As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dumping

KrazedKrazed Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hello, decided to drop my art off. Its been a long time since I posted, but I'm always lurking around. Anyway, I definitely encourage some crits.
Sorry for the large sizes. For some reason, I can't resize them on Photobucket...

CCF01122008_00002.jpg
Jackson.jpg
Girlwithhat2.jpg
tylirisa.jpg
MerryXmas.jpg

And NSFW
reachup.jpg

Krazed on

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry to double post, but I would really like to hear some constructive criticism.

Krazed on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What are you looking to do, exactly?

You need to work on your hands. Draw lots of hands, your own hands, pictures of hands, other peoples' hands. Your anatomy doesn't seem TOO bad, but you're copying off of photographs for a few of these, right? Try to buy an anatomy book or two and try to learn the skeletal/muscle structure to the human body.

Try to also use definite light sources in your pieces. Work on your values/contrast. THe cat, for example - it's completely flat. I will say that something you did right was how you drew the fur in the direction it lays.

Aside from that it just looks like you need practice. Check out some really amazing, amazing artists and compare your work to theirs. What makes their work effective? Is it strong sense of color? Rendering? Texture? Form? Value? Figure out what makes the pieces work. Then compare those to your pieces. What are your pieces lacking? How can they be improved? Is there depth? Full range of value? Light source(s)? Proper anatomy/structure/etc? Another good thing to do is check your work in a mirror, or flipping it on the computer. Doing this really help to bring out flaws in your work you may not have noticed otherwise.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought it was pretty solid, but I suppose there room for improvements in everyones work.

I just wanted to pop in and say "Royale with Cheese!"

Chris W on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What are you looking to do, exactly?

You need to work on your hands. Draw lots of hands, your own hands, pictures of hands, other peoples' hands. Your anatomy doesn't seem TOO bad, but you're copying off of photographs for a few of these, right? Try to buy an anatomy book or two and try to learn the skeletal/muscle structure to the human body.

Try to also use definite light sources in your pieces. Work on your values/contrast. THe cat, for example - it's completely flat. I will say that something you did right was how you drew the fur in the direction it lays.

Aside from that it just looks like you need practice. Check out some really amazing, amazing artists and compare your work to theirs. What makes their work effective? Is it strong sense of color? Rendering? Texture? Form? Value? Figure out what makes the pieces work. Then compare those to your pieces. What are your pieces lacking? How can they be improved? Is there depth? Full range of value? Light source(s)? Proper anatomy/structure/etc? Another good thing to do is check your work in a mirror, or flipping it on the computer. Doing this really help to bring out flaws in your work you may not have noticed otherwise.

Thanks for the advice on hands, I will definitely work on that.
    the cat was a challenge for me, because it wasn't a smooth surface like skin or normal clothes, so I wasn't surprised when it came out flat. I definitely need to practice fur, and hair. Also, the only ones I used pics for were the cat, samuel L jackson, and the one in the spoiler tap. Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice, I just recently downloaded the Loomis books and I am studying those.

Krazed on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what is going on with the cat sketch. It looks like you spent some time on the face and then just quickly finished the rest of it. I know it's easy to work really hard on one part of a drawing and then just finish the rest of it real quick like, but some due diligence could go a long way.

Also, when you are doing shadows with the paintbrush in photoshop, feel free to erase some of the lines so you can't make out the shape of the brush so easily.

Keep on practicing and drawing from life (or at least photos) as you are. Looks like you're on the right track. :)

NibCrom on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    in the color picture of the chick int he bra and the hat, you're overusing the burn and dodge tools, from what I can see. It's a bad habit to get into, and it is showing in your work. Try to select the colors and paint them in a bit more deliberately, and you'll have a better understanding of how color works and more confidence in your painting. I'm not trying to rag on you, that's a trap I'm still working on getting out of, myself.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    in the color picture of the chick int he bra and the hat, you're overusing the burn and dodge tools, from what I can see. It's a bad habit to get into, and it is showing in your work. Try to select the colors and paint them in a bit more deliberately, and you'll have a better understanding of how color works and more confidence in your painting. I'm not trying to rag on you, that's a trap I'm still working on getting out of, myself.

I actually did not use either of those tools. I used the multiply and screen options for the brush. But I see what you mean by using colors instead of a bunch of tools, thanks :D

Krazed on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This is a brainstorming session on what to do next. I actually would like comments on this, just to see different interpretations. I know it may seem stale. It is brainstorming doodles after all.
    brainstorm.jpg

Krazed on