As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Headphones?

EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm considering getting headphones for various reasons, but there are so many options it's become a bit overwhelming. Maybe you guys can help me out. I've tried researching them myself, but to no avail, so I will list the pertinent info and maybe you pro's can lend your wisdom.

These headphones would be used for both video games and music. They don't have a single primary use, I've just been needing some for a while.

1. TV : I usually spend the night at my girlfriends house, she has a big t.v. in her bedroom where I've set up my game systems. Because of scheduling, I can often only play games late at night and her brothers bedroom is on the other side of the wall the tv is on. If I could use some headphones while playing games late at night, it'd be great. We're looking at about an 8 foot rich from the front of the t.v. (output) to where id be sitting against the wall on the bed across the room. I don't know if that would necessitate wireless. They would also be useful to allow me to continue to play with sound on if my gf decides to go to sleep. I get by without it, but it would be great to have. Would this necessitate closed headphones so the sound doesn't leak to her 2 feet away?

2. PC: Eventually (really far down the road, like a year?) I would like to finally get my computer upgraded enough (re: Replaced) to get back into PC gaming. Headphones would be great, and would cut down on costs from speaker setups. Most of the usage from TV reapply, mostly to be able to play without disturbing others and have decent stereo effects for lower cost and more versatility. I don't think its soon enough down the road to require headphones with a mic though, especially since I assume it wouldn't work with the xbox controller for my 360 (my stock headset broke a week in, which makes tf2 a bit lame, but I'm guessing it'd be easier to just get another 20$ headset for the 360 and get separate headphones?)

3. Amp: I practice guitar, but its hard to really practice the electric late at night without some headphones. If I could get some for my other purposes that had one of those large adapters, it would definitely be a plus. Most 10$ headphones don't have them. (don't know the dimensions of what adapter i need, but its much larger than what an average cd player comes with.

Budget wise, were looking at around 100$, ofcourse preferably under. I'm no audiophile, I'm not a tournament gamer, I'm not a recording artist. Doesn't have to be a crazy pair, just a decent pair. Preferably not in ear, simply because I don't enjoy inserting things in my ear canal and it always seems easier to lose your hearing with those.

I dunno...any suggestions? Either on type (open/closed, wired/wireless, etc) or Brand/Model?

tl;dr: I need some headphones, what can you suggest?

Endaro on

• wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Check out Sennheiser HD280's. Less than $100, really long cord, they collapse in an easy-to-travel with form, and they're pretty good sound. It's what I use for listening to music and playing TF2.

wallabeeX on
  • ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wallabeeX wrote: »
    Check out Sennheiser HD280's. Less than $100, really long cord, they collapse in an easy-to-travel with form, and they're pretty good sound. It's what I use for listening to music and playing TF2.

Small addition on the HD280's: the cord is coiled, so it may not be comfortable to use it over long distances. Also, it has a mini-jack connector (the kind used on CD players) but also comes with a screw on 1/4" connector (the kind for your amp).

I currently have these headphones and enjoy them.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Cowboy-BebopCowboy-Bebop Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Grado SR60s, from what I've heard are hands down the best headphones you can get for less than $100. I own a pair myself and I love them, but I haven't purchased many headphones in the price range. The chord is long and comes with a screw on 1/4" like the Sennheisers.

Cowboy-Bebop on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wallabeeX wrote: »

I highly recommend these too. I got mine at guitar center for about 80 bucks.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have some Sennheiser HD 212s. They're a great value at 40 bucks. You'll probably be happy with them but of course the quality of Sennheisers goes up with the price.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the input guys. Probably going to pull the trigger tonight on some HD 280's. We'll see how the go!

Endaro on
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Endaro wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys. Probably going to pull the trigger tonight on some HD 280's. We'll see how the go!

Not to throw a wrench into your plan, but in the same price category I found the Sony MDR 7506 to be a superior choice. The consumer version, the MDR-V6 is a tad cheaper with a slightly reduced warranty.

For me, they provide a more comfortable fit and have produced extremely accurate sound. They are lighter and fold smaller than the HD280s, so I find taking them around with me to be quite easy.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out that option as I recommend these headphones to my friends and family. I don't think you can lose on either choice, though!

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hewn wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »

Not to throw a wrench into your plan, but in the same price category I found the Sony MDR 7506 to be a superior choice. The consumer version, the MDR-V6 is a tad cheaper with a slightly reduced warranty.

For me, they provide a more comfortable fit and have produced extremely accurate sound. They are lighter and fold smaller than the HD280s, so I find taking them around with me to be quite easy.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out that option as I recommend these headphones to my friends and family. I don't think you can lose on either choice, though!

I use the Sony MDR-7506 headphones and I'm a DJ, I have had mine for over 4 years and they still work fine.

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    it is true that the hd280 phones are on the tighter side of the fit spectrum. They really grip your head, but the cushioning is pretty supple and I like that I can look up and down without the phones falling off

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The HD 212s are the same way. I kind of wish I had gotten a bigger headphone as they're made for someone with normal size ears and my ears are too damn big.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think you can go wrong with either (the Sennheiser or the Sony). My friend who does freelance audio production uses the Sony's and loves them, and my other friend who makes music loves the Sennheiser's. Really it's just brand, they're pretty much the same price.

wallabeeX on
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I use a pair of Sennheiser HD-555s and love 'em. The ear cups are large enough that they completely enclose my ears, which I really like. You should also note that they're open, so you'll get some of your sound bleeding into the surrounding area. They do run for ~$100 though, so it's right there at your price cap. And like others mentioned, the Sennheisers tend to be a bit tight on your head, but thus far I've still been able to wear them for a few hours at a time with no problem (I've got them on right now, actually :P).

Glocjt on
  • FofamitFofamit Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I know I am a bit late in this... but *shrug*:

I personally am a huge fan of AKG and I've had the Studio K171 for about five years without a problem. I have ruined the cord a couple times, but the cord does break away and it's fairly cheap to buy a replacement. I use the K171s for my computer, hooking it up to my amp and for many of my other listening needs. Even though AKG brand equipment is a bit more expensive, you will be getting your money's worth and it will most likely last you for a long time (with care).

Fofamit on
  • edited March 2008
    I have a pair of ATH-A500's and love them to pieces. They've gone up in price a bit ($90 when I bought them, $120 now) but they are worthwhile. http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Headphones_Audiophile,+Hifi/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html

They have a 1/8" plug and a 1/4" adaptor included. They look a little odd when they're on but are very comfortable. Fully enclosed, a little warm in the summer.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg