As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MxO] The red pill...they still servin that? But Cowboy Curtis is dead!

GahazakulGahazakul regular
edited April 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
I was always skeptical of the Matrix Online. But then again I am a fine purveyor of the MMO market, I have an unquenchable desire to play them, to covet personal experience to boldly face my friends and not just say that a MMO sucks, but WHY it sucks. And with this comes the suspicions I have of any game on the market that refuses to have a friendly "14 Day Trial" kind of program, which this didn't. But now it has an outlet and the client is almost done updating and a full rundown will commence later.

I have lurked on their Official site a long time, cruisin in the forums and what not and was surprised that the game is not dead. It seems that it has declined to the point were the people left CARE about the game, atempt RPing and people even ACTUALLY attend player events. They even just got a brand new zone that boasts FFA-PvP which sounds very entertaining. Not to mention the community thats left seems very helpful and involved. The storyline of the game is shaped by these dev sanctioned events that will have a major story figure that you must assist your side in winning. Then whatever happens the story is changed appropriately.

Loadinscreenlovin2.png

I was plesantly surprised by all this info and am hoping the game is at least half decent, because with all this fun engaging sounding shiz behind it I really would like to be involved.
compressed00558yr3.jpg

Ah and to get your free trial you visit a dev supported MySpace page a fan has made to help advertise the community. Not to mention its one hell of nice page! Hope you peeps out there give it a once over, MMOs change so much over time, maybe its time to give this one another roll.
snowtacolc4.jpg

And the link to the page is........
http://www.myspace.com/mxospace

Gahazakul on

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't really heard anyone say it's actually good

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I actually kind of liked it.

Depressperado on
  • DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    While I don't currently play it, I did have fun when I was playing there. REALLY amazing looking melee combat too, but on the other hand I could never get anybody I knew to play it and eventually got bored of playing without any friends. Maybe I'll head back sometime though if CoX ever wears thin for me.

Digito on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Have they put in hovercraft yet?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited March 2008
    Well i have played a few hours and am pleasantly surprised! It has a CoH/CoV feel to it but with the matrix backdrop. The combat is very entertaining and the game is pleasant enough to look at (after alot of tweaking, I hate games that autoset gfx and you have to find a button to unlock personal tweaking).

The mission system is very easy to follow, a symbol on the hud that shows the direction your headed and how far its away is very nice indeed! The archaic animation system that the game was buffeted with in its release state has been cleaned up very well.

The only issue I have with it is a problem I have with alot of earlier MMOs, the character menus are not very friendly to one not versed in MMO. If a new player comes to say WoW and opens your inv everything has large windows and helpful pictures for items abilities and what not. For some strange reason many MMOs took a long time to figure out that not just code hungry nerds play these things. That could be diffrent for this Matrix one though...hmm...an interesting thought.

I will figure out how to do some nice screenshotties and post them later, I think I may stick around and actually pay for this one. It is nice the trial account counts as the game so if you want to continue playing you just have to setup a pay method and your good!

Gahazakul on
    edited March 2008
    Oh btw, if you do DL the trial, I'm Gahaz on the Syntax server. Send me message if you are feeling saucy.

Gahazakul on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Do they still have endless amounts of rouge programs within sight of the human inhabitants of the matrix, or have they put them behind closed doors, out of sight, where they belong?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuLpznXVpUg

Wow. The combat looks really great. Also, it looks like there are still Rogue programs in sight of the Humans.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I asked for a trial key but I can't seem to find any download links around (or am I just being stupid)?

Scroffus on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man.. them fights.... Man.. Its.. Its fluid and fast! Why is there not big cool down timers?!

Watching this vid makes me think I'm watching some gunkata at some points.

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »
    So I asked for a trial key but I can't seem to find any download links around (or am I just being stupid)?

If you sent the MySpace an emaili should have given ya the link. If not let me dig up the link....

This is the link location for the launcher http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/jackin/

And here to create a station id https://account.station.sony.com/

Gahazakul on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do they still have endless amounts of rouge programs within sight of the human inhabitants of the matrix, or have they put them behind closed doors, out of sight, where they belong?

They explain it as the bluepills assuming that the exile programs are just run-of-the-mill gangmembers. I can't remember seeing any hackers or programmers out in public, they're usually in the mission maps.

Depressperado on
    edited March 2008
    Well, downloading and patching as we speak. Gonna go watch the matrix (and mabye 2 and 3 depending on how long it takes) to get myself in the mood.

Scroffus on
    edited March 2008
    It really is a neat exstension of the fiction. They have devs play as the main characters and they move throughout the game and interact with players. I have joined the larger RP faction on the server Syntax. I ran into the faction leader sitting on a bench in a park I struck up a convo and got an invite. And come to find out he was hoping to run into the oracle who had been spotted in the area.

Thats cool and wierd at the same time. But the idea that a dev is playing them is great! Instead of right clicking say, Ghost and him giving you the same line over and over and always being in the same spot, you could run into him randomly and actually say "Hey man, whats up" and you would actually get a response!

Gahazakul on
    edited March 2008
    Started patching around an hour ago, should be done soon.

I'll probably mix MxO and LOTRO over spring break, just 2 more days until I get to do nothing for a whole week.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    oh boy

how i remember this one

if I remember right, on that myspace page there is a guy named TheSorrows

his previous myspace was adorned with this quiz proclaiming he was a "dark unicorn"

he also partakes in stalking women

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited March 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    oh boy

how i remember this one

his previous myspace was adorned with this quiz proclaiming he was a "dark unicorn"

Nice.

It doesn't really surprise me when you see people like this involved with a Matrix community. My favorite are the people who try to 'delve deeper' into the Matrix Universe. It's really not complicated theology or anything, and there are literally whole communities dedicated towards it too.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    oh boy

how i remember this one

But saying theres a creep on someones Myspace page is like saying theres black bits in pepper. And the myspace page is rather new, they just got permission to start being an official hander of trials. And this page is run by a female player...so I dunno what thats about.

Gahazakul on
    edited March 2008
    Got my trial up and going. This is pretty neat, though I am some what lost. I want to work for Uncle Merv but i only have two contacts, Zion and Mercury and I think he is a precursor to working for the Machines. Plus Merv's guys jumped me while i was running one of his jobs.

What do i do? Go around beating up hoodlums untill I get a call from a Merv agent?

Oddjob187 on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm very much confused on how to get the trial... do I have to send them an email? Will I have to wait for days until someone actually answers or is it automated? >.<

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm very much confused on how to get the trial... do I have to send them an email? Will I have to wait for days until someone actually answers or is it automated? >.<

How are you confused? Go to the myspace page, send e-mail. Wait a few buisness hours then follow the links in the e-mail.

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2008
    Only a few business hours? Thats good thing, that really was my only concern... kind of odd that they make you jump through hoops though instead of just letting you get a trial from their website.

Arthil on
    edited March 2008
    Only a few business hours? Thats good thing, that really was my only concern... kind of odd that they make you jump through hoops though instead of just letting you get a trial from their website.

True true.

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2008
    I only hope I'll get a response this late, It would suck if I'd have to wait until tomorrow to get the reply =/.
    I'm also wondering what I should put in the subject/body? Just 'I would like a free trial'?

Arthil on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You're making this far too difficult Arthil. :)

urahonky on
    edited March 2008
    I've a habit of doing that e.e;... sorry. I've always wanted to get a chance to do a trial for this game, wanted to try it out back when it was released but money was tight then so buying a new game wasn't an option.

Arthil on
    edited March 2008
    No need to apologize, i was just teasin ya. :)

urahonky on
    edited March 2008
    I got mine originally at 3 am, bout 2 hours after i emailed em.

Gahazakul on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So do the devs actually still work on the fiction? I liked what I played in Beta, but never went much beyond that, because by the time I was actually ready to take the plunge, Sony took it over, and it seemed to kind of fall into the territory where it seemed like they were keeping it on life support, with no new real content being introduced.

Aoi on
    edited March 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    So do the devs actually still work on the fiction? I liked what I played in Beta, but never went much beyond that, because by the time I was actually ready to take the plunge, Sony took it over, and it seemed to kind of fall into the territory where it seemed like they were keeping it on life support, with no new real content being introduced.

yeah they host events that change the story depending on how the events happen.

Gahazakul on
    edited March 2008
    I got my key, but wont be able to play it till maybe tomorrow if I get lucky.

urahonky on
    edited March 2008
    So, we're all going to be on the Syntax server right?

Arthil on
    edited March 2008
    So, we're all going to be on the Syntax server right?

If ya want, its the one I'm on at least lol.

Gahazakul on
    edited March 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    Got my trial up and going. This is pretty neat, though I am some what lost. I want to work for Uncle Merv but i only have two contacts, Zion and Mercury and I think he is a precursor to working for the Machines. Plus Merv's guys jumped me while i was running one of his jobs.

What do i do? Go around beating up hoodlums untill I get a call from a Merv agent?

Eh? Eh?

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2008

Eh? Eh?

Actually in the small areas that are the "towns" that have vendors there are contacts for the diff factiosn, but you do have to run the reg missions until lvl 5, where you get a a contact for the other 2 factions if you want to persue them officially.

Gahazakul on
    edited March 2008
    Gahazakul wrote: »

Eh? Eh?

Actually in the small areas that are the "towns" that have vendors there are contacts for the diff factiosn, but you do have to run the reg missions until lvl 5, where you get a a contact for the other 2 factions if you want to persue them officially.

I am level 6 now. I did all the missions for Mercury, and i still only have Zion on my phone.

Make Oddjob187 your friend while i sit around watching level 50 Kung Fu and Akido masters throw down here a telephone booth.

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2008
    It isn't level dependent, you've got to do the entire first set of Zion quests before you'll be contacted.

Arthil on
    edited March 2008
    It isn't level dependent, you've got to do the entire first set of Zion quests before you'll be contacted.

Yea I learned that last night. I'm level 8 now. Once I finished all of the Zion intro quests the machines and the merv contacted me.

Oddjob187 on
    edited March 2008
    So I can't run around while kungfuing?

Scroffus on
    edited March 2008
    Man, i was looking for a Operator vendor when i hardlined into Mara. It turns out it is under attack by "Override Prorgams" aka Accelerated Machines. Level 50+ swat guys. Raep.

Its awesome watching all these level 50's throw down their Gun Fu and stuff.

Oddjob187 on