As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    What level is the Shire? I have yet to visit apart from briefly going to Brandywood to hand in quests from Bree. Might go farm some deeds there if it's at my level or lower. (I'm 17 now.)

Shire's the post-intro starting area for hobbits, so it's the same level spread as Erid Luin or Archet/Combe/that whole east-of-Bree-west-of-Lone-Lands area. I don't remember any quests with levels higher than 12, so you should be able to sleepwalk through a couple deeds over there.

Just a brief grumbling: the slug-killer deed is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Moreso than the shire post and pie delivery quests. They don't come in handy clumps, so you have to trek back and forth across the swamp with gnats following you everywhere you go. Seriously, it took me 10 minutes to track down and kill 10 slugs, and the whole time I had at least 2, at times up to 6, gnats following me.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Ow. Too many mobs in this game = deadly.

I was mucking about in Old Forest, looking for some guy's backpack. Pulled three spiders while running up to it. I can take that as a Guardian though it'll leave me on 20-30% hp. Then two more crawled down from the trees. D:

Echo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've done some amazing things on my Champion, having an AoE stun, a 300+ morale heal and an ability that takes half my power and turns it into morale means I can keep myself up good. My racials as a Dwarf are great too, Dwarf Endurance lets me put a 10m buff for 40 or so vitality and Endurance of Stone increases my Fire, Shadow and Common mitigation by 75% for ten seconds which makes me invincible pretty much. On top of all that theres potions and I can take on some small fellowship stuff easily.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    logothesialogothesia Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    Just a brief grumbling: the slug-killer deed is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Moreso than the shire post and pie delivery quests. They don't come in handy clumps, so you have to trek back and forth across the swamp with gnats following you everywhere you go. Seriously, it took me 10 minutes to track down and kill 10 slugs, and the whole time I had at least 2, at times up to 6, gnats following me.

That's why you kill everything in the swamp...they all co-spawn with slugs.

logothesia on
    RootworkSummerCampaignBadge.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was playing with the character builder, trying to get the most information out of my free trial, and I used randomize a couple of times on my new Hobbit minstrel.

I accidentally made a Hobbit Bill Clinton. I'll post some screen shots later.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ow. Too many mobs in this game = deadly.

I was mucking about in Old Forest, looking for some guy's backpack. Pulled three spiders while running up to it. I can take that as a Guardian though it'll leave me on 20-30% hp. Then two more crawled down from the trees. D:

be glad those trees don't aggro anymore

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    logothesia wrote: »
    Simon Moon wrote: »

That's why you kill everything in the swamp...they all co-spawn with slugs.

You know, I actually knew this, from being told that about resource nodes and unique creatures. I don't know why it didn't occur to me in this context. I'm gonna go feel dumb for a whlie. Then I'm going to murder some slugs, frogs, and gnats.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ooh new info about the next Book in the last dev chat (http://www.lotrolife.com/dev_chat_10_3_08/). Not much interesting, but a reveal of the new zone. They say it's around the size of the North Downs (which is rather huge).

New zone!
    2196.jpg

And here I am with my highest level guy around Esteldin in the North Downs. It's going to be many months before I get to this new place. :(

veritas1 on
  • Options
    RethiusRethius Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am officially in on Landroval. I made a human champion named Rethius (surprisingly).

I'm loving this game so far, but the only complaint I have is the UI. I really liked the UI with WoW. Didn't like the rest of the game too much, but it was easy to find stuff in my bags and the interface just seemed to flow.

Anybody know of any addons for this game to tweak the UI a bit?

Oh yeah, add me to your friends lists so we can go kill stuff together.

Rethius on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, my free trial is almost over and I'm not in a financial position to invest in this just yet, so I'll probably just start another free trial in a week or so and try another class. :/

Out of interest: I'd love to hear from those of you playing Guardians, Champions, or even Hunters - what do you think of the gameplay? Right now I am playing a Captain, in part because they were the unique class for Men but also because they seemed to have good survivability.

I'm finding that true (and I love the pet) but I also like to hand out major DPS (my main character in GW is a fire Elementalist and in WoW I most enjoyed playing a mage), so I'm thinking of playing a Champion next. Are they good for solo exploring while remaining standing after a battle, or would a Guardian be better? And Hunters -- I'm hearing they're more like mages with single-target nuking, but does it feel like that? Can you rain down fire(arrows) upon your enemies? Do you feel mighty?

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rethius wrote: »
    I am officially in on Landroval. I made a human champion named Rethius (surprisingly).

I'm loving this game so far, but the only complaint I have is the UI. I really liked the UI with WoW. Didn't like the rest of the game too much, but it was easy to find stuff in my bags and the interface just seemed to flow.

Anybody know of any addons for this game to tweak the UI a bit?

Oh yeah, add me to your friends lists so we can go kill stuff together.

There are mods and I'd go to the lotro interface site if you want to know more. In general I think they are mostly cosmetic.

For instance macros are so restricted that it isn't possible to have one button both use a skill and post to fellowship chat that you used it. The kind of mods that WoW used to have that would automate many parts of playing are right out.

And don't worry about friend lists. Come join us in our chat channel:
    Type
    /joinchannel pennyarcade wang

Right click on the tab you want to display the PA channel and adjust the filter accordingly. Then type
    /1 Hey guys add me to your friends list!

That way we can tell you no to your face :P

I think I better add this stuff to the first part of the OP as well as taking any possible excuse to post it in the thread. Hmmmmm.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Well, my free trial is almost over and I'm not in a financial position to invest in this just yet, so I'll probably just start another free trial in a week or so and try another class. :/

Out of interest: I'd love to hear from those of you playing Guardians, Champions, or even Hunters - what do you think of the gameplay? Right now I am playing a Captain, in part because they were the unique class for Men but also because they seemed to have good survivability.

I'm finding that true (and I love the pet) but I also like to hand out major DPS (my main character in GW is a fire Elementalist and in WoW I most enjoyed playing a mage), so I'm thinking of playing a Champion next. Are they good for solo exploring while remaining standing after a battle, or would a Guardian be better? And Hunters -- I'm hearing they're more like mages with single-target nuking, but does it feel like that? Can you rain down fire(arrows) upon your enemies? Do you feel mighty?

My friend has her Hunter up to level 30 and she does silly amounts of damage. She tells me she crits ~600 dmg on targets sometimes while I'm critting at most 200 at the same level on my minstrel. So, in short, yes you will feel mighty. Combine that with the awesome travelling speed and warping skills, the hunter is an awesome class (even though I haven't played it).

veritas1 on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I loved this game a lot, but at the same time, I got to max level shortly after release and then there wasn't much to do :( is there much of an 'endgame' yet, or is the game still mostly for people with altitis :)

like, do any of you have a char at max level whom you play exclusively? if so, what do you do with your time?

also, it looks like they literally about doubled the number of skills loremasters have since I left the game and stopped playing my max level loremaster. How are the new skills? did they change the LRM role a lot? I used to just debuff and do a little nuking while CCing with my aoe roots and flash of light and whatnot...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    veritas1 wrote: »

So, I'm not sure what's going on with any official PA kinships, but it seems like nothing is happening. Thought I'd throw out another invite to anyone who wants to join a kinship to join mine, The Flame Imperishable. We have about 4 PAers including myself now, as well as a bunch of friends of mine and random people we grouped with and thought were cool. Send me a tell in-game if you're interested. Name is Anaborn or Janus. This is on Landroval server.

Adding this to the OP.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I loved this game a lot, but at the same time, I got to max level shortly after release and then there wasn't much to do :( is there much of an 'endgame' yet, or is the game still mostly for people with altitis :)

like, do any of you have a char at max level whom you play exclusively? if so, what do you do with your time?

also, it looks like they literally about doubled the number of skills loremasters have since I left the game and stopped playing my max level loremaster. How are the new skills? did they change the LRM role a lot? I used to just debuff and do a little nuking while CCing with my aoe roots and flash of light and whatnot...

Like I mentioned in the OP there are Raid both 12 and 24 man. I have a lv 50 Captain and my kin goes to the 12 man one regularly. Lately we have also been doing Carn Dum runs to get everyone that needs class quest items from there fixed up proper. But there isn't really the raid/endgame focus that maybe WoW has. Lots of people have altitis and others do some PvMP which might be more viable now then when you quit seeing as there are a lot more lv 50s on the non-monster side now.

Another thing you can always work on is deeds. Some of these involve killing elite mobs in mass quantities so can take up time.

I'd say there is good demand for Loremasters in endgame raids since they are not a very popular class. In raids you main priorities are mezzing, stealing power and giving it to others, and removing dangerous wound debuffs. At least that is what people talk about in voice chat as we work though the Rift.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Downloaded the free trial today. It's taking forever to update. GRR.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm... I've been playing my Guardian & Minstrel duo, but am now slightly curious about Guardian & Captain as a duo... I think I will stick with the Minstrel since the pass through targeting is really easy with songs and shouts.

Overall I'm really loving the game since I came back to it. I think having the PA chat channel is much nicer than trying to have everyone under 1 guild.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I rolled a minstrel purely to try out farming/cooking. Awww, how charming! But I can see how it's not for everyone, what with the time it takes and cost for seeds and other materials.
    Derrick wrote: »

There's a torrent with the 1.06 patch somewhere. Way faster than the updater.

Echo on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Farming is definitely not for everyone. However, it and cooking are probably the only two professions you can work up all the way without having to either gather / hunt in higher-level areas or buy the results from someone else who does. You might need some help on the higher-tier cooking quests, but otherwise all you need is cash. There aren't even very many dropped recipes to worry about.

I've got both my farmer and cook working on grand master, my other crafting professions are all stuck at Expert, most Master Expert, because I just can't safely gather enough resources at my level to seriously work on Artisan yet for most of them. (Actually, I take that back... my jeweler is ready to quest to complete the Artisan tier because I could do it with the same raw materials I used in Expert.) It's frustrating, because I WANT to get my crafting ahead of my leveling so I can make crit'ed stuff for my own characters, but I can't because until I level (or unless I want to spend the cash that I really can't afford), I can't get enough raw materials to do it.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I rolled a minstrel purely to try out farming/cooking. Awww, how charming! But I can see how it's not for everyone, what with the time it takes and cost for seeds and other materials.

If someone wants to write up a quick guide to patching the game quickly or link to such a thing, I'll definitely add it to the OP.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I completed the intro with a cute little hobbit burglar Esmi:
    esmi.jpg

Quite fun. It kind of reminded me of the intro area to Guild Wars. I'm not sure I'm sold on the game yet, but with my GF busy with work for a week, it has time to sink it's teeth in.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »
    Farming is definitely not for everyone. However, it and cooking are probably the only two professions you can work up all the way without having to either gather / hunt in higher-level areas or buy the results from someone else who does. You might need some help on the higher-tier cooking quests, but otherwise all you need is cash. There aren't even very many dropped recipes to worry about.

I've got both my farmer and cook working on grand master, my other crafting professions are all stuck at Expert, most Master Expert, because I just can't safely gather enough resources at my level to seriously work on Artisan yet for most of them. (Actually, I take that back... my jeweler is ready to quest to complete the Artisan tier because I could do it with the same raw materials I used in Expert.) It's frustrating, because I WANT to get my crafting ahead of my leveling so I can make crit'ed stuff for my own characters, but I can't because until I level (or unless I want to spend the cash that I really can't afford), I can't get enough raw materials to do it.

This is one of the main problems with crafting as it is set up. Add it the fact that crafting is a huge money sink compared to just buying items off the AH and I stand by my advice that explorer is really the way to go with your first character. If you have friends or kinmates that can craft items for you then there is even more reason not to bother.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008

If someone wants to write up a quick guide to patching the game quickly or link to such a thing, I'll definitely add it to the OP.

Here ya go.

Download the installer for the game, only installs up to Book 11. Get it from here:
    http://download.turbine.com/lotro/Installers/TrialHiRes/LOTRO-US-Book11-Downloader-FreeTrial-HighRes.exe

Then, you can start the download for the torrent of Book 12 here:
    http://download.level3.turbine.com/largecontent/lotro/book12/torrent/live/LOTRO-US-Updater-Book11-to-Book12.exe.torrent

You'll also need a torrent program such as uTorrent installed. Download that here:
    http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

Then just run the main installer, and then the Book 12 patch. After that, it shouldn't take nearly as long to install the patches.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Cool. Thanks Veritas1. Added that to the OP.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

This is one of the main problems with crafting as it is set up. Add it the fact that crafting is a huge money sink compared to just buying items off the AH and I stand by my advice that explorer is really the way to go with your first character. If you have friends or kinmates that can craft items for you then there is even more reason not to bother.

See, the problem is, I *like* crafting. As a matter of fact, I'm making ingots as I post this. I started this game and said, "I'm not going to craft in this game" then "I'm only going to do a little on the side to see what it's like, but I'm DEFINITELY not going to try to keep up with equipping my characters" and now I've got every craft covered, some multiple times (2 tailors, 2 foresters, 2 farmers, and 3 prospectors) among my 5 characters, and they're almost all as high as I can get them without help / buying materials.

My second farmer is a bit behind, but he's doing all pipeweed and brewing ingredients (he's a dwarf) while the first (an elf) does only fruits & vegies (plus oats for bear food), but no "recreational" crops so I only work on his farming when I have a bit of time and cash to spare. I think I have 1 prospector almost finished with Artisan, the other 2 have mastered Expert but barely started Artisan. Both tailors are working on mastering Expert and really haven't started Artisan.

I can't even make myself not level up the duplicates of the same craft. (Makes sense on forester / prospector, but I really don't NEED two tailors or farmers). Fortunately, the character that I'm playing with my husband and friends is an explorer, so as we venture out into the higher-level areas where my other characters don't care to go alone, I can gather... unfortunately, both my husband and one of the two friends are ALSO looking for ores, so when we see one, it's a 3-way race to see who gets it first, and we all roll on hides. None of them even CAN gather wood, though, so at least I get all of that to myself.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so, to press the issue of the "endgame"... how hard are the 2 raids? are only the 'hardcore' clans able to complete them? or is it pretty easy to get a pick-up group together and run them?

god, I love MMOs, except for the other players -_- I love games like this and WoW, but I hate how hard it is to find groups of people competent and nice enough that I actually enjoy playing with them...

typically, a night for me in an mmo goes like this:

spend an hour or two sitting around trying to get a group with decent class balance together to do something. spend another hour waiting for slow people and afk people to actually start moving toward the instance. spend a couple hours wiping as I slowly realize at least a couple people have no clue how to play their classes. watch as people bitch and moan over loot and which way to go and whose fault it is we're wiping. give up or finish the instance eventually, rinse, and repeat.

don't know why I went on that mini-rant since it's not specifically LOTRO related =p though it *is* one of the reasons I quit, and one of the reasons I'm tempted to quit WoW again... can never find decent pugs and can never find decent guilds so that I don't have to pug...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It turns out I was involved in the server first kill on the last boss in the 24 man raid.
    ScreenShot00018.jpg

That was basically a PuG. I came with a random tell after many earlier failures. As you can see I wasn't even lv 50 then and didn't have many legendary deeds done.

I think it comes down to the raid leader, really. Our new raid leaders are making the Rift pretty easy right until the Balrog wipes us.

The difference from WoW is that there isn't a huge ladder to climb and gear doesn't make as dramatic a difference in the first place. Also you can improve your character with deeds most of which are soloable.

That said it isn't easy to get 24 people doing anything whatsoever, so you probably won't be as lucky as I was. Finding a good kin is still important.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game has given me the most serious Alt-itis yet. I cannot find a single class that I like to play more than any others. Fucking hell.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yep, they definitely did good on balancing the fun over all of the classes. The tanking class for this game is actually some of the most fun I've ever had, running around as a Guardian and bashing peoples faces in with your shield is fun.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, big props to making classes that are all capable of soloing non-group stuff on their own without feeling horribly gimped, such as holy paladins/holy priests in WoW. My minstrel actually feels like someone that can do battle!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hah. I got the retail client now, and... I still can't trade to my trial buddy. They really have a pathological fear of gold sellers. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hah. I got the retail client now, and... I still can't trade to my trial buddy. They really have a pathological fear of gold sellers. :P

I wouldn't call it a pathological fear... I would call it that there was a seriously annoying invasion of gold sellers. You would see level 2s out in the middle of Evendim or wherever yelling out their spew to the whole region. It was quite common. And freakin' annoying.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well of course it was common, that's what everyone speaks!

(Do you still work for Harmonix?)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a pathological fear... I would call it that there was a seriously annoying invasion of gold sellers. You would see level 2s out in the middle of Evendim or wherever yelling out their spew to the whole region. It was quite common. And freakin' annoying.

Oh, I can understand restricting chat so they can't use regional etc. But I found their restrictions on player interaction horribly frustrating when me and my buddy are on trials to check the game out and considering buying it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    hmxmoss wrote: »

Oh, I can understand restricting chat so they can't use regional etc. But I found their restrictions on player interaction horribly frustrating when me and my buddy are on trials to check the game out and considering buying it.

Its only the Free Trials that do that, I used a buddy key to start a trial, and I have been able to send and recieve mail, and open trades etc etc.

Unless the only reason it allows that is because I have my Free Trial assigned to the same Turbine Account as my Retail Account, which means I sign in with my username & password, then pick which account to login on.

Also, should we start a crafters list in the OP or something? Only crafters willing to craft for PA'ers need list themselves. I was thinking if for example they were willing, people could send them mail with the raw components and have the subject of the mail be the item they want crafted, along with a gratuity fee, and they could send back the constructed item. Or that may be easier to just work out in the chat channel. Hmm. My main beef is not wanting to spend the coin on buying the drop / vendor recipes if someone else already has them learned.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Eh. Postage on mail is based on the number of items in a stack? D:

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Eh. Postage on mail is based on the number of items in a stack? D:

Based on the total value of the stack. As near as I can tell from some testing, it's 50c + 20% of the value of whatever you are sending.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Eeeh. That sucks. Ah well, mailing hides for boiling isn't too expensive, but it's still rather noticable for a level 18.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, should we start a crafters list in the OP or something? Only crafters willing to craft for PA'ers need list themselves. I was thinking if for example they were willing, people could send them mail with the raw components and have the subject of the mail be the item they want crafted, along with a gratuity fee, and they could send back the constructed item. Or that may be easier to just work out in the chat channel. Hmm. My main beef is not wanting to spend the coin on buying the drop / vendor recipes if someone else already has them learned.

I'd love to participate in something like this, but I think I'm probably the only one here on Vilya, so I doubt I'd be too much help. Anyone who happens to be on Vilya, though, can contact Nerissa (tailor)/ Aalinai (scholar/weaponsmith)/ Ryssa (jeweler/cook) / Syrra (metalsmith/tailor) / Risli (woodcrafter)

If you're going to start a list, you probably want to include both what the highest tier is people can make and the highest tier they have mastered. I wonder if it would be worth including the "gathering" professions (farmer, forester, prospector) or just the ones that make final products.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, something else to add to the OP, and maybe someone can explain it to me here as well, what are the benefits and downsides to the PvMP play?

I hear lots about rank and renown and infamy, but I have no idea what any of it is good for. Also what are the downsides? Do you still have to pay repair bills for dying in PvMP combat? etc etc

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png