As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saiga 7.62x39mm or .308?

PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I can't decide which to buy. There is approximately a $100 price difference between the two and a 5x multiplier for ammo prices. While price isn't that big a deal, I'm just not sure the difference in ballistics warrants the additional cost for the upcoming zombie invasion. What would you gentlemen suggest?

PeekingDuck on

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For zombies, either of those will do the trick. I say go with the cheaper 7.62x39. More money to buy more rounds.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone disappointed in a Saiga of any stripe. I'd go with the 7.62 Russian though. With .308/7.62 x 51 NATO at the price it is, I'd rather fire it from a platform better regarded in terms of accuracy.

Less scientifically, I also just have a thing for preferring designs using NATO rounds coming from nations that actually use the stuff themselves.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, I think I was obviously leaning towards that. Just needed to hear some other people here it. Now it is a matter of time before I get bit by the conversion bug. :)

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I vote for russian as well.

Doc on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love this forum sometimes

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    CylaranaCylarana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like the .308. Ballistic twin of the 30-06 in a short case? Yes please :D
    Disclaimer--I've put DPMS's .308 bull barreled AR15 on my christmas list the last four years running.

Cylarana on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'll probably end up buying one of each anyway, I'll just get the Russian first. I figure it will be a lot easier to get good with it if I can fire off 1000 rounds vs. bankrupting myself with 308 ammo. Plus if they are those fast zombies from 28 days/weeks, I have a feeling I'll need more ammo rather than less of a larger caliber.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Cylarana wrote: »
    Disclaimer--I've put DPMS's .308 bull barreled AR15 on my christmas list the last four years running.

Eh, unless he's doing hunting with it, it's not really necessary.

This is from a guy who just bought an M1A.

Doc on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doc wrote: »

Eh, unless he's doing hunting with it, it's not really necessary.

This is from a guy who just bought an M1A.

Apparently he's going hunting for zombies. ;)

If this actually becomes necessary, I'll be glad I read this thread I suppose.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well... Zombies or Frenchmen, whichever becomes a problem first.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    .308 ammo is drying up. Considering half the world still uses a variant of the AKM, 7.62x39 ammo will be more abundant and will be cheaper.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Where do you live that .308 is drying up? The local shops have tons of it, and only 1-4 loads for 7.62X39. Lets not even talk about 7.62X54 :evil: Or 8X56 Hungarian (I've got rifles in both).
    That'll learn me to like obscure calibers I guess :cry:

Cylarana on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Where do you live that .308 is drying up? The local shops have tons of it, and only 1-4 loads for 7.62X39. Lets not even talk about 7.62X54 :evil: Or 8X56 Hungarian (I've got rifles in both).
    That'll learn me to like obscure calibers I guess :cry:

I can get a box of 20 rounds of surplus 7.62x54R that fires great for $4. I'm extremely lucky if I can get a box of .308 for $10.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    All I have to say is that you suck then :p
    The local Academy doesn't sell 7.62X54 anymore, and it's an arm at a leg at Gander Mountain. The two local gunshops are always cost prohibitive with ammo.
    .308 I can get a box for 10 or 12 bucks. It isn't dirt cheap, but it ain't bad (about the same as the 30-30 ammo), and it is all over.

Cylarana on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    On a related note--anyone got any suggestions fora good gun safe that isn't 600+ dollars? I'm moving into a house soon, so I'll be able to finally get a safe to store my long guns. I only have about 6 right now (some shotguns, some rifles) but it's growing steadily :D

Cylarana on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think if you are having a hard time getting 7.62x54r you are in the minority. I can find cheap czech silvertip for my Mosin all over the place here.

Boutros on
  • Options
    BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I dont often see it suggested here, and always wonder why.
    If you are putting a lot of rounds through a centrefire anything, why not look at loading your own? You can buy a reloading kit with everything you need for not a lot of money. If you are shooting a fair bit, it is a whole lot cheaper than buying factory ammo. The kit will pretty much pay for itself within a few months, especially with larger calibers.

Something like a Lee progressive press costs very little, and can turn out 100 rounds an hour being used by somebody with little to no experience reloading after the initial setup.

Belketre on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Actually, a work table set up for reloading is on my list, but in my current (600 sq ft) apartment, I don't really have room. I'm in negotiations to buy a house though, and if I get it, one room is going to be firearms and fish tanks :)

Cylarana on
  • Options
    BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes, room to do it probably helps.
    I have the good fortune of having a large shed which I have turned into a workshop. Do all my own gunsmithing these days too. Room for lathes, mills etc is kinda nice.

Belketre on