As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Movie Thread The Incredible Iron Knight is watching the Watchmen.

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Wanted, it was a bit stupid in points (seriously, a supervillain named Shithead or whatever?), but I liked a book showing a world where supervillains won.
    Well, Arseface is an infinitely more stupid name from an infinitely better comic. Which should be made into a four-hour movie.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Wanted, it was a bit stupid in points (seriously, a supervillain named Shithead or whatever?), but I liked a book showing a world where supervillains won.
    Well, Arseface is an infinitely more stupid name from an infinitely better comic. Which should be made into a four-hour movie.
    Or an HBO miniseries.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Or an HBO miniseries.
    What ever happened to that?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just rent Gia. She's younger and more naked in it.

I've already seen it, so I am still going to see Wanted.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Or an HBO miniseries.
    What ever happened to that?

Yeah seriously. I thought this was set to go into full production like over a year ago with a list of director's lined up (Mark Steven Johnson & Kevin Smith off the top of my head) and some HBO-approved scripts. Then.....nothing

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »
    I honestly don't get all the Wanted hatred in these parts. What exactly was so terrible about the books? Just the premise of reveling in sadism and ultraviolence?

I actually really liked the book.

It would be OK, if it were written by a 14 year old with antisocial problems and stuff. It just has no redeeming qualities about it whatsoever. It has great art and a good fight scenes, but that is about it. Millar knows how to write action, I will give him that.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why should it be redeeming? It's all about supervillains. It would be ridiculous for any of the characters to just find religion. Besides, if they did they'd be murdered by the other pyschopaths and sociopaths.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    it's not even about redemption or liking the characters. it's about how, at the end, mark millar calls the reader a fucking retard for wanting to read comics or like movies.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    He wasn't saying it should be about redemption at all.
    He said it had no redeeming qualities.
    There is a difference there.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Right. I must have had a case of being retarded.

That said, what exactly constitutes a redeeming value in a comic like Wanted? I mean, if we're going to just through it out there I've said and maintain that Preacher has no redeeming value to me in that it wasn't, to me, a story worth reading (again).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    He wasn't saying it should be about redemption at all.
    He said it had no redeeming qualities.
    There is a difference there.

Well sure, but then he contradicted himself by saying it has good art and fight scenes which means it obviously does have some redeeming qualities.

I think it sounds interesting in concept, but I suspect I wouldn't like how it was actually written from everything I've seen/heard.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    it's not even about redemption or liking the characters. it's about how, at the end, mark millar calls the reader a fucking retard for wanting to read comics or like movies.

it's about making good on your desires, so the hedonistic prick who resembles eminem taunts you

the more i think about it

it seems more wesley's statement than one made by millar

i don't enjoy millar's personal views that much but it may've been more of the charcter's take

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »

it's about making good on your desires, so the hedonistic prick who resembles eminem taunts you

the more i think about it

it seems more wesley's statement than one made by millar

i don't enjoy millar's personal views that much but it may've been more of the charcter's take

Gee, really?

You mean this selfish prick of a supervillain who killed his way to the top and is now in his 20s one of the four most powerful men on Earth might not be a nice guy? Who'd have thought.

Besides that, after reading what Millar was saying about CW and what he wrote during CW it's pretty clear that he has trouble putting his words into characters' mouths the way they're "supposed" to go when that is his intention. It's like Ultimates, I guess, that the only think that I've come away with as far as any agenda he has or doesn't is that he's a total starfucker.

EDIT: Just added a massive post about the end of Wanted I made on another forum.
    Zemi wrote: »
    Additionally, he then goes on to call every reader of the comic a stupid, pathetic, sheeple-esque couchfuck who isn't fit to lick the splattered gore out of the waffle of his combat boot, flick everyone the bird and stride off with a raging self-assured priderection.

To think, I asked a while back why people don't like Mark Millar as a writer. Hindsight is both 20/20 and blinding. Eesh.
    I believe that Millar was trying to get you to realize that the world didn't have to be the way that it was, and that the guy's speech was supposed to make you angry at what he was saying. Sort of an extreme Devil's Advocate position.

-Darren MacLennan

Jesus. I just got done arguing about this on the PA forums. So let me just say that Zemi couldn't be more wrong. Wesley is telling the reader to fuck off because he's a sociopathic supervillain. Moreover he's a pastiche of some of the most antisocial, soulless, heartless evil killers in comic books. Closest approximation is to Bullseye: Not only is he very good at killing, but by the end he loves it. He loves being the supervillain. How else did you expect him to end his narrative? Really, was there any outcome you could foresee where he wouldn't be the arrogant, selfish fuck who insults the reader/listener at the end?

Darren's right. Millar isn't that edgy. Everything else he does has the hero win and good triumphant. And yet at the end of Wanted the status quo remains. And the status quo to a normal person sucks, because evil rules the world. Wesley is a supervillain. I can't emphasize (or say it) enough. You are supposed to hate him. And just in case you don't, he breaks the fourth wall even further than his standard narrative in those last pages to tell you that he hates you.

This is a character who goes on jobs for fun and profit in other dimensions. If he ever arrived in this one, he wouldn't hesitate to murder you or me or Darren or anyone else. And yet people somehow take it as an affront to them personally because the protagonist for once is mean to the audience. That's just stupid.

People aren't supposed to root for the bad guy. Millar's other works are written so that you're not supposed to root for the bad guy. Even Civil War painted Cap in the wrong (or tries to. It's hard to want Captain America to lose on principle) because Tony is the hero. He's the good("better'') guy. And if you don't think that was the view at Marvel, read What If? Civil War. It makes it pretty clear that Cap was so blinded by principle that he fucked up what could have turned out to be an optimal situation for the universe if he stopped and actually reasoned things out.

To just quote myself

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    he catches a lot more flak than he actually deserves

wanted was pretty shitty

but the more i think about it

the end may've been taken a bit too personally

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Aside from a few good action scenes, there was nothing good about Wanted. It was a neat idea, for a 12 year old. When you can't sympathise even a little bit with any of the characters, why should you read something? It was just violence and depravity for the sake of violence and depravity.

Millar is talking about how good the Wanted movie is again. I think I am giving up on his message board.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    I like his lovably goofy belief in every conspiracy theory going and how most people on the board react to it with the sort of strained indulgence you might give a ten year old who keeps insisting that Santa is a real person.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Warner Bros has acquired the rights to Bone.

If they fuck this up I will become Batman and destroy them.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »
    I honestly don't get all the Wanted hatred in these parts. What exactly was so terrible about the books? Just the premise of reveling in sadism and ultraviolence?

I actually really liked the book.

Seriously, Wanted was good.

valiance on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Warner Bros has acquired the rights to Bone.

If they fuck this up I will become Batman and destroy them.

I'm guessing they are going to make it an animated feature if they have any sense. I've never read it but it looks like animated would be the way to go.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Seeing as how Jeff Smith had the authority to ax the Disney production of Bone when they wanted to put in songs sung by Britteny Spears, I think if it gets made it should be awesome.

august on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    yeah a classy 2d style animated movie would be best

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aside from a few good action scenes, there was nothing good about Wanted. It was a neat idea, for a 12 year old. When you can't sympathise even a little bit with any of the characters, why should you read something? It was just violence and depravity for the sake of violence and depravity.

Millar is talking about how good the Wanted movie is again. I think I am giving up on his message board.

Well it'd be kind of silly for Millar to tell people how shitty the movie based on his book is.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »
    Seeing as how Jeff Smith had the authority to ax the Disney production of Bone when they wanted to put in songs sung by Britteny Spears, I think if it gets made it should be awesome.

Never even heard that before....that would have been frightening.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When you can't sympathise even a little bit with any of the characters, why should you read something? It was just violence and depravity for the sake of violence and depravity.

Funny, I hated the movie "kids" for the exact same reason. An entire cast without a single redeeming value between them, and while that may have been the very point of the picture, I watched it having heard how entertaining it was, and I was not entertained.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well a character can be compelling without being sympathetic. But they'd have to be more than a generic archetype for that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Well it'd be kind of silly for Millar to tell people how shitty the movie based on his book is.

alan moore doesn't seem to have a problem with it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Millar is a hype machine maniac. He's going through some weird phase right now, at least on his MB, were he acts like his ego is enormous. Maybe it is all for publicity, but it is one of the reasons why I left his MB.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

alan moore doesn't seem to have a problem with it

Alan Moore doesn't want what Millar wants--money and to be "inside" Hollywood. Seriously, it's almost begging at this point that he wants to sit with the cool kids.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    I like his lovably goofy belief in every conspiracy theory going and how most people on the board react to it with the sort of strained indulgence you might give a ten year old who keeps insisting that Santa is a real person.

wait, really? like what?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oooh! Please let it be 9/11.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why should it be redeeming? It's all about supervillains. It would be ridiculous for any of the characters to just find religion. Besides, if they did they'd be murdered by the other pyschopaths and sociopaths.

It's not about the characters not being good guys or finding religion it's about them not being likeable at all. Villians can be complete bastards and still be at least a little likeable. Wanted just read like a childish power fantasy to me but hey I guess it's a matter of opinion. Seriously though I hated it's guts out.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, I added quite a bit in an edit to my last comment about Wanted on the last page, but as far as that goes there is no doubt in my mind that the villains were not intended to be likeable. Villains may be charismatic, but Millar especially seems to be pretty clear that they are what they are, and likeable is not it.

Oh dear god, why?
    According to the trade publication Variety, Paramount Pictures has acquired rights to turn the Valiant Comics series "Harbinger" into a live-action feature that will be developed as a potential directing vehicle for Brett Ratner.

Alexandra Milchan will produce with Ratner and Jay Stern. The project may be branded under the MTV Films banner.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing for Valiant or Harbinger that Ratner may be attached.

I'm saying that it's a bad thing for any license to have that jerkoff hack Ratner attached.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    NRAMA: How’s the We3 movie coming along? Advance reviews of the script have been very enthusiastic. I know a lot of productions got stalled because of the writers’ strike…

GM: Yeah, it’s not even so much the strike, because I finished the script well over a year ago. It’s moving slowly because New Line can’t nail down the right director for various reasons. We’ve been through so many guys, the list is a ridiculous who’s who of talent. But they were either unavailable or unsuitable in some way. We’ll see what happens next when New Line’s current troubles get resolved.

The screenplay follows the comic faithfully, with a few extra scenes we’d cut out because of the page-count restrictions, so the movie version of We3 is, I think, even better than the comic book script.

I’m used to doing comic books, where you’ve got your story written and it’s on the stands within three months, while you’re on to the next thing. But in Hollywood, the process can be long and involved and go on for years at a time. It took Neil Gaiman 17 years or something to get Beowulf onto the screen, so it’s best to just keep moving forward with other projects in the meantime.
    Grant Morrison talks a tiny bit about the We3 movie in an interview about All Star Superman at newsarama

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    NRAMA: How’s the We3 movie coming along? Advance reviews of the script have been very enthusiastic. I know a lot of productions got stalled because of the writers’ strike…

GM: Yeah, it’s not even so much the strike, because I finished the script well over a year ago. It’s moving slowly because New Line can’t nail down the right director for various reasons. We’ve been through so many guys, the list is a ridiculous who’s who of talent. But they were either unavailable or unsuitable in some way. We’ll see what happens next when New Line’s current troubles get resolved.

The screenplay follows the comic faithfully, with a few extra scenes we’d cut out because of the page-count restrictions, so the movie version of We3 is, I think, even better than the comic book script.

I’m used to doing comic books, where you’ve got your story written and it’s on the stands within three months, while you’re on to the next thing. But in Hollywood, the process can be long and involved and go on for years at a time. It took Neil Gaiman 17 years or something to get Beowulf onto the screen, so it’s best to just keep moving forward with other projects in the meantime.
    Grant Morrison talks a tiny bit about the We3 movie in an interview about All Star Superman at newsarama
    Oh god, I hope the We3 movie happens. Well, assuming it's as faithful an adaptation as Morrison claims. We3 is the only comic since Maus to make me cry my manly tears.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I cried in WE3, and felt all weak in the stomach almost the whole time I read it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Bogart wrote: »

wait, really? like what?

He once made a thread on his board about this really great and totally reasonable and utterly factual documentary he'd just seen about 9/11 and recommended it to everyone on the board. It was Loose Change. Cue much uncomfortable umming and ahhing and 'well, actually Mark' comments.

His love of professional nutbag and scourge of other-dimensional lizard-people David Icke is also a frequent source of amusement. Cue much 'I'm sure he has some valid points, Mark, but, uh, isn't he actually really really crazy?'.

Of course, these may be things he has since changed his mind about or are opinions he only actually held casually. But I sort of get the impression that he's a conspiracy wonk.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I cried in WE3, and felt all weak in the stomach almost the whole time I read it.

Likewise.

So many powerful moments, particularly the climactic confrontation.

Faithfully done on the big screen, that would be fucking awesome.

Also, I'll cry.

Again.

Forar on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It would be interesting to see how the audience will take animal violence. With all the desensitization to regular ol' human violence, would seeing
    a cyborg rabbit get shot in the head
    really fuck some people up?

Lux on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes.

Most people don't like seeing animals hurt. When I saw Roger & Me the first time, I thought some people were going to puke at the rabbit scene. None did. But comments were made.

Anyway, just reading the wiki article made me wonder why I never even heard (or noticed to any sufficient degree) of this. It sounds so good.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I suspect it will.

Which, at least the way I read We3, is partly the point.

Forar on
This discussion has been closed.