As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sketch [dump] time! (probably NSF56K)

HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Artist's Corner
I like to draw while traveling. I use public transit to go almost everywhere I go these days, so I have plenty of opportunities to do so. Here are the latest highlights from my sketchbook:

3-13page007.jpg
3-13page005.jpg
3-13page010.jpg
3-13page004.jpg
3-13page001.jpg
3-13page003.jpg

This last one was drawn while flying using a photo reference, the late William Buckley:

3-13page009.jpg

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
Heartlash on

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dude, if you're drawing while on public transit, then you might as well take advantage of all the great material before your eyes! Draw those people on the bus with you! It is great practice to draw people on public transit. There is an endless supply of new and different faces, all of which you must try to capture before they get off at their stop.

(This is my attempt at giving a non generic 'life draw more' crit)

Sublimus on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Dude, if you're drawing while on public transit, then you might as well take advantage of all the great material before your eyes! Draw those people on the bus with you! It is great practice to draw people on public transit. There is an endless supply of new and different faces, all of which you must try to capture before they get off at their stop.

(This is my attempt at giving a non generic 'life draw more' crit)

follow this advice.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I've actually done that before (which yeilded this):

3-13page008.jpg

It's tricky, though, because people who aren't models have a tendancy to, well, move... a lot. ><

That said, I do like drawing from life and hope to do it more.

Heartlash on
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    it's all about practice. I'm having a hard time getting my motor skills back in action, but I'm sitting down and cranking out at least a couple five minute sketches from life every night now, prepping for going back to school. Just find someone who isn't moving a lot and focus on whipping up super quick sketches from live reference sources. It doesn't matter if they're great drawings, it only matters that you're doing them. The skill comes in time, it's all just a matter of refining the motor skills and learning better observation techniques.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good advise^
    I sketch people at the local food court on my lunch break most days, most of them are rubbish but I'll usually get one decent sketch a day.

Mustang on
  • Options
    vimotavimota Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Here are some of mine (I'd love some feedback, but keep in mind I'm still learning)
    Caped_Hipster_by_vimota.jpg
    Blond_Girl_Sketch_by_vimota.jpg

vimota on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    advice:

1) Don't hijack someone else's thread, it is considered bad form

2) Practice drawing real people. Not photos, real people. Learn to draw what you know, not what you see.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always want to practice drawing people from life, but I feel so damn weird about it. Asking people to pose is hard enough for me, but I can't even bring myself to draw people who don't know I'm drawing them. Curse my shyness.

Food on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Food wrote: »
    I always want to practice drawing people from life, but I feel so damn weird about it. Asking people to pose is hard enough for me, but I can't even bring myself to draw people who don't know I'm drawing them. Curse my shyness.

Heh, its not ususual. I mean if I looked over and saw a random person was drawing me I'd be a llittle... wierded out.

You just have to be discrete. Though its funny if they catch you looking at them. You pretend you're looking at something else.

Heartlash on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You just have to be discrete. Though its funny if they catch you looking at them. You pretend you're looking at something else.

Amen to that, I try to move as quick as possible, tends to free up your technique as a plus.
    Either that or, i'll just look at someone, get a feel for them and then try to commit it to paper, usually in characiture form.

Mustang on