As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blocking/Limiting Bandwit on Router?

Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Long story short, my roommate is a jackass and I've told him a billion fucking times not to download so many damn torrents and set the damn download at 100 fucking KB! How do I limit his internet as a whole from my Linksys WRT54G router? I told this kid too many times and I'm just going to limit that shit cause I can't do important shit on the internet that dals with school cause he feels the need to pirate fucking Naruto and bleach all damn day.

pasigfa7.jpg
Kewop Decam on

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Long story short, my roommate is a jackass and I've told him a billion fucking times not to download so many damn torrents and set the damn download at 100 fucking KB! How do I limit his internet as a whole from my Linksys WRT54G router? I told this kid too many times and I'm just going to limit that shit cause I can't do important shit on the internet that dals with school cause he feels the need to pirate fucking Naruto and bleach all damn day.

If you can install DD-WRT on your router you should be able limit his connection via his MAC address. I think you're stuck with one of the "micro" versions if yours is a newer WRT54G.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DD-WRT also lets you simply block bittorrent, as well. But yes, the QoS portion should let you do what you wish, and I'd recommend it as just a generally all-around awesome router OS. I have a modern WRT54G I picked up a few months ago, and installing it was pretty straightforward. Just use Windows and use a wired connection.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DD-WRT. Well, you might have to walk me through this one because I never heard of this but I'm going to google it right now.

EDIt - I'm not sure which WRT54G I have, I'll have to check later.

I checked out the site and I'm kind of confused as to what/where to download it. I went to downloads, but it gave me all these directories and I had no clue what I was suppose to be grabbing.

I was at dd-WRT.com Is that the correct site I should be at or no?

Thanks for the help

EDIT 2 - I found a tutorial for it here - http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-12222

Hopefully it's a good tutorial. I can't try it now, but I definitely will later.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DD-WRT. Well, you might have to walk me through this one because I never heard of this but I'm going to google it right now.

I checked out the site and I'm kind of confused as to what/where to download it. I went to downloads, but it gave me all these directories and I had no clue what I was suppose to be grabbing.

Thanks for the help

Hopefully it's a good tutorial. I can't try it now, but I definitely will later.

Make sure you have some hours to dedicate to this. And be very careful. Make the wrong mistake along the way and you could be a few days without a router.

TL DR on
    edited March 2008

Thanks for the help

Make sure you have some hours to dedicate to this. And be very careful. Make the wrong mistake along the way and you could be a few days without a router.

see... now you made me feel like it's not even worth it anymore.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just FYI, upload speed is what will kill your internet, not download speed.

Work out the issue without resorting to trying to hard cap his internet via router. If he's worse with computers than you you'll piss him the fuck off and things will get worse. If he's better with computers than he'll not only undo whatever it is you do, he'll be pissed the fuck off and things will get much much worse.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    TechBoy wrote: »
    Work out the issue without resorting to trying to hard cap his internet via router. If he's worse with computers than you you'll piss him the fuck off and things will get worse. If he's better with computers than he'll not only undo whatever it is you do, he'll be pissed the fuck off and things will get much much worse.

It doesn't matter if he pisses him off. The roommate probably isn't going to listen, and I'm sure Kewop is in a position where he can afford to piss him off. Things aren't going to get "worse" if his roomie is computer illiterate, because the idiot won't be able to work around anything. He can deal with his lower priority traffic and like it. If he is computer literate it is still unlikely that anything will happen since he would lack access to the router's interface. The worst that might happen is that he could try a NVRAM reset via the button on the bottom, but everyone has access to that.

Out of curiosity Kewop, did you forward the ports for him in the router, or did you leave UPnP enabled?

Barrakketh on
    edited March 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    TechBoy wrote: »

It doesn't matter if he pisses him off. The roommate probably isn't going to listen, and I'm sure Kewop is in a position where he can afford to piss him off. Things aren't going to get "worse" if his roomie is computer illiterate, because the idiot won't be able to work around anything. He can deal with his lower priority traffic and like it. If he is computer literate it is still unlikely that anything will happen since he would lack access to the router's interface. The worst that might happen is that he could try a NVRAM reset via the button on the bottom, but everyone has access to that.

Out of curiosity Kewop, did you forward the ports for him in the router, or did you leave UPnP enabled?
    I told his dumbass numerous of times already, next step is a punch in the throat. I'm good with computers, way better than he, I just don't know how to cap things via a router. He can do whatever the hell he wants on the internet for all I care, as long as it doesn't mess with me doing real work.

Fuck Naruto, fuck your damn Bleach, I got grad school shit to do!

EDIT - I didn't forward any ports for him, so UPnP is probably still enabled.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you don't want to bother with DD-WRT (though it is great) there are some limited QoS options in the standard WRT54G firmware. The options may differ based on version, but on mine if you go to the web administration, then Applications and Gaming, then QoS you can set a specific device (by MAC address) to low/med/high/highest, or you can set individual wired ports on the device to low/high priority. That way, if he's downloading tons of shit set to low priority, it shouldn't seriously affect your own usage if you're set higher than that.

It's worth a try first since it will take seconds to set it up. If that doesn't work out, then I'd go for the DD-WRT next.

Daenris on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When you need to use the network, log in to the router, and shut off UPnP. After you're done, turn it back on.

Thanatos on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The other option is to figure out what port his bittorrent client is using and just block that sucker.

Blake T on
  • wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You can also check out http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato , which is supposed to be like DD-WRT but slightly simpler but missing a few features.

Just make sure that you have the right revision of your router, if you decide to flash it with either DD-WRT or tomato.

wabbiteh on
    edited March 2008
    wabbiteh wrote: »
    You can also check out http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato , which is supposed to be like DD-WRT but slightly simpler but missing a few features.

Just make sure that you have the right revision of your router, if you decide to flash it with either DD-WRT or tomato.

Unless he has an old WRT54G (version 4 or older) Tomato won't work because it is too big. Starting from version 5 they cut down the flash memory from 4 megs to 2 megs. They also halved the amount of RAM in it. The standard DD-WRT won't work either, which is why I suggested the micro edition.

Barrakketh on
    edited March 2008
    both computers are connected via a wire if that means anything.

Also, I didn't know disabling UPnP would block torrents, but good to know

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited March 2008
    It doesn't directly, but you need Network Address Translation (NAT) to move the traffic hitting the router to a specific computer, instead of simply being rejected. Most NAT needs to be set up manually, so you tell Port [number] to go to [Computer IP].

UPnP automates that, by telling a router to automatically map a port to the computer requesting it. It's a handy piece of technology that allows more complicated network tools (like torrents) to get set up very quickly. And it's also how your roomy's torrents work without changing anything on the router. So if you turn that off, he would have to manually map the stuff. Note that turning it off will very likely kill his torrents entirely, so prepare yourself for a fight.

EggyToast on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    The other option is to figure out what port his bittorrent client is using and just block that sucker.

Usually when you block a port on a router you are only blocking unrequested incoming traffic on that port, not all traffic. I used to have this same problem with my roommate. She would always be seeding torrents and would leave the house with them running. My solution was to turn off DHCP and change the network from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x, effectively removing her from the network while I got my shit done.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »

Usually when you block a port on a router you are only blocking unrequested incoming traffic on that port, not all traffic. I used to have this same problem with my roommate. She would always be seeding torrents and would leave the house with them running. My solution was to turn off DHCP and change the network from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x, effectively removing her from the network while I got my shit done.

On my router I would just set up an access restriction rule. You can choose whether to use a whitelist or blacklist, give it a schedule, block all internet access or just on a specific port, use filters to block certain types of applications, or write expressions to block access to a specific site or group of sites. You can enable or disable them as you need, so it can be pretty convenient.

Barrakketh on
    edited March 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    It doesn't directly, but you need Network Address Translation (NAT) to move the traffic hitting the router to a specific computer, instead of simply being rejected. Most NAT needs to be set up manually, so you tell Port [number] to go to [Computer IP].

UPnP automates that, by telling a router to automatically map a port to the computer requesting it. It's a handy piece of technology that allows more complicated network tools (like torrents) to get set up very quickly. And it's also how your roomy's torrents work without changing anything on the router. So if you turn that off, he would have to manually map the stuff. Note that turning it off will very likely kill his torrents entirely, so prepare yourself for a fight.

Fight... lol, yea right. I would love to hear his rational for why I should let him pirate stuff when I need to do real work.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited March 2008
    He's already been a dick about it. You cut off his anime, who do you think he's going to raise a stink to? You're in the right, but pirates don't go down without a fight.

EggyToast on
    edited March 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    He's already been a dick about it. You cut off his anime, who do you think he's going to raise a stink to? You're in the right, but pirates don't go down without a fight.

I dunno if that was intentional, but that was funny :lol:

I doubt he'll say anything to me and I'll throw the UPnP back up when I know I don't need to do stuff online, which is pretty much only when I'm asleep.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg