As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW burnout, where to turn?

DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
I've somehow managed to beat my WoW addiction, but now I'm left with a rather large hole in my gaming life. I've tried LoTR, TR, and CoH in recent times and just can't get into them. I'm finding out that the ease of use in WoW from it's leveling curve down to it's control scheme has spoiled me for other games. Nothing seems to live up to WoW, even though I currently can't stand the game. I know the old saying "you'll be back!", but for now I can't see it happening any time soon.

So, my question is:

Is there really life after WoW in MMOs?

Doomulon on

• Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you enjoy other genres besides MMOs? Just wondering, since the only popular MMO you haven't done seems to be Eve.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I found EQ2 was fairly decent overall. I'm kinda waiting for something else to come out myself and recently resubscribed to WoW to fill some time.

djklay on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think it's really hard to adjust to any other kind of game after playing one specific kind for a very long time. During one of my WoWbreaks I tried getting back into my PS2 RPGs, like .Hack. I played it for maybe 5 minutes and thought it sucked. It probably does, but whatever.

Instead of trying to get into other games, take a break from games all together. Start reading some books or go play some sports (since weather is finally getting nicer). That way when you come back to video games you'll have a clean mind. Hopefully you will have forgotten all about WoW and CoX and LotRO.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For the love of god play some games other than MMOs. :|

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Knowing your hobbies and other genres you enjoy would really be helpful :rotate:

Edit:

Also your phone number, cell number, home address, social security number, password to any alarm systems, ATM card number, and the times you're usually in a shower (if you shower by a window).

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When was the last time you tried CoH, any idea what issue? It has gone through some major changes.
    The leveling speed has been dramatically increased, they've got some great new zones/content, a loot system (Inventions) was introduced, weapon customization was added, and I know you can change the controls to be exactly like WoW now.
    Plus i12 sounds amazing.

Oh, and if you reactivate an old account that has been dormant for 90 days with a code from a current subscriber you'll get 45 days for the price of 30 plus the guy who gives you the code gets 15 free.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    turns out life doesn't actually go on after WoW

who knew

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    When was the last time you tried CoH, any idea what issue? It has gone through some major changes.
    The leveling speed has been dramatically increased, they've got some great new zones/content, a loot system (Inventions) was introduced, weapon customization was added, and I know you can change the controls to be exactly like WoW now.
    Plus i12 sounds amazing.

Oh, and if you reactivate an old account that has been dormant for 90 days with a code from a current subscriber you'll get 45 days for the price of 30 plus the guy who gives you the code gets 15 free.

Shit, I shoulda done that, I just went and resubbed, like a fool, paying the 30 day price for 30 days, and not giving anyone free days!

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You might want to give EQ2 a try, its gameplay is quite similar to WoW. Less polish and much higher system requirements, but a solid game none the less. Play around with the Alternate Models option if you dislike the original humanoid models, you might like them better.

My only major complaint are the odd graphical bottlenecks (fast way to improve performance is playing with shadow settings, flora displacement (?!) and rendering distance).

Glal on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll second playing something besides an MMO.

Whenever I take a break from WoW I often play Team Fortress 2. It has a relatively simple class system I can enjoy and silly silly characters.

Quid on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I left wow, the raiding and social structure kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I guess I'm a sucker for forced grouping and server communities.
    Stop by our FFXI thread if this is up your alley.
    If you like to solo to endgame, and play more casually. Steer clear.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I like how anytime a thread like this comes out a bunch of us act like Military Recruiters from different branches all trying to get that high school senior to sign up with our branch.

Accualt on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My answer is always a resounding, "get the fuck away from MMOs." I apparently haven't been able to do it, but I always hope for better for my comrades.

Read more books, if you need a similarly cheap hobby. Obviously, console games will be very costly to occupy the same amount of time that WoW did.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well you'd have experience with military recruiters :rotate:.

I like how he hasn't posted any response yet, seeing as knowing what genre he likes besides MMOs really would be useful.

Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't understand why you'd replace one MMO "addiction" with another. Play Super Metroid.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    I don't understand why you'd replace one MMO "addiction" with another. Play Super Metroid.

Because the addiction never ended, the addiction was to MMOs in general, or at least that seems likely. That's the only way I could ever explain threads or questions like this.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Someone should develop a 12-step program. Then maybe I'd talk to my friends again.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Soviet Waffle on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Too much math. :(

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol. Serious? It takes like 2 seconds.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I could be playing WoW during those two seconds.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There is no magic bullet MMO for you. I rotated through several of them before coming back to WoW and then burning out on it again. And again. And again. LOTRO = shallower, combat a bit distant, fun to play as a hobbit for a 10-day trial. EQ2 = combat distant and annoying (1234567890 to fight every mob as a melee dps, yay!) COH = repetitive, not nearly as deep. I'm holding off on MMO's for now to see if WAR, AOC, Aion, or TCoS is any good. Actually my RL has improved so much since I quit WoW a fourth time that I'm hoping I don't go back.

If you like the teamplay PVP elements of WoW, I'd recommend COD4. Single-player RPG's send me running for WoW PVE, WoW PVP sends me running for COD4.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    With your WoW subscription money you could subscribe to GameTap or Gamefly and have hundreds of thousands of games at your disposal.

urahonky on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shit I've been out of WOW for a full calendar year now and I think I'm as likely to rejoin tomorrow as I ever was. Which is a dammed scary thought.

This is I what've done since:
    I've got back into reading
    Started back reading non WOW forums
    Broke out my DS
    Moved countries
    Gone out more

End of the day I think that for a lot of people, once they've played a MMO like WOW (and probably any well designed, busy MMO) for a significant length of time (say a year) and participated in the social side of things they find it hard to go back to other types of games for any length of time. Which is also a scary thought.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    There is nothing in WoW that you can't experience in any number of amazing games out there. Just busting out a DS isn't good enough, look into console games.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    MMOs, by their very nature of persistent progress, benefits to grouping, typically cooperative nature of questing/raiding, and central meeting locations, encourage socialization with people you don't know to a much higher degree then any other genre of game can hope to.

That is the reason I love MMOs.

Accualt on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Nissl wrote: »
    Actually my RL has improved so much since I quit WoW a fourth time that I'm hoping I don't go back.

I read that as "raid leader".

Where's that 12-step program, you say?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    MMOs, by their very nature of persistent progress, benefits to grouping, typically cooperative nature of questing/raiding, and central meeting locations, encourage socialization with people you don't know to a much higher degree then any other genre of game can hope to.

That is the reason I love MMOs.
    Accualt.

You and I? We are like this.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Shall we get married, then?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Shall we get married, then?
    But that means you'd have to get a divorce.

Would you get to keep the huskie?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No, no I don't imagine I would be able to. :(

On the upside I would save a fortune on Lent Rollers.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No, no I don't imagine I would be able to. :(

On the upside I would save a fortune on Lent Rollers.

I'm imagining tumbleweed-like nuns...

MMOs are alright, but I find it hard enough not getting annoyed with myself over the amount of time playing PC games and surfing forums.

I've recently transferred my gaming to consoles, though, and have discovered how much fun it is to play a few hours here and there in scheduled co-op sessions.

It's also allowed me to separate my work and my entertainment.

Doronron on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I dunno, I dropped WoW in early December. I ended up getting the Orange Box, got into the TF2 beta then played TF2 a lot until Rock Band came out. I obviously wasn't hanging out with my siblings and friends enough and both those games have assisted that.

Also, bar hopping + excercise every now and then as opposed to the times I did while playing WoW (which was zero).

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Eve is pretty awesome, and there is even a great little Penny Arcade corp that will gladly treat you like a dirty noob and piss all over you for not doing things the right way.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MMO's are the new arcades, but cheaper, and not as much variety.

How many of you lined up when you were just wee lads, to drop your quarters or tokens into Street Fighter II, or that new fangled Mortal Kombat, with the blood and fatalities, only to have your ass kicked by some punk ass teenager, who spends all his time there, challenging everyone. Then after you'd had enough humiliation you'd move on to skee ball, or the crane games, or some shotting games, with those huge plastic guns. Hell, you assholes, probably even played that crappy Aerosmith game. Don't pretend like you didn't, you did.

Then one day, you grew up a little, MK and SF just didn't deliver, nobody was there to play you, now that you finally mastered cheaping everyone with Raiden and his <- <- ->, forcing them to block while you widdled away their health, or Scorpion with his "Get Over Here" Upper Cut "Get Over Here" Upper Cut! Deadly combo. Not even the new versions of the games satisfied, for there was a new player in town, and his name was 3D. So you abandoned your 2d ways, where you were finally the master and commander. You stepped up, dropped in your fiddy cents, your opponent knows exactly where their character is, and has them selected before you even see the full screen. Yoshimitsu they choose, he looks like a robot ninja.. ok you think, I'll choose this guy, he looks good. King. He must be good with a name like that. But he isn't good, or at least you aren't with him. One throw and a charged up sword thrust and the first round is over, everyone looks at you like you are some sort of dumbshit for not seeing that coming. I mean come'on, that's the cheapest combo in game, everyone knows to avoid that. Round two begins, beads of sweat drip into your eyes, you are determined not to look like a dumbshit again. You take advantage of this new 3d environment, and sidestep away from that first grapple, thinking you've got the upper hand now, you decide to hit an attack button. But it's already over my friend. You don't know this, but all of standing around know this. I mean, you didn't really expect to beat Chad on your first time did you. It's Chad we're talking about, he's a Sr. and skips 7th period Study Hall everyday, so he can be the first one on the machine.

All excited that you're about to inflict some damage, but before your attack animation has even started, Yoshimitsu is spinning like a mad man.

"OH SHIT! OH SHIT!"
    "Oh, that didn't do much damage at all, I can survive some more of that.." you foolishly think.
    "What's this, my opponent is turning his back to me..." and then, once again it's over, driving his sword th rough his own abdomen, into your's, you've taken just enough damage to die from it. Yes once again, you look like a dumbshit, getting two shotted. Maybe once it's the 4th graders turn to play.

More or less..

So as you can see, Arcades and MMOs are just alike, it's a bunch of strangers gathered around together, showing each other how big their make believe dicks are, and making everyone else who's make believe dick isn't as big as theirs feel like shit. It really is the social aspect, well that, and having the biggest make believe dick.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Unless you're in the 90% of the population who doesn't give a shit about PVP nor competitive games in general, and just hang around to have fun with their coop games, talk with friends and maybe share a trick or two along the way.

Glal on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What if you don't care about the other person's dick?

What if I just want to make my dick bigger?

(Haha, Chad.)

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    My answer is always a resounding, "get the fuck away from MMOs." I apparently haven't been able to do it, but I always hope for better for my comrades.

Read more books, if you need a similarly cheap hobby. Obviously, console games will be very costly to occupy the same amount of time that WoW did.

Similarly cheap? Even at 5 bucks a book from the local warehouse overstocker cheap as chips seller, I could easily go through thirty bucks a week just reading books.
    I basically stopped because I ran out of shit to read at the local library and the libraries in the city I've moved to are less than adequate.

What I'm trying to say is you read slow.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Similarly cheap? Even at 5 bucks a book from the local warehouse overstocker cheap as chips seller, I could easily go through thirty bucks a week just reading books.
    I basically stopped because I ran out of shit to read at the local library and the libraries in the city I've moved to are less than adequate.

What I'm trying to say is you read slow.
    Ouch.
    Thats all I can say. Or perhaps, owned.

Smashism on
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I should hop back in and respond. I have played Eve in beta, but found the interface intimidating and the idea of leveling skills offline silly. I can't see myself getting into Eve because of the absolute disadvantage I would have in a mainly PvP game because of all the people who have been in since day one. I have heard many horror stories about Eve PvP, and since I tend to get all bent out of shape over PvP in other games (I try not to take things personally, but I still get pissed off), I tend to shy away from it in general.

Here's a few other MMOs I have played:

FFXI: I would still be playing with it if Square/Enix didn't act like fucktards and delete whole accounts characters and all after 3 months of account inactivity (is digital storage in that short of supply in Japan? O_o). R.I.P. lv 43 Red Mage and lv 57 Paladin (separate characters).

SWG: New Game Enhancements (NGE), 'nuff said. (I'd still play if it were a bug-fixed version of the pre- "Combat Upgrade" era plus Jump to Lightspeed). Sony in general can bite my ass for ruining other games like Planetside, too.

Planetside: MMOFPS games may not have been meant to be. Also, see SWG comment.

Shadowbane: Free-for-all PvP and the ability to completely trash another guild's hard earned achievements in the form of player-built castle/cities ruined it for me, plus going back to it later I don't know how the hell I put up with the controls.

Any other Asian MMO I have tried: Get off your high fucking horses with the uber level grinds and get some new material you hacks! It's like hearing the same bad joke over and over with them.

Doomulon on