As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMOs...for Mac?

lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
A little background: the crew I usually run stuff in WoW is growing bored of the game. Maybe it's the lack of new challenges, maybe it's because we're already leveling our 3rd set of alts. Anyway, one idea that popped up was maybe to finally switch games. Problem: one has a Mac and only games on this Mac.

So I tried searching for some info about Mac MMOs using the search funtion and didn't found anything relevant. Also, googling for MMOs for Macs results in posts that are 2 years old.

So, besides WoW, are there any good MMOs available for Macs? Or he should bite the bullet and start dual booting?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
lionheart_m on

• ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EVE now has a Mac client. So far though, I really only use it for a quick boot in to change skill training, mostly I use my XP partition as it is faster and more stable. The Mac client is a bit twitchy still, will be a while before they have the bugger locked down I reckon.

As an owner of a spanking new MacBook (bought 3 days before the latest revision, oh the timing!) I can fully recommend dual booting. Windows causes me pain, but it is just a games launcher for me. Dive on in.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah I'd say tel him to get into Dual Booting, it's really the best way to game on a Mac right now unfortunately, unless you play WoW =p

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EQ classic has a Mac server thats pretty awesome. It only goes up to Kunark, so supposedly it's better than EQ post-expansions. From what I hear, the community is small but vibrant.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've had some success getting Guild Wars to work on my Mac using Crossover Mac. They have a database of games/applications that are in various stages of working, or working with minor bugs, etc. For a $60 investment to play a couple of games, it might be worth it versus the $199 or whatever to install Windows XP on a BootCamp partition.

That said, I do most of my gaming in Windows using BootCamp because I play games like Perfect World and Lord of the Rings Online that don't work with Crossover Mac, so YMMV.

sidhaethe on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    let's not forget puzzle pirates, if that's your kinda thing.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    I've had some success getting Guild Wars to work on my Mac using Crossover Mac. They have a database of games/applications that are in various stages of working, or working with minor bugs, etc. For a $60 investment to play a couple of games, it might be worth it versus the $199 or whatever to install Windows XP on a BootCamp partition.

Also, if you have Crossover already, you'll have access to Crossover Games when it launches in the next few weeks. Thus far, it seems to run a lot smoother and has a bit better DirectX support. Havn't tried installing any MMO's on it yet, though.

EDIT: I can give LOTRo a shot on it, although I'll have to go the download-route, since I lent my DVD's for it to a friend for the trial that came with it, and I forgot to ask for them back. <_<

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nah, don't bother trying to install LotRO anyway, since according to this it's known not to work and not worth your time.

But I'm looking forward to the advances Crossover Games might bring!

sidhaethe on