As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

House Of The Dead 2 & 3 for Wii - It's out! ... Now try and find a copy

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One-liners are a crucial part of any good zombie game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey Deadhead

tim.gif

Take a bite o' peach.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Simon Pegg is my favorite actor of all time. Fuck you Bruce Willis!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So does anyone know if this is any good? I want to buy it, but I'm not sure how the game is... Is the aiming like Ghost Squad, or is it like Umbrella Chronicles?

urahonky on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's gotten pretty mediocre reviews. HotD2 is a good port while 3 suffers a bit. As for extras, don't count on it.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just bought this.

I haven't played it yet. But reviews say that it supports calibration for 1:1 aiming like Ghost Squad, which is what I anticipated. Good news on that front.

I'll be able to check this out later today but the reviews I've read seem retarded for the most part.

What you're getting are straight arcade ports of HOTD 2 and 3 and 1:1 wii remote calibration. Nothing less, and a few miniscule minigame type things or something negligible like that.

HOTD supposedly "suffers" in some small negligible ways too, but I'll be seeing for myself later tonight.

I'll post my impressions.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think I'll buy it anyway. My friend's coming up from Florida, and we love lightgun games (played HotD2 on the DC to death!) so I'm sure it wont be a problem. I was worried about how the controls would be.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Didn't the XBox version of HotD3 have an absolute ton of special features? It's been a long time since I played it, but once you unlocked HotD2, I thought you could unlock a bunch of different items, and then use them on your playthrough to modify the gameplay and such (ie. gives you a different weapon, different amounts of lives, extra ammo capacity, alternate costumes, big head mode, etc.).
    Any of that make it into this port, or was it thrown out since they are "straight arcade ports" ?

Lars on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I think I'll buy it anyway. My friend's coming up from Florida, and we love lightgun games (played HotD2 on the DC to death!) so I'm sure it wont be a problem. I was worried about how the controls would be.

The IGN review essentially says the game control is spectacular, but it's a direct-transfer of a port with virtually nothing added.
    Aside from the new Extreme Mode, House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return isn't as robust as SEGA's Ghost Squad offering on Wii, and anyone expecting even that level of detail and depth into the package is going to end up disappointed. What House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return does accomplish, however, is the offering of the strongest Wii IR we've seen in a gun game thus far, as the cursor is quick and responsive, and the IR calibration sights the Wii remotes in perfectly. For some reason we've yet to see other companies (Nintendo included) put in an advanced calibration mode for the Wii remote in any game, and for a while we assumed it was just too complex to do in general. House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return proves that it isn't a matter of technical limitations, but just a lack of attention to detail, as a quick shot in the corner of the screen instantly syncs the Wii remote's pointer perfectly with the intended position on the TV. You can even do it mid-game for either player. Return might not be an award-winning port package due to a lack of depth and a few technical issues in HotD3, but it'll go down in Wii history as the first IR game that got it right. Kudos, SEGA, the standard has been set.

Which sounds awesome to me. Control is really the only thing I care about with a game like this! Once I get some more funds I'm most definitely getting at least one light-gunner between HOTD, Ghost Squad and RE:UC, if not two or, hell, all three.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've just played through the first two chapters of HOTD3, and so far I can say this:

The control is perfect, it works just like Ghost Squad.

Secondly, I haven't noticed a single performance issue at all. Not a single drop in the perfectly smooth framerate.

What I can say is that in addition to being an arcade perfect port, they have added force feedback and gun reloading sounds to the wiimote speaker.

You can adjust difficulty and lives options, too.

Other than that, I am working my way through the Arcade mode, so I"ll let you know if there are any technical issues if there are any - since I have not had a single performance issue yet at all. I'll also check to see if there are any extra / special features. I know there are some, but the reviews didn't go into much detail about them.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Last time I played any HotD was around 1997, so this might be a buy if I can find it for cheap in the future. I'm thinking Ghost Squad is a bit more worth its weight.

I really wish Sega would throw some money at the Wii and either give us a nice pack of ports (Virtua Cop II anyone?), put them on the VC/WiiWare or hell, make us a completely new rail shooter.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The forcefeedback is not just for gunshots and stuff but for any general force in the game. Like shakey elevators and being attacked and stuff.

The graphics are decent, they're exactly what you'd expect. Not terrible but not impressive. The art style makes up for a lot of it, as does the smoothness of the frame rate (again, haven't run into any technical/performance issues yet). The art style is a kind of an exaggerated look, sort of like TimeSplitters 2. The sounds are all good, so is the music. The voice acting is traditionally bad, but I've heard far worse; it's about on par with Ghost Squad, but with a lot more 'story' bits.

HOTD3 isn't so hard a game so far, but that may be because I've majorly sharpened my shooting skills in Link's CBT, Resi Umbrella Chronicles, and Ghost Squad already. So far I've been shooting B, A, and S ranks.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A nice pack of Virtua Cops would be awesome. I'd really like a new rail shooter, too, though. It wouldn't be that much trouble, considering that they don't need to develop and manufacture a separate peripheral.

As far as HOTD so far, man, I'm good at this game. I think GS and RE:UC really turned me into an awesome lightgun player.

If anyone is concerned with controls, I can assure you this -- the controls in this game are spot-on and work wonderfully.

slash000 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Reviews are calling this a lazy port cash-in with less features and extras than the exact same 2 game package that came out half a decade ago for the Xbox, which is exactly what it is. I mean hell they didn't even bother to include widescreen support. This is really disappointing, boo SEGA i say, boo! This should have been a whole lot better, It would have been an instant purchase if HoTD 1 was part of the package.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OK, just beat HOTD3, taking only the left-most branching paths.

During gameplay, I never experienced any technical issues. The worst thing I saw was a minor slip in framerate during a couple of cutscenes, but even that I would not have noticed unless I were specifically looking for it (which I have been, since reading that IGN review).

So basically, I consider any 'technical issues' to be completely negligible.

This game is awesome. I look forward to getting more S Ranks and seeing what there is to unlock.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    A nice pack of Virtua Cops would be awesome. I'd really like a new rail shooter, too, though. It wouldn't be that much trouble, considering that they don't need to develop and manufacture a separate peripheral.

As far as HOTD so far, man, I'm good at this game. I think GS and RE:UC really turned me into an awesome lightgun player.

If anyone is concerned with controls, I can assure you this -- the controls in this game are spot-on and work wonderfully.

Slash, between the three light-gun games you mention (GS, RE:UC and this), is there one you'd recommend for someone who's never played any of them? I'm interested in grabbing one or two at some point but they all seem the same to me. Note that I have no particular allegiance to RE as a series so any of the fanservice would likely be lost on me.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Reviews are calling this a lazy port cash-in with less features and extras than the exact same 2 game package that came out half a decade ago for the Xbox, which is exactly what it is. I mean hell they didn't even bother to include widescreen support. This is really disappointing, boo SEGA i say, boo! This should have been a whole lot better, It would have been an instant purchase if HoTD 1 was part of the package.

Meh. I consider this two games, $15 a piece, without having to buy a lightgun to go with it. And without having to go out and buy an xbox or a dreamcast and the respective peripherals to play it. This is two good lightgun shooters for a current system for essentially a budget price that don't require extra peripherals.

The games are perfect ports with excellent control. There are a few extras in the games but I consider that icing on the cake.

Ghost Squad was more effort, too, but it also was a single game for $30 rather than two. Anyway, I think both games (HOTD2+3, and Ghost Squad) are worthwhile for arcade lightgun fans.

Ghost Squad definitely offers more as a single game than HOTD2 or HOTD3 by itself, though, what with all the unlockable guns, unlockable costumes, scoring system, variety of progressively unlocking branching paths and difficulties, online leaderboard, and party mode(s).

Anyway. I'm really enjoying lightgun shooters on the Wii. I don't think I'll bother with Target Terror, though; now that is what I might call a piece of shit.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

Slash, between the three light-gun games you mention (GS, RE:UC and this), is there one you'd recommend for someone who's never played any of them? I'm interested in grabbing one or two at some point but they all seem the same to me. Note that I have no particular allegiance to RE as a series so any of the fanservice would likely be lost on me.

Well, to sum it up, Ghost Squad and HOTD2+3 focus on traditional, fast-paced lightgun action with short playthroughs, with replay focused on getting better ranks/scores with fewer lives and trying different paths. Resi Umbrella Chronicles is slower paced, has a lot more content (on single playthroughs and unlockable), more depth to the weapons system, and has a 'survival horror' atmosphere and gameplay influence.

So if there are 2 lightgun shooters to pick up for the Wii, I'd recommend getting RE:UC and Ghost Squad, because they represent the best iterations of two very different gameplay types on the Wii. Just remember that RE:UC is $50 and GS is cheaper at $30.

For some in depth descriptions of each of these games, I wrote these up:

Umbrella Chronicles -
    Umbrella Chronicles is a very different take on gameplay for a lightgun shooter. It's much slower paced, and has a lot more depth than the other games in this genre. It has a classic Resident Evil, survival horror atmosphere to it as well, which is pretty impressive given the nature of the genre. The game moves slower, but you still have to be precise with your shots for three reasons. One, you have to conserve ammo (in traditional RE style) for your special guns, because only the pistol is unlimited. Second, enemies have very small and precise Critical Hit areas, so steady, accurate shots are preferred to gun-blazing. Third, the game Ranks your success on each level, part of which is based on both Time, # of kills, and # of Critical Hits - and increased Ranks on levels unlocks more levels and more bonus content.

With weaponry, you're given an unlimited pistol, but you get to take a secondary weapon with you of your choice as you begin the mission. The secondary weapons vary in subcategories of 4 or five weapons types; like 3 types of submachine guns, 3 types of shotguns, 3 different types of rocket launchers, etc. Once you choose your secondary weapon, you have limited ammo to use it in the level. So you have to choose your shots with yoru secondary weapon well. This adds depth and strategy to the levels, because you have to choose whether to take out areas of enemies with your slow, low-powered pistol or use your shotgun and risk running out of ammo later. There is a ton of strategy for bosses, too -- these bosses have patterns and specific weak points during various stages of their attack patterns. So having good weapons for good situations with enough ammo is part of the boss strategy. Sometimes the boss strategies aren't obvious, either; so it takes some thinking to figure out a good combo of primary/secondary weapons and when and where to use them.

Now, while it's good to conserve secondary ammo, each level has weapons stored in various places. These will give your even more weapon and ammo options, or restock your current chosen secondary weapon with ammo. So you're not out of luck if you run out. Also, you get to use Grenades as another weapon that you take with you. These are limited, but have powerful room-clearing and boss-killing abilities. But they also take out lots of Objects destructible in the environment, which may be crucial to getting S-ranks.

Which brings me to my next point - the majority of the levels in REUC are destructible. This adds to the 'cool factor' of the game, but it also serves 3 purposes; One, destroying stuff often reveals more ammo or more weapons to use. Secondly, destroying objects will reveal items that unlock bonus content. Lastly, destroying as many items as you can will increase your Rank at the end of the level, thereby opening more levels. So it adds to the depth in that you can spend your shots or grenades blowing up items in levels, but you risk being jumped on by surprise from enemies. Or maybe you prioritize enemies at the expense of wrecking the environment. So there's some depth there.

The next thing that makes this game different from typical light shooters is that it has a lot more content than typical shooters. While most arcade shooters last 45 minutes in a single playthrough, Umbrella Chronicles will take several hours to get through the first time. This is not only because there are a ton of levels, but also because you'll be faced with bosses and scenarios that you have to figure out how to handle. The first boss of REUC took me like ~20 minutes to kill, but once I got good at the game, I can take it out in 5 mins or less.

Which reminds me -- every time you Rank in a level, you're awarded Star Points. These are used to upgrade the weapons you've unlocked in the game. You can upgrade any of the weapons (besides pistol) up to 4 levels. This will add damage to the weapons, or capacity, or firing rate depending on the weapon. So it adds depth to the weapon system there as well. These increased weapons make later or tougher levels easier to complete and S-Rank. But you have to choose your spending/upgrading wisely; not every weapon is available in every level.

Now, as far as levels, there are bunches of them, and they're all unique. Plus, Ranking well on levels unlocks even more. So for each set of 4 levels, there are usually 4 more unlockable levels. Often these will present you with a different character's perspective on the events of the Resi game you're playing. So you might play as Chris in Resi1's levels, then unlock Wesker's version of those events, which are totally different. So there's a lot of replay value there - getting S-ranks, upgrading weapons, finding more stuff to unlock, unlocking more levels. There are also branching paths in most of the levels, too, so you don't see everything the first time you play.

The unlockable content in the game is all Resident Evil fan service. Besides the unlockable levels, that is. I'm not a huge Resi fan, but I've played Resi 1 and 4. I found lots to appreciate here. Especially the story sequences in the main game - which are appreciably and purposefully cheesey in classic RE /zombie style. The unlockable bonus stuff is mostly for RE fans, though, besides more levels/weapons. It's a lot of info and images regarding the previous games and give you more indepth information on the series. But it's fun to glance over. Also, getting these 'files' within the levels is part of the S-Rank criteria so you might as well look at it anyway :P

Ghost Squad -
    Ghost Squad is a great game if you know what you're getting - you're getting an arcade lightgun shooter. These things are typically not much longer than 30 or 45 minutes.

But the reason these games are popular is not because you can beat them once and be done with them. No, not unlike arcadey shmups or maybe even racing games and fighting games, beating it once is only the first step. The replay value comes from getting good at these games, and for some people, increasing your high score or achieving Ranks or medals.

As far as Ghost Squad goes from an arcade shooter perspective, it's really quite good.

For the Wii, it transitions quite well. The entire game is intact, plus a few more missions and a lot of unlockable type things.

Every time you play the game, the game will gauge your performance. With improved performance, you increase your 'level' for each Mission.

As you level up in missions, it opens up new branching paths to play through, adding variety and replay value to the game. I've played it tons and have still not managed to unlock every path.

Some branched paths are samey to other routes, but some of them completely change the level or objective. Meaning, some of these branched path really do make it worth unlocking to play through.

But not only that, increasing your level in these Missions also increases the difficulty of the paths - in that, it increases the type of variables y ou have to worry about it.

In some missions you have to clear a room of terrorists. But in the same area on a higher level, you''ll have to clear the area but avoid hitting hostage. Then in the same area on an even higher level, you might have to detain hostages while clearing the room of terrorists.

in some missions you have to defend in hand to hand combat against enemies. In the low levels, you have a lot of time, and have to defend maybe 1 critical point. In later levels, you're give less time, and often have to defend 2 critical points from each enemy in hand to hand.

Sometimes increasing level will increase the number of hostages to detain, the number of terrorists to defend against, the number of mines to disable, etc.

So not only does replaying the game well add more paths to complete, but it increases the variety and difficulty of the paths you've already opened.

On top of that, and the other unlockable stuff, you can also unlock new costumes and new weapons - of which there are TONs - to play the levels with.

The scoring system is actually quite cool as well. You're scored based on a lot more than just the # of enemies killed. First, you're gauged by time to complete; you often don't move on in a level until you kill the enmies or complete the objectives. Do it quickly to decrease time. Secondly, you're gauged on how effectively you complete each Objective, be it clearing out enemies, saving hostages, detaining hostages, backing up your team, being stealthy, sniping, etc etc. Do these well to increase your score, and in less time; fail them and you'll be hit hard in scoring.

But more than that, you're also scored on your accuracy. Yes, that means hits/shots ratio. But you're also scored on how efficient you were. Chest shots are worth more than limb shots, and head shots are worth the most points. Ever notice how you can plug a terrorist a few times before he disappears? That's because scoring your shot efficiency depends on how you shoot the terrorists. 1 headshot may be worth more than 3 leg shots; or 3 chest shots may be more points than 1 head shot. The ideal scenario is to plug the enemies with 2 chest shots and 1 head shot to finish them off. So there's tactical scoring based on shot as well. Oh, and hitting armor and objects counts as a 'miss' - so shooting the final boss's shield with bullets detracts from your overall score.

So yeah, as an arcade rail shooter, GS is actually quite good. To top it all off, it has a calibration allowing you to set up your wii remote for accurate 1:1 aiming. I always take advantage of this, personally, and it works very very well (long as you don't move from your place of calibration). Also, the original arcade game had you shooting with a sub machine gun of sorts - so using the Wii Zapper actually helps bring the game closer to its original format.

Plus the zapper is just comfy for these types of games, and makes calibration easier too.

Ghost Squad (and HOTD23) let you calibrate the wii remote (or Zapper) so you can use perfect 1:1 aiming. RE:UC does not have this option. However, I've never found that to be an issue in RE:UC, since it's not the 'arcadey' style of game; shots have to be taken carefully and steadily anyway, so maneuvering the pointer doesn't have to be as reflexive.

All three games support the Zapper, although RE:UC's implementation requires you to remove the nunchuck from the holster in the zapper, which is kind of weird, but it works fine.

I've only played these games with a Zapper, too, and I find it completely comfortable to use. So I don't know how it would play out with just a wiimote+nunchuck.

I plan on getting a Nyko Perfect Shot in the near future, though, which is a lightgun shell with a classic pistol design and a passthrough for the nunchuck to be held separately. This would be the ideal shell for RE:UC, but the zapper one works fine for the game.

Link's CBT comes with the zapper, too. it's a fun game, but there's not as much replay value as REUC, GS, or HOTD23. It has a great Combo system for scoring points, and the levels are fun to play. But gaining the highest Rank on each level is not very difficult to do. And there are no online leaderboards or anything (like in Ghost Squad). Plus not 1:1 calibration, but the game still controls well. So Link's CBT is an option if you ever decide to pick up a Zapper.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wow. I just played the Prelude to House of the Dead 2. Man. This is an old game. Seriously. Was this PS1 era? Or early Dreamcast? Man. The voice acting is far worse than HOTD3's and Ghost Squad's. Appreciably laughable though. The graphics are, wow, really basic. Like a notch above Quake 2. Same for the animation.

Still, it's great arcade shooting fun. I just wish I got a ranking or something after each level. Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated with more impressions as I go

edit: lol, there's a part like RE:UC i this game -- there's some sections where you control a slight 'flashlight' in the area with your aim. But it doesn't give the same effect that REUC manages.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what was the actual story behind the HotD games? I've played HotD 2 multiple times (Never getting past magician)

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked Link's Crossbow Training more than I did Ghost Squad. Looking at both games separately, and what they each offer, it seems wierd, but I totally loved CBT, and thought GS was just meh.

I do plan on getting House of The Dead 2+3, though. Is there any hope that HOtD 4 could be done on the Wii? Is it any good?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited March 2008
    I really enjoyed Link's CBT, it's just that I wish there was more stuff. Once you get the highest Medals, there's nothing left to do. No unlockable stuff, no leaderboards, nothing.

I really enjoyed it, but after getting the highest Medal on every level, I started playing to see if I could get more than 300,000 points on each level. It didn't take too long to accomplish that either (although a few levels I just can't do this in).

With Ghost Squad, the levels get progressively more difficult with progressively more objectives and branching paths, and previous objectives become more complex. That, plus the fact that the scoring system is pretty complex, and then the online leaderboards, and you already have a lot more replay value than Link's CBT in my opinion. Plus, there are party mode stuff, which I haven't tried. Also, I appreciated the 1:1 calibration of Ghost Squad, that Link's CBT lacks; although that sort of thing doesn't make/break these games for me, as playing with standard Wii pointer controls works plenty well.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Re: House of the Dead 4

I've played this in the arcades. It seems like a good fit for the Wii, since you use an uzi like peripheral and there is actually waggle in the arcade game.

Unfortunately, the only way to get HOTD4 working on the Wii is if Sega removes the excessive bump mapping and some of the shader effects. These effects don't really add a whole lot to the game, graphically, in my opinion, but it's something more that Sega would have to do to get it working on the Wii. The game isn't any more complex in what happens on screen that RE:UC; it's just the bump mapping. In fact, I think the bump mapping makes HOTD4 look kind of ugly where better textures without bump maps would have made it look better.

Now, I know for a fact that the Wii can use bump mapping. But I think to get the game running smoothly they'd probably need to take the bump mapping out.

Even so, I think it'd be perfectly possible to get a good looking, good running version of HOTD4 on the Wii. I just don't think Sega will do it.

The game seems like a lot of fun, but I only was able to play it a few times and died pretty quickly.

slash000 on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I didn't like having to shake the gun to reload in HotD4. It really didn't feel right to me. The shotgun pump or the point away from the screen are fine, and would have preffered the latter or even sliding the bolt back on top of the gun.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I flipped through the manual.

Apparently there are some cool extra modes in this game. Er, these games.

HOTD2 has regular Arcade mode. Just a straight arcade port.

Then it has Original Mode - which is a mode that allows you to take along items that you can unlock from another separate minigame. But you also gain items by busting barrels and such.
    The minigame starts up after choosing HOTD2 from the game seelct, btu you can skip it.

There's also Boss Mode - where you take on each level boss, and try to kill them in the shortest time possible. The Boss Mode has various difficulties, and each time you beat the highest difficulty, it unlocks the next highest difficulty up to 5 difficulties. Boss's "location" depends on where you got to them in the game.

There's also a Training Mode. It's for practicing range and basic/advanced tactics (according to the manual). More training sessions unlock as you beat them. There are also increasing difficulties like the Boss mode.

The items in Original Mode vary from regular Arcade Items, but also include more ammo capacity, credits, weapon powerups, a shotgun and machine gun; and also the ability to play as Amy.

HOTD3:
    Arcade mode - straight port

Time Attack - get as far as you can within the time limit; getting hit removes time, killing enemies/saving teamates increases time. You get Ranked and Scored upon completion, and "Dr. Curien" gives you an analysis and commentary on your gameplay at the end.

The manual also mentioned a "Brand New Game Mode!" available if you clear both HOTD2 and HOTD3. I don't know what this is yet but I'll post it as soon as I find out.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    I didn't like having to shake the gun to reload in HotD4. It really didn't feel right to me. The shotgun pump or the point away from the screen are fine, and would have preffered the latter or even sliding the bolt back on top of the gun.

Well the waggle in HOTD4 is mainly for shaking off enemies that grab onto you.

I think you can just aim off screen to reload in HOTD4, as an alternative to waggling to reload.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Since someone asked about the plot, I'll typed out the Story from the manual:

As a special agent in the AMS, you have full access to the top secret events that occurred as a result of Dr Curien's daring scientific experiments. Please familiarize yourself with this very peculiar case.

Dec 1998
    It is unclear if Dr Curien's latest experiment was intended to wipe out mankind or whether it was a horrible accident. Agents Thomas Rogan and G were dispactched to the Curien mansion where they encountered Dr Curien's "masterpeice" - a horrific creature named "Type00 Magician." REgrettably, the creature cost the doctor his life. The matter was resolved by Agents Thomas Rogan and G.

Feb 2000
    Violent rioting was reported in a small town and Agents Gary and James were sent to stabilize the situation. Strange findings similar to those in the Curien case were found and traced to a man known only as Goldman. It is possible there is a link between the two cases. MOre evidence is needed.

An urgent, official request was recieved from the government of an unspecifieed country; all available agents were sent to inveestigate "bizarre" occurrences. Soon after, more events of this nature were resported from several coutnries around the world.

the events of 2002 were not in fact concluded and incidents with horrific creaures are now widespread around the globe. Paranoid citizens must be controlled, as disorder and chaos are commonplace. The cause of these events is still unknown. But the overall effects have been devastating on a global level.

Oct 2019
    Survivors identify the EFI Research Facility as the force behind the world collapse. REcognizing the urgency of the situation, AMS authorities send in former agent Thomas Rogan. Within moments, however, all contact is lost with Agetn Rogan. A non-stop seearch is in progress.

Oct 2019
    Agent G and Lisa Rogan, daughter of Thomas Rogan, are dispatched to the EFI Research Facility where they encournter apocalyptic conditions. Astonishing facts, previously concealed, lead them to an unexpected confrontantion and a conclusion that will change everything. Details cannot be revealed at this time.

slash000 on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    So what was the actual story behind the HotD games? I've played HotD 2 multiple times (Never getting past magician)

im going to be 300% honest with you.

wipe your ass with a page of loose leaf paper. thus you have the story to house of the dead.

delphinus on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Am I right in assuming this would be orgasmic with the Wii Zapper?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming this would be orgasmic with the Wii Zapper?

Honestly, I have 4 lightgun shooters now - HOTD23, GS, Link's CBT, and REUC.

I haven't even tried playing any of them without the Zapper.

It's just that I find playing with the zapper so comfortable. It's surprisingly ergonomic and weighty with the control parts in it. I feel like it helps steady my aim as well. I have no desire to stop using the Zapper.

I do want to get a Nyko Perfect Shot soon, though. That might take the place of my zapper for some games. It would at least give cooperative modes something for the other player to use.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm really enjoying Link's Crossbow Training with the zapper and would like to see more games take advantage of it, so perhaps I'll pick up House of the Dead. What are the other games you have listed? I don't recognize the acronyms.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying Link's Crossbow Training with the zapper and would like to see more games take advantage of it, so perhaps I'll pick up House of the Dead. What are the other games you have listed? I don't recognize the acronyms.

The games I own are Link's Crossbow Training, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Ghost Squad, and House of the Dead 2+3.

If you want to know my impressions of RE:UC and Ghost Squad, read this post:

Link to my impressions of REUC and GS.

So far I'm really enjoying HOTD23 though. Although there's a lot more meat in REUC, and GS is a more refined game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ghost Squad and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.

urahonky on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A nice pack of Virtua Cops would be awesome.

I would buy that so hard! Also, glad to hear that HOTD turned out decently, I may have to pick it up, though I haven't completed all the extra stuff in Ghost Squad yet.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    epic assistance

Thanks kindly, good sir. :D I think I'll grab Ghost Squad when I get the chance this summer and lower my no-new-games embargo. And part of me really wants the Zapper but can do without Link's CBT; maybe I could find someone willing to sell it for a few bucks.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    epic assistance

Thanks kindly, good sir. :D I think I'll grab Ghost Squad when I get the chance this summer and lower my no-new-games embargo. And part of me really wants the Zapper but can do without Link's CBT; maybe I could find someone willing to sell it for a few bucks.

I personally like the Zapper, but I haven't had the chance to try this out: Nyko Perfect Shot.
    wii_nyko_gun.jpg

It has a passthrough port under the handle to attach a nunchuck.

I'd already have one if local retailers actually sold it. It's $15. The advantage of the Zapper, though, is that it's $20 and comes with Link's CBT.

But I guess if you're not interested in Link's CBT, but are interested in the Zapper, then it becomes a question of how cheap you could get the Zapper.

slash000 on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you don't want Link's CBT, get the Perfect Shot if you can find it. I like the zapper, but the Perfect Shot is better. It's more comfortable, the trigger is better, and your wrist doesn't ache after long play sessions because it's not bent all weird like it is with the zapper.

elevature on
  • Options
    Akito01Akito01 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    According to the website, or at least Amazon, the Perfect Shot isn't available until near the end of April. Although I do have the zapper, now that I have HotD2&3 myself, I definitely want the Perfect Shot as well.

Akito01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Akito01 wrote: »
    According to the website, or at least Amazon, the Perfect Shot isn't available until near the end of April. Although I do have the zapper, now that I have HotD2&3 myself, I definitely want the Perfect Shot as well.

I have a perfect shot, so it's definitely available. In Canada, at least, but if it's out here it should be out in the States too. I don't know about Europe.

elevature on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hotd 2 is one of the best light gun games ever, imo.

Ah_Pook on