As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] Devil May Phalla - Devil Hunter victory!

BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
You've heard of it, haven't you? The legend of Sparda? When I was young, my father would tell me stories about it. Long ago, in ancient times, a demon rebelled against his own kind for the sake of the human race.

With his sword, he shut the portal to the demonic realm and sealed the evil entity off from our human world. But since he was a demon himself, his power was also trapped on the other side.

I never believed it. I thought it was just a child's fairy-tale. Then, I discovered that the so-called legend wasn't a myth at all.

Sparda existed.

How do I know? Well... I met the sons of Sparda - Both of them. Though the same blood of their father flowed through their veins, the two battled each other fiercely like arch enemies. It almost seemed as if they derived some twisted pleasure from it.

But that was many years ago, and there was another part of the legend my father told me. After Sparda had sealed the portal to the demon realm, he went on a pilgrimage of many years to exorcise the rage from within his own heart.

Supposedly, somewhere, somehow, Sparda's rage still festers, ready to take revenge upon his bloodline.

devil0101.jpg

What is this?
This is a mini-phalla for 25 players based on the video game Devil May Cry. To find out what a phalla is, go here; typical rules such as no screencaps, no anonymous contact, all apply. Every day, you will be voting to throw someone down a bottomless pit that also happens to contain a giant demon that will eat anything thrown into the pit; !vote to push someone into the pit in red and retract your votes in !lime. Days will (hopefully) begin and end at 8pm GMT - yes, this is ridiculously early for the majority of you, but it will not be as large an inconvenience as you might think.

What's the twist?
At the end of every day you will be able to purchase new items and abilities from the shop, using red orbs. Every player will have a way to earn red orbs, not just special roles, so all of you will wind up being able to buy new actions. The shop's contents are in the spoiler.
items.jpg
abilities.jpg

The order of actions every day will be; manipulative actions or items > defensive actions or items > offensive actions or items > vote. If the lead vote holder is killed before the vote takes place, then the vote will affect the runner up. Until further notice you may use as many actions or items in a night as you wish.

Please PM me every day with your shop choices and ability/item uses. In addition, please PM me with the link to any proboards that you may set up. Rules clarifications can be asked in bolded orange.

Clarifications so far:
Burnage wrote: »
Ultarune wrote: »
After reading that game rundown I only have 2 questions. The codex Exuro, does that teach you one of the abilities, or are skills different than abilities? Also, what is Devil Trigger, I've never played any of the Devil May Cry games?

Exuro will teach you one of the abilities from the shop (or something very similar). This ability is not random and will be the same for everyone who buys the Codex.

Devil Trigger in the games is where your character turns into a demon and gains some extra powers - you hit harder, move faster, take less damage and regenerate your health. Devil Trigger's effects in this phalla are intended to be a mystery.

Last Son wrote: »
Do you need to buy Taunt before Taunt level 2, Gunslinger before Swordmaster, and so on?

Taunt and Quicksilver need to be bought before Taunt Level 2 and Quicksilver Level 2, and level 2 before level 3, but other abilities have no such restriction.

Player List
1. FrostMist
2. Gumpy
3. fadingathedges
4. Egos

5. Toxic Toys
6. Oatway
7. TheLawinator
8. Last Son
9. cj iwakura

10. ultarune
11. stew_stick
12. FreeAgent
13. Trust
14. real_pochacco
15. Grundlterror
16. B:L

17. Rainfall
18. El Skid

19. Squashua
20. Seriously
21. Maximus
22. Shamus
23. Durax
24. KrataLightblade

25. Mr. Defecation

Reserves

Day 0 Narration
Day 1 Narration
Day 2 Narration

Burnage on

• FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !Sign up

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !Sign up

Gumpy on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !sign up

fadingathedges on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    of course, I !sign up because the Burnage rules.

Egos on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    While I would normally be all over this, I need to get back to work on my own game.

Also, if you threw someone down a bottomless pit, technically they wouldn't be dead for a while. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !sign up I hope you all can handle my stylish combos.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Also, if you threw someone down a bottomless pit, technically they wouldn't be dead for a while. :P

bottomles-pit.jpg

Burnage on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !Sign up.

Oats on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !Sign up
    Finally! Something to do since I'm dead.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited March 2008

bottomles-pit.jpg
    That's not bottomless!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2008

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k58/Burnage13/bottomles-pit.jpg
    That's not bottomless!

What does the sign say.

Burnage on
    edited March 2008

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k58/Burnage13/bottomles-pit.jpg
    That's not bottomless!

What does the sign say.
    It lieeessss.

Edit: I am willing to have you change the OP to state that you shall throw them down THE Bottomless Pit. (Which is a name, not a title)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2008
    this will be fun! ^^

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Edit: I am willing to have you change the OP to state that you shall throw them down THE Bottomless Pit. (Which is a name, not a title)

Are you happy now, MacSpectre? Are you?

Burnage on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So it actually has a bottom?

So can we assume anyone who dies from it dies because of the fall damage?

Gumpy on
    edited March 2008
    OP updated with a better description of the bottomless pit and why it will kill you.

Burnage on
    edited March 2008
    Why even throw them in a pit?

Also, couldn't everyone slay the demon? I mean, the players are demon hunters.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2008
    *laughs* that's the spirit!

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    smt3-dantea.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2008
    I'll be here all night folks, try the veal.

Edit: Actually, I wont. I require sleep. <3 Burnage.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2008
    CJ there is a surprise in this game just for you.

People are being thrown down the pit because all of you enjoy watching people fall down pits. And if you wish to fight the pit-demon, you may vote in turquoise to do so. I assure you it will not go well for you.
    <3 Spectre

Burnage on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I !sign up.. The closing time won't actually bother me that much, I'll probably be at work a couple days a week but the majority I should be around.

Last Son on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This couldn't occur during a crazier time, but what the heck.

!sign up, but my activity might be limited.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Collected Clarifications:
    After reading that game rundown I only have 2 questions. The codex Exuro, does that teach you one of the abilities, or are skills different than abilities? Also, what is Devil Trigger, I've never played any of the Devil May Cry games?

Exuro will teach you one of the abilities from the shop (or something very similar). This ability is not random and will be the same for everyone who buys the Codex.

Devil Trigger in the games is where your character turns into a demon and gains some extra powers - you hit harder, move faster, take less damage and regenerate your health. Devil Trigger's effects in this phalla are intended to be a mystery.

Last Son wrote: »
    Do you need to buy Taunt before Taunt level 2, Gunslinger before Swordmaster, and so on?

Taunt and Quicksilver need to be bought before Taunt Level 2 and Quicksilver Level 2, and level 2 before level 3, but other abilities have no such restriction.

Ultarune on
  • Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !sign up

Stew_Stick on
    edited March 2008

Ultarune on
    edited March 2008

Burnage on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

You need to, at least the 1st one.

Toxic Toys on
    edited March 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

All 3 of them are pretty awesome, to be fair.

Funny how they never made DMC2.

Burnage on
    edited March 2008
    the 4th one is out too :wink:

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
    edited March 2008
    they never made DMC2.

Burnage on
    edited March 2008
    hmm - d'oh, completely missed that *S* is it like the missing LSL game which he just slept through the whole thing?

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Last Son on
    edited March 2008
    I still need to play DMC4 but I have yet to take the a step into the NewGen.

Damn, I so want to play DMC now.

Toxic Toys on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh hell yes !sign up.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

I only have a Wii currently, is there a pc port, and does it not suck?

Ultarune on
    edited March 2008
    there is a pc version of 3 afaik, but it sucks hard

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    !Sign-Up.

I'm blessed or something, 2 GMT mini-Phallas back to back :)

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
    edited March 2008
    yeah - it's good to have GMT phallas ^^

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When is this going to start? I will be able to play from Wednesday night on, but until then I can't. Or, at least, I won't be very active.

Meh whatever, !sign up

Is this going to be more traditional? Bad guy roles? Please? After playing Gods of Phalla and Phallout I'm kinda tired with moral ambiguity and the lack of a "bad guy element".

real_pochacco on