Get a large bowl and add your meat and the drained mixture. Using your hands combien everything and form into a loaf. Press this into a loaf pan, makng sure to press it all the way down.

You remembered to lightly coat the pan in oil first right? good.

You also remembered to get a regular brick that fits inside your loaf pan and wrap that in 3 layers of aluminum foil, shiny side in right? good.

You also have your oven, witht eh brick inside, preheated to 375 correct?

you're on top of things.

Now, add your meatloaf and place the brick on top for 30-40 minutes. Or until it's about 160 degrees in the center.

You have a meat thermometer to avoid over-cooking right?

atta boy.

Once you're at temp, remove from the hot box and kill the heat. Take your pieces of pita bread and wrap them up in a layer of foil and toss them in the oven to warm up.

Remove your brick for now and pour off all the grease and oil from the pan. Replace the brick and let this rest for 10 mins.

Now is when you dish up al those tomatos and onions you were chopping and your tzatziki sauce.

You have those right? The large sweet onion we frenched and the 2 medium tomatoes we diced? and the 2 cups of sauce we made?

no?

You dissapoint me.

Ok, chop up the veggies for now and lets talk tzatziki. If you live in a big city, you can probably find greek yogurt. If so, then we need 1 1/2 cups.

If not, then we need 2 cups of regular plain yogurt and a clean dishtowel. dump the yogurt right int he center, draw up the edges and let this drain hanging over a bowel for an hour or so.

Take your greek yogurt and add

1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped fine
    6 cloves garlic diced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tblsp olive oil
    splash of vinegar, doesn't have to be fancy, but if you have it, use it

combine all that and boom. tzatziki.

Now take your meat and slice it thin, lay this out on your pita, top with the tomatos and onions and sauce, and boom. Authentic Gyros. No fancy shit needed, and honestly, not a whole lot of effort.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Garlic spicy BBQ beef

boneless beef roast
    worcestershire sauce
    cayenne pepper
    garlic cloves
    BBQ

I didn't really measure since this was a throw together.

Slice garlic cloves and put in bottom of the crock pot, I used 7 fresh cloves as Karima LOVES garlic, use them to taste.

Put some worcestershire on the garlic.

Put the beef roast on the garlic and worcestershire, then cover the roast in worcestershire sauce. Then cover in Cayenne. Carefully pour water down the sides to fill the pot up TO the top of the roast, but not covering it.

Cook on low for 3 hours. After 3 hours take out roast, cut into paper thin strips and return to juice in pot. Cook on low for another 3 or 4 hours.

Remove roast and shred finely. Strain juice through collander to make sure you have all the beef and garlic. Put beef and garlic back in pot and add BBQ to desired messiness. Cook on low for another half hour.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited March 2008
    Super Easy Dirty Rice

1 pound of ground beef/pork/chicken/lamb/child/ex-lover
    2 large onions diced
    1 bell pepper diced
    2 stalks of celery diced
    4-5 cups of cooked rice I use brown, but instant will also work
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    plenty of salt and pepper

Ok, super simple, toss the meat and veggies in and over med-low heat start to brown and soften everything. After about 7-10 mins, turn up the heat to med-high and add the spice. String constantly for about 3-5 mins everything should be cooked through, so add the rice and keep stiring. Should only take a min or two to heat the rice through, kill the heat and turn out on a big plate or bowl and pass out spoons.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    And the ultimate killer cholesterol packed no effort dinner

1 pound bacon, chopped
    1 bag tater tots, cheaper the better
    1 carton Chicken stock
    1 small bottle of milk
    1 can whole kernel corn
    shredded cheese to taste
    salt and pepper

In a large pot add the bacon and corn and render it down. How far is a personal choice, once it hits 150 degrees your safe, and that is well before it turns to cinders, I like soft bacon, you may not, so thats up to you, what we're after here is the fat. Once the bacon is cooked, add the entire bag of tots, and start pouring the stock in, you want to use about 2/3rds at least depending on your pot. What we're looking for here is about 4 parts stock to one part milk. Once the stock is in, add the milk. If it worked out right, the tots should be almost covered in liquid but not quite.

There is no hard and fast measurements here, as this is a fairly open mixture here. In the end, 4 parts stock, 1 part milk, tots not covered, go for that, fairly easy.

Now stir and lid it up, drop the heat to med, and go do somethingfor 20 mins. Come back, stir and the tots should have totally broken down and you have a kind of awesome mush. Like a chunky mashed potato. Add your cheese here and salt and pepper. Kill the heat and let the cheese melt in.

voila`

Unless you're a fatty or serving like 6 people, this should last you a couple days. It feeds me and Summer for 2 days at least.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mexican Chicken

Need:

BL/SL Chicken Breast x 4-6
    Chopped Onion x 1/2
    Garlic 1/2-1 tbsp
    Chopped Bell Peppers x 2-3
    Sour Cream about a cup I think
    Some Salsa
    Some Cilantro To taste

1. Put the onions and garlic in a pan and heat them until the onions are clear-ish.

2. Add the chicken, cook until the outside is white (the inside should still be a bit raw.)

3. At this point I usually drain the juices, they make the final dish a bit watery if left in.

4. Add the bell peppers, cook until the chicken is fully cooked, the bell peppers should be a bit crunchy still.

5. Add the sour cream and salsa, mix until it's pretty hot again.

You can serve this with tomatoe rice, which I make by substituting some of the water in a regular rice recipe with tomatoe sauce. Sprinkle some cilantro on top because cilantro is damn delicious.

Marshmallow on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That sounds pretty tasty Stale.

And seems like something I can do pretty easily. (I even have a meat thermometer handy)

I'm gonna copy-paste it and save it for later.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Haupia - a Hawaiian coconut pudding. It's very firm, it sets somewhere between pudding and jello.

2 cups coconut milk
    1 cup whole milk
    6 tablespoons sugar
    5 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 tsp vanilla (if desired)

Preparation:
    Pour one cup of coconut milk into a saucepan. Combine sugar and cornstarch stirring into coconut milk. (Add vanilla is desired) Heat over medium stirring consistently until thickened.

Add remainder of coconut milk and whole milk and continue to heat until thickened. Pour into 8 inch square pan and chill until firm.

*pro tip
    I pour the coconut milk into a measuring cup or bowl and add the cornstarch there. That way I can blend it with a hand mixer and avoid lumps in the finished product.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391