As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why isn't there a Justice League thread?

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    hey this pacing is kind of like Justice League

quickly, let's remember that Vixen is a character in the book and give her a post to remind everyone

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    So...[spoiler:c9b48949b4]Geo-Force[/spoiler:c9b48949b4] is in the JLA?

Why the fuck for?

He's got two inside guys rootin' for him I guess.

Why not?

[spoiler:c9b48949b4]I know very little about the character, but he seems like a really weird choice. Has he ever been in the JLA? Does he have a following? Everyone else on the team seems, at least, notable.[/spoiler:c9b48949b4]

Lux on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I fucking love that page! It came completely out of nowhere. That is what a final page twist is supposed to be.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

quickly, let's remember that Vixen is a character in the book and give her a post to remind everyone

vixendk6.jpg: keith...meyow!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    I would link that, Robo

it's kind of a huge spoiler

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

You seem to be very distressed by the fact that Vixen isn't getting a lot of page time. It's not surpising though. She's a C-list character. A C-list character on a team with characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and even good ol Hal. Im surprised Black Lightning has gotten as much page time as he's had already.

But hey, it's only issue 4, and if you read any team book, you know that a character will be pushed in the background every once in awhile.

Bad Karma on
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:

You seem to be very distressed by the fact that Vixen isn't getting a lot of page time. It's not surpising though. She's a C-list character. A C-list character on a team with characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and even good ol Hal. Im surprised Black Lightning has gotten as much page time as he's had already.

But hey, it's only issue 4, and if you read any team book, you know that a character will be pushed in the background every once in awhile.

It's not that she's not getting page time, it's that she's not moving. So far there's absolutely no point to her. The variant cover is a beautiful piece of her in the wild

and she has one page in the book, filled with birds going "gwaaaah"

Garlic Bread on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Not if the team isn't overloaded.

Seriously, check out the first arc of New Avengers to see how a big team book relaunch should go.

Justice League is just poor storytelling right now. It's too concerned with showing off a bunch of random characters to actually tell an interesting story.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Not if the team isn't overloaded.

Seriously, check out the first arc of New Avengers to see how a big team book relaunch should go.

Justice League is just poor storytelling right now. It's too concerned with showing off a bunch of random characters to actually tell an interesting story.

Poor storytelling? I wouldn't go that far. I chalk it up to a slower set up. JSofA is a good example ( <3<3 ) of the opposite. It was one quick bit after another, giving everyone their own piece of the story,rather than just focus on a select two or three.

Bad Karma on
    edited December 2006
    There are really like a billion characters in JLA already and it's only four issues in

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    There are really like a billion characters in JLA already and it's only four issues in

Yes, but the main focus, at least for the first two issues rested on the big three, while the last two on the Ivo hunt. But instead of having a quick resolution, he's drawing out the story. That's where I think most people are having an issue, you want a quick resolution to move on to something else.

Bad Karma on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    When a questionable choice like Vixen is included, you'd think really justifying her presence would be a priority.

And if you can't, then why is she even there?

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    When a questionable choice like Vixen is included, you'd think really justifying her presence would be a priority.

So people can say "At least she was in JLU. Who the fuck is Geo-Force?"

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Batman and Black Lightning want him, I guess. Plus, he's got a decent skillset. But again I ask...

Why not?

Bad Karma on
    edited December 2006
    Well shit if Black Lightning says so...

Why the fuck is Black Lightning even on the team?

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2006
    Well shit if Black Lightning says so...

Why the fuck is Black Lightning even on the team?

Batman said so.

Why not?

Bad Karma on
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Batman and Black Lightning want him, I guess. Plus, he's got a decent skillset. But again I ask...

Why not?
    Because "Why not?" type choices don't make for compelling reading.

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    He's a relatively minor character who few people care about and is not particularly interesting nor helpful to the team.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2006
    Deadman should be on the team

Garlic Bread on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Deadman should be on the team
    "Here to save the day by......being dead!"

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2006
    Then dont read the book? Cradle your old copies of JLA. Christ, it's a new lineup..try it on for size for a little while. Hey, it's fine if you don't like the new lineup. If you want, I'll suggest other books for $2.99 you may want to try. But theres no point in filling the thread with pointless "Why is this character in? Who the fuck cares about the big dull black guy?" when we just got it back on topic.

I love you.

Bad Karma on
    edited December 2006
    I like that Black Lightning and Geo-Force and Vixen are on the team

But so far there has been no reason other than "why not?"

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2006
    Well, Geo-Force is pretty fucking powerful.

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

Well Keith, when I can read more of the book, I'll give everyone a big ol synopsis on why they should or shouldn't be on the team.

Bad Karma on
    edited December 2006
    Vixen is on the team because Buddy dies in 52 :shock:

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Vixen is on the team because Buddy dies in 52 :shock:
    shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup

Sars_Boy on
    edited December 2006
    Grant Morrison wouldn't let that happen. They're best friends!

robosagogo on
    edited December 2006
    Grant Morrison dies in 52 :shock:

Garlic Bread on
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Grant Morrison is Supernova.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Well Keith, when I can read more of the book, I'll give everyone a big ol synopsis on why they should or shouldn't be on the team.
    See that's the problem here.

A big relaunch is supposed to grab people. How many new readers do you think have stuck with the book for 4 issues when Superman hasn't done anything and there are these random super heroes they've probably never heard of doing random stuff that makes little sense thus far?

This has been a book for people that are already fans. A relaunch of your biggest title is supposed to grow readership. I don't see this doing anything but pleasing people that are already fans.

No one is excited about Vixen or Black Lightening or Geo-Force except people that would be reading the book anyhow.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2006
    Grant Morrison is calling you from inside your house.

Though really, it'd be much scarier if it was Alan Moore.

robosagogo on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Ostrander already killed him off in an issue of The Spectre, if I recall correctly.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Ostrander already killed him off in an issue of The Spectre, if I recall correctly.

Suicide Squad actually. Eaten by werewolves because he got writer's block.

Oh, and here's why Geo-Force shouldn't be in JLA. Because seeing that stupid cowled head of his in JSA got my hopes up for a return of Booster Gold. But honestly, I get the feeling he'll be here just to promote Terra, as she'll be spinning off into a mini-series from her appearance in Supergirl pretty soon.

Munch on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Munch wrote:
    hughtron wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Suicide Squad actually. Eaten by werewolves because he got writer's block.

Oh, and here's why Geo-Force shouldn't be in JLA. Because seeing that stupid cowled head of his in JSA got my hopes up for a return of Booster Gold. But honestly, I get the feeling he'll be here just to promote Terra, as she'll be spinning off into a mini-series from her appearance in Supergirl pretty soon.

Speaking of, she should either get with the fucking program, or stop wearing the S. Speaking of, why do all Kryptonians need to wear the damn thing, anyways?

Fencingsax on
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It makes me wonder why they include characters like Vixen on the team, and yet they don't have freakin' J'onn.

Theres a good one to ask WHY NOT?

And what about the Flash? If not for any other reason then to save Bart from his crappy book.

Skullo on
    edited December 2006
    Skullo wrote:
    It makes me wonder why they include characters like Vixen on the team, and yet they don't have freakin' J'onn.

Theres a good one to ask WHY NOT?

And what about the Flash? If not for any other reason then to save Bart from his crappy book.

That's what the next arc of Flash is about: whether Bart should join the Teen Titans (his friends) or the JLA (the legacy)

Garlic Bread on
  • Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    How fast can Bart go? I remember when Wally was on the JLA and the Justice League Elite, and he was simultaneously on a mission for both teams in a pretty cool story. If Bart is even faster (as I've heard), then he shouldn't need to pick one team over the other. He could join the Justice League, Titans, maybe the Outsiders and Global Guardians while he's at it.

Adaemus1sf on
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i like how Hal has to keep himself from calling Arsenal, Roy

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Then dont read the book? Cradle your old copies of JLA. Christ, it's a new lineup..try it on for size for a little while. Hey, it's fine if you don't like the new lineup. If you want, I'll suggest other books for $2.99 you may want to try. But theres no point in filling the thread with pointless "Why is this character in? Who the fuck cares about the big dull black guy?" when we just got it back on topic.

I love you.

And to be fair, how big of a name was Red Tornado before the JLA?
    How fast can Bart go? I remember when Wally was on the JLA and the Justice League Elite, and he was simultaneously on a mission for both teams in a pretty cool story. If Bart is even faster (as I've heard), then he shouldn't need to pick one team over the other. He could join the Justice League, Titans, maybe the Outsiders and Global Guardians while he's at it.
    "Ok, so w're fighting Grodd?"
    "What? No, Bart. We're fighting Sinestro."
    "Right. Sorry Batman."
    "...I'm Wildcat."
    "Wildcat?"
    "What? No. It's Cyborg. What the hell is up with you, Bart?"
    "What's up with ME!? What's up with YOU, Vic!"
    "Nightwing."
    "Shit."

The Muffin Man on
  • RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    "Ok, so w're fighting Grodd?"
    "What? No, Bart. We're fighting Sinestro."
    "Right. Sorry Batman."
    "...I'm Wildcat."
    "Wildcat?"
    "What? No. It's Cyborg. What the hell is up with you, Bart?"
    "What's up with ME!? What's up with YOU, Vic!"
    "Nightwing."
    "Shit."

See. THAT would keep in line with Bart's character. They've seemed to have completely ignored Bart's ADHD tendencies. Bart not being able to focus on a single mission and instead be doing multiple missions at once would be awesome. But no. This is the "Brand new Bart", who doesn't have a character. The exchange is more likely to go like this

"Bart. Help us fight Sinestro"
    "I can't. I'm too busy crying about some insignificant shite".

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.