As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iron Man: Invincible Upgrade! (WINNERS POSTED)

• Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Why does DC have so many terrible artists on their best books? Most of their top-tier stuff looks it's being drawn by Top Cow/Aspen rejects. Meanwhile they have a bunch of incredibly talented guys slumming at Wildstorm and various low-tier books. Couldn't they have persuaded Neil Googe, Doug Mahnke, or Chris Sprouse to help launch this book? I mean, these are some of their most famous non-Trinity heroes, and they're being drawn by someone who can't seem to work out how a neck is supposed to look.

It could have something to do with their new approach to artists turning in work on-time. They're really cracking down on it, and for a lot of artists, faster = crappier. I'm sure that's not nearly all there is to it, though.

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    nightwing is not a giraffe!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    says you.

Angry on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    That would be the best secret identity ever.

Doodling Iron Man heads:

ironheads1.jpg

None of these are "there" yet but I like playing. The "hot rod red" comment from the trailer had me thinking about car design elements.

DMAC on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Loving the bottom left and middle right ones DMAC. They actually kind of remind me of the new Transformers cartoon.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like the top silver war machiney one

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I'm kind of tempted to ditch the red and gold and go with a "bare metal" look like the Mark II armor from the movie.

DMAC on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd like to see top right in bare metal if you went with that. It is pretty sweet. Though it almost looks overly sleek for Iron Man.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The top left and bottom left remind me a lot of Genndy Genny the Samurai jack Dexter guy, I like the one in the middle of those two though.

And just so you know, I'm very jealous of your work.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    All those designs kick ass DMAC, though my fave is probably the middle one. It's got kind of a lean ultimate iron man thing going on.

Fedora on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The middle one on the bottom looks so happy. All the others look pissed off (why? you're wearing flying power armor with lasers, be happy!). But that one looks like he would kick ass with glee.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That's Iron Man's drift racing armor.

DMAC on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i like the middle left one, but i think it would look better with less chin

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    That would be the best secret identity ever.

Doodling Iron Man heads:

ironheads1.jpg

None of these are "there" yet but I like playing. The "hot rod red" comment from the trailer had me thinking about car design elements.

I really think you might have something with the Hot Rod comment as well if you dont go gun metal grey. I could picture a guy like Stark...rich, man about town mofo that he is wanting to wear a ferrari....

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i like the middle left one, but i think it would look better with less chin

that one does have a little bit of "batman animated series" going on

Hawkstone on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Genndy Tartakovsky rocks my face. That sad, I prefer the top right?

There's not much in it though, they're all excellent starts.

Also: Ultimate armour for the win.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    The top left and bottom left remind me a lot of Genndy Genny the Samurai jack Dexter guy, I like the one in the middle of those two though.

And just so you know, I'm very jealous of your work.

Gendy Tartakovsky is the name you're looking for, I believe.

And to be more on topic: Those look REALLY cool DMAC. I really like the top right, top left, and bottom right, and middle left looks good but it seems too "chinny" for my tastes.

But those all look helluva awesome.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Most of those are pretty decent, but honestly I love the current comic armor so much I'd be hardpressed to find improvements to be made.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I like the current armor too. I'm just trying to come up with something different/interesting. It tends to be a bit easier to "fix" a costume that sucks in the first place.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    maybe just like, change the coloring or something? switch the yellow and the red around?

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You could invert the color scheme, like Blue and Silver, or Blue and Black.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    deantrippedeantrippe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Unsurprisingly, I love them all. The bottom left one is my fave, though. Very unique, but still very Iron Man. The top left one is super solid, too. :)

Anyway, I cannot wait to see what you come up with, dude.

deantrippe on
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would go with the traditional red and gold colours, since he's gone and had a helicarrier made in it and I don't think he would want to go back to the Silver Centurion colours. Should maybe include the SHIELD emblem and maybe some kind of Director's insignia.

It's tricky, since his armour right now is almost perfect both in it's specs and aesthetic. Should certainly suggest the speed and agility that he gained through Extremis (everyone should read that by the way) but at the same time maybe the way to improve it is through bulking it up to give greater protection, more powerful weapons and repulsors. I like the top centre/right helmets, I think things like head-wings, serving no apparent purpose, would seem a bit off on Iron Man.

Azrael on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maybe throw in a bit of a "techno-organic" or even "xenomorphic" feel to it?

May want to consider things from a purely practical standpoint, as well. Like throwing in something to absord excess light around the eyes, like the black face paint various sport players use to keep glare out of their eyes. Maybe something to make the face more aerodynamic, or more functional... you'd really think more cyborgs would have eyes in the back of their heads...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well now that Stark is public again, maybe he needs to drop the mask? Some kind of clear face shield? Just a thought.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maybe replace the faceplate with a kind of display, that can show either a traditional Iron Man visage, with the rhombus slit-eyes and such, or Stark's own face behind it. Would be neat to allow him to look more expressive, even the Iron Man face mode could show a bit of expression. Though that said, if an artist with a more "stylized" way of drawing like Ramos drew Iron Man, I would have no objection to seeing Iron Man raise his eyebrows or something. I know I've seen Boba Fett do that sort of thing in SW comics.

Also, he no longer needs to smuggle the suit around in suitcases etc, so if he wanted to make something larger, like the Ultimate "jet that you wear" suit, he could.

Azrael on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well now that Stark is public again, maybe he needs to drop the mask? Some kind of clear face shield? Just a thought.

After reading this thread I played around with the same thing last night, I found it just doesnt look like Iron man though. I thought I would really like it too since I always thought his eye slits were a little small to be practical, but I just couldnt settle on a look that retained the Iron Man style while exposing the head or even the the eyes.

Hawkstone on
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Or go the other way - in one of the books about his armor (the Iron Manual, maybe?) there was commentary by Stark about how the eye and mouth-slits are pretty much there for decoration now, as they're unnecessary now that he has other ways to see and breathe. Try for something less human-looking while still remembering that he's Iron MAN?

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    7 foot mechanical dong that shoots lasers

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Otherwise known as Iron Man 6?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes.

This.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I mean, you know Ultimate Tony totally would do that.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was thinking of the bulking up this as well. I understand small= quick, but he's also got some power. maybe put something on his back that looks like a generator of some kind?

i also like the non-face face idea. i think that would make him scarier. ooh! or have like, a dome kind of thing for his head, with eyes/mouth that rotate around or something.

maybe scary isnt the way to go for iron man? whatever, just throwing stuff out there.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I generally prefer the looks that actually look mechanical, and not just like a red and gold spandex suit with a shiny gloss.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I did a bunch of sketches for this over the weekend and I'm heading to work to scan them now. Also PantheraOnca, you read my mind... The best designs I came up with look pretty much like the current Adi Granov armor but bulked up in the shoulders and chest and with a back generator type thing :P I'll post 'em in here once I get them all sorted.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Some more heads:

ironheads2.jpg

Ultra Chin Iron Man and Iron Mandarin!

DMAC on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    JAY LENO: IRON MAN

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That top-left one looks like a well-respected British football commentator.

Jimmy Hill: The Iron Man.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want to see something big and clunky. An Iron Man who actually looks like he's wearing armor. I'd almost go so far as to want some kind of steam-punk looking monstrosity. All gears and boilers and fire.

Something like this, only in the Red/Gold that is Iron Man's typical color scheme.

see317 on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd like to see a big-and-clunky version, but I'd also like to see a Silver Surfer-esque slim style armor. Technology has improved, and a really slim version would work well with Extremis.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg