As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What we need around here are some Good Eats

1234568»

• joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haha, well, maybe I should start chilli-doping her food. The problem is, I can't tell how much is in it with my dulled taste buds, so im more than likely just going to get into trouble. Alas!

joshua1 on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Don't you love it when you try a new recipe and it turns out great?

My sister (for Christmas) got me this cookbook that's pretty good, called Blue Ginger. Anyway, I won't post the whole recipe because I don't know if it'll be bad for copyright reasons or whatever.

But braised pork with a Chinese-style salad. Yum. The pork is braised in a five-spice kind of stock. The salad involves mint, coriander, chinese cabbage and bean sprouts, with some other stuff. The sauce is mostly hoi sin with some honey and soy sauce etc.

The result? The pork tastes great. The salad, well, only average. But when you mix the pork around with the salad and the sauce? Yes.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    After reading through this thread I felt inspired to try cooking something on my own for once. I managed to make a chilli that everyone said was really nice. Perhaps I made it wrong but I didnt enjoy it all that much as it essentially was like a Hungarian goulash.

Hocky27 on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For all the Dinner: Impossible Fans out there:
    Robert Irvine's tales are difficult to verify.

Here is what is known:

He is an excellent chef.

He is the star of Dinner: Impossible, a hit show in its second season on the Food Network.

HarperCollins published his cookbook and biography, Mission: Cook!, in 2007.

He lives in Abescon, N.J., in a modestly priced house with his wife and two children.

Beyond that, it's hard to separate truth from fiction.

Reached on the phone, Irvine said he only had a few minutes. He said he was angry.

Irvine's bio on his own Web page lists a B.S. degree in food and nutrition from the University of Leeds.

True?

"That was a program set up through the Royal Navy," Irvine said. Then he paused. "We don't call it a bachelor's of science."

Sarah Spiller, a press officer at the University of Leeds: "We cannot find any connection in our records between Robert and the university."

Irvine claims in his book to have worked on the wedding cake for Prince Charles and Princess Diana, a claim he repeated to a number of locals.

"It was an English fruitcake that weighed over 360 pounds," he told the Toronto Sun. "I worked on these elaborate side panels, which told the history of the royal Windsor and Spencer families - in icing!"

True?

"I was at the school when that was happening," he said. "They made the cake at the school where I was."

Did he help make it?

"Picking fruit and things like that."

And his table manners?

"I have never berated a chef in my life," Irvine said. "If somebody asked me what you liked and what you didn't like, I'd tell them. Not to belittle anybody, but to make it better."

What about that knighthood?

Jenn Stebbing, press officer at Buckingham Palace: "He is not a KCVO Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order and he wasn't given a castle by the queen of England."

Irvine admits that.

"When I first came down there and I met people down there with all this money, it was like trying to keep up with the Joneses. I was sitting in a bar one night and that came out. It was stupid."

He said he tried to stop the story from spreading.

Nevertheless, Irvine's restaurant designer, Paul Guillaume says Irvine asked him to create a shadow box to display his royal uniform, which looked like a Three Musketeers costume.

Irvine's resume notes he has received a Five Star Diamond Award (not to be confused with AAA's five diamonds or Mobil's five stars) from the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences for several consecutive years. But as Radar magazine pointed out last year, the "academy" is housed in a Manhattan apartment, and recipients pay for the honor.

As a trustee of the award, Irvine has given out several. He tried to award one to Walter Scheib, the White House executive chef from 1994 to 2005. Scheib refused.

"His award seems to be available to anyone willing to post it on the wall," Scheib wrote in an e-mail to the Times.

Irvine has been identified in several newspapers as a White House chef.

Scheib: "Irvine's ONLY connection with the White House is through the Navy Mess facility in the West Wing ... never in the period from 4/4/94 until 2/4/05 did he have ANYTHING to do with the preparation, planning, or service of any State Dinner or any other White House Executive Residence food function, public or private."

Asked to explain, Irvine said he trained military cooks at the White House.

Did he also serve presidents and heads of state, as several of his bios note?

"I cannot talk about that," he said. "I can't talk about it because it's the White House."

He is not friends with Prince Charles.

Wow.

Schrodinger on
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Love the Good Eats. That show pretty much single-handedly made me want to be a better cook.

In college my roommate and I had a major crush on the original Iron Chef. Morimoto forever!

There is a serious lack of recipe sharing in this thread. I will help to alleviate:

Lentil and Rice Soup
    This Lent we’ve been trying to mix up our Friday meals and get beyond the usual fish options. This soup is hearty and earthy; even my wife, who is not predisposed to legumes, enjoyed it.

1. Rinse 1 cup of lentils and and cook for 45 minutes in 2qts of water with one onion and one stalk of celery, both sliced.
    2. Remove the onion (retain) and the celery (discard). In a large soup pot, saute the onion with 2 cloves of minced garlic. Once the onion starts to turn golden add one 8oz can of tomato sauce; cook 2-3 minutes.
    3. Add two big handfuls of spinach, then the lentils and broth. Bring to a boil.
    4. Add 1 cup of short-grained rice, cover and cook (stirring occasionally) until done, about 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately with crusty rolls and a salad.

Lemon-Pepper Tuna Steak and Asparagus
    People tend to be down on fish, but this tuna dish is surprisingly hearty and really hits the spot on a cold night.

1. Pre-heat oven to 375.
    2. Cook three pieces of bacon; drain, chop and set aside (this can easily be done at breakfast).
    3. Coat both sides of two tuna steaks with lemon pepper; drizzle each side with extra-virgin olive oil and set aside.
    4. Heat a deep oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Sear one side of the tuna steaks (3-4 minutes) and turn. Cook 3-4 more minutes, then cover and place in oven. Cook 10 minutes.
    5. Add 10-15 stalks of asparagus in skillet with a pat of butter and sprinkle with bacon. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes or until tuna is done.
    6. Remove and serve with brown rice and mushrooms.

Spinach Pie
    This may finally be the dish that beats out chicken piccata in my son’s book. It makes a mean side dish but also stands on its own as the main event. This makes quite a bit and can easily be halved with a smaller casserole dish. Of course, leftovers are good, too.

1. Preheat your oven to 375. Roughly chop 2lbs of fresh spinach and toss it in a dutch oven, covered, over medium-low heat; mix occasionally until just starting to wilt. Set aside.
    2. Saute an onion, diced well, in olive oil. Once translucent add 3 tbls minced garlic and 1 tsp each of chopped oregano and basil. Saute for another 2 minutes then remove the onions, reserving the remaining oil mixture.
    3. Mix the onions with 16oz cottage cheese (drained), 2 cups feta cheese (crumbled), 2 eggs and fresh pepper; mix in spinach.
    4. Grease the bottom of a 9×13×2 baking pan with the reserved oil then lay in one sheet of puffed pastry (rolled out so that it is large enough to come up the sides). Evenly spoon in the spinach and cheese mixture, then place a second puffed pastry sheet on top.
    5. Brush with remaining oil and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.

Mom's Lemon Bread
    My mom's own recipe. This stuff is so easy and so good, it’s more like cake than bread. Goes great with strawberries and some fresh whipped cream.

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour*; 1 cup sugar; 1 tsp each of baking powder and salt; and the zest of one lemon.
    2. Add 1/2 cup milk, 1/3 cup butter and 2 eggs; stir just until well mixed. Pour into a 9×5×3 greased loaf pan and bake 45-50 minutes.
    3. Remove from oven and place on wire rack (do not remove from loaf pan).
    4. Combine the juice of one lemon and 1/4 cup sugar; pour over hot bread. Let bread cool in the pan.

*Around our house we use equal amounts of whole wheat flour and the all-purpose variety. It looks a little darker but tastes just as good.

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    RE: Irvine

Whatever. He had a good show and Food Network had a good thing going there. Oh well, I guess.

Satan. on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Food Network is run by an army of muppets.

First they had that Next Food Network Star gaffe with that Jag motherfucker and his resume. Now they did the same thing with Irvine. And frankly, I always had a hard time believing Irvine did all those things he's said he's done. I would've expected him to appear on Food Network much longer ago if he really cooked for ABUNCHOFPRESIDENTSI'MAKNIGHTANDOHYEAHTHEKINGANDQUEENANDDIANA. Like on Iron Chef America or something.

That said, I liked his show, but now that this has come out, I'm finding myself annoyed by his berating of other people below him. Especially that one Barry guy. He always said he was proud of the guy and thought he was a great chef in the voiceovers, but then on the show he turns around and, "OH BARRY! YOU DUMB SHIT, WHY'D YOU PUT THE SALMON UPSIDE DOWN!?"

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    If the only reason Food Network hired him in the first place was because he did two things, they're stupid. I still think their management is extremely stupid. But I also think there's something coming down the pipes - they've stopped making new Emeril Live shows and they only recently got Alton to sign a new two-year contract. Yeah, two year.

I think Irvine is definitely a great cook, and I'm pretty sure he pissed -someone- off at FN so they had someone vet his resume. Clearly he's quite capable of doing his job. There's probably shit like that on Flay's resume too.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2008
    Emril is off-contract with Food Network now. He wanted too mcuh money, supposedly. I'm not entirely sure what's going on there but it seems pretty poorly run. No one wants to sponsor their HD channel, as each commercial break has a couple of PSAs in it.

Satan. on
    edited March 2008
    I think what's happening is the Food Network a while ago was the -only- channel with popular cooking shows.

Now cooking and cooks and cooking shows have made a comeback and broken out of the "only on public television" shell, FN no longer has the clout to make a chef's TV career. They lost Bourdain to the Travel Channel and his show is doing much better on there. They lost Tyler Florence to Applebees and he's only recently has a new show again. They're probably going to lose Rachel Ray to her talk show, but I think Food Network wins on that one. I mean, all her new show is, is just clips from 40$ A Day.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I think what's happening is the Food Network a while ago was the -only- channel with popular cooking shows.

Now cooking and cooks and cooking shows have made a comeback and broken out of the "only on public television" shell, FN no longer has the clout to make a chef's TV career. They lost Bourdain to the Travel Channel and his show is doing much better on there. They lost Tyler Florence to Applebees and he's only recently has a new show again. They're probably going to lose Rachel Ray to her talk show, but I think Food Network wins on that one. I mean, all her new show is, is just clips from 40$ A Day.
    People still watch Rachel Ray, though. Even if it's essentially a clip show (haven't seen it).

Satan. on
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

People still watch Rachel Ray, though. Even if it's essentially a clip show (haven't seen it).

I think her grating voice just dulls people to the point that they can't change the channel.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2008

I think her grating voice just dulls people to the point that they can't change the channel.

I know the internet has a lot of hate for her but I don't mind her at all. Her annoying little abbreviations get to me sometimes, but I can overlook it.

That, and I think she's hot.

Satan. on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I sometimes leave the TV on when she's on just to make fun of her recently horrible recipes and weird-ass mannerisms. She's really gotten manic over the past couple years.

Sandra Lee is another that is hilarious to watch to see what wacky food she makes today. Can anyone believe that woman, who makes a majority of her recipes out of pre-packaged supermarket food, has a television show?

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Until last weekend, I had no idea that Dr. Pepper is a good cooking liquid for making slow cooker BBQ pulled pork.

Chalk one up for the internet.

4 lbs boneless pork butt cut into 2-inch cubes
    1 white onion, diced (in retrospect, should have sliced larger chunks)
    1 12-oz can Dr. Pepper

Onions go in cooker first, use them to make a bed. Throw the meat over the onions, then pour the Dr. Pepper over the whole thing. Set to low and walk away for 6 hours. Come back, drain liquids, shred the pork and then throw it all back into the slow cooker, mixing in a bottle of Gates BBQ sauce. Serve on onion buns.

SO FUCKING GOOD

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited March 2008
    Omeks wrote: »

I sometimes leave the TV on when she's on just to make fun of her recently horrible recipes and weird-ass mannerisms. She's really gotten manic over the past couple years.

Sandra Lee is another that is hilarious to watch to see what wacky food she makes today. Can anyone believe that woman, who makes a majority of her recipes out of pre-packaged supermarket food, has a television show?

We have a game when watching Rachel Ray shows, especially 40$.

You see, we try to predict how drunk she'll be by the end of the show. It's somehow a drinking game in reverse - 0 to alchohol in five minutes? High score! Totally tipsy and unaware of reality by the end of the show? Now it's a comedy show.

FyreWulff on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I started watching Good Eats, going back to the first episode and working my way forward. I caught an episode a long time ago about the Burger of the Gods and I enjoyed it.

Got myself a cast iron skillet and some ribeye steaks and pan seared the shit out of them. It was absolutely delicious. The only drawback is that if you live in a small apt such as mine, you really need to disable the smoke alarm as the searing smokes up the place in no time flat. Thank goodness the searing only lasts a minute.

I love how he's against recipes and actually explains why things happen the way they do.

I'm only on the 2nd episode about potatoes, but tomorrow I'll be making some his garlic mashers

VoodooV on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008

I know the internet has a lot of hate for her but I don't mind her at all. Her annoying little abbreviations get to me sometimes, but I can overlook it.

Ew.
    rachael-ray.jpg

Medopine on
    edited March 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Ew.
    rachael-ray.jpg

HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THAT BEFORE

Satan. on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I dunno it's like the most famous picture of her evar. :P

(Don't wear it out).

Medopine on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I only read the OP, but I gotta' agree that I love Alton Brown. He comes across as so friendly I thought Good Eats was a Canadian show until I saw the other show where he rides motorbikes across the States eating at road houses.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my recipe for awesome meatballs. It's a variation on the one listed in Joy of Cooking.

Implements:
    1 big bowl for mixin'
    1 flat surface for placing uncooked balls
    1 nice big frying pan
    1 fork for turnin'
    1 stove top
    1 oven set to 350
    1 oven-safe two-to-three inch deep lasagna-pan-type thing.
    Tin foil
    Wax paper
    Some pasta sauce. Could make your own - I use Hunt's, 'cause it's not bad. I've found two cans covers what I need.

Ingredients:
    -1/3-1/2 lb ground beef.
    -about the same amount of lean pork.
    -two bread slices (or one inch-thick piece)
    -one egg.
    -a pinch of salt.
    -1/4-1/2 cup of finely chopped onion.
    -a dash of paprika.
    -at least 3 heaped tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
    -a good dose of oregano.
    -two big heaping spoonfuls of dijon mustard.
    Amounts don't matter that much, I generally do it all by channeling the Force.

Preheat the oven to 350.

First off, carmelize those onions. Add a dash of salt and pepper, mix 'em around and don't take them off the heat 'till they're mostly golden and even a little black. While that's happening, toast your bread (these two steps = big returns on flavor). Put the bread slices in a bowl and cover with water.

I don't get ground pork, but we usually have tenderloins hanging out in the freezer. Generally I'll take a half of one of those (a third-to-half a pound) and chop the holy shit out of it until it's basically ground. If there's a piece bigger than half a centimeter in any direction, it's too big. Adding pork is another thing that can't be underestimated in these 'balls.

Squeeze the water out of your bread slices, and combine everything in a big bowl. Use your hands to get in there and make sure the bread and meat is really mixed together. There's bound to be a little hunk of bread here and there but just do your best - and seriously, don't be sqeamish about the dijon. It turned these 'balls from 'eh, they're meatballs all right' into 'damn these are some meatballs!'.

Then, get yourself a nice large surface and a sheaf of wax paper. Start rollin' your balls. I like no bigger than an inch across, it works for me and mine. While you're rolling your first batch (I usually do about 12 at a time) melt some butter over medium-high heat in a good pan on the stove. My pan holds 11-12 at a time.

Drop the balls into your lovely melted butter and brown 'em off. When they're on the first side, I find I have time to roll another six balls. Then take some tongs (I found using a long fork gets the job done better) and turn them onto the other side. If they're a nice dark brown on the cooking side, you're doing your job well. Don't skip this step - that browning = flavor!

Roll another five or so balls and pluck your balls from the pan, placing them in your oven-safe baking dish. I use a fairly large one - about ten inches by sixteen or so. Usually I'll place a light layer of sauce in the bottom of the dish, but I really have no reason to do this other than an unexplained compulsion.

Repeat your rollin' and brownin' until all balls have been sufficiently flavorized. Cover all your balls with the remaining sauce, seal the top well with tin foil and toss 'em in the oven. I recommend at least 45 minutes to make sure they're heated all the way through, but if you're unsure about their doneness, pull out a big one and split it down the middle. Now is an excellent time to taste the fruit of your labors.

With the foil on it's pretty much impossible to burn this while it's in the oven, so throw your water on to boil, get your spaghetti rollin' and pull the sauce and meatballs out of the oven when you're ready to sup.

I have one or two recipes that aren't-too-bad and seem to impress the ladies, but in my personal opinion these meatballs are the most delicious things I've ever made. If you're not vegetarian or vegan and are inclined to cook, give 'em a shot! Seriously - dijon mustard.

Am I the only one impressed I got through that whole thing without a double-entendre about 'my balls'?

Edit: This recipe makes enough to feed at least five people.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid