As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Exteel: In Which Men in Robots Fight Like Men. In Robots.

BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
exteelbig.png

Exteel is (besides a ridiculous word) a free online third-person shooter full of mechs. That's really all you need to know, right? No? Fine.

Be! A Mech-Pilot
Exteel is a pretty standard lobby-based multiplayer setup, but your pilot is a persistent character; as you compete in battles you'll gain experience and cash RPG-style. You can spend your character points on various skills (Marksmanship, Speed, etc) and your monies on new robot upgrades and weapons.

Build!
A Giant Robot
If you've played Armored Core, you know the drill: different mech parts have different stats, and you can customize your ride to fit your playstyle. Want to fly across the battlefield in a speed machine? Make something like this:
exteelfast.png

Rather stomp around in something that can actually take a few hits? There's this:
exteelheavy.png

Blow!
Shit Up
Exteel's gameplay is pretty damned fast and furious, and again pretty similar to Armored Core. You can get up-close and personal with a sword (or two), pound the everloving shit out of some poor schmuck with a cannon, make a strafing run with submachineguns, or pepper the area with long-range missiles. Pretty much any playstyle is available to you.

Things to Know:
Exteel is one of those "free-to-play" games. You know, the kind that ask you for real money for the really good stuff. Also the kind that has real-life ads inserted into its maps. The "NcCoin"-purchasable items don't really seem much better stat-wise than the regular ones, and the ads are fairly unobtrusive (and almost entirely for NCsoft products, including several for Exteel itself. It's kind of meta.), so it's still enjoyable.

Do all of the training missions when you start out. Not only will they teach you the basics (which, being a seasoned gamer, you probably don't need, but whatever), they provide you with much-needed weapons and some extra scratch. Between the cash and the sellable parts (click "Scrap" on the item entry in your Hangar menu), you'll have enough to get some decent weapons and/or pimp your ride.

Joining the PA Crew:
The Clan system seems to be a bit... not there yet, but there is a working friends system and private channels for organizing battles. We'll figure something out. Sign into the game, post your callsign here, and we'll hook you up.

Bitstream on

• BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Reserved for future use.

Bitstream on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Screenshots. Screeeeeeeeeeeeenshots! Pander to my short attention span!

Glal on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pilot name is LastSon. Here are some pretty pretty screens for those who want in-game shots.

Ready? Ready.
    exteel_01_medium.jpg
    This is my boomstick.
    2_1.jpg
    It makes things explode.
    exteel_08_medium.jpg
    I don't even know what is going on in this shot.
    exteel_05_medium.jpg

Last Son on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sold.

Glal on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. Right when I thought I was done with my MMO addictions you go and show me this.
    <3<3<3

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game is totally badass. Me and three of my other friends played it when it first got out of beta and we spent a week or so having a blast (realize that my friends spend 2 days on a game, then move on...taking one week on a game means it's good).

But yeah. Mechs + PVP + Explosions = Great fun time. Hopefully a lot more stuff gets added in the upcoming months.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not quite getting the combat in this game. Sometimes it takes forever to try and kill someone but I seem to go down like a cheap prostitute all the time.

It's pretty fun, but aggravating at the same time.

reVerse on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alright I downloaded the game and ran through the tutorial, and every thing worked fine. But when i go to access the store or the hanger the game crashes.D:
    Help?

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    edited March 2008
    I had a bit of a crashing problem when I started. Updating graphics card drivers did the trick for me.

Also, dual swords for the win.

reVerse on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ooookey.

So they get you by letting level 1's buy NCoin and have insane gear in the 1-4 rooms, totally destroying anyone without the "good" stuff.

Fun concept, though the clear advantage to those willing to pay real money is a bit excessive.

Reminds me of Virtual On which is never a bad thing.

Since it's free I'll give it some time, make some cred's etc. I can't see myself willing to spend actual money on anything though, regardless of the fact that 75% of the weapons, at least, seem to be NCoin only.

EDIT: Oh, dur, the weapon list is ordered by NCoin/Credits. There are a ton of credit weapons.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    I had a bit of a crashing problem when I started. Updating graphics card drivers did the trick for me.

Also, dual swords for the win.

I'm pretty computer illiterate, how do I do that?:oops:

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Protip: Don't join a 1-24 game as a 1

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2008
    ooookey.

So they get you by letting level 1's buy NCoin and have insane gear in the 1-4 rooms, totally destroying anyone without the "good" stuff.

I bought some stuff but I don't really see the difference between what I got and the starter weapons. Don't seem to hit any harder. I look cooler, though.

reVerse on
  • Victor15bVictor15b Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shut up. Just shut up.

You had me at giant robots.

You had me at giant...robots...

Victor15b on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember this in beta. It was fun, but it really gets ruined once you realize how much grinding you actually have to do.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    I remember this in beta. It was fun, but it really gets ruined once you realize how much grinding you actually have to do.

But it's not really grinding when you're playing against other people, no? I mean, yeah, you have to fight through many rounds to get credits, but it's not like you're killing 300 identical Red Zombie Whelplings for rep or anything.

Way too fun to be a grind.

Bitstream on
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure what this thread is doing here at the MMO subforum. Calling this game an MMO is like calling Unreal Tournament an MMO.

reVerse on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not quite getting the combat in this game. Sometimes it takes forever to try and kill someone but I seem to go down like a cheap prostitute all the time.

It's pretty fun, but aggravating at the same time.

The newbie mechnaught has armor the approximate thickness of wet tissue paper, but is very very fast as a result. If you upgrade to standard/heavy armor your survivability goes up quite dramatically.
    ooookey.

I bought some stuff but I don't really see the difference between what I got and the starter weapons. Don't seem to hit any harder. I look cooler, though.

What did you upgrade to? Most of the weapons are balanced by RoF/overheating/damage/Accuracy, so your weapon may not be hitting much harder but you'll be able to fire it for much longer without overheating, or have a larger lock-on zone.

Also it could simply be your targets were using better armor when you got your new weapons. An easy way to test damage out "for real" is join a Last Stand game set to level 1-2 and see how many shots it takes to destroy a bot.

Last Son on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I said I was going to make a thread, Bit.
    Didn't I?
    I did.

I didn't think to check here first. Mine is in G&T.

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    ooookey.

The gear you can buy really isn't that good. It certainly helps but I was #1 in multiple matches against a few guys who had fully store bought stuff.

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I made this thing at three in the morning. Bad decision-making all around.

Acc's thread is better, and it's where I meant to put this one last night.

Bitstream on
    edited March 2008
    I rather fancy your thread, Bit.

Accualt on
    edited March 2008
    Blrallglglglg.

Does getting credits get easier as you progress? Also, I just bought another blade and holy fuck, I think I found out what I want to make my mech.

Motherfucking Speedy Gonzales with dual blades.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2008
    Melee combat in this game is so hard because your stupid ass mech stops every time you take a swing. It's impossible to catch up a good player and they can just pepper you up with their guns from afar and there's jack shit you can do about it.

reVerse on
    edited March 2008
    I don't know, if the person doesn't have good reflexes and can't booster back a bit to fire at you they are pretty fucked.

Plus the lower levels look like they have energy problems, so it's not like they can boost forever.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2008
    Melee combat in this game is so hard because your stupid ass mech stops every time you take a swing. It's impossible to catch up a good player and they can just pepper you up with their guns from afar and there's jack shit you can do about it.

There are some Sword+ skills you can buy that will make you dash forward with the sword or fire a shot from your gun that causes a short stun. Early on, no, but early on most players aren't good enough to actually avoid all of your melee attacks.

Accualt on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Been playing this most of the morning, and oh god I'm addicted. Over everything what I prefer to run around in is a normal type of mech, I got my points spread into speed mostly but also some in health. I am one fast motherfucker, especially with my new booster. What I'm doing is running around with a sword/shield combo which is working out quite nicely. Get in, hack a person to bits then boost the hell out of there while holding the shield up to deflect the likely huge volley of fire.

Then theres my second weapon, I chose a cannon. I'll sneak my way up to a high spot and just wreck people until they figure out where I am, then I'm off like the roadrunner. I've gotten a couple of maps memorized to the point where I can lose someone, or even a whole mob of people easily. And after a few matches they all come after me cause of my antics so thats a good thing.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2008
    I hate that stupid white arena map. You know the one, where there aren't any walls, just this big white blob of land. I hate that map. Seriously.

reVerse on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think I'll give this a download, between school and Squadron tomorrow I dunno when I'll get around to getting in through.

I think my goal will be to make the fastest mech possible

Scooter on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    reVerse, the best way to deal with that map is to travel on the edges. You wont have to worry about falling off so you can just move around along the edge of the arena instead of rushing through the middle and getting turned into swiss cheese. I should definitely mention, always try to stick with your teammates, going at it along will usually just get you killed.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2008
    I only play deathmatch. Team games don't interest me terribly much.

But yes, even if you just stick to the edges it's still a stupid, boring map.

reVerse on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was in the closed beta for this. My only real warning is that the gameplay is extremely repetitive. It is fun in the beginning, but you can only stand it for so long.
    My biggest gripe with the game is that there isn't any hit detection. If you're locked onto someone when you fire, it hits. If you're not, it misses. Doesn't matter if they're sitting right in front of you or not.

YMMV of course, and it is quite fun in the beginning, but I wouldn't drop any money on it.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited March 2008
    It's just repetitive in the way that all DM/CTF/capture, etc games are repetitive.

Which is to say your fun depends 99.9% on who you're playing with.

Granted, I don't play FPS's much these days, and haven't since TRIBES (one, not the other bastard games), the fact there's so many upgrade and customization options for your mech, and apparently you can have multiple mechs for variety, adds a lot.

Though, man, they need to add some more maps. In an hour I think I had seen every single map four times.

I suppose I should go visit the G&T thread, but we need to get a roster going. Is there like an in-game buddy list or clan system?

The Dude With Herpes on

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The setup here reminds me so much of Silent Death Online.

Which is awesome because SDO was awesome. Way to go NCSoft.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, Acc's thread has a roster going, and I'm not sure if we've worked out the dark magicks involved in getting a clan going or not.

Bitstream on
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dual pistols pew pew pew.

Lep on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Consider me intrigued.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How long does it take to download/install this? I'd like to give it a shot, but my connection is not the fastest and I'd rather not have this clogging the pipe for a period of days.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Installer is only 438 mb, and then the patches take up about 82 mb more.
    Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the paint.

Lep on
    edited March 2008
    You can only use it on body parts, not weapons; but when you select a part in the hangar, below it is a lot of little boxes. you click the box to change the paint color.

You only start out with Light-Blue/Red/Green/ (and another), and at least on my PC I can't really make out the colors of the first four "boxes", but they are these colors. If you buy a new paint, you'll see the color more clearly to select. You can choose different colors for different parts.

Commence clown-bots.

The Dude With Herpes on

This discussion has been closed.