As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NEW Metal Gear Official Discussion Thread!

1545556575860»

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So it turns out the new model of Metal Gear just might be revealed in early December... in Smash Bros. Brawl.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/stage13.html

Before you say "what? That's unpossible!" consider that Smash already has music from MGS4 in it.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music11.html

Here's some more on Snake in Brawl.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/snake.html

Be sure and check the videos in the first link to hear what Snake wants to do to Yoshi. And to Samus. :winky:

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So it turns out the new model of Metal Gear just might be revealed in early December... in Smash Bros. Brawl.

Before you say "what? That's unpossible!" consider that Smash already has music from MGS4 in it.

Be sure and check the videos in the first link to hear what Snake wants to do to Yoshi. And to Samus. :winky:

I love how snake recovers from being knocked off the stage by riding a cypher back to the area. Brilliant.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

When I saw that I just thought they were talking about the Gekkos

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's talk about the Metal Gear Solid comic book.

I can't quite tell from what I've seen online if there is in fact one complete volume that contains both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2.

Anyone have any more information on whether or not such a thing exists, and where I can get it?

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have the digital version for PSP of MGS1. It's pretty well done with the small animations. I've seen the normal book of it at Barnes and Noble. Its the exact same thing sans sound and flashy text. I haven't heard if MGS2 was done yet.

Ashley Woods' art is ok sometimes but I think they chose him because he has a slight resemblance of Shinkawas art.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Apparently, if Ryan Payton's recent podcast is anything to go off of, either this week or next week, we'll have a 'major Metal Gear announcement'.

Demo for MGO? Actual release date? Hhmmm....

Kami on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Apparently, if Ryan Payton's recent podcast is anything to go off of, either this week or next week, we'll have a 'major Metal Gear announcement'.

I'm betting on an MP: PO+ release date, hoping for a deluxe pack (MG: PO and PO+) announcement.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

I'm betting on an MP: PO+ release date, hoping for a deluxe pack (MG: PO and PO+) announcement.

Pretty much. I think people hoping for a demo announcement are going to be pretty disappointed. That said, if they did announce a demo I'd buy a PS3 immediately.

Oh and he didn't say it was 'major', he said it's pretty cool. Massive difference there.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited October 2007

it could be a big mario-theme metal gear or something awesome

bongi on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Actually that new Metal gear model might be the reason Brawl got delayed. you know to keep it's design under wraps until MGS4 is finished and out.

Either that or it's Mesal Gear

Artoria on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, nobody knows anything about compiled volumes of the Metal Gear comics?

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

Well they'd have to actually finish the comic before compiling it in a TPB. ;-) Out of the 12 issues, they've got one left. There was a three or so month gap

dragonsama: Yeah... I don't think they're going to waste millions of dollars delaying the title just because of a Metal Gear that pops up in it. Besides, I doubt there's going to be any new super important Metal Gear's appearing, seeing as we already know what will be the last boss battle.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

Pretty much. I think people hoping for a demo announcement are going to be pretty disappointed. That said, if they did announce a demo I'd buy a PS3 immediately.

Oh and he didn't say it was 'major', he said it's pretty cool. Massive difference there.

Turns out the announcement was that they'd be appearing at E for All and they'd have the english version of the TGS demo there.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    there are several new videos of someone who is actually playing the demo with their eyes open, and an interview with the one guy over at game trailers

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ZedroZedro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The demo looked so good.

And do you hear someone yelling "you're the man now dog!" in video 4? Because i did.

Zedro on
    sig.pl?Zedro
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, it's looking really good now. And yes, apparently someone at Kojima productions is a Sean Connery fan. Probably Kojima himself, just look at Big Boss in the original Metal Gear...

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah a lot of the old artwork and profiles were modeled after Hollywood actors and movies.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm so going to wear that ninja mask shown in the first gameplay trailer and use nothing but a knife, slashing throats throughout the battlefield.

It will be so awesome.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I know it is a tiny thing, but I hope Snake tucks his hair into the mask. Raiden's platinum hair hanging out of his ninja helmet thing (in mgs2) bugged the hell out of me.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I remember the first gameplay trailer correctly, he does.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder if I order the "Legendary" version of MGS will I recieve a plastic model head of Snake? :P Would be pretty cool sitting next to Master C.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder if I order the "Legendary" version of MGS will I recieve a plastic model head of Snake? :P Would be pretty cool sitting next to Master C.

Classic Ninja head would be much better.

:P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm really liking how combat looks this time in the game. My only complaint remains the active camo. Every time the player used it in the E for Everyone demonstration, and he used it a lot, I could barely tell that it was activated. There is no way that the enemy couldn't have seen him. The previews also said it made the game too easy, since you could just use it and be 95% hidden each time. I would have liked it instead if the suit properly blended him in or just made him invisible, but had also had a limit on how long you could have it on and gave it a recharge time. That would have made the game more challenging, in that you would have to properly time the situations when you need to use it, instead of using it all the time to get through each section with ease.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm really liking how combat looks this time in the game. My only complaint remains the active camo. Every time the player used it in the E for Everyone demonstration, and he used it a lot, I could barely tell that it was activated. There is no way that the enemy couldn't have seen him. The previews also said it made the game too easy, since you could just use it and be 95% hidden each time. I would have liked it instead if the suit properly blended him in or just made him invisible, but had also had a limit on how long you could have it on and gave it a recharge time. That would have made the game more challenging, in that you would have to properly time the situations when you need to use it, instead of using it all the time to get through each section with ease.

Maybe with 'Hard' mode enemies will be more aware of their surroundings? Sometimes in previews 'Ultra-n00bz0r' mode is the best way to showcase your game and all the elements that are included w/o showing everyone how much you suck at your own game. Would be funny, but lame to be watching a demonstration of some newb sucking it up and dieing all the time while he/she is just trying to show different game elements.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Go and teach yourself more about our senses and how we perceive them.
    You will be amazed at how easy it is to fool somebody. You only need to break up the human pattern, because people recognise others at a distance by sillouette, shapes and type of movement. Break just those three things, via random marks that can fool the eye into seeing you as a different shape and moving differently, and you will blend into the background unless you start moving fast.
    We have a really hard time seeing things we don't expect to see. It's probably the hardest thing to grasp as being true, but if a person moves in a way others aren't expecting and looks slightly off, he probably wont be noticed.
    You however, know that Snake just activated a camoflage, so your eyes and brain are looking for it. You expect to see Snake, so you can. It makes all the difference.

I don't really care about the rest of your complaint, gameplay wise, just that one line is completely wrong.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Matt Butrovich: You recently said there would be no Playstation Network demo before the launch of the game, and that E For All would be the only opportunity for US gamers to try it out. Why is that?

Ryan Payton: Oh, that’s an easy question. The reason is because we’re showing the game off at E For All. We’re giving people basically a fifteen minute test of the game. You can get to the end of the demo in this version, but it’s not perfect. The game we’re working on right now in the studio, the retail version of the game is actually quite different. We’ve been tweaking the threat ring - when you go into alert mode, then caution mode, and then normal mode, that’s changed as well. The control scheme has changed a little bit. The menus have changed. There’s so many different things that if we put this game on the Playstation Store it would feel like a beta test. And we know that people would be breaking the game playing it over and over and over again and looking at how the AI’s not complete yet.

With that said, we want to bring the game out and let people play it in their own homes and play this demo, but we feel that it’s not a 100% representation of the retail version of the game. So as of right now there’s no plans. Could that change in the future? It could, and I know people are disappointed. But we feel it’s best for the game and for the gamer not to get an unfinished demo.

Link

His excuse is understandable but no demo until after the games release? Are you shitting me?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Matt Butrovich: You recently said there would be no Playstation Network demo before the launch of the game, and that E For All would be the only opportunity for US gamers to try it out. Why is that?

Ryan Payton: Oh, that’s an easy question. The reason is because we’re showing the game off at E For All. We’re giving people basically a fifteen minute test of the game. You can get to the end of the demo in this version, but it’s not perfect. The game we’re working on right now in the studio, the retail version of the game is actually quite different. We’ve been tweaking the threat ring - when you go into alert mode, then caution mode, and then normal mode, that’s changed as well. The control scheme has changed a little bit. The menus have changed. There’s so many different things that if we put this game on the Playstation Store it would feel like a beta test. And we know that people would be breaking the game playing it over and over and over again and looking at how the AI’s not complete yet.

With that said, we want to bring the game out and let people play it in their own homes and play this demo, but we feel that it’s not a 100% representation of the retail version of the game. So as of right now there’s no plans. Could that change in the future? It could, and I know people are disappointed. But we feel it’s best for the game and for the gamer not to get an unfinished demo.

Link

His excuse is understandable but no demo until after the games release? Are you shitting me?

I think thats a good thing. How many times now has a demo come out before the game (Demos that arn't polished) which give people the wrong idea about the full game. I'm looking at you Heavenly Sword :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm really liking how combat looks this time in the game. My only complaint remains the active camo. Every time the player used it in the E for Everyone demonstration, and he used it a lot, I could barely tell that it was activated. There is no way that the enemy couldn't have seen him.[/i The previews also said it made the game too easy, since you could just use it and be 95% hidden each time. I would have liked it instead if the suit properly blended him in or just made him invisible, but had also had a limit on how long you could have it on and gave it a recharge time. That would have made the game more challenging, in that you would have to properly time the situations when you need to use it, instead of using it all the time to get through each section with ease.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to fool somebody. You only need to break up the human pattern, because people recognise others at a distance by silluette, shapes and type of movement. Break just those three things, via random marks that can fool the eye into seeing you as a different shape and moving differently, and you will blend into the background unless you start moving fast.
    We have a really hard time seeing things we don't expect to see. It's probably the hardest thing to grasp as being true, but if a person moves in a way others aren't expecting and looks slightly off, he probably wont be noticed.
    You however, know that Snake just activated a camoflage, so your eyes and brain are looking for it. You expect to see Snake, so you can. It makes all the difference.

I don't really care about the rest of your complaint, gameplay wise, just that one line is completely wrong.

Looks like I upset someone with that comment. I know how the eye works, but you can't tell me a guard isn't going to see a man just kneeling on the ground before a wall, not even pressed against it, as he walks around a corner. Most of the time the player used the feature, he didn't even blend in well at all. Just because the colour of his suit is slightly the same colour of a wall, a floor pattern, or a garbage can doesn't mean you're going to totally miss spotting him from less than a foot away. At a distance, possibly, but it showed guards walking less than an arms-reach away from Snake and completely missing him. It's unrealistic and made the presentation feel too easy.

Perhaps the other difficulty levels won't be so forgiving, as the other poster said, and if so, I'll probably play on that mode. I just think the actual visual effect could have used some work, and perhaps have given it a few restrictions to make it more challenging and strategic, like the limit of use or recharge time.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Link

I think thats a good thing. How many times now has a demo come out before the game (Demos that arn't polished) which give people the wrong idea about the full game. I'm looking at you Heavenly Sword :)

And yet there are plenty of other demos out there which have really helped the game sell. Hell, I wouldn't be buying R&C Future if I didn't play the demo. And while I'll buy MGS4 regardless, it could change a lot of other peoples minds about the game (specifically the ones that hated the old control system).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm really liking how combat looks this time in the game. My only complaint remains the active camo. Every time the player used it in the E for Everyone demonstration, and he used it a lot, I could barely tell that it was activated. There is no way that the enemy couldn't have seen him.[/i The previews also said it made the game too easy, since you could just use it and be 95% hidden each time. I would have liked it instead if the suit properly blended him in or just made him invisible, but had also had a limit on how long you could have it on and gave it a recharge time. That would have made the game more challenging, in that you would have to properly time the situations when you need to use it, instead of using it all the time to get through each section with ease.

You will be amazed at how easy it is to fool somebody. You only need to break up the human pattern, because people recognise others at a distance by silluette, shapes and type of movement. Break just those three things, via random marks that can fool the eye into seeing you as a different shape and moving differently, and you will blend into the background unless you start moving fast.

Looks like I upset someone with that comment. I know how the eye works, but you can't tell me a guard isn't going to see a man just kneeling on the ground before a wall, not even pressed against it, as he walks around a corner. Most of the time the player used the feature, he didn't even blend in well at all. Just because the colour of his suit is slightly the same colour of a wall, a floor pattern, or a garbage can doesn't mean you're going to totally miss spotting him from less than a foot away. At a distance, possibly, but it showed guards walking less than an arms-reach away from Snake and completely missing him. It's unrealistic and made the presentation feel too easy.

Perhaps the other difficulty levels won't be so forgiving, as the other poster said, and if so, I'll probably play on that mode. I just think the actual visual effect could have used some work, and perhaps have given it a few restrictions to make it more challenging and strategic, like the limit of use or recharge time.

I can tell you that. People completely fail to see things much more obvious than that.
    As much as we'd like to believe we sense everything around us and are good at spotting things that are out of place, we really aren't.
    You don't even have to blend in much at all. You just have to blend enough, and people will walk right by you, oblivious, because you don't fit into what they expect to see.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I dig the gameplay and I've played most of the games (though its been a long time on some of them) but can anyone tell me WTF is going on with the storyline in the series? I don't have a clue. Is there a nice summary with a timeline anywhere? Story is so confusing O_o

powersurge on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    I dig the gameplay and I've played most of the games (though its been a long time on some of them) but can anyone tell me WTF is going on with the storyline in the series? I don't have a clue. Is there a nice summary with a timeline anywhere? Story is so confusing O_o

Well... what, specifically, do you have questions about? It's kinda hard to generalize.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If I remember the first gameplay trailer correctly, he does.
    Good to know.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bump for lack of conversation and true greatness this game will display.

QFT?

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bwah? wrote: »
    Bump for lack of conversation and true greatness this game will display.

QFT?

Of course. We need a damn MGS4 thread anyways with the game coming so soon. I watched the Kojima gameplay video and it looks awesome. Im REALLY psyched about MGO though. As soon as I find a place that will get me a beta code or a gaurantee of one, Im preordering... and I despise preordering games.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good, then it's settled; you are in charge of creating the MGS4: Guns of the Patriots thread..I shall endorse your works.

Also, if you do find a good place to pre-order I demand you post it here as well...as I hate pre-ordering too!

or my name isn't solid sn...ake..oh it isn't ..anyways.

metal-gear-solid-4-portada.jpg

edit: old news, new news..whatever
    http://www.konami.com/ctlimg/konami/pressrelease/02_28_2008_MGS4_DPS.pdf
    According to this PDF, those who pre-order in April (from konami???) will be given codes to play in the online beta, and get a special "Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD"

sign me up.

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So are there different versions of the game to buy? Like Halo had with limited, legendary and regular? If so, I need to get some friends' help as I might be moving out of my area soon.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman