As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 3/5/2008 - NEW FRONTIER special

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    It's what I said when I saw her.

Garlic Bread on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    GL: The whole thing
    Man I gotta quarrel with that.

It was a pretty decent comic but nothing more than that. No "omg" moments. Oh look the angry girl got a red ring. And the alpha lanterns are crazy, and the guardians are dicks. Nothing new or exciting.

deadonthestreet on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love the comic, but someone should count the use of the word "Rage" in that issue.

Sharp101 on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That would be like counting the use of the word fear in every issue of GL since v2. That's numbering in the thousands. Driving the point home that people are getting red rings that issue is to be expected. We're going to see this straight through till 2009 when the Black Lanterns try to extinguish the light.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm already making my war of the light badge, but it's slow going. Something keeps being off about it.

Anyway, it was a real shocker. Especially since I went back and read GL 25 and could swear that she's the blue-skinned female Red Lantern.

Crimsondude on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm already making my war of the light badge, but it's slow going. Something keeps being off about it.

Anyway, it was a real shocker. Especially since I went back and read GL 25 and could swear that she's the blue-skinned female Red Lantern.

You mean the blue-skinned female Blue Lantern?

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    gl007rz0.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God, I wish Kyle would get rid of the facehugger mask.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited March 2008
    In the upper right-hand corner? It looked like the RL logo to me.

I didn't even register the Blue Lantern until you mentioned it and I searched the page for a minute or two.

Crimsondude on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

You mean the blue-skinned female Blue Lantern?

IMAGE SPOILERS:
    gl007rz0.jpg

You know even though I've seen that picture so many times, there is just so much going on in it that I never noticed
    Hal stabbing that Red Lantern through the neck....

Sharp101 on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    It's what I said when I saw her.

My reaction:

sadfacegrowov5.gif

Synthetic Orange on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    oh yeah

that

that was pretty fucking terrible

Sars_Boy on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that something bad happened to Atom Eve huh. Is it as bad as when all the Repli-Kate doubles got literally torn into pieces?

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008
    Baby machine. D:

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think......I don't want to know any more than that.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008
    Kirkman seems to pull out all of the stops in giving his heroes fucked up origins / backgrounds.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh man I cant believe I forgot to mention in Powers
    TRIPHAMMER MOTHERFUCKERS

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm really looking forward to the Powers annual and handbook, when they come out.

Me Too! on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Re: that big ole Green Lantern splash.

Why are all the Red Lanterns puking?

I'm a GL noob...

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited March 2008
    well we really don't know anything about Red Lanterns yet aside than that they represent "rage" on the emotional spectrum. Last week's issue was the first appearance (aside from that splash page teaser) of the red rings.

But I believe in an interview Johns said that the Red Lanterns are so consumed with rage that thier body's cannot contain it, so it bursts out of them.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Not one of you said Dark Tower.

I hate you all.

The first issue was more of the same quality as the first series. I like that I feel like I've read something substantial after finishing an issue, especially with the background/legend supplements at the end.

Is the paperback edition of the first series out and does it include that supplementary content? I flipped through the hardcover in a bookstore a while back and was disappointed to see it didn't.

DMAC on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Re: that big ole Green Lantern splash.

Why are all the Red Lanterns puking?

I'm a GL noob...
    Apparently their power comes from their mouth, not from their hands. They're the M&M lanterns.

Fencingsax on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    The Red Lanterns should get tongue studs instead of rings.

DMAC on
    edited March 2008
    But then I couldn't be one. Can't stand piercings. Although for cosmic power...

Crimsondude on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So if red is rage and yellow is fear what's blue? (I have no GL knowledge)

smokmnky on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So if red is rage and yellow is fear what's blue? (I have no GL knowledge)
    hope. orange is greed, violet is love, and indigo is compassion.

Fencingsax on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Now I must admit I'm not a DC guy, but all the love for the Sinestro War and now this stuff sounds really interesting.

I did some more independant research, and found some more concept images of the new Lantern corps, they look great
    care_bears.jpg

Hehe sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm sure plenty of people have made that joke already.

Seriously now, can someone with no knowledge of or interest in the wider DC universe read and appreciate GL stuff just by itself, or will I end up needing to read other stuff just to keep on top of it all? And just as crucially, are they properly supported with trades because I don't read singles.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Now I must admit I'm not a DC guy, but all the love for the Sinestro War and now this stuff sounds really interesting.

I did some more independant research, and found some more concept images of the new Lantern corps, they look great
    care_bears.jpg

Hehe sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm sure plenty of people have made that joke already.

Seriously now, can someone with no knowledge of or interest in the wider DC universe read and appreciate GL stuff just by itself, or will I end up needing to read other stuff just to keep on top of it all? And just as crucially, are they properly supported with trades because I don't read singles.

I think you could read GL all on its own without any other DC comics. GLC and GL only seem to interact with each other really. Obviously GL's show up in other books, but they generally don't have anything to do with the storylines of GL and GLC.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, Kyle Rayner, what are the odds he'll defect to the Blue Lanterns on that note? They kind of laid it on thick in the SCW, yapping on about him and his hope every other issue.

Or I could just be craaaazy.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    So, Kyle Rayner, what are the odds he'll defect to the Blue Lanterns on that note? They kind of laid it on thick in the SCW, yapping on about him and his hope every other issue.

I have a feeling earth will have one Lantern per "good" color.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I have a feeling earth will have one Lantern per "good" color.

Which consist of...Green, Blue, and Violet? Purple surely not, as it's been said that the far ends of the spectrum are the worst of all.

I can't imagine any of them becoming one of the hippy (violet) lanterns.

Fiaryn on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Well, he's still a Green in that big splash page.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2008

Well, he's still a Green in that big splash page.

Of course, why would they give it away that early?

Fiaryn on
    edited March 2008
    Well, because some of the images have been used in later issues. Atrocitus' blood-soaked red lantern is the same image (or really, really close) to the one shown in GL 25 when the Guardians are telling Earth's GLs about the Blackest Night prophecy.

There was something else like this that I noticed when I was making my new badge. But for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2008
    Sinestro War was completley self contained within the 2 GL books, you can read just those 2 series and get everything you need.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    So then I what does Green stand for then? Also Virral that was an awesome picture, I lol'd

smokmnky on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Willpower.

august on
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »
    Willpower.

That's an emotion?

smokmnky on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I guess?

august on
    edited March 2008
    alright then, I really should start reading GL but :effort: and all that

smokmnky on
    edited March 2008
    I think originally it was supposed to be courage

Fencingsax on