As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Go Bo Sox

Fuck the Yankees

Tessie and all that wahoo

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bhealey wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Butters, do you support instant replay in baseball?

It's tough to say. I am definitely against horrendous officiating and incredibly inconsistent strikezone calling. Is instant replay the only solution? We've got that box thing on TV that shows where the ball went exactly.

But I would hate for the game to go the way of
    After further review of the call in question the call on the field stands...ball two.
    BOO! YOU SUCK!

I definitely like the idea of technology calling the balls and strikes. That seems so much more efficient to me.

I would really really hate that. It would change the way the game is played entirely.

Yes, the viewing experience would be basically the same, but the game would change. Pitchers could no longer work the corners, fishing for a close strike call. Walks will go through the roof, which may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

Maybe I'm biased as a pitcher, but I would just really hate that.

You can work the corners still. You just have to actually hit them. The way I see it pitchers would benefit just as much as hitters. If I had a time for every 2-0 pitch in the ALCS called a ball that was shown to be a strike I would have a shit load of dimes and twice as many nickels.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    LahnLahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jesus, is it already this time of the year?

Lahn on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My O's are in FULL rebuild - but God bless Andy MacPhail he started off right.

Look Mariner Fans, hope you like Bedard for 2 years before he asks for Santana money and splits.

meanwhile:: 35984777.jpg

35788470.jpg

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    HA HA HA! Orioles. You kill me, FortyTwo.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Fuck you Butters. Go try to tell people that Brian Regan is funny again.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2008
    Geovanny Soto (his first name is hard to spell) should have a pretty good year. I'm half convinced that he was the reason the Cubs got into the playoffs last year.

The Cubs could have a better season than last year. The team seems to be more of a team than they were at the start of last season, so there shouldn't be any team fistfights.

Seriously though, fuck Michael Barrett. The only good thing he ever did was jack AJ Piersinzki in the face.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Pretty sure you're in the minority on that one, bucko.

Also, Baltimore HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Shut the fuck up Boston. Crying little bitches. "wah wah wah the Yankees spend so much money, its wrong!!"

Oh wait? what? We have the SECOND highest payroll in baseball - oh - well its okay then.

Fucking New England Yankees

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hating the sox and yankees is one of my favorite parts of the game

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Geovanny Soto (his first name is hard to spell) should have a pretty good year. I'm half convinced that he was the reason the Cubs got into the playoffs last year.

The Cubs could have a better season than last year. The team seems to be more of a team than they were at the start of last season, so there shouldn't be any team fistfights.

Seriously though, fuck Michael Barrett. The only good thing he ever did was jack AJ Piersinzki in the face.

Geebs. The Cubs still covet Brain Roberts.

Names that have floated around are Cedeno, Gallagher and then 2 other pitchers of an un-named variety.

What say you?

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    mrpaku wrote: »

they are one and the same. 80% of their fans are obnoxious bandwagon jumpers that infest visiting ballparks. loud, rude, belligerent, drunk assholes all of them.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Names that have floated around are Cedeno, Gallagher and then 2 other pitchers of an un-named variety.

What say you?

I woudn't miss cedeno that's for sure and I don't even really know who gallagher is so I'm for it

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    bhealey wrote: »

I hate you. Regan is absolutely one of the best comedians today.

And the Orioles are gonna blow for 3+ years, I don't know why anyone would deny this.

Regan is not funny. "OOOOO A WHOLE BIT ABOUT FIG NEWTONS?!?!!!"

And when did I say that the Orioles wouldn't suck? I said they were in FULL rebuild mode.

See not all teams can go out and buy shit like Boston and New York can.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Given the trending:

2007 AL East 69-93 (.426)
    2006 AL East 70-92 (.432)
    2005 AL East 74-88 (.457)
    2004 AL East 78-84 (.481)
    2003 AL East 71-91 (.438)
    2002 AL East 67-95 (.414)
    2001 AL East 63-98 (.391)
    2000 AL East 74-88 (.457)
    1999 AL East 78-84 (.481)
    1998 AL East 79-83 (.488)

You have to be very hopeful to think that this year the Orioles will grow into a winning team. They are "rebuilding" by selling off anybody worthwhile and their pitching is a mess.

My sister is a lifelong O's fan and I go see a few games every year, but looking at the big picture, I can't do much more than wish upon a star or something for them to have a decent season.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

they are one and the same. 80% of their fans are obnoxious bandwagon jumpers that infest visiting ballparks. loud, rude, belligerent, drunk assholes all of them.

it was great going to games and seeing well over half the crowd decked out in visitor's apparel

and then whomping them during the regular season

mrpaku on
  • Options
    bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Shut the fuck up Boston. Crying little bitches. "wah wah wah the Yankees spend so much money, its wrong!!"

Oh wait? what? We have the SECOND highest payroll in baseball - oh - well its okay then.

Were you hoping for me to disagree? I'm an Indians fan, dawg. Fuck Boston, New York, and B-more. Why don't you go let Texas or whoever put 30 runs on the board?

EDIT: They've been in rebuild mode for 10 years.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

What say you?

I woudn't miss cedeno that's for sure and I don't even really know who gallagher is so I'm for it

Waht about Pie? A lot of speculation that the Orioles are holding out for him as well. Gallagher is a minor league pitcher, a had a cup of coffee with the Cubs last year http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/sean-gallagher.shtml

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Obviously, forty-two understands this, and butters is being the prototypical ass that defines the whole subsection of fans forty-two is talking about.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Were you hoping for me to disagree? I'm an Indians fan, dawg. Fuck Boston, New York, and B-more. Why don't you go let Texas or whoever put 30 runs on the board?

Oh thats right, you are from Cleveland - that explains anything.

Hey, its easy to put up those runs when you throw out single A pitchers and the Rangers keep their starting lineup in the entire game, whatever - that shit was fun to watch.

Have fun losing Sabathia.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    speaking of which, Brian Regan isn't really that funny to me. His jokes all seem sort of obvious.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Hi5

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pie is pretty average. Fast, but for a couple of years the Cubs did nothing but go after leadoff guys, which was not only a dumb idea, but none of the guys they picked up could get on base for shit.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    there are some cubs fans who run around saying IF THE CUBS EVER WIN THE WORLD SERIES IT WILL BE TERRIBLE BECAUSE THEN THEY WON'T HAVE ANY CHARM HUUUUURP and THEY AREN'T EVEN TRADITIONAL THEY PUT LIGHTS IN THE STADIUM

LIGHTS WHAT THE FUCK

what I'm trying to say is those people are retarded

BUT

fuck the guy who owns the cubs now saying he'd sell the name to wrigley field

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Oh please, the Indians were so fucking futile for DECADES they made a movie. And the sequel they shot in Baltimore because they realized that Cleveland was such a fucking hole.

Enjoy it while it lasts, you'll jump off that bandwagon soon enough.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tonkka wrote: »

Hi5

my main gripe with the rockies losing the series wasn't even them losing it

it's that i would much rather the indians had taken it than goddamn boston

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Oh please, the Indians were so fucking futile for DECADES they made a movie. And the sequel they shot in Baltimore because they realized that Cleveland was such a fucking hole.

What movie did they shoot in Cleveland?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Bandwagon my ass. I've lived hear for over 18 years, never cheered for another team over them, and we have 7 division titles since 1995. As for Sabathia I do want him to stay but if Carmona has another great season he's going to be praying for another chance to prove himself in the playoffs before he goes anywhere else after this season. And if we are looking good and he's still not happy fuck him. Trade him and be done with him.

I don't fear for our pitching much.

Butters on
  • Options
    The WalrusThe Walrus ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    I'm going to be watching the Tigers very closely this year

trading pretty much your entire farm system for one last hurrah. It would be very interesting if they pull it off.

I expect you to beat on the White Sox, Twins and Royals every year. In fact I expect the Detroit Rotation to sire children with the wives of other AL Central teams. Expect Gavin Floyd's first kid to look a lot like Gary Sheffield.

As a White Sox fan I quake in fear while looking at the roster in Detroit

The Walrus on
    http://wreck-age.net Home of your soon to be favorite post-collapse, dystopian, SF Table Top Strategy game & RPG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyacinthgames/a-tabletop-rpg-and-board-games-project-from-chicag
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Butters, I used a sweeping generalization to slosh you in with Yankee fans and call you an ass and I get nothing in response.

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO INCITE YOU THESE DAYS, DAMMIT

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Given the trending:

2007 AL East 69-93 (.426)
    2006 AL East 70-92 (.432)
    2005 AL East 74-88 (.457)
    2004 AL East 78-84 (.481)
    2003 AL East 71-91 (.438)
    2002 AL East 67-95 (.414)
    2001 AL East 63-98 (.391)
    2000 AL East 74-88 (.457)
    1999 AL East 78-84 (.481)
    1998 AL East 79-83 (.488)

You have to be very hopeful to think that this year the Orioles will grow into a winning team. They are "rebuilding" by selling off anybody worthwhile and their pitching is a mess.

My sister is a lifelong O's fan and I go see a few games every year, but looking at the big picture, I can't do much more than wish upon a star or something for them to have a decent season.

Pitching is FAR from a mess. A ton of youth. Adam Loewen could easily be the next Erik Bedard, Guthrie will be what he was last year, Daniel Cabrera he needs to shit or get off the pot - but he has the most dominant stuff of the pitching staff. If he gets his location down, its over.

The bullpen that was fuck awful last year has been revamped through trades and call ups. The horrid O's pitching staff last year was decimated by injuries, especially in the last couple of months. A+ and AA pitchers were in there because we just ran out of bodies. That has changed this year, through trades and more mature call-ups.

Now, they will have a rough year. They lack a decent legit HR bat in the middle of the order and they are going to be young. But coming down the pipe:

Billy Rowell (First round pick in 06) Big, tall power hitting third baseman/ first baseman
    Matt Wieters (First round pick in 07) Big, tall powerful switch-hitting catcher out of GSU. He is pretty much ML ready. He could be seeing action in Bmore by July. he is the starting catcher next year.

Plus all of the pitchers we got from Seattle and Houston. Add that to proposed stuff in many Roberts deals, the Orioles are finally - FINALLY - playing for the future, it looks bright.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Walrus wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    I'm going to be watching the Tigers very closely this year

trading pretty much your entire farm system for one last hurrah. It would be very interesting if they pull it off.

I expect you to beat on the White Sox, Twins and Royals every year. In fact I expect the Detroit Rotation to sire children with the wives of other AL Central teams. Expect Gavin Floyd's first kid to look a lot like Gary Sheffield.

As a White Sox fan I quake in fear while looking at the roster in Detroit

But do you really quake in fear of that rotation?

altlat55 on
  • Options
    DaimajinDaimajin Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Buh-leted

Daimajin on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm cautiously optimistic about the Cubs this year. They've got a good bunch of guys that stepped up last year back, and they added Fukodome, and I think Lee and Ramirez kind of had off years last year, so I'm hoping they can have really good years.

The Brewers are pretty scary, though, and will be for a while if they can keep that team together.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    PicklesPickles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wish the Cardinals would even try anymore. Apparently a World Series title gives them license to pick their noses for a couple of seasons.

EDIT: Then again, 2 years is a lot shorter than 99 so all is well I suppose.

Pickles on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pickles wrote: »
    I wish the Cardinals would even try anymore. Apparently a World Series title gives them license to pick their noses for a couple of seasons.

EDIT: Then again, 2 years is a lot shorter than 99 so all is well I suppose.

What exactly were they supposed to do this off-season? I mean.. granted their starting rotation is a godawful abortion of torn ligaments and all that.. but the free-agent market wasn't particularly deep. If Lohse can eat his usual 180+ innings and end up with ~12-10, I'd consider that a victory. And if Mulder or Carp can manage to not fucking injure themselves again, anything is possible.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You should have to pass a written exam to be able to call yourself a "fan" of a team. And you should have to carry a card. So when I get called bandwagon jumper for cheering for the Sox and the Pats even though I've lived in MA for 22 fucking years, I can whip my card out and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Also, Curt Shilling should fucking die of cholera and rot in hell.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Critical wrote: »
    You should have to pass a written exam to be able to call yourself a "fan" of a team. And you should have to carry a card. So when I get called bandwagon jumper for cheering for the Sox and the Pats even though I've lived in MA for 22 fucking years, I can whip my card out and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Also, Curt Shilling should fucking die of cholera and rot in hell.

Yeah, damn that Curt Schilling, helping you win all those games and World Series-es after 86 years of heart-break.

Damn him to hell!

PS. I hate Curt Schilling's drama-queen antics too.

FortyTwo on