As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 3/5/2008 - NEW FRONTIER special

124»

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you called it the Psychic Spectrum or something, Willpower would make more sense. Calling it Courage though doesn't make as much sense, as Green/Willpower is supposed to be the balancing force. Courage does nothing to balance out Rage.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Willpower is not an emotion, and the Guardians will make sure you know that.

Garlic Bread on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's more like the abscence of emotion, the Green Lanterns have such overpowering wills that they are able to override thier emotion and remain calm and cool and fearless in the face of any situation, thats how it works.

edit: damn Keith beat me to it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It's more like the abscence of emotion, the Green Lanterns have such overpowering wills that they are able to override thier emotion and remain calm and cool and fearless in the face of any situation, thats how it works.

edit: damn Keith beat me to it.

Ah see now I get it. GL take the Jedi approach to emotions

smokmnky on
    edited March 2008
    You guys who are pleading the "GL noob" thing need to realize that this corps of all colors thing is a brand new development. The Sinestro Corps War was the first storyline about the yellow rings, last week was the very first appearance of a red ring.

We still haven't seen the blue, orange, or black rings yet aside from the little teaser from GL #25.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    You guys who are pleading the "GL noob" thing need to realize that this corps of all colors thing is a brand new development. The Sinestro Corps War was the first storyline about the yellow rings, last week was the very first appearance of a red ring.

We still haven't seen the blue, orange, or black rings yet aside from the little teaser from GL #25.

I knew that. While I haven't ever ready any GL I did follow the Sinestro Corps war via podcasts and this forum. I just wasn't clear on the different colors thing

smokmnky on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    and I just wasn't clear on the whole "puking red stuff" thing. I'm still not really.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited March 2008
    and I just wasn't clear on the whole "puking red stuff" thing. I'm still not really.
    I thought the hate energy would be so strong within you that it would literally come out your pores, it would come out your nostrils and it would come out your mouth. You would just vomit red energy everywhere. Your eyes would go red and you'd just hate.
    How a Red Lantern is chosen, why and what makes them different than the other Lanterns will be explored. And it involves blood, of course. It's not pleasant. And also, it's the far end of the spectrum, so this power really eats you up inside.

Thats all we know so far

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Most of this talk could probably be directed to the GL thread.

It's the only way to be sure.

Tach on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EDIT: GODDAMN YOU, BALE!

Geoff Johns: Secret Origins and Blackest Night
    NRAMA: Atrocitus says "your innards will give me my freedom, Qull, and your blood my power." So does Atrocitus have to kill him in order to use the power of hate?

GJ: How a Red Lantern is chosen, why and what makes them different than the other Lanterns will be explored. And it involves blood, of course.

NRAMA: Laira is the second Red Lantern who is recruited at the end of the story. And in her transformation, we saw what Ethan Van Sciver told us about the Red Lanterns, where the energy of hate just comes pouring out of their mouths.

GJ: It's not pleasant. And also, it's the far end of the spectrum, so this power really eats you up inside.

*ahem* No comment needed on my part.

Anyway, this is the interview they're referring to: The Lanterns' Artists, I: Ethan Van Scriver
    EVS: Yes. I mean, it's all me stabbing in the dark. I think Geoff said, "Ethan, we want to see all the corps represented here." And he wasn't very specific about it this time, except to say that certain corps should be represented a certain way. My personal favorites are the Red Lanterns. I loooove the Red Lanterns. [laughs] I love to hate them.

NRAMA: Hate is what they're all about, right?

EVS: Yeah. I thought the hate lanterns would be fantastic, because who's going to put on a ring that says, you know, "You are capable of feeling great hatred" or "inspiring great hatred?" If a ring came to me and said that to me, I think I'd swat it away.

NRAMA: What’s with the red stuff coming out of their mouths? Is that what happens when you put on a red ring?

EVS: I thought the hate energy would be so strong within you that it would literally come out your pores, it would come out your nostrils and it would come out your mouth. You would just vomit red energy everywhere. Your eyes would go red and you'd just hate.

NRAMA: Anything you can tell us about the characters you drew in particular?

EVS: I created three very specific Red Lanterns on here and gave them names.

NRAMA: Can you tell us their names?

EVS: No. You’ll have to read the story Geoff and Ivan are doing to learn about the Red Lanterns. But I think the Red Lanterns are a lot scarier, they're a lot more aggressive and filled with rage, and a lot less sophisticated than an army that Sinestro would have put together. A lot more dangerous, I think. Rabid. You know, like rabid animals. And that's why I like the Red Lanterns.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2008
    way to be 12 minutes late Crimsondude

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got caught up doing something else while typing. I should have reloaded. I didn't. I didn't even realize how long it took.

Anyway, you don't want to piss me off. I could vomit red energy all over you.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2008
    I'm more worried about the energy coming out the other end

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sinestro War was completley self contained within the 2 GL books, you can read just those 2 series and get everything you need.

Lux Luthor : "WRONG!" There's a crossover into Blue Beetle 20, and Teen Titans despite sucking deals with fighting their future selves and and...what's his name.....the giant Star with the little ones that take over minds of their hosts with a Sinestro ring. At the very least Blue Beetle is worth getting as well.

Also Green stands for Courage. Being the Guardians are emotion phobic, they say willpower. One issue of SCW refers to it as courage as well, but only that one time. Also it's because using hope to face your fear is one way to define courage, hence yellow + blue = green.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    I didnt read either of those two tie-ins so I stand by my statement

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The giant star is named Starro. Bale is right, though.

Also, I agree that I thought it was an emotional spectrum (which would lead me to believe that Green would have to be an emotion too). It's just that the Guardians are apparently absolute retards and are basically doing to their corps what the violets did to theirs what with the whole "but Love is supposed to be this way, rather than actually use love.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, the Alpha Lanterns are pretty much proof positive that the Guardians view it as the complete lack of all emotion.

and just because a yellow ring appeared in those stories, they are not part of the actual Sinestro Corps storyline. They are just fringe tie-ins.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Well the Controllers did the same thing as they themselves pointed out with the Darkstars and Effigy. Instead of harnessing the power, they just tried to duplicate it, and now they've finally come to the conclusion that they have to take the power the way it is instead of complaining it's not how thye see it. So all the offshoots from Maltus have the same glaring blind spot when it comes to how the spectrum is used.

I'm kinda surprised Ion hasn't told the Guardians "Knock this stupid shit off, I -am- COURAGE you little blue bastards, and after thousands of years of this I'm fed up with it. Stop holding back the potential of the Corps and embrace it."

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well the Controllers did the same thing as they themselves pointed out with the Darkstars and Effigy. Instead of harnessing the power, they just tried to duplicate it, and now they've finally come to the conclusion that they have to take the power the way it is instead of complaining it's not how thye see it. So all the offshoots from Maltus have the same glaring blind spot when it comes to how the spectrum is used.

I'm kinda surprised Ion hasn't told the Guardians "Knock this stupid shit off, I -am- COURAGE you little blue bastards, and after thousands of years of this I'm fed up with it. Stop holding back the potential of the Corps and embrace it."
    Because right now Ion is an uninteresting character?

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, the Alpha Lanterns are pretty much proof positive that the Guardians view it as the complete lack of all emotion.

and just because a yellow ring appeared in those stories, they are not part of the actual Sinestro Corps storyline. They are just fringe tie-ins.

Um....no...these events actually took place at the -exact- same time as the War wasbeing fought on earth, the Titans didn't amke it in time to help because Starro and their future selevs were causing so much tourble they missed the main fight on the east coast. The Reach decided to try a joint venture with Sinestro at that time because it was advantageous, the only way to get Peacemaker to cooperate was the Scarab, otheriwse he would have taken that yellow ring and helped the Green Lanterns.

The Blue Beetle issue is jsut as importnat or not important as the 3 SCW and one GLC tie ins about Ion, Prime, Para, and Henshaw. You don't -eed- to read them but they enhacne the overall experience (the Ion one was the most useless one though).

Anyway, I would suggest more discussion on these topics to be shoved back into the GL thread.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Bale, do you post on iFanboy?

smokmnky on
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Because right now Ion is an uninteresting character?

I don't mean the Soddam, I mean the green dolphin in him. Presumably these primal forces made manifest have been around since the beginning of life, the universe, and everything. So we're told he's a hands off kind of energy being, but still, after thousands of years, maybe a suggestion or two wouldn't hurt.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They've said that ION is a manifestation of courage but I don't think they've claimed he's the manifestation of courage.

august on
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »
    They've said that ION is a manifestation of courage but I don't think they've claimed he's the manifestation of courage.

Now you're just nitpicking, if you're saying that Ion isn't the only green energy being out there, then that means there's an entire race of Para's out there just sitting around doing -nothing-. If there were more they would be making a mess of things on a universal scale, and the Guardians wouldn't have put so much effort into containing him if there were a ton more running around out there.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2008

Um....no...these events actually took place at the -exact- same time as the War wasbeing fought on earth, the Titans didn't amke it in time to help because Starro and their future selevs were causing so much tourble they missed the main fight on the east coast. The Reach decided to try a joint venture with Sinestro at that time because it was advantageous, the only way to get Peacemaker to cooperate was the Scarab, otheriwse he would have taken that yellow ring and helped the Green Lanterns.

The Blue Beetle issue is jsut as importnat or not important as the 3 SCW and one GLC tie ins about Ion, Prime, Para, and Henshaw. You don't -eed- to read them but they enhacne the overall experience (the Ion one was the most useless one though).

Anyway, I would suggest more discussion on these topics to be shoved back into the GL thread.

I didnt read any of those character one shots either, they are not parts of the storyline. They are tie-ins, there is a difference.

And yes smok I do

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    you should have been reading Blue Beetle anyway

Garlic Bread on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    So I have some stuff to take back to Radio Shack that cost about 100 bucks.
    Hello Blue Beetle trades.
    And Runaways trades.
    And a Sin City for good measure.

Me Too! on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    i was thinking about sin city at work today

specifically the part in 'a dame to kill for' where
    dwight has just gotten the shit knocked out of him by manute no contest like three times, so he goes and gets marv to back him up and marv just destroys manute. just wrecks his shit. hilarious

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wonder who's the more nearly indestructible human....Marv or Barracuda?

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008
    i would put my money on marv, though barracuda did survive a point-blank shotgun blast in the face, and that takes some doing

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Wow I didn't even know about that one. I knew about the electrocuted testicles, the ax hacking, and other various injuries. Wouldn't he literally not have a face after that shotgun blast?

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008
    well, i guess it could have been in the chest, but you only see frank firing, not where barracuda gets hit. but i don't think frank castle aims for the chest when the head is right there.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited March 2008
    That should be the official slogan of the Punisher.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey I'll ask you guys this one
    Which Sin City yarn should I get next?
    I've already got That Yellow Bastard.
    For my next one, I'd like either Big Fat Kill or Hard Goodbye.

Me Too! on
    edited March 2008
    Big Fat Kill because Dwight is awesome.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008

I didnt read any of those character one shots either, they are not parts of the storyline. They are tie-ins, there is a difference.

And yes smok I do

How....how can you possibly be so wrong? The Parallax one shows part of it from Kyle's POV while trapped in his own body. I don't know how much more in the main story that could have been.....

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Did they advance the plot in any way or simply give flavour to a character's view of the plot?

Well, there you go then.

And man, I love Blue Beetle but reading #20 was in no way necessary to understand the flow of the SCW.

Wildcat on
    edited March 2008
    Wildcat gets it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Hey I'll ask you guys this one
    Which Sin City yarn should I get next?
    I've already got That Yellow Bastard.
    For my next one, I'd like either Big Fat Kill or Hard Goodbye.

Man, my favorite is Hell and Back, but I guess you should read that one last.

Langly on