As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Search Limitations

lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
So as it stands, you cannot search with keywords less the 4 characters long. That makes sense, but would it be possible to relax that if a few cases that are important around here say:

Wii
PS3
PSP
DS

Obviously if it was a lot of work it wouldn't be worth it, but I think it would make a lot of searches easier.

steam_sig.png
(Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
lowlylowlycook on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2008
    Searching for any of those would return so many results as to be basically worthless anyway.

Tube on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Searching for any of those would return so many results as to be basically worthless anyway.

I assume he means that you cannot use it as a supplemental or limiting keyword. So if I wanted to find a post where someone was simultaneously talking about me and the Wii I could not do so by plugging "drez wii" into a keyword search. Having "wii" in the keyword search at all yields an error.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the search works. It's defaulted to search for "all terms," right?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    lol egosearching

seriously though, the search rapes the servers enough with a 4 character minimum, a 3 character minimum would increase the raping exponentially.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    lol egosearching

seriously though, the search rapes the servers enough with a 4 character minimum, a 3 character minimum would increase the raping exponentially.
    But aren't we all about the brutal rape of technology around here?

Satan. on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Yes, but only when it's the brutal rape of technology we don't have to use regularly.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Drez wrote: »

I assume he means that you cannot use it as a supplemental or limiting keyword. So if I wanted to find a post where someone was simultaneously talking about me and the Wii I could not do so by plugging "drez wii" into a keyword search. Having "wii" in the keyword search at all yields an error.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the search works. It's defaulted to search for "all terms," right?

This is what I had in mind. But now that I think about it, this does start down a slippery slope, i.e. why not allow rpg ...

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

This is what I had in mind. But now that I think about it, this does start down a slippery slope, i.e. why not allow rpg ...

Or "rap" or "pro" or "cat" or "hat" or "egg"?

Right now, you cannot search for "the cat in the hat" which is kind of depressing.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Or "rap" or "pro" or "cat" or "hat" or "egg"?

Right now, you cannot search for "the cat in the hat" which is kind of depressing.

This should be the test of any search engine.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

The only time this would be useful would be for searching thread titles. Maybe this would cut down on "Recommend me some Wii/PS3/360 games" threads, although probably not.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    To whom it may concern;

Putting a wildcard (*) anywhere in the search term gives you a 'less than four' error. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Pretty sure that was disabled by Ramius a while ago.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i dont think it was particularly disabled; i've seen is as a standard on pretty much every vBulletin I've visited.

We didn't have it before, but that's because we weren't on vBulletin.

Deusfaux on