As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any chance for a Magic: The Gathering Tourny?

AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
Or perhaps just some amateur fun games? I havn't bought cards in years, but it's still extremely fun to play. I wouldn't win anything, but I would enjoy my time losing.

How about it?

Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
Andwarf on

• Options
    Penguin Born To FragPenguin Born To Frag Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I sold my cards off years ago, if you have extras I'll try and play lmao.

Penguin Born To Frag on
    "Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now." - Funny 'motivational' poster on ThinkGeek.com
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Shoot, I'd be up for a game. I'll bring my "Avast, me Harteys!" deck. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Wow, would you look at that. I was planning on bringing a deck or two in case anybody wanted to play. Well, keep that in mind and try to find me.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I havnt played since my friends either stopped, or moved... last cards I bought were a couple packs of 8th to check out the new look, specifically foils(which look damn nice in my opinion), but the last time I played was at the Legions pre release. And I dont have any really good decks, and generally suck at the game too, so, doubt Ill bring my cards.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, I mostly have cards that I borrowed from a friend (he stopped just after Ice Age), and I have about a dozen or so packs worth of cards from around the Oddessy expansion, but that's about it. =) Looks like we'll be old schoolin' it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Claytonian_nClaytonian_n Registered User new member
    edited July 2004
    does that pirate deck have the Drowned in it? Or how about that fake pirate ghost ship card from Scrye?

Claytonian_n on
    my comic:
    fatbanner.gif
    sure. I was once dead. and rise.
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Nay, it's actually a blue/green deck based around Capsize strategies. Basically, the deck is a humorous one who's strategy is as such:

1) Generate a freakload of mana.
    2) Play capsize and buy it back.
    3) Repeat 2 as much as possible.
    4) ???
    5) Emerge victorious!

lol =) Anyways, it's impossible to use due to mana costs when you play 1v1, so I usually bring it to large group games where you can do crazy stuff before people notice what's going on. =) The largest game I ever played in was a 10 player FFA, and I ended up having enough mana generated every round to do Capsize 5 times with buyback. =) It still didn't win the game for me, but it was humorous, and that's the important part in large group combat. =)

Speaking of which, can we play some large group games? You haven't had fun with Magic until you've played a large group FFA. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    if anyone has a deck they can spare i'd possibly be down for a game or two

be aware that's it's been an INCREDIBLY long time since i've played, i'd have to catch up on the rules

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    jimdemonakosjimdemonakos Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Just bring your deck (and so should others) - most of the tabletop games will be pick-up games, so you'll likely find people there who want to play.

jim.demonakos
    Andwarf wrote:
    Or perhaps just some amateur fun games? I havn't bought cards in years, but it's still extremely fun to play. I wouldn't win anything, but I would enjoy my time losing.

How about it?

jimdemonakos on
  • Options
    dnmcgoydnmcgoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Might I suggest a Round Robin Booster Draft or Sealed tournament? It would cost some money for each person to pay for the packs, but that would only come to about 10 bucks per person for 8 players. Plus in that scenario there would be 12 packs to distribute between the first, second and third/fourth place (6 for first, 4 for second and 1 for both third and fourth is usually the way that it happens at tournaments..or something about like that.. however that's in single elimination where 3rd and 4th are both in hte same ranking)... anyway its about 80 bucks for a box over at StarCity. The main problem I see with this is that people who know the current set will be the only ones that play this game, since they will rape anyone that hasn't played in a while. One solution to this is to up the amount of packs each person gets at the beginning, although 3 is pretty standard. I really like booster or sealed in an environment where people don't have their own decks/haven't played in a while. The new sets really are pretty interesting. Another possible problem is that since there would be prizes in this format, some places don't like that happening since some places consider it a form of gambling. Not sure that anyone would care if there is something wrong with that, however, I'm just curious about that. Anyway, if people are interested in this, we should get a small tournament organized on the forums.

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I reckon that'd be too much of a hassle, having a booster draft. What if the people who play MTG don't even find each other? I suggest (and I'm probably going to do this anyways) carrying around a deck or two in pockets. Good luck finding me, though.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Aye, a booster draft would be too formal. I'm picturing this now as an almost western-style "calling out". Hold your two best decks with you, and people will come up and call you out to a match while you're watching Doom 3 or hanging around the PC Tourney room or something.

Pardon me, but are you asking for a challenge??? (fiery explosions etc...)

j/k, but seriously, we're probably better off doing catch-as-catch-can MTG.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    dnmcgoydnmcgoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, that's cool. I guess I've just been itching for a booster draft, since the last time I was able to play one was at Mirrodin pre-release last year. Stupid Kentucky and not having any Magic tournaments. But I've got a few decks I could bring along.

dnmcgoy on
  • Options
    Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Wow, i havent played that game for like 5 years!! It was a great game, but when i moved to tx i didnt have anyone that palyed it. I might be rusty, but perhaps I will bring my cards and try to fit it in betweent the tourny's!

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • Options
    WhitePantherWhitePanther Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'll grab one or two of my old decks as well, but I DO like the idea of a draft... something a little more evened out. Of course, I haven't played seriously in like... 4 years myself... Wheee.

WhitePanther on
  • Options
    morosemorose Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Yup, I'll be bringing my only remaining deck just in case... assuming I can find it after all these years. :)

morose on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Don't worry. I reckon I'll be able to get some of you up to speed with some of the new abilities.

However, since some of you seem pretty out of it, should I just assume that some of you will use cards that are now banned? I guess all cards (excluding Unglued, of course) are in play! Comments?

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, my decks suck, but if you guys do some drafts, Id be willing to join in... Whatever sets...

Personally, for some reason Ive always wanted to do a Shit Draft of Fallen Empires, Homelands, and Prophecy... Maybe a 4th pack of something since FE and Homelands are, if I remember correctly, 8 card packs? Some really crappy decks could be made, and the packs may possibly be found cheap.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    OMG, i just went out and bought 3 expansions for my decks and now I cant even find my original cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay tuned... ggggrrrrrrrrr!~

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Excluding Unglued??!?!? *puppy dog face*

WhitePanther on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    ....okay, excluding fun cards like Handcuffs and Censorship. Ones that involve more player involvement (but don't benefit one player).

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    morosemorose Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm all for old, broken cards... but unglued is pushing it. ;) My deck was legal for type 1.5 at some point. Haven't followed much since about 2-3 years after I played in the pro-tour in 1996, so I suppose it's possible some of those cards are restricted now... but doubtfully banned completely.

morose on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    All my decks are up to date. Which is a shame because I had to get rid of some awesome, awesome combos.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Hmm, I've been looking for a reason to rebuild my currently-not-tournament-legal-anywhere Timmy Gun deck... But that probably won't go over well, although it wasn't this deck's fault it's not legal anymore (Stupid Mind over matter...)

WhitePanther on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Nah, I don't think Unglued was EVER legal. We shouldn't use those unless everyone agrees that it's okay.

As far as banned cards... they should be out, but perhaps if we could get a list of them? We should also run by type 1 rules, so that we can use our old cards and most cards are only restricted instead of banned entirely. That way we old fogies have a chance. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Nah, I don't think Unglued was EVER legal.
    Geez, you think so?

But yeah, now that I have checked (here) , I suppose that type 1 seems fair enough to me.[/url]

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Well I still havent found my cards, but i think i left them at my sis's house and I am having her look for them. No matter what I will be competing in the R63:BA tourney so you guys need to come say hi to me and my gals!

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    I play regulary and can help with any rules/timing questions. I can also bring some Chaos Magic stuff for big multiplayer games.

Unknown User on