As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Various Diablo II multiplayer/character questions

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My fiancee and I live about 300 miles away from each other. I visit her roughly once every 2 weeks, and this weekend will be one of those times. I'm bringing up my old PC so we can do some multiplayer PC gaming. One game we'd both like to play is Diablo II. We both have the full game and expansion, so that's all taken care of. What I'd like to know is:

1. If I create an offline character on my PC at her place, will it be possible for me to transfer it to my PC at my place somehow? I took a quick look at the Diablo II directory and saw the "Save" folder. Would it work for me to simply copy that character information and take it with me from one PC to the other?

2. I could probably avoid having to do any of that by playing on closed battle.net, so the characters are stored on Blizzard's servers. However, aren't there issues with trying to play the game over battle.net with two or more players behind the same router? And if so, is there anything I can do about it?

We're both pretty big Diablo II newbs (I know, I know...), and we'd like to play through the game for once instead of making it to Act II and quitting like we've done over the last 3 years.

SteevL on

• Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Copying the save folder will work just fine. Its how i used to 'dupe' items when i played singleplayer and was experimenting with builds, until i discovered ATMA.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't actually tried playing with two players behind a router, but I think as long as you each have a unique CD key, you should be ok. The issue you're talking about seems like it would be more of something that would arise when someone uses one disk to install the game on two PCs and then can't play online.

Taximes on
  • Options
    PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I play Diablo 2 on closed BNet all the time with my brother, and we share a DSL connection over a router. You do have to have different CD keys for both the original and the expansion (if applicable).

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Excellent. We both do have separate CD keys, so that should be no problem.

SteevL on