As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seattle Sightseeing

MrDigitalMrDigital Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
OK, I looked through the first couple pages and didn't see anything like this yet, so don't yell if I missed it.

Since I've never been to Seattle before I am staying until the next Wednesday after PAX so I will have two full days to see shit up there. Didn't know if anybody else was doing the same thing and maybe a group of us would want to travel around together to see stuff.

I've already bought what's called a Seattle CityPass which gets me into all kinds of stuff. http://citypass.com/cgi-bin/citypass/city_fly?mv_arg=seattle&rand=5913 for actual info.

I haven't made plans for anything ELSE because I don't have a clue how long those 6 things will take me.

I have a compact rental care, whatever the hell that will end up being. Anyway, just figured I'd mention something if there were others who wanted to see stuff besides bars and jail cells in Seattle :P

mrdigital.png
MrDigital.jpg
MrDigital on

• Options
    SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I thought about doing some sightseeing, perhaps barge into Nintendo of America's H.Q. and demand a full tour.
    What?
    I put their children through college. They owe me!

There's also that.. um.. experience.. music experience... whatever, they've got quite a few Jimi Hendrix guitars on display. I'd like to see that. Then there's the obligatory photo of the space needle.

On a completely unrelated topic; Seattle is considered to be the serial murderer capital of America. Which explains the city's motto: "Beautiful Seattle... watch your fucking back!"

SnowGhost on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    That CityPass thing looks fairly interesting. Since school for me starts on September 1st, I figured I'd do all my sight-seeing on the 27th.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    The EMP is kind of bleh. But if you're geeky enough (*grin*) you may enjoy the new SciFi museum that's attached to it. I think it's done by now?

Pike Place Market is always good to hit up if you've never been there... if anything good is playing at the Cinerama, it's one hell of a theater. I hear the zoo is damn cool (never been), but beyond those things (and the Fremont Troll, which is kind of far away for what you get out of it), I can't think of any really touristy type stuff there.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    The EMP is kind of bleh. But if you're geeky enough (*grin*) you may enjoy the new SciFi museum that's attached to it. I think it's done by now?

Pike Place Market is always good to hit up if you've never been there... if anything good is playing at the Cinerama, it's one hell of a theater. I hear the zoo is damn cool (never been), but beyond those things (and the Fremont Troll, which is kind of far away for what you get out of it), I can't think of any really touristy type stuff there.

Yeah, the Pike Place Market is a must-go. Too bad PAX takes up the entire weekend, since that is the best time to go. You can see the original Starbucks location!
    http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/

The Seattle Aquarium is great, but if you are from a coast, you've probably seen it all before.
    http://www.seattleaquarium.org/

The Space Needle is cool to look at, but it's really just a tourist trap.

You'll be missing Bumbershoot, Seattle's biggest music festival, by 4 days or so. :(
    http://www.bumbershoot.com/lineup.htm

Boeing does public tours of its airframe assembly plants. Want to see the biggest building in the world? It's very weird to see partially/fully built jumbo jets indoors.
    http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/aboutus/tours/index.html

Go for a ferry ride. If you've never done it before, it's pretty cheap and a very unique experience. I think it's around $6.00 for a two-way ticket.
    I suggest the Bainbridge Island route.
    http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/index.cfm

The Mariners are on away games for that week. :(

The Museum of Flight is pretty cool.

I haven't been to the Experience Music Project, I've heard it's not that great unless you are really into music.

You could go harrass Valve Software, too. ;)

Doc on
  • Options
    Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    EMP is alright. Depends a lot on what they're showing. I went during the Disco display, and it was pretty fun.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    SarahStilettoSarahStiletto Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    *Shameless Plug*

The city pass is pretty cool. If you use it for all of the sites it gets you into, it's ridiculously cheap. One of the things it lets you do is an Argosy Cruises Harbor tour. That's the company I work for. Come see me.

The sci-fi museum is supposed to be awesome, it opened last month and I haven't had a chance to go yet. The zoo and aquarium are both great. Seattle Art Museum has a Van Gogh exhibit until September. Pike Place Market is a rad place to hang out, as is most of the central waterfront. Pioneer Square and the underground tour are fun. There's all kinds of stuff to do in Seattle. It doesn't have the reputation of being a tourist destination, but it should. There's just as much to do there as any other city.

SarahStiletto on
  • Options
    Seth410Seth410 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    A trip to the new Sci-Fi museum is definitely in order for this proud geek.

Also I want to go to the fish market and see if they really throw big fish around like on those commercial bumps during Seahawks games.

Seth410 on
    Member of Room 520 (04)/512 (05) ...and then some other rooms in 06 and 07, I lost track.
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Seth410 wrote:
    Also I want to go to the fish market and see if they really throw big fish around like on those commercial bumps during Seahawks games.

They do. :^:

Doc on
  • Options
    Seth410Seth410 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    NEAT!

Seth410 on
    Member of Room 520 (04)/512 (05) ...and then some other rooms in 06 and 07, I lost track.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    Pike Place Market is indeed way awesome.

There's this one food place that makes the best little chicken strip thingies ever.

Also, there is Uwajimaya.

And much love for the Megas XLR avatar there, Seth. New episodes start this saturday!

I'm always happy when Sarah posts because it makes me think of Harley.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    What, Geek, like this?

Um, if you eat in the market, go to the Three Girls Bakery. They make the most amazing bread in the world and on that bread they make the best sandwiches ever. Ever.

SarahStiletto on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Oh no, not the Fish market... I've had to see their damn video about having fun at work in God knows how many jobs that I've worked at... ugh!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DrakenulDrakenul Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I'm up for a little sightseeing on the 27th and 30th. I'll be flying in early (arriving about 11 AM) so I have virtually all day, and I'm flying out late (10:35 pm).

Drakenul on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Oh god, I hate hate HATE that fucking video! Seen it twice.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    Evil Right Wing HenchmanEvil Right Wing Henchman Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Go to Ivars

Evil Right Wing Henchman on
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    SnowGhost wrote:
    I thought about doing some sightseeing, perhaps barge into Nintendo of America's H.Q. and demand a full tour.
    What?
    I put their children through college. They owe me!

If ANYONE is making a trip to Nintendo let me know. I would like to take a couple of hours to go out there. I of course don't have wheels but I do have gas money, I might have two friends who want to go. I also will only be there Sat and Sun so if your going on an off day I won't be there.

terrix on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    Hello? PAers on the Space Needle?

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    It turns out, me and my friends might be pitching in for a rental car, maybe we won't need a ride. But could give someone else one.

terrix on
  • Options
    Evil Right Wing HenchmanEvil Right Wing Henchman Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Space Needle is extremely expensive and not worth it.

Evil Right Wing Henchman on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    The best view of the city is actually in the top floor of the Bank of America tower. In the women's bathroom.

Ask the doorman to let you in. He will.

SarahStiletto on
  • Options
    tristamtristam Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    If you want to take a small trip, roll up to the tacoma glass museum. Its pretty nifty and they have a building attached to it where they make glass art right before your eyes, pretty cool.

tristam on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    The best view of the city is actually in the top floor of the Bank of America tower. In the women's bathroom.

Ask the doorman to let you in. He will.
    :lol: You're awesome.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Space Needle is extremely expensive and not worth it.

Agreed.

Edit: I would definately have to second the Ivar's idea. Best fish and chips and clam chowder on the west coast.

Doc on
  • Options
    Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Gents, since I'm practically a resident of Seattle, I'd gladly give y'all a tour of the city, but given that I don't have a car or anything like that, I can only recommend a few places to check out.

The waterfront, definitely a must. You might even see a cruise ship docked there. That thing wasn't there before last time I checked five years ago.

There's the Russian Cobra Submarine permanently docked at one of the piers further south. Definitely worth touring. Though I only went into the bow section and immediately didn't want to go in any further. I hate cramped, quiet, creepy places.

It's also worth checking out Union Station, that's a real piece of railroad history.

Pike Place Market? Definitely a must.

Oh yes, there's a Gameworks arcade up the road from PPM, I go there occasionally to play racing sims, shoot up zombies in House of the Dead III, and play Virtual-On: Ontario Tangram.

There's also an adult peep show on that road, too, easy to miss though.

Experience Music Software is nice as well, plenty of history on rock.

I haven't been to the Sci-Fi Museum, but also a must.

Hell. If you've got a week, just walk all over every damn square foot of Seattle, and you'll still haven't seen everything.

Kato_Arabel on
  • Options
    Kingfisher12Kingfisher12 Registered User new member
    edited August 2004
    I also recommend Alki Beach. It'll likely be quite crowded, but the boardwalk is very nice. (if memory serves, the 'scenery' is very nice as well).

Seattle centre (space needle, EMP, seattle science centre) is a nice place for an afternoon. Frankly I found downtown pretty boring.

Less well known sights, you could go see the Freemont Troll, under the Fremont (4th Ave N.) Bridge. I assume it's still there. Also, if you're in that neigborhood, Green Lake is a nice place to just sit on the grass and eat lunch (and again, watch the 'scenery')

Dammit, I wish I could go back there, maybe this winter, I can get away...

Kingfisher12 on
    There needs to be a better word for weird