As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Electric Razors

ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
No, not the stupid scooters for lazy asses.

I'm looking at purchasing an electric razor for facial shaving (I'm well aware of the ball shaver). I've browsed through Amazon and other sites and I seem to see more positive feedback regarding Phillips-Norelco over Remmington units. Nonetheless, I'm pretty clueless in terms of what features I should be looking at.

I've had facial hair since middle school, having a full mustache since 9th grade. After a week of non-shaving, I already look like a bum. So I'm trying not to waste cash every month buying new razors.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
Arikado on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Personally I used to use a Philips and hated it. Maybe I just had a shitty razor, but for some reason the whole 3-headed thing never worked too well for me. I've been using regular non-electric razors for a few years now, but I've been meaning to look into electrics again. Both my brothers have the foil-type razors and seem to really like them, so that's what I intend to try.

Daenris on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I'm probably going to avoid the three headed ones as I don't see the advantage and they also seem to be the more expensively priced.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I looked into them on and off for a few years. I had a cheap one in high school that simply didn't work on my face. I bought a more expensive one later on, only to discover that they simply don't work for me.

Some people simply have thicker facial hair, and the electrics simply don't do a good job. It's like, what's the point of shaving with an electric if you've got stubble again in 4-5 hours? I shave with a regular razor and I'm smooth for the entire day.

I've got a buddy who uses an electric and loves it, but it also takes him 2 weeks to start to grow a beard. Mine's long in a week. It also takes him essentially the same amount of time to use the electric as it does for me to use a razor. And it really sucks to spend over $100 only to discover that you hate the shave you get w/ an electric.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I agree with the above.

If your beard grows thickly, or the hair is strong, you'll always have a smoother shave in less time with a razor. I've got a Braun cruzer 3 which I bought because it had a trimmer but it's almost useless. The trimmers don't cut nearly well enough, and the main head leaves a stubble.

I can, however, recommend Gillette gel foam. You need much less per shave than normal foam. It's expensive, yes, but very comfortable. Couple that with a nice razor and you'll save time.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you have thick facial hair, you wont get as close of a shave as you will with a razor.

I use the Phillips Norelco 6380 trimmer. I have a full on beard, and this little wonder is great for trimming that. It comes with an assortment of attachments including a small electric razor head which is good for finer hair, but doesn't do a damn thing to my thicker stubble.

Also, dry shaving with an electric razor seems to leave skin much more sensitive than with a quality wet razor. Then again, everyones skin is different so your reaction will always be different.
    You can always get a straight edge razor. :D

Anyways, if you have thicker hair, stick with a regular razor.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Some people simply have thicker facial hair, and the electrics simply don't do a good job. It's like, what's the point of shaving with an electric if you've got stubble again in 4-5 hours? I shave with a regular razor and I'm smooth for the entire day.

Lucky you. I shave with a regular razor and have stubble again in 4-5 hours :)
    Arikado wrote:
    Yeah I'm probably going to avoid the three headed ones as I don't see the advantage and they also seem to be the more expensively priced.

I believe that -- aside from beard trimmers/groomers, and their "BodyGroom" one -- Philips Norelco only sells the three-headed razors. At least that's all their site shows. So I was suggesting staying away from them, as my personal experience hadn't been good. Then again, maybe I just haven't looked enough and they have them hidden away somewhere.

Daenris on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but look into "lectric shave". It's this green mouthwash looking stuff that makes the hairs stand on end to make it easier on the electric razor. I used one in high school and college and that stuff was a lifesaver. if you're dead set on electric shaving it's the way to go.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?