As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW burnout, where to turn?

2»

• SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »
    I should hop back in and respond. I have played Eve in beta, but found the interface intimidating and the idea of leveling skills offline silly. I can't see myself getting into Eve because of the absolute disadvantage I would have in a mainly PvP game because of all the people who have been in since day one. I have heard many horror stories about Eve PvP, and since I tend to get all bent out of shape over PvP in other games (I try not to take things personally, but I still get pissed off), I tend to shy away from it in general.

Here's a few other MMOs I have played:

FFXI: I would still be playing with it if Square/Enix didn't act like fucktards and delete whole accounts characters and all after 3 months of account inactivity (is digital storage in that short of supply in Japan? O_o). R.I.P. lv 43 Red Mage and lv 57 Paladin (separate characters).

SWG: New Game Enhancements (NGE), 'nuff said. (I'd still play if it were a bug-fixed version of the pre- "Combat Upgrade" era plus Jump to Lightspeed). Sony in general can bite my ass for ruining other games like Planetside, too.

Planetside: MMOFPS games may not have been meant to be. Also, see SWG comment.

Shadowbane: Free-for-all PvP and the ability to completely trash another guild's hard earned achievements in the form of player-built castle/cities ruined it for me, plus going back to it later I don't know how the hell I put up with the controls.

Any other Asian MMO I have tried: Get off your high fucking horses with the uber level grinds and get some new material you hacks! It's like hearing the same bad joke over and over with them.

FFXI: Call support. More than likely your character is still there. If you still have acct info that is.

Smashism on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TrinityDoorwaySunset.jpg

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know, at first I thought you posted that and that it was supposed to represent LotRo. Then I realized you want him to go -outside-. D:...

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    You know, at first I thought you posted that and that it was supposed to represent LotRo. Then I realized you want him to go -outside-. D:...

Well to be fair to you this is the MMO forum. But that is still kind of scary

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EWom wrote: »
    MMO's are the new arcades, but cheaper, and not as much variety.

How many of you lined up when you were just wee lads, to drop your quarters or tokens into Street Fighter II, or that new fangled Mortal Kombat, with the blood and fatalities, only to have your ass kicked by some punk ass teenager, who spends all his time there, challenging everyone. Then after you'd had enough humiliation you'd move on to skee ball, or the crane games, or some shotting games, with those huge plastic guns. Hell, you assholes, probably even played that crappy Aerosmith game. Don't pretend like you didn't, you did.

Then one day, you grew up a little, MK and SF just didn't deliver, nobody was there to play you, now that you finally mastered cheaping everyone with Raiden and his <- <- ->, forcing them to block while you widdled away their health, or Scorpion with his "Get Over Here" Upper Cut "Get Over Here" Upper Cut! Deadly combo. Not even the new versions of the games satisfied, for there was a new player in town, and his name was 3D. So you abandoned your 2d ways, where you were finally the master and commander. You stepped up, dropped in your fiddy cents, your opponent knows exactly where their character is, and has them selected before you even see the full screen. Yoshimitsu they choose, he looks like a robot ninja.. ok you think, I'll choose this guy, he looks good. King. He must be good with a name like that. But he isn't good, or at least you aren't with him. One throw and a charged up sword thrust and the first round is over, everyone looks at you like you are some sort of dumbshit for not seeing that coming. I mean come'on, that's the cheapest combo in game, everyone knows to avoid that. Round two begins, beads of sweat drip into your eyes, you are determined not to look like a dumbshit again. You take advantage of this new 3d environment, and sidestep away from that first grapple, thinking you've got the upper hand now, you decide to hit an attack button. But it's already over my friend. You don't know this, but all of standing around know this. I mean, you didn't really expect to beat Chad on your first time did you. It's Chad we're talking about, he's a Sr. and skips 7th period Study Hall everyday, so he can be the first one on the machine.

All excited that you're about to inflict some damage, but before your attack animation has even started, Yoshimitsu is spinning like a mad man.

"OH SHIT! OH SHIT!"
    "Oh, that didn't do much damage at all, I can survive some more of that.." you foolishly think.
    "What's this, my opponent is turning his back to me..." and then, once again it's over, driving his sword th rough his own abdomen, into your's, you've taken just enough damage to die from it. Yes once again, you look like a dumbshit, getting two shotted. Maybe once it's the 4th graders turn to play.

More or less..

So as you can see, Arcades and MMOs are just alike, it's a bunch of strangers gathered around together, showing each other how big their make believe dicks are, and making everyone else who's make believe dick isn't as big as theirs feel like shit. It really is the social aspect, well that, and having the biggest make believe dick.

Well I think that about sums up my feelings.

langfor6 on
  • BloodMuffinBloodMuffin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm in the same position as many, quit WoW a few times but nothing out there can compare to my WoW experience. I've tried CoH/CoV/FFXI/EQ2/DAoC/Lotr/Eve just about everything. Got into a few free MMORPGs but they're just not the same.

I play TF2, but played so much of it I burned out. CoD4 also just kind of lost touch with it after reaching lvl55 in prestige. Bought DoW40k and all the expantions, played most of the games that were out recently but still something lacks.

I guess I should just start doing drugs.

BloodMuffin on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can lose myself in Oblivion for two or three weeks at a time, when I'm burned out on whatever MMO I've been obsessing over lately. It's a very fulfilling game, and a relaxing one too mostly because of the music. Jeremy Soule turns everything he composes into gold.

After a few months of listening to my own playlists whilst grinding levels in an MMO, playing a game with a really good soundtrack is refreshing.

If you kick the MMO habit you'll rediscover that the hobby isn't about playing the same game for an extended period of time. You have to keep buying new ones. This is sort of an odd concept and it reinforces just how cheap that $15 monthly actually is, compared to two or three games monthly at the fashionable $40-$60 price. To say nothing of investments in new hardware, be it PC parts, a console, or any number of accessories.

And then you have to get used to either playing alone, or finding meatspace friends to play with, or making new virtual friends. Say what you will about WoW, you become part of a community in that game like few others out there. Massive playerbase + persistant content = social network.

The best alternative I've found is to attach yourself to some kind of team/clan in a competitve game. I did DotA somewhat competitively for a while (until the massive toolbaggery of the others players burned me out), TF2 has clans all over these days, and there's more games out there. Even if you're just playing for fun, banding together with a regular group is immensely enjoyable because of the sense of accomplishment.

If nothing else think of it as a hiatus of a few months. Gives you a chance to see what gaming's about (if you don't get back into this mysterious "RL" of which they speak) outside of the MMO market.

Of course, if you really want a non-WoW game that'll eat up enough of your time and attention to make you forget that you have other games to play, a family to feed, and friends to speak with, there is only one answer.
    Diablo 2

*twitch*

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    TrinityDoorwaySunset.jpg

You know, if the outdoors looked like that where I currently live I may have heeded that advice, but my current living situation drives me into the shadows. :P

80-NM-Gary-Exit_15-Possible_old_80_N_by_tracks.jpg
    (with more garbage and less mountains)

On topic: I have dealt with support and got the "you're SOL, buddy" line of bull. I made peace with my Squaresoft woes long ago.

Doomulon on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    TrinityDoorwaySunset.jpg

I thought I was looking at the "What a Cool Screenshot" thread for a moment. Took me a second of me going "There is no way LotRO looks that good, I mean some of those screenshots are fantastic, but come on!"

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Blaz'd ONeBlaz'd ONe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MMO's are the new arcades, but cheaper, and not as much variety.

How many of you lined up when you were just wee lads, to drop your quarters or tokens into Street Fighter II, or that new fangled Mortal Kombat, with the blood and fatalities, only to have your ass kicked by some punk ass teenager, who spends all his time there, challenging everyone. Then after you'd had enough humiliation you'd move on to skee ball, or the crane games, or some shotting games, with those huge plastic guns. Hell, you assholes, probably even played that crappy Aerosmith game. Don't pretend like you didn't, you did.

Then one day, you grew up a little, MK and SF just didn't deliver, nobody was there to play you, now that you finally mastered cheaping everyone with Raiden and his <- <- ->, forcing them to block while you widdled away their health, or Scorpion with his "Get Over Here" Upper Cut "Get Over Here" Upper Cut! Deadly combo. Not even the new versions of the games satisfied, for there was a new player in town, and his name was 3D. So you abandoned your 2d ways, where you were finally the master and commander. You stepped up, dropped in your fiddy cents, your opponent knows exactly where their character is, and has them selected before you even see the full screen. Yoshimitsu they choose, he looks like a robot ninja.. ok you think, I'll choose this guy, he looks good. King. He must be good with a name like that. But he isn't good, or at least you aren't with him. One throw and a charged up sword thrust and the first round is over, everyone looks at you like you are some sort of dumbshit for not seeing that coming. I mean come'on, that's the cheapest combo in game, everyone knows to avoid that. Round two begins, beads of sweat drip into your eyes, you are determined not to look like a dumbshit again. You take advantage of this new 3d environment, and sidestep away from that first grapple, thinking you've got the upper hand now, you decide to hit an attack button. But it's already over my friend. You don't know this, but all of standing around know this. I mean, you didn't really expect to beat Chad on your first time did you. It's Chad we're talking about, he's a Sr. and skips 7th period Study Hall everyday, so he can be the first one on the machine.

All excited that you're about to inflict some damage, but before your attack animation has even started, Yoshimitsu is spinning like a mad man.

"OH SHIT! OH SHIT!"
    "Oh, that didn't do much damage at all, I can survive some more of that.." you foolishly think.
    "What's this, my opponent is turning his back to me..." and then, once again it's over, driving his sword th rough his own abdomen, into your's, you've taken just enough damage to die from it. Yes once again, you look like a dumbshit, getting two shotted. Maybe once it's the 4th graders turn to play.

More or less..

So as you can see, Arcades and MMOs are just alike, it's a bunch of strangers gathered around together, showing each other how big their make believe dicks are, and making everyone else who's make believe dick isn't as big as theirs feel like shit. It really is the social aspect, well that, and having the biggest make believe dick.

REVOLUTION X..... Yeah my nerditude is at max right about now.

Blaz'd ONe on
    Your penis size grows exponentially with each piece of epic gear you get.

Once you're fully epiced, you can choose one of three factions: Casual, Raider, PvPer, and then spend the rest of your time accusing the other 2 factions of ruining the game. - Kris_xK
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Of course, if you really want a non-WoW game that'll eat up enough of your time and attention to make you forget that you have other games to play, a family to feed, and friends to speak with, there is only one answer.
    Diablo 2

*twitch*

It's interesting. I started playing WoW while I was still an unemployed student. Thankfully I got a proper fulltime job and then I fell out of WoW, lapsed a couple of times and even did fullblown raiding (5 nights a week, etc). Then I just got sick of the guild and the attention whores they tend to generate.

Since then I've tried pretty much everything. I've gone back to MUDs, I've played Eve, LoTRO, Tabula Rasa, CoX, GW, etc.

The only thing that I can stomach for more than a night seems to be action RPGs in the vein of HGL (but what a piss poor launch), Mythos, TQ, Dungeon Runners. It's more difficult for me to get into most MMOs because the majority of my friends from previous gaming experiences are American and live in a completely incompatible timezone to me. Action RPGs tend to be perfect because I can hop on for 5 minutes or 5 hours and still attempt the same quests, tasks, etc. And on the weekends when schedules do line up, I can still play with those friends in other timezones.

devoir on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I broke away from MMOs for a bit. It is very nice. It won't be forever, I already know this. The longer the better, because coming back to a MMO many months down the line offers a lot of new stuff to get through (usually) and that lasts me until I burnout again.

Start playing games that can end. There is satisfaction in that, and MMOs don't deliver it. Think of MMOs as a system designed by Hitchcock and you'll see my point. The trick here of course, is getting past that "addiction."

Force yourself to play a game you've never played, all the way through. Don't even think about it. Grab a random PC game, or console game, whatever. Usually something older so it's quicker and less involved than modern games. Even if it sucks, just keep going and try to enjoy it. When you are done, you will be a bit more balanced and open to better and different games besides those "get nowhere timesinks."

Example: I quit all MMOs and found a copy of Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers for the NES. Start to finish in one sitting, easy to do if you played MMOs. Turned out to be a pretty fucking fun game and now I am back enjoying games that have Pause features and a final boss again. :)

Good luck bro.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited March 2008
    I think I understand the overall message. Play games one can finish, it may be more expensive, but it's a hell of a lot more satisfying. I actually got back into Vandal Hearts. Hooray for exploits that let you jump from lv 12 to 46 in one battle!

Doomulon on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just wasted hours playing the Transformers the Movie game on PC. It was fun for a minute, but holy crap it got boring.

Still better than WoW. (el oh el)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Try some console gaming or TF2. That's all I've done since WoW, 3 months clean and proud! I struggled finding stuff to do after I quit, but eventually I got into some new games.

Or learn something, I'm contemplating level design in Source.

Snare on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Example: I quit all MMOs and found a copy of Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers for the NES. Start to finish in one sitting, easy to do if you played MMOs. Turned out to be a pretty fucking fun game and now I am back enjoying games that have Pause features and a final boss again. :)

That game only really shines with 2 players. It's not the same if you're not picking up your buddy and throwing him around into electric fences.

DiscoZombie on
    edited March 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    Try some console gaming or TF2. That's all I've done since WoW, 3 months clean and proud! I struggled finding stuff to do after I quit, but eventually I got into some new games.

Or learn something, I'm contemplating level design in Source.

I have TF2 and really want to try it, but my network connections suck where I live and latency limits me to pretty much just MMOs. I am trying to sucker more friends into getting the Orange Box, but without much success since most of em have crappy computers.

Doomulon on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blaz'd ONe wrote: »
    REVOLUTION X..... Yeah my nerditude is at max right about now.

Fuck man. I loved that game.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • BlackLungBlackLung Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I stopped playing WoW for a little while I went to Guild Wars. Not a bad game, just not a fan of all instance based stuff. Then there is console gaming which I went back into heavily before going back to WoW.

BlackLung on
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been thinking about this for a bit....

Disgaea.

there's your grind back, enjoy hitting level 9999 without using exploits =)

really, these games got me off of WoW several times.

any of the Disgaea series actually,

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    Phantom Brave
    Makai Kingdom
    Disgaea 2
    in that order, would be my suggestion.

and you are welcome.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • PitaParkerPitaParker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Going for full achievements on mass effect and all the challenges for COD4 have helped me through WoWs sweet sweet siren song for the last few months.Although sometimes I find myself reading my old realm forums and browsing world of raids/mmo champion checking on whats coming next patch without even realizing it. Doesn't help my brother and one of my best friends still play and talk to me about it constantly. Smart money says I'll be back sometime during summer D:

PitaParker on