As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions before I upgrade my computer...

DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
I've currently got a store-bought Compaq computer with an MS-7184 Socket 939 motherboard and a Sempron 3400+ CPU inside. I'm going to upgrade it soon, but I'm having trouble deciding which way to go.

Should I simply grab another socket 939 chip, like an AMD X2 4800+? It'd be an easy upgrade, but from what I've been reading and looking at it's hideously expensive for the performance I'd be getting.

The other thing I've been looking at are Intel C2Ds and their regular dual cores, the E2160 in particular. From what I've read and heard, the E2160 is basically a C2D with less cache and a ton of overclockability. Going this route requires that I buy a new mobo, which brings me to my first question: How can you tell whether or not a motherboard will fit in your OEM case without having to rip it apart and taking precise measurements?

Since I'm considering overclocking the E2160 via the bus speed, which will also increase RAM speed, my next questions this: If I overclocked the bus speed from 200 to 333, and thereby make the RAM go from DDR2-400 to DDR2-667, what speed RAM should I buy in the first place? Do I buy DDR2-400 and let it overclock, or buy DDR2-667 to be safe? Does it even matter?

The last thing I'm wondering about concerns the power supply. I'm running off the OEM Bestec 220-250w PSU at the moment, and that's obviously not going to handle an overclocked CPU and a possible 8800GT in the future. From what I've been reading, 8800GTs need about 25A of power on the 12v rails. The question I have is this: For PSUs with multiple 12v rails, do you count all the amps available, or does a video card need all 25 amps on one specific 12v rail?

The last questions I have are also about the power supply. I'm looking for a relatively efficient unit, and I was trying to figure out how the efficiency rating factored into the amount of power actually supplied to the computer. Say I have a 300w PSU with 80% efficiency at all loads. Does this mean that the PSU only gives a minimum of 240w (80% * 300), or does it mean that it constantly gives 300w but draws power from the wall socket at 80% efficiency? Also, what PSU brands are good? I've been getting warnings that PSUs should not be skimped on for the sake of price, but the only brand I've really heard anything great about is Antec. Any recommendations?

Note: price is definitely a consideration for me, although I'm not gonna buy the cheap generic stuff on critical components.

Thanks all!

Darklyre on

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As a general rule you can't upgrade the power supply or the motherboard in an OEM machine, especially a Compaq. You'd be better off just building a whole new one and salvaging what little is worth keeping from that Compaq.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, don't bother with overclocking unless you (a) absolutely know what you are doing, and (b) are at a juncture where you honestly need the 5-10% of extra performance. Overclocking new hardware right off the bat is just silly.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, about the only thing I was going to keep from the OEM Compaq was the case and HDD. My DVD-RW and video card have already been replaced, so there's no problem there. Is there any reason why I couldn't simply swap out both the motherboard/cpu/ram and the PSU at the same time, assuming they both fit in my case?

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Why keep the case? It won't fit other motherboards and power supplies and you can buy another one for like $40

Azio on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    $40 is $39.99 too much. :P

But I'm honestly just trying to get as much as I can without having to spend a crapload. If I absolutely have to switch out the case then I will, but I'd really rather not. Also, on the power supply, I've read online that the system I bought seems to have a standard ATX PSU.

Edit: I looked around some more and apparently my mobo is a Micro ATX, and according to the irrefutable truth that is Wikipedia, all mobos with Micro ATX form factors have the same mounting spots. How true is this?

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You may in fact be able to change the motherboard and power supply but my experience with OEM desktops, Compaqs included, has always been that you can't. Any number of things might make it difficult or impossible to upgrade the motherboard.

- The mounting holes might not be standard ATX/mATX.
    - The case's LEDs, front USB/Firewire ports, and fans might have nonstandard wires or connectors that don't fit on aftermarket motherboards.
    - They might have done something weird with the layout, like a crossbar or a cooling shroud, that could obstruct the components on your aftermarket motherboard.
    - The rear IO panel will be specifically designed for the motherboard that it came with and may not be removeable.

The only way to be sure (without buying anything) is to open it up, take some measurements, look at the pin headers, and make sure the IO panel comes off.

You could simply drop in a dual-core S939 chip but that power supply probably won't be able to handle it, and the motherboard itself might simply not support dual-core.

Azio on