As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First Comic: Le Cadavre Amarrent (Big-ish pictures)(NOT French)

2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
So, me and me ladyfriend started doing some comics together. I focused on the writing, and she focused on the drawing, though I think I had enough to do with the art to post it here without breaking any rules.

This is our first shot at comics like this, so try not to be too mean. Anyways, here's our first one.
Det__Oliver_Dinsley_Page_1_by_LeCadavreAmarrent.jpg

Det__Oliver_Dinsley_Page_2_by_LeCadavreAmarrent.jpg

Det__Oliver_Dinsley_Page_3_by_LeCadavreAmarrent.jpg

Det__Oliver_Dinsley_Page_4_by_LeCadavreAmarrent.jpg

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Heh, I like it.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lil' confused here, but it's interesting.

Chris W on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well that's better than I expected to hear, so thanks!
    Also, I'm noticing now that the thought boxes are a little hard to follow because of their placement in their frames. It's easier when it's laid out horizontally. So uh...sorry about that.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Great punchline, I laughed, but it took too long to get there.

Mustang on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Great punchline, I laughed, but it took too long to get there.

Nah, I think the buildup was ample, but not too brief. Art could use some serious work, notably shading and lighting.

UnknownSaint on
    edited March 2008
    Thanks! I'm quite proud of the build-up, but I see what you mean about the lighting and shadows. A few of the frames appear really bright when some of them are really dark. We'll try and work on that for next time.
    Is there anything else about the art you can notice? I'm really happy with our overall style, but any pointers would be nice.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm really happy with our overall style, but any pointers would be nice.

O_o

You're happy with your style? Sorry, but you don't have style.

Style comes when you master drawing from life and start applying that three dimensional knowledge to cartooning.

I would say go practice more before creating more comics, but I don't think that's what you want to hear.
    The comic looks like someone scratched it over a period of 20 minutes.

needOptic on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You elitist crotchface.

NotASenator on
    edited March 2008
    Sorry. I don't do magnets and fridges.

needOptic on
    edited March 2008
    Ouch. Well thanks for the crit, I suppose. It's supposed to look a little bit rough sketchy, but yeah, practise will definitely help. As I said, this is our first attempt. I disagree with your take on what style is, but yeah, we might be lacking it at the moment. Anyways, thanks.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited March 2008
    Ouch. Well thanks for the crit, I suppose. It's supposed to look a little bit rough sketchy, but yeah, practise will definitely help. As I said, this is our first attempt. I disagree with your take on what style is, but yeah, we might be lacking it at the moment. Anyways, thanks.

I'm not trying to insult you - my comments are usually rough in that respect.

What I mean is that your goal right now should be the development of your talent to represent things visually and make that talent accurate.

If you skip that step - your skill of cartooning will grow but on a mutated skeleton that will cripple you in the long run.

I know cartooning is much more fun than drawing vases from life, but trust me- it helps in the long run.

needOptic on
    edited March 2008
    I agree with that entirely, but I plan on doing both simultaniously. And no worries about sounding insulting, that's kind of what you expect when you post here.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on