As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House Of The Dead 2 & 3 for Wii - It's out! ... Now try and find a copy

13»

• slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    Akito01 wrote: »
    According to the website, or at least Amazon, the Perfect Shot isn't available until near the end of April. Although I do have the zapper, now that I have HotD2&3 myself, I definitely want the Perfect Shot as well.

I have a perfect shot, so it's definitely available. In Canada, at least, but if it's out here it should be out in the States too. I don't know about Europe.

Well, it has been released in the USA, just not at brick and mortar stores. Just places like Amazon and online retailers.

And even then, most of them sold out, like Amazon, and aren't getting any more in .. apparently until April or something.

I don't know what the deal is.

slash000 on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    According to the website, or at least Amazon, the Perfect Shot isn't available until near the end of April. Although I do have the zapper, now that I have HotD2&3 myself, I definitely want the Perfect Shot as well.

I have a perfect shot, so it's definitely available. In Canada, at least, but if it's out here it should be out in the States too. I don't know about Europe.

Well, it has been released in the USA, just not at brick and mortar stores. Just places like Amazon and online retailers.

And even then, most of them sold out, like Amazon, and aren't getting any more in .. apparently until April or something.

That makes more sense. It's hard as hell to find here too, the only reason I have one is because my friend works at EB and put one aside for me when they got their one shipment of them in.

elevature on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    hotd 2 is one of the best light gun games ever, imo.

"Don't come! Don't come!"

emnmnme on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I already picked a few of them up at Electronics Frys in California.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Reviews are calling this a lazy port cash-in with less features and extras than the exact same 2 game package that came out half a decade ago for the Xbox, which is exactly what it is. I mean hell they didn't even bother to include widescreen support. This is really disappointing, boo SEGA i say, boo! This should have been a whole lot better, It would have been an instant purchase if HoTD 1 was part of the package.

Not having HotD 1 really made me wonder as to the care they were taking.

Glad to see my suspicious were merited. Er, well, not glad. I guess its kind of ... satisfying..

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Its a pity that HoTD3 is by far the weakest in the series. Its also a pity that HoTD4 is probably my favourite light gun game in a long time.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited March 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    I already picked a few of them up at Electronics Frys in California.

Fry's is a great place to go for this kind of thing.

I totally forgot about Fry's. Shame on me. :P
    apotheos wrote: »
    Not having HotD 1 really made me wonder as to the care they were taking.

Glad to see my suspicious were merited. Er, well, not glad. I guess its kind of ... satisfying..

Meh, it's still 2 good games, and $30 isn't cheap per se, but it doesn't break the bank either. Plus you don't have to buy any peripherals for this. Unless you want to. :P

Not having HOTD1 probably had something to do with HOTD1 having not been ported to anything.. or was it? Did they bring it to the Saturn or anything? I have no idea.

Looking at HOTD2, though - that game looks like.. A notch above Quake 2 in terms of graphics and animation. I can hardly imagine what HOTD1 looks like these days.. Meh well, it'd have still been neat to include it.

edit:

Arrgh... I found a youtube video of HOTD1.. aghg. I wonder how the gameplay holds up.. because.. this is PS1 quality stuff at best..

edit2: apparently HOTD1 was ported to the Saturn and PC.

DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Its a pity that HoTD3 is by far the weakest in the series. Its also a pity that HoTD4 is probably my favourite light gun game in a long time.

I don't get much of a chance to play lightgun shooters at the arcades these days, since I moved out of Austin where there were several arcades close by.

I think my favorite "current gen" lightgun arcade game is Virtua Cop 3, though.

I don't much like the guns they use for the HOTD4 arcade, although the gameplay is fun.

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    HotD 3 for Xbox had both 2 and 1 on it as xtras.

And having played it on Xbox - I didn't even know it was ever in the arcades, I never saw it - I must object to you calling it good. 3 is a disaster. But 2 is pretty decent.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited March 2008
    The arcade at the Galleria has a few good lightgun games still, slash.

emnmnme on
    edited March 2008

And having played it on Xbox - I didn't even know it was ever in the arcades, I never saw it - I must object to you calling it good. 3 is a disaster. But 2 is pretty decent.

The Xbox HOTD3 had HOTD1 on it? I thought it only had 2 and 3.. but then I never owned it.

What's wrong with HOTD3? I find it enjoyable. I haven't really sunk my teeth into it much yet, though. Same with 2, haven't been able to get very far into it.

But yeah, what's wrong with 3? It's fast paced and I like the enemy variety. The bosses aren't all that ground breaking though but they're not bad per se.

While I've only played a little 2, and it's fun so far, I really wish it tracked more stats and provided Ranks. It only tells you your shot accuracy and # rescues.

emnmnme wrote: »

Oh yeah, I forget about arcades in malls. Is the arcade there up to date, though? The thing I liked about Einstein's Arcade in Austin was that it was always up to date; or at least as up to date as you could expect. Particularly for fighting games, anyway.

slash000 on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I don't get much of a chance to play lightgun shooters at the arcades these days, since I moved out of Austin where there were several arcades close by.

I think my favorite "current gen" lightgun arcade game is Virtua Cop 3, though.

I don't much like the guns they use for the HOTD4 arcade, although the gameplay is fun.

HOTD4 is really good, the guns feel weighty (unfortunately they seem to break alot) and the game is surprisingly precision based for a rapid fire shooter. It is pretty tense as well, my only criticism is that the bosses are way too hard and all follow the same formula. Way better than Ghost Squad, I think.

Virtua Cop 3 is great though, really succeeds in preserving that old school feeling whilst being uber awesome. a VC collection would be awesome.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited March 2008
    Looking at these screenshots and videos of House of the Dead 1.

I was thinking.. They should port this game to the Nintendo DS. I think it'd be a great fit.

slash000 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, when I was living in Taiwan, I loved the arcade scene. Just about every major shopping center would have a floor just dedicated to the stuff and they were relatively cheap to play as well. Virtua Cop 3 was easily my favorite, although HotD4 came close.

And to be honest, I'm not a big fun of Ghost Squad. It's not a bad game and it's fun in short doses, but I think RE: Umbrella Chronicles is leagues better. In particular, the fact that you can have a great run at a level in Ghost Squad and then if you mess up the boss battle at the end, you don't unlock the next level really annoys me. That and having to play all 3 scenarios each time if you want to unlock anything.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

Oh yeah, I forget about arcades in malls. Is the arcade there up to date, though? The thing I liked about Einstein's Arcade in Austin was that it was always up to date; or at least as up to date as you could expect. Particularly for fighting games, anyway.

Last time I was there, I stuck to MvC2. That Sega Jungle shooter and the Aliens shooter were also there but not HotD4.

emnmnme on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Looking at these screenshots and videos of House of the Dead 1.

I was thinking.. They should port this game to the Nintendo DS. I think it'd be a great fit.

Considering that all they have to compete with is the RSI-inducing Touch the Dead and some Simple DS game that isn't sold outside of Japan and doesn't look much better than Touch the Dead, they wouldn't have much competition at all.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

I owned HotD 3 on Xbox and never saw #1 as an extra. Are you certain? I'm pretty sure you are mistaken.

Also yeah I didn't like 3 all that much, but I loved 2 and 1, I'm almost willing to say that 1 is my favorite of the series. I owned the PC version and to this day regret selling it back when EBstop took PC games for some quick cash. The box art was so awesome and subtly shone like a hologram. Also slash, the PC version was a direct port of the Saturn version so it had the SUCK graphics which pissed me the hell off because the arcade version is SO MUCH PRETTIER!

Also every single version of 4 that I've seen in arcades had no dismemberment. Was that just the arcade switching on the censored version or did SEGA pussy out and remove the best feature from the series for 4?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    tardcore wrote: »

How in the hell could the Wii handle 4?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2008

I owned HotD 3 on Xbox and never saw #1 as an extra. Are you certain? I'm pretty sure you are mistaken.

I'm pretty sure he's mistaken, too, since I've read a bunch of reviews and they only ever mention HOTD2 being a bonus...

Still, I'd like to know why HOTD3 is supposedly such a 'bad game.' I've played it and while it's not as good as 2 in terms of gameplay, it's still quite fun. Hardly the turd that, well Apo for example, would have us believe.. I'm just curious as to why it is supposedly so "bad" in some people's opinion. Or his. The worst I've heard about HOTD3 is that it's "decent" and "not as good as 2." Hardly grounds to call it a turd, though.

Also every single version of 4 that I've seen in arcades had no dismemberment. Was that just the arcade switching on the censored version or did SEGA pussy out and remove the best feature from the series for 4?

I can't remember if the vsn I played had dismemberment. I want to say it did not though, but I am unsure.

tardcore wrote: »

How in the hell could the Wii handle 4?

First off, I think that this is a pretty unsound rumor... I doubt Sega'll bring HOTD4 or Typing to the Wii no matter how well HOTD23 sells.

How would it work in theory, though? Well I've talked about it already, but essentially this:

1. Make it SD
    2. Take out bump mapping*
    3. Take out some shaders

That's about it. Maybe turn some textures down a tiny bit. But HOTD4 is not a fantastic looking game, and the bump maps make it look worse in my opinion, than if they had used better texturing. There are lots of zombies, but overall I don't think that the game packs much more on screen than Umbrella Chronicles. Some scenes show a hundred zombies, but those are during cutscenes which can be handled via pre-recorded video.

it's moot though. This is a weak rumor to begin with. And lightgun shooters are niche enough as it is; I doubt that this collection would sell well enough to encourage a HOTD4 port anyway.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this collection, but I can't imagine it selling extremely well having these really old games that have been released previously so long ago.

* the wii can do bump mapping, but I think it's ugly and its removal would boost performance

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    ok, I just read a bunch of reviews of the oXbox version of HOTD3.

Most reviews loved the game. The user reviews averaged 9.1 out of 10. The worst complaints about HOTD3 were:

1. Too short a game
    2. Too expensive

So I don't see how one can consider HOTD3 a "disaster" at all. It's not 'long' but it's a rail shooter, with multiple paths. It's boss battles aren't as awesome as other rail shooters but they're still fun.

Also, the expense problem is a nonissue for the Wii, as the game costs $30 and that's it. The oXbox game required you to pay $90 for the game and gun, or $120 for the game and 2 guns.

So... I don't see how this game is supposed to be so bad.

edit: one review says reloading in HOTD3 on oXbox is automatic; is that true?

yeah, it's confirmed. HOTD3 on the oXbox may not have actually been a fair taste of the game.

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    My problems with HotD revolve around retardedly bad voice acting and lame level design. At least 1 and 2 had a creepy house vibe. 3 plays out like the worst bits of the Resident Evil franchise back to back.

Also, it has always been waaaay too easy.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited March 2008
    My problems with HotD revolve around retardedly bad voice acting and lame level design. At least 1 and 2 had a creepy house vibe. 3 plays out like the worst bits of the Resident Evil franchise back to back.

Also, it has always been waaaay too easy.

Boom. There ya go.

You'll never get good voice acting in a light gun shooter. The VA in HOTD2 is actually far, far worse than that of 3. But that shouldn't even matter. These aren't games to be played for their story.

Also, too easy? The guns reload themselves in the oXbox version. Not the case with the arcade or the Wii version.

It's not as hard as 2, but reloading the gun yourself rather than automatically makes a huge difference.

As far as the creepy house thing, I don't see how the difference between 1/2 and 3 can go from decent game to a 'disaster' just based on that, when really, all of this stuff is fast paced zombie blasting gameplay. 3 doesn't break a whole lot of new ground but it doesn't veer far from 1 and 2 either... Also, again, the VA of 1 and 2 is far, far worse than 3.

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    Honestly HotD 3 wasn't terrible, it just wasn't very inspired. 1 and 2 are leaps and bounds beyond the third and whereas the other two at least had interesting environments the third felt very generic and boring. I got my moneys worth when I bought it though, it just hasn't aged as well as the other two which still feel classic.

The_Spaniard on
    edited April 2008
    Holy crap, I went to get Superstars Tennis for $20 at gamestop, and they had PerfectShots in stock!

31d-tbiJKWL._AA280_.jpg

Oh man, instant purchase right there!

I just tried it out. This thing is great! Now I can play HOTD2+3 and Ghost Squad with the crosshairs turned off. Although I still prefer GS with the Zapper because it's closer to the arcade with a submachine gun like device.

But man! This Perfect Shot works fantastic when you calibrate these games properly. Plus the thing is a nice size for my hand and has a good heft to it without being heavy.

The only thing that may be a caveat is that the trigger is somewhat resistant compared to the Zapper, but you get used to it really quickly.

I like this thing. No crosshair!

slash000 on